Wii: (Biohazard)Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

AstroFan
http://wii.ign.com/articles/732/732520p1.html

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. eek!

IceJaw
Originally posted by AstroFan

MadMel
http://wii.ign.com/articles/732/732520p1.html

veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery..eek!

AstroFan
Using the Wiimote with RE4's aiming system would be sweet. big grin

IceJaw
yes

AstroFan
Some motion sensitive puzzles would be cool too.

AstroFan
http://i.i.com.com/cnet.g2/images/2006/256/933020_20060914_screen001.jpg

General Kaliero
Pretty broken door...

Damn, this better be sweet. Too bad it won't be Resident Evil 5, but hey, that's what the 360's for, right?

AstroFan
It looks like the room from the mansion in the first game, the door with the statue in the center.

General Kaliero
The Wii movie played at the show has some sweeping camera movements, and I am 90% sure it's a return to the Mansion.

MadMel
cool

SaTsuJiN
that would be interesting... I hope the zombies and stuff get more AI... I mean I know they're supposed to be mindless zombies... but it was kinna scary when you'd try to run from the crimson heads and you'd hear the door open and slam after you left the room

IceJaw
I hate those moments and it's the biggest reason to why I let my buddies play Resident evil 1 (GC remake) no expression

MadMel
lol..
in truth, iv never played a single RE game...but if its on wii i might wet my whistle (or more likely sh*t myself)..

IceJaw
laughing out loud

Try RE 4

MadMel
nej...saving money remember stick out tongue

SpadeKing
Originally posted by IceJaw
laughing out loud

Try RE 4

you mean those creepy ass bugs jumping out of peoples head.

wait until you play RE5 better graphics, and the zombies can now run big grin

JToTheP
Originally posted by SpadeKing

wait until you play RE5 better graphics, and the zombies can now run big grin

RE5 is just miling RE4's successful gameplay, which I don't like. Capcom said each game now would be original, plotwise, and obviously gameplay. They are just milking success now, and putting Chris who sucked ass in 1 & CV in, as if he wasn't in enough games already.

What about Carlos, Billy was a main character, Rebecca, Why Chris? roll eyes (sarcastic)

IceJaw
Originally posted by SpadeKing

wait until you play RE5 better graphics, and the zombies can now run big grin If you havent noticed, they CAN run in RE4 too stick out tongue

And yeah, why Chris?! Billy is like the coolest RE character (second to Leon) mad

In Fate's Hands
i think its the first one again cause i found a teaser trailer on youtube for it

AstroFan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resident_Evil:_Umbrella_Chronicles

Now that makes it sound cool as hell, and it makes a great experience for fans who started with RE4.

JToTheP
WTF? Originally this game was suppose to fill in all the gaps post-CV, post-Dead Aim and lead up to RE4. I really hope they add new stuff to the RE1,2,3, and 4 "chapters." I personally think the games are masterpieces already and don't need a second go-through.

Also, what happened to the game supposedly starting Jill and Ada, and you control each at different times? blink

lougy
Originally posted by General Kaliero
Pretty broken door...

Damn, this better be sweet. Too bad it won't be Resident Evil 5, but hey, that's what the 360's for, right?

capcom is weired in the sense of saying one thing then going back on it like they did for RE 4, it was original a GC exclusive

JToTheP
Pretty broken door...

RE5 is on Ps3 also.

And this will be better then RE5 to me, #1 I loath Chris Redfield, he sucked ass horribly in the original. I myself in the mansion with only a gun could of survived further, yeah I can't play a piano, but I wouldn't need a ****in sword key to open a "simple lock." He also doesn't deserve his own game, he was already in that piece of garbage Code:Veronica.

5 should of starred Billy, or someone who hasn't been around in a while, or Carlos, Barry, someone.

5 also mooches off 4's gameplay success, which Capcom said in a Game Informer issue preview when RE4 got delayed to January 05' that each game would now have an original, beginning, middle, and ending. If it's so original, why is it repeating gameplay?

Plus with no new videos or images at E3, and every other event that went on this summer, I sense an easy predicition: RE4 gameplay with prettier graphics, in some desert, with useless Chris Redfield pasted in.

On topic though, I really hope Capcom just sticks to the idea of alternating between Ada and Jill. I don't want to play through the original outbreak again. 1-3 are classics, Code:Veronica is trash, and Zero is alright. They shouldn't be re-done.

In Fate's Hands
Originally posted by JToTheP
RE5 is on Ps3 also.

And this will be better then RE5 to me, #1 I loath Chris Redfield, he sucked ass horribly in the original. I myself in the mansion with only a gun could of survived further, yeah I can't play a piano, but I wouldn't need a ****in sword key to open a "simple lock." He also doesn't deserve his own game, he was already in that piece of garbage Code:Veronica.

5 should of starred Billy, or someone who hasn't been around in a while, or Carlos, Barry, someone.

5 also mooches off 4's gameplay success, which Capcom said in a Game Informer issue preview when RE4 got delayed to January 05' that each game would now have an original, beginning, middle, and ending. If it's so original, why is it repeating gameplay?

Plus with no new videos or images at E3, and every other event that went on this summer, I sense an easy predicition: RE4 gameplay with prettier graphics, in some desert, with useless Chris Redfield pasted in.

On topic though, I really hope Capcom just sticks to the idea of alternating between Ada and Jill. I don't want to play through the original outbreak again. 1-3 are classics, Code:Veronica is trash, and Zero is alright. They shouldn't be re-done.

i thought capcom didnt release who is the main character yet?

JToTheP
Originally posted by In Fate's Hands
i thought capcom didnt release who is the main character yet?

All of last year when RE4 was tearing up the charts with success a japanese magazine got translated saying it was Chris, but that was a year ago. Not many new pics, and such, makes a February 2007 release kind of strange.

AstroFan
First gameplay footage...

http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=3393

Wow, that looks absolutely awful. erm

AstroFan
Oh thank god!!!!

Gametrailers messed up and thought this was RE. They even labeled it so.

Ok, my(and GT) mistake, this game looks awful.

http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=2754 roll eyes (sarcastic)

EDIT: If Lana feels like erasing these to posts, she is more than welcome. *hint* *hint* lol

IceJaw
Like...omg shock

Dinalfos
You scared the shit out of me, fella.

Anyway, I think this sounds decent enough, as long as it is a full blown Resident Evil title, and not some half assed spin/rip off a la Gun Survivor or Outbreak. I want them to continue the main story line or fill in the blanks while giving us more of want from an RE game.

I'm much rather play RE5, though. Too bad it won't ever show up on the WII.

Hewkii_Dude
I think GTA is bad game sad

IceJaw
What the f**k? What the f**k? What the f**k?

GTFO

What the f**k? What the f**k? What the f**k?

AstroFan
Originally posted by Hewkii_Dude
I think GTA is bad game sad

Ummm, good to know. confused

AstroFan
Wow, one of my most anticipated Wii games just dropped completely off my list. erm

http://wii.ign.com/articles/778/778247p1.html

Gun Survivor anyone? :no expression

But in better news, RE4 for the Wii. Happy Dance

http://wii.ign.com/articles/778/778248p1.html

Morridini
Hmm, hope they can do something like downloading the Wii version of RE4 through VC for those of us who already have RE4 on GC. I would maybe like to test RE4 on Wii but I won't buy a game twice.

Kazenji
If you havent noticed, they CAN run in RE4 too stick out tongue

Yea and the enemies in RE 4 are'nt zombies i'm surprised you have'nt worked that out yet.

JToTheP
Yeah, this game is going to fail, The Survivor games bombed, this sucks. I wish there was a chance at this, and I'm getting pretty sick of Chris. THIS IS HIS 4TH GAME NOW! WHAT THE HELL IS THIS!

And WHY are they STILL wearing their S.T.A.R.S. uniforms if this is post-CVX, Pre-4 about the downfall of Umbrella? I except the other events to be MENTIONED, but they should CHANGE uniforms now since the city was destroyed.

JToTheP
Stupid Arcade Rail Gameplay, the trailer looks great. sad

http://www.capcom.co.jp/bio_uc/swf/bioUCm1.swf

SaTsuJiN
http://the-magicbox.com/0704/game070404a.shtml

JToTheP
Rebecca looks horrible in that pic on the second page, she looks like she's retarded. XDD

It's a shame this on rail garbage is going to ruin this game entirely, Jill looks so bad ass on Page 3 with 2 guns. sad

MadMel
wait a min

did that article above say that the ps2 version of Re4 was better than the GCN???
DIE!!! *stabs article*

JToTheP
Are you kidding Madmel? The Ps2 version had one new weapon, and Separate Ways. The difference in visuals was BARELY noticable, and the progressive scan, and widescreen support easily made it surpass the GameCube version.

The Wii version IS the Ps2 version with a visual upgrade, but whoop, it was the best game of 2005, let it be already.

Victor Von Doom
Are you kidding Madmel? The Ps2 version had one new weapon, and Separate Ways. The difference in visuals was BARELY noticable, and the progressive scan, and widescreen support easily made it surpass the GameCube version.

New weapon was shit. Why not have a new hat as well?

The difference in visuals was noticeable to me, having played both many times.

Jill is shit.

Alpha Centauri

The Wii version IS the Ps2 version with a visual upgrade, but whoop, it was the best game of 2005, let it be already.

Have I not launched your "PS2 version is better." argument into such an orbit that you were telling me to commit suicide?

"The PS2 version had one new weapon!". Says it all really.

The GC version was better where it mattered. The PS2 had superficial additions that did nothing. Ways is your only argument, and that's not even part of the main game. The main game isn't better because Capcom gave PS2 owners an additional game. The main game isn't better than the GC version. It looks worse, the torch is inconsequential, the new weapon isn't even part of the first play through.

So if your argument is "The PS2 PACKAGE is better because it has a sub-game." then you have a point. Don't sit there claiming that a dulled down version of a better game is any better, though. That's just nonsense.

Main game Vs Main game, Cube wins. It looks better, it was made for that console. It had to be dulled for the PS2. How noticeable it was comes down to either naivety or bad sight, because it was obviously lesser to the Cube graphically. Fact. No "But it was barely...", no. It was factually lesser. I'm not a graphics-hound, but if we're discussing such anal tech specs as progressive scan, which have NO impact on the actual game itself, then I'll mention everything.

So as little as the differences are, Cube's main game is the original and best.

If you prefer the PS2 package because it had an extra game, fine. It doesn't make the main game better. The main game having extra things might make you PREFER it, but it didn't enhance the game in any way that would make it a better game, just a more enjoyable one to you. The torch didn't have an effect or make the story better, neither did the Las Plagas Removal Ray.

So you're about making excuses, only to turn around and accuse anyone who proves you wrong of being fanboys.

-AC

In Fate's Hands
Uh, I heard the Minethrower wasn't in the gamecube version and it was used for play through.

Alpha Centauri
You heard wrong, it's in the Cube version as a regular weapon.

-AC

JToTheP
You're BACK AC? For the love of God this forum is back in the toilet.

Any update again on Umbrella Chronicles everybody?

Alpha Centauri
Yes, because this forum is Trump Tower of KMC based on the fact that you dwell here, right? Laughable. Anyway, why are you now begging to get back on topic? You were happy to debate RE4 before I arrived.

Can you stop being silly and reply civilly? Is it really that hard? If you dislike having your debates shredded, formulate better ones. I'm not here to argue, just discuss.

-AC

((The_Anomaly))
This on rails BS is completely stupid. With it, it fails to even be RE and becomes an arcade shooter. Stupid. Pointless. Who cares? Not me. I wont be getting this game if it turns out like this. Plus I don't want a retelling of the story, I know the story. Add to the existing one, don't just retell it and then throw it on rails, wtf are they thinking? Might as well just call it 'House of the Dead Wii' and be done with it, at least it'd still be true to what it is.

SaTsuJiN
the light gun style games have always been on rails heh... but Time Crisis did it the best

MadMel
waste of an RE game

JToTheP
Yeah, and now there's rumors of two modes, the main game being this on-rails garbage, and the second mode being a scenario post-CV, Pre-4 with regular gameplay. I hope so, but I doubt it, it looks like every RE this generation is going in the toilet.

I sure hope RE2 is remade for the DS now, so I have SOMETHING to look forward to RE wise.

SaTsuJiN
I sure hope RE2 is remade for the DS now, so I have SOMETHING to look forward to RE wise.

if the multiplayer is as bad as the first... count me out

JToTheP
I could careless about multi player, I never played it, and they didn't even make it Wi-Fi, so that's Nintendo's fault. Give me my 3/4 great scenarios, the sub-par Claire A (IMO), Hunk's Game, Tofu's, and Extreme battle. That will be plenty for me, new costumes and Hard mode from the computer. I'd pay $35.

SaTsuJiN
it wasnt even about wi-fi.. if I wanted to play with my friend shaped like a star (because they're to lazy to learn some basic networking), I would have left the game on the shelf lol

in my opinion.. DS's shining area is multiplayer... whether it be local or wifi

no doubt the games single player was fine.. but IMO the real deal would be some RE Co-op... and not that outbreak crap

JToTheP
If you havent noticed, they CAN run in RE4 too stick out tongue

And yeah, why Chris?! Billy is like the coolest RE character (second to Leon) mad

CRIMSON HEADS were introduced in the REmake in 02'. Running Zombies are old news.

And Chris is in it, because he is overrated, and Capcom somehow thinks he deserves a third game. Chris is a chore to play as in the first, Rebecca should of been the second character considering she DID half of the things he had to do. Code:Veronica is a bad game, the worst in the series next to the Survivor series, and Chris didn't help it because he sucks.

RE5 consists of the recycled gameplay from 4, when Capcom promised each game would have UNIQUE gameplay. They sure dropped the ball with Umbrella Chronicles that's for sure, pathetic on rail shooting. I don't care about hallucinations, or going to the stupidass desert.

I sure hope Capcom changes all of the garbage they showed of 5 so far.

JToTheP
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
it wasnt even about wi-fi.. if I wanted to play with my friend shaped like a star (because they're to lazy to learn some basic networking), I would have left the game on the shelf lol

in my opinion.. DS's shining area is multiplayer... whether it be local or wifi

no doubt the games single player was fine.. but IMO the real deal would be some RE Co-op... and not that outbreak crap

Well, I have Mario Kart and that's enough for me multiplayer wise, and I never bought Metroid Prime:Hunters because from what I saw it looked like they put more into the multiplayer than the single player. So, I'd much rather have the perfect single player recreated, with Hard mode from DC/PC included, rather than a crappy single player and good multiplayer.

General Kaliero
Well, I have Mario Kart and that's enough for me multiplayer wise, and I never bought Metroid Prime:Hunters because from what I saw it looked like they put more into the multiplayer than the single player. So, I'd much rather have the perfect single player recreated, with Hard mode from DC/PC included, rather than a crappy single player and good multiplayer.

I have to agree with you there. I originally bought Hunters because I'm a Metroid nut, the multiplayer thing was just an interesting bonus. I didn't even touch multiplayer after a week, because it just became inundated with people using hacks and glitches to make sure they didn't lose.

I much prefer single player on pretty much any game for the DS.

Alpha Centauri
Let's not overlook the fact that Chris Redfield is the main character in Resident Evil. Jill is just an additional option, she's even less of the story (As it stands.) than anyone else. The only game she got besides the original was 3, and that didn't add to the story, it just said "This was happening at the same time.". It didn't reveal any crucial plots or anything. Infact, half of it happened during 2, in which major plot events WERE happening, which happened to involve a member of the Redfield family. Not a member of S.T.A.R.S, not some supporting medic, not some escaped convict.

The only reason Jill will return is if they make a part for her, because as it stands she isn't necessary. She was just part of S.T.A.R.S, it could have easily been Barry in her place, or in Rebecca's place. Chris was given more because he is the main character. This is proven by the fact that the man has a relative in the series, also a main character. Capcom think he deserves another game because, and you may not know this, they created RE and everything surrounding it and inside of it. They decide who is and who isn't worth it.

Wesker is the main villain and I don't know about you, but I haven't seen anybody else in vicious feuds with him besides Chris.

They say Chris is a main character, so therefore he is.

Chris is a chore to play as? This is why Resident Evil isn't for most people. His route is harder and isn't filled with shortcuts. Jill was the "Easy" option and Chris was the harder difficulty, it's not Capcom's fault you need an easier option (Which is precisely what people are implying, before anyone gets all upset.). It's called Survival Horror for a reason, it's not meant to be a comfortable, easy experience. This isn't Devil May Cry. Hence why most of the fun is gone after 5 minutes if you use any kind of infinite weapon. Chris's controls are exactly the same as anyone else's, so I can only conclude it was too hard.

If you don't like him, fine, but to deny his place is silly. Capcom make the rules, they made Chris the main character. Don't go around saying "Rebecca should have been, Billy should have been.", because they aren't. Chris is.

Furthermore, people want to say how overrated Chris is, then go and say "Billy rules!", or "Rebecca rules!". Billy was in it for one game and revealed next to nothing about his character or involvement, we may never even see him again, as for Rebecca, she's just a simple recurring character.

People are essentially saying "WHY NOT PUT *Another RE character* in?!" just because they dislike Chris. That's not how it works. You wouldn't say "Why not have Jubilee? Why Professor X?!" just because you happened to be a fan of a supporting character.

So basically, neither of these people (Rebecca or Billy.) have any long-standing, irreplaceable parts in this game. Rebecca's role in Zero or 1 could have been played by any sprite, same with Jill, same with Billy. They weren't "main" characters in terms of the grander RE storyline, whereas Chris's role was made for Chris, hence why there's a character in two other games called Claire Redfield. Not Claire Coen, Claire Chambers or Claire Valentine.

-AC

SaTsuJiN
I thought veronica was funny... poor alexia's brother XD

on a serious note I enjoyed the pacing and setting of the game.. nothing says 'zombie setting material' like a prison camp in a 3rd world country

chithappens
RE5 is just miling RE4's successful gameplay, which I don't like. Capcom said each game now would be original, plotwise, and obviously gameplay. They are just milking success now, and putting Chris who sucked ass in 1 & CV in, as if he wasn't in enough games already.

What about Carlos, Billy was a main character, Rebecca, Why Chris? roll eyes (sarcastic)

Exactly how I feel. How many damn remakes is Capcom gonna do of Resident Evil.

Aww damn (thinks back to Street Fighter II)

Alpha Centauri
They tried something new with the Wii, you're already bitching about it. They stick to arguably the best gaming formula from the best game, one of the best ever, and you say it's a remake.

I'm glad they don't cater to people like you.

-AC

JToTheP
I have to agree with you there. I originally bought Hunters because I'm a Metroid nut, the multiplayer thing was just an interesting bonus. I didn't even touch multiplayer after a week, because it just became inundated with people using hacks and glitches to make sure they didn't lose.

I much prefer single player on pretty much any game for the DS.

That's what I assumed, like any other online game, but the DS? I'm surprised people could hack the DS so easily, consoles yes, but I didn't know about the DS

Do any of you even give a shit what Alpha Centurai thinks anymore? I think he purely comes here to bust balls and provide no actual information aside from trolling.

Lana
Your last paragraph was WAY out of line and was nothing but a pure troll attempt. Leave the shit like that out of the thread.

JToTheP
Oh come on Lana, his entire last two POSTS were nothing, but indirect trolling attempts toward me. We've been through this before, and I STILL question why he is back on this forum when I haven't seen him make one tolerable post that wasn't trolling someone, especially me.

Lana
Um, really now.

To me, it seemed that his last two posts were explaining why a character would be most likely to be considered the main character of the series, and then commenting on how people complain when a game tries something new but also complain when they stick with the same old thing.

I saw no trolling or bashing in there, and if you think that's what's going on then you are reading WAY into things and making up your own interpretations.

However, what I DID see from you was a direct attempt at calling him out. And I will say once and only once that I will not tolerate stuff like that - from anyone.

If you really have such a problem with someone, then put them on ignore. Problem solved.

Got it? Good.

JToTheP
Well, once again, thank you Lana for failing to read between the lines and be aware that he has tried to turn the opinions of me and others against us. He simply just enjoys to try ram graphical differences, and returning character facts down our throats over and over, when we're clearly expressing our own opinions.

InnerRise
I think I'll skip this.....whatever it is.......I still don't know..........and maybe get Resident Evil 4 for the Wii being that I never played it for either the Gamecube or the Playstation 2.

doped

anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

JToTheP
IGN has a preview, and www.destructoid.com has some info.

If you never played RE4 on either console you should, and the Ps2's sub-game adds to the purchase, and it's $30 even cheaper for anyone buying it on Wii than when the GC and Ps2 ones came out.

SaTsuJiN
whatever console you play Re4 on.. you shouldn't be disappointed

but for future RE outings.. I hope they still keep trying some new things (if just for the sake of adding to RE4's core game play)

I don't think however that another 'gun survivor' is gonna be a good idea... unless capcom learned from their mistake with the first 2 (or was it 3 of them? lol)

JToTheP
Four of them Satsujin, and I own 1 and Dead Aim. :/.

Skeets
I'm picking up RE4 for the Wii.I saw today that it'll only be $30 which is great.

Alpha Centauri
and returning character facts down our throats over and over, when we're clearly expressing our own opinions.

That's PRECISELY it. It's facts Vs your OPINION which you dislike because I prove you wrong each and every single time, with facts. Provide no actual info? I just posted a novel of factual info that YOU skipped in favour of saying "Do you even give a shit what he says?".

So unless you can post in a manner that isn't insulting me because you have lame opinions that have no base, then I suggest you put me on ignore or...OR...reply in a civil manner.

If you don't like being proven incorrect, stop being wrong.

-AC

MadMel
Originally posted by InnerRise
I think I'll skip this.....whatever it is.......I still don't know..........and maybe get Resident Evil 4 for the Wii being that I never played it for either the Gamecube or the Playstation 2.

doped

anata wa wakarimasu ka..... i borrowed re4 from a mate, guess im gonna have to get it too....if it comes out here..

Sweet Escape
This actually looks really intresting. And seeing as how Rebecca is my favorite character, I've always wanted to know what happened to her.

SaTsuJiN
I would expect the RE4 for Wii to have advanced visuals

just from seeing twilight princess for wii and gamecube.. wii should be more than noticeable... if not, capcom is just doing lazy ports

Four of them Satsujin, and I own 1 and Dead Aim. :/.

lordie... I sat through about half of the first one before I became nauseated with the repetition

JToTheP

just from seeing twilight princess for wii and gamecube.. wii should be more than noticeable... if not, capcom is just doing lazy ports

lordie... I sat through about half of the first one before I became nauseated with the repetition

RE4 is going to have an graphical upgrade, but not an overhaul like a game MADE for the Wii.

Yeah, I kinda wish we got Survivor 2 in the US, just so I could of seen how it played. It looked like it was a STEP UP from Survivor 1.

InnerRise

lordie... I sat through about half of the first one before I became nauseated with the repetition Let's hope this is so. I think I may have learned something that said that Resident Evil 4 for the Wii wasn't worth getting, but I'm not sure. Can't really remember where I learned that or if I made it up. confused

General Kaliero
Can't see why it wouldn't be. RE4 on GC was already the perfect game, so just adding intuitive controls and the bonus stuff from the PS2 version can't make it worse.

Plus, 480p.

JToTheP
Originally posted by InnerRise
Let's hope this is so. I think I may have learned something that said that Resident Evil 4 for the Wii wasn't worth getting, but I'm not sure. Can't really remember where I learned that or if I made it up. confused

If you OWN it on GC or Ps2, maybe THAT'S where you learned it?

InnerRise
No, I stated that I do not own it for either system.

Oh well. We'll see when the game comes out.

SaTsuJiN
http://stage6.divx.com/Game-Comparisons/video/1172292/Resident-Evil-4---PS2-Vs--Gamecube

JToTheP
Can we let the visuals go already? The gameplay is the same in both, minus the new weapon in the Ps2. Considering games SHOULD be about gameplay and not so much the most realistic looking graphics, andthe Ps2 doesn't look TERRIBLE, it's just NOT as well lit as the GC version, and the loading times are a BIT longer. I own both, and anyone who owns both is well aware.

Alpha Centauri
I propose a radical idea to all who wish to adopt it.

Can we stop listing ways in which the PS2 version is inferior, only to say it's not inferior?

The graphics do not make the game, but they are undeniably worse. Worse doesn't mean terrible, it means worse. While we're on topic of what does and doesn't affect the game, neither does an additional gun that you don't even get until you've completed it, so can we stop bringing that up as well?

People prefer the PS2 version for one of two reasons: A) The gun. B) The add on.

Neither make the MAIN game any better. So maybe switch the claim to "I prefer..." rather than "It's better.".

-AC

BackFire
Controls are also superior on the GC version by a noticable amount.

I tried playing the PS2 version and was shocked by how less responsive the controls were.

BackFire
double post.

General Kaliero
Technically, it's all irrelevant. This thread is for Capcom apparently trying to resurrect the Gun Survivor style of play, not for Capcom releasing a third version of RE4 and the subjective pros and cons of the previous versions.

Now personally, I'll at least rent this. I have a fondness for on-rail shooters, and this one won't eat my quarters.

SaTsuJiN
Can we let the visuals go already?

I dunno.. its the age of HD gaming... I dont think people want to downgrade on visuals (I personally wouldnt)

besides the video isnt going "omg dont buy it on ps2"... its there for whoever needs help making an informed decision

innerrise happens to be in the market for a version of RE4 so I just tossed it out there.. I have no personal disdain for any incarnation of the game

I dont own a Wii.. but I'm sure my friend will be renting umbrella chronicles for a whirl... sounds like a good way to pass the time at the very least

Alpha Centauri
I dunno.. its the age of HD gaming... I dont think people want to downgrade on visuals (I personally wouldnt)

Precisely.

I'm no graphics hound, but nobody wants to play a game like Smackdown and continue seeing the hair disappear into the body or whatever.

-AC

MadMel
i dont buy wrestling games, so i couldnt care less
i dont have pay tv, so i cant watch wrestling anyways

JToTheP

besides the video isnt going "omg dont buy it on ps2"... its there for whoever needs help making an informed decision

innerrise happens to be in the market for a version of RE4 so I just tossed it out there.. I have no personal disdain for any incarnation of the game

I dont own a Wii.. but I'm sure my friend will be renting umbrella chronicles for a whirl... sounds like a good way to pass the time at the very least

It is, you're right, silly me for being the only one not playing on an HDTV yet. stick out tongue

I know, you're right to show him the link, but the Wii version will get an upgrade anyway just for being ported.

Yeah, pass the time for five minutes before you realize it's Gun Survivor 5.

General Kaliero
In my opinion, JToTheP, it's a bit stupid to be saying the game will suck when you haven't played it yet, or seen anything about it other than a couple short trailers. You don't even know how it will control. Maybe Capcom (who happen to do what they do very well most of the time) learned from the Gun Survivor series' poor reception, and are using this as a chance to redeem themselves in the eyes of the fans. Any style of game can be good or bad, it's all about how the individual game is handled.

Don't put down a game without first-hand experience. That's a good way to miss out on a lot of games you might otherwise have enjoyed.

JToTheP
General, did you PLAY any of the Survivor games, or just Time Crisis, House of the dead, etc?

http://www.gamespot.com/wii/action/residentevilseries/news.html?sid=6169092&om_act=convert&om_clk=multimodule&tag=multimodule;picks;title;3

General Kaliero
No, I've not played any of the Survivor games, but at least I'm keeping an open mind. Did you play Survivor with a light gun, as it was intended? I think not, unless you imported the Japanese version. In fact, have you played more than one?

Did you know that the Survivor series received increasingly better reviews with each installment? How about the fact that RE4 has more in common with Dead Aim than it does with the main series?

Other than the over-the-shoulder viewpoint and the ability to control your movement, RE4 has a much more arcade feel to it than the previous games in the main series. Far more enemies, especially at once, more precise aim than simply "point at zombie: head/chest/on floor" No true exploration, have you noticed? You're carefully funneled through scripted events, kind of like, oh I dunno, an arcade game? Take away movement control, and RE4 would be essentially a Survivor installment.

From the Umbrella Chronicles gameplay clips I've seen, that's what I'm expecting the game to be like: RE4 on rails. I don't arbitrarily hate on rails play, in fact I've enjoyed other on rails games like Star Fox 64 and Killer7. I already know that the Wii can be excellent with FPS gameplay. The game is based on events throughout the main series, and theoretically later parts detailing the fall of Umbrella. I fully expect UC to be an entertaining action game with a Resident Evil feel, purely based on the facts I know.

JToTheP
Dead Aim still received various 6 out of 7's. I'd of rather of spent $20 on that, than $40. I own Dead Aim, and Survivor 1. RE4 wasn't on rails though, you had full freedom of Leon's surroundings, even with the behind-the-view camera. I'm not fond of having no control of where my character is going, I think it's unnecessary and stupid, especially for a series like RE. How can you define it as SURVIVAL HORROR? If the only control you have over the character, is the cross hairs, and the clip in the gun?

Killer 7 still gave you back and forth movement, you could return to the beginning of the level if you chose, so it wasn't COMPLETELY out of your hands.

As far as Star Fox 64 goes, I've only played that, and the SNES one. The SNES confused the hell out of me, most likely because I was 8, and was better off with Donkey Kong, Zelda, Metroid, and Mario games. I never played Star Fox on the DS, and from what I hear since the Stylus is the primary control combined with the d-pad, that doesn't seem very comfortable to me.

I just don't see any arcade shooter worth over $20, because they all reflect the same game play style, and are very short. Now if out of some sudden chance UC contains long levels, if the Typewriter saving isn't there, Capcom is setting up the, NEW.PLAYERS. for disaster. Since after all this is what it's for, yes? The NEW PLAYERS, when Resident Evil 4 brought LOTS of NEW players, AND old back into the series.

I'm not trying to cause anarchy over this, but I think Capcom is butchering the series. I mean, by using the formula that has been sub-par for years, and arcade games being how they are, it's just setting up the downfall of the series. You can do as you choose because you don't loath on-rail shooters, but don't be surprised if it contains the same ideas as other on-rail shooters.

Lana
Um, just to point out - a game being "on rails" means that the plot is completely scripted out and you have to go from point A to point B to point C to get further in the game. It doesn't necessarily mean that you have no control at all over what you're doing.

It's a term that refers to plot, not gameplay, and every game that exists with a specific story is on rails to an extent, some more than others. It's also why generally the only real roleplaying element RPG video games have is the ability to level up your characters and such.

§P0oONY
I love Star Fox 64 (Lylat Wars)... I finally got all the medals and unlocked expert mode... After 10 years....

(I know that this little comment is totally off topic.)

JToTheP
Originally posted by Lana
Um, just to point out - a game being "on rails" means that the plot is completely scripted out and you have to go from point A to point B to point C to get further in the game. It doesn't necessarily mean that you have no control at all over what you're doing.

It's a term that refers to plot, not gameplay, and every game that exists with a specific story is on rails to an extent, some more than others. It's also why generally the only real roleplaying element RPG video games have is the ability to level up your characters and such.

If that is true about being on rails though, that just technically means events are 'triggered' and I never ever heard the term on rails used for RPG games, considering most are non-linear to an extent. These days companies strive on filling the game discs with side quests along the side of 'triggering' each cut-scene.

That also brings up sequence breaking for linear games, Metroid Prime, Fusion, and Prime 2 are recent examples of the past few years. People spent years on those games, and gamefaqs had STICKIES regarding every possible, and impossible sequence break. I do know after seeing videos as well they managed to bypass cut-scenes as a result. It wouldn't surprise me if linear RPGs were broken as well.

So really if you can avoid a cut-scene, location you must go to, in some shape or form, whether it be a glitch, or whatever it is, I don't see how that can be considered on rails. And if on rails is from going from point A to B to C, why would an open-ended game where you can delay advancing the story be directly considered on rails? It's just me, but that's why I only define arcade first person shooters as on rails.

General Kaliero
On rails is very much an RPG quality. You may be able to roam all over a continent, but you don't progress in the game itself unless you go to that one town and talk to that one old man.

I honestly don't mind you disliking the gameplay style. What I dislike is you insisting that your opinion that it is bad is a fact. There's a difference.

Lana
If that is true about being on rails though, that just technically means events are 'triggered' and I never ever heard the term on rails used for RPG games, considering most are non-linear to an extent. These days companies strive on filling the game discs with side quests along the side of 'triggering' each cut-scene.

That also brings up sequence breaking for linear games, Metroid Prime, Fusion, and Prime 2 are recent examples of the past few years. People spent years on those games, and gamefaqs had STICKIES regarding every possible, and impossible sequence break. I do know after seeing videos as well they managed to bypass cut-scenes as a result. It wouldn't surprise me if linear RPGs were broken as well.

So really if you can avoid a cut-scene, location you must go to, in some shape or form, whether it be a glitch, or whatever it is, I don't see how that can be considered on rails. And if on rails is from going from point A to B to C, why would an open-ended game where you can delay advancing the story be directly considered on rails? It's just me, but that's why I only define arcade first person shooters as on rails.

See, the term on rails is more a roleplaying one that refers to a game where the plot will push you in a certain direction, and you can't really go any further in the plot until you go along with it. You can screw around with side stuff all you want, but eventually you'll have to do certain stuff or go a certain way in order to really move on.

So that's precisely correct - events are triggered. In a lot of games, events won't occur unless you do something in particular to trigger it. And if you HAVE to go through that event in order to further the plot and move on in the game, then you can't get anywhere without triggering that event.

Thus, sidequests don't really count as they don't generally actually add anything or are essential to the main plot. Neither does breaking sequences because eventually you're going to need to do something to get back to the main plot in order to really do anything.

And RP video games are for the most part the most on rails video games that exist. In a Final Fantasy game, if you don't go from this place to the next, or interact with a certain character, you can't further the plot and thus get on with the game. In Zelda, yeah, sure, there's TONS of side quests you can do without actually going through a single temple...but then you're not actually doing anything in the game, because the plot pushes you to go through these temples. And so on.

Every single game that has some sort of story and at some point requires you to do something in order to continue on with the story can be considered on rails. It's just that not every game is to the same extent.

Victor Von Doom
I've only ever heard 'on rails' used to describe games where your path is literally preset, IE you can't alter it.

Like the Men in Black ride at MGM.

Quite literally 'on rails'.

BackFire
Yeah.

On rails in gaming doesn't just mean that there's triggered events or whatever, if that's the case then every single game ever made is "On rails". It means you literally have no choice in how you progress, very very few games are on rails these days. Zelda and FF certainly aren't, because there is much choice involved, especially after a certain point.

Alpha Centauri
Where did the idea come from that all games are on rails? That's just stupid. On rails is just when you stand there shooting and everything else is done for you. Linear doesn't mean on rails, it means linear.

I fail to see how Capcom are butchering the series just because they're releasing a game that some people might not like. It might not even have anything to do with the story, like the other ones didn't.

Chill out, it's not even out yet.

-AC

SaTsuJiN
ugh... I guess Left 4 Dead will have to be my resident evil type multi-player fix >_<!

http://www.left4dead411.com/left-4-dead-information.php

Smasandian
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Where did the idea come from that all games are on rails? That's just stupid. On rails is just when you stand there shooting and everything else is done for you. Linear doesn't mean on rails, it means linear.

I fail to see how Capcom are butchering the series just because they're releasing a game that some people might not like. It might not even have anything to do with the story, like the other ones didn't.

Chill out, it's not even out yet.

-AC

Yeah, its not like Capcom isnt a big company and making more than one Resident Evil game.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to UC because well, I really like on rails shooters. Not going to spend the money on it, but I would definitly rent it. It looks fun.

Inner, I would get the RE4 Wii version because the 1up show said that the Wii controls actually add to the gameplay. I'm picking it up when it comes out because I just love the original. It's that good of a game and if its cheaper than regular price, its such a pick up.

Kero_Co
Umbrella Chronicles feels like a game that will attract casual gamers to the wii. I can see spectators wanting to give it a try, especially if it has two-player co-op ,because who doesn't love zombies? I probably pick this one up, but not immediately.

G U I T A R
Pretty broken door...

Hell yeah!

InnerRise
http://stage6.divx.com/Game-Comparisons/video/1172292/Resident-Evil-4---PS2-Vs--Gamecube Originally posted by Smasandian
Inner, I would get the RE4 Wii version because the 1up show said that the Wii controls actually add to the gameplay. I'm picking it up when it comes out because I just love the original. It's that good of a game and if its cheaper than regular price, its such a pick up. Good to know people. Thanks. wink

JToTheP
I'm sure they will do another comparison when the Wii version of 4 comes out as well. I may pick it up again, just for the different control scheme, and because my Wii library is very tiny right now.

General Kaliero
Same as JToTheP, for the same reasons. And also because I'd like to have the extras that were in the PS2 version.

JToTheP
Well, I own both, I just want to see the Wii controls on a successful game that Nintendo themselves didn't develop for a change.

JToTheP
Double post.

I saw a gameplay video last night on youtube, and the fast hectic pace made it seem actually decent. It looked EASY AS HELL, but they shot the hell out of everything in the enviroment including the zombies, it might actually be worthwhile if the entire game is like that. Plus Jill will get two guns <3, instant win for me.

Plus Rebecca had that stupid look again. XD

General Kaliero
I heard tell that though the first area is the Mansion and you play as the heroes, the following levels tell the series' story from Umbrella's side of things and that Wesker will be a prominent character.

Not sure how old that rumor is, though.

But apart from hearsay, I do want to note that the mansion looks VERY good. The zombies are still merely okay at this stage, but I do like that they are varied and not just one model for all of them.

JToTheP
It's the same model as REmake, same with the detail of the zombies, so no surprise there. I can't wait to kick Nemesis' ass with 2 handguns as Jill, and let Claire and Chris both die in CVX. XD big grin

Sweet Escape
Yeah, I saw the gameplay video too, it looks pretty sick.

Morridini
So would this game be a good way to summarise the previous games for someone who haven't played any of the Zombie Resident Evil games (only played RE4)?

Alpha Centauri
Plus Jill will get two guns <3, instant win for me.

I hear you get her with a new hat too! Wouldn't that just make the gameplay and story better?!

If story and importance isn't your concern, fine, but at least stop dissing the main characters just because you're a fan of a sprite and frivolous additions and bonuses.

-AC

InnerRise
I just finally read up some information on this game and saw a video of it being played and I must say before today I had no idea what this game was, how it looked, nor what it was all about.

After seeing it, I must say it's more than what I thought it would be. From the way you guys were comparing it with zombie games from the old days, I was picturing paper cardboard zombies popping up on the screen and you just shooting, but it's really more than that. (In a sense anyway...a little bit more)

I'm actually considering buying it. This may be a Resident Evil Game that I may just be able to play/get through being that it's more the way that it is than previous ones.

I like that the characters talk as well and are involved and not just you aiming and shooting in silence, although from what I know, Jill doesn't really help with the fights.

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

JToTheP
That was a demo Innerrise, and what we were anticipating is the same standards from the Survivor side-series, and arcade shooters. House Of The Dead, Time Crisis, Area 51. All the same type of game, slow-paced shooting and moving, that's it. So, that is why many of us didn't think it would be worth it.

Hopefully in the final retail version you can choose who you play as, and is the AI in each chapter, because I'm sure the AI will help out in the final version.

JToTheP
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
I hear you get her with a new hat too! Wouldn't that just make the gameplay and story better?!

If story and importance isn't your concern, fine, but at least stop dissing the main characters just because you're a fan of a sprite and frivolous additions and bonuses.

-AC

Funny how, I said nothing to you, yet you keep quoting my posts? Now who's trying to troll who exactly?

General Kaliero
That was a demo Innerrise, and what we were anticipating is the same standards from the Survivor side-series, and arcade shooters. House Of The Dead, Time Crisis, Area 51. All the same type of game, slow-paced shooting and moving, that's it. So, that is why many of us didn't think it would be worth it.

Hopefully in the final retail version you can choose who you play as, and is the AI in each chapter, because I'm sure the AI will help out in the final version.

While helpful AI would be nice... perhaps some 2-player co-op is in order?

And indeed, the main problem that would cause UC to fail would be slow-paced shooting. However, from what we've seen the action seems fairly non-stop, so there is hope for it.

Alpha Centauri
Funny how, I said nothing to you, yet you keep quoting my posts? Now who's trying to troll who exactly?

I make on topic replies to your posts because on occasion you have things I wish to reply to, don't flatter yourself.

If you could control your rage and hatred long enough to reply to my posts without being abusive and childish, maybe you wouldn't have such a problem with me replying to you. There's no reason to not reply to me, I'm not sitting here insulting you, I'm making on topic posts.

-AC

InnerRise
Being that there are sequences in the game where you have to press the "A" button quickly to dodge certain things where the camera zooms out and you see the single character in front, I don't see how 2 players would work with how they're presenting the game. Plus you frequently hear the character talking, so it's one person, therefore you assume the role of that one person so having two people play when there's only 1 person doing the shooting in the game would be quite off.

General Kaliero
In the Mansion scenario, both Chris and Jill can be heard clearly, InnerRise. If AI can be there to assist you, so can another player.

The button-press cutscenes could alternate which player has to do it, by alternating which character is in danger.

I'm not saying I think this is definitely what they're gonna do, I'm saying it's a possibility. Especially given how party-oriented the Wii is being perceived as.

InnerRise
Yes, this is true, but it's fact that Jill actually does no shooting, at least for the parts that have been shown she doesn't assist at all.

I guess they could change that but how close to release are they. I think that'd be too much. And I'm sure they wanted the player to do all the shooting themselves so that's why they don't have some AI Character shooting all of the zombies for you.

General Kaliero
Well, the thing is, I doubt Capcom would have both characters together unless the second one was there for a reason. Partly because that's more time, money, and effort to code, which would all be unnecessary. Partly because having the two together really messes up the original timeline (the handgun Chris wields in RE is Jill's, for instance). Why put the other character there unless you have a reason for it.

In RE, depending on your character Barry or Wesker help the player fight in some scenarios.

It's possible that both characters are there so the story can switch you between the two, but what's the point?

It was reported that they are currently only about 25% finished with the game. Release is late fall at the earliest, so there's plenty of time to change things.

Smasandian
It would be a crime to not have co-op. It's soo easy to implement.

Consider every light gun game has had two people, I cannot see this game being strictly singleplayer.

JToTheP
May be old, but more playable characters confirmed, so we're clearly gonna be playing Zero, 1,2, and 3 at least:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=163481

grey fox
..and Usage of wesker.

This will be awesome !

General Lenko
I want this game....

grey fox
Apparently there is a new original chapter featuring Rebecka Chambers and Richard Aiken.

AstroFan
This game actually looks pretty damn good, I was so pissed when it was announced. It does suck that there doesnt appear to be anything from RE2 though.

But you can play as Wesker, so Im happy. big grin

grey fox
This game actually looks pretty damn good, I was so pissed when it was announced. It does suck that there doesnt appear to be anything from RE2 though.

But you can play as Wesker, so Im happy. big grin

The Lack of Re2 is kind of annoying...though realistically it's probably because their focusing on the Umbrella corporation and RE2 had little to do with them professionally.

AstroFan
I guess you are right, but I just wanted to play as Leon some more. lol

grey fox
How does UC fit into the RE universe ? Is it a reboot, or (for all intents and purposes) we ignore it ? Although possibly allowing the side stories (and the fall of umbrella) to remain ?

@st
Its actually really faithful to the RE universe/story. If you are big RE fan, or an RE4 fan who doesnt know the story, you should really play this game. You will play through levels exactly like they were originally, I just completed the RE0 portion, and it really reminded me of that game since I was going into rooms just as they were in that game.

For diehards it does a great job of letting you replay the key events from the series minus RE2, CV, and RE4. And you get cool extras like seeing what Wesker was doing the whole time or how Ada escaped RE2 alive.

Morridini
Originally posted by @st
or an RE4 fan who doesnt know the story, you should really play this game.

That's me, been interested in this game, but a bit unsure about it, how are the controls?

grey fox
Originally posted by Morridini
That's me, been interested in this game, but a bit unsure about it, how are the controls?

Pretty damn good. I'm kinda iffy with it but then I have shaky hands so I have to concentrate to aim very well.

Ushgarak
Another possible reason for an RE2 lack is that if this game does well (and I understand it has) they'll want a sequel, and the cast from RE2 make a good hook to make the second game RE2/CV/RE4, as there is continuity there.

@st
Resident Evil: The Leon Chronicles(RE2 and RE4) stick out tongue

Originally posted by Morridini

Seems fine to me, its all about how good a shot you are, the sensitivity seems fine. Pretty much everything is done with the pointer and the A and B buttons.

Neo Darkhalen
RE has always had to many sequels.

@st
Oh god. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Resident Evil is pretty mild when it comes to sequels compared to a lot of franchises. If RE5 doesnt come till 2009 like its believed, that would be 4 years between true RE games, they arent exactly pumping them out.

General Kaliero
Indeed, the controls really couldn't be more intuitive, and trying to get all the bonuses will keep you playing for a while.

It does a decent job of linking the different games (and even different scenarios) together into a (mostly) coherent whole, and answers a few very good questions at the same time.

grey fox
Their is only two particular bad points that I can think of.

1. The Voice Acting , while pretty good , certain characters have been re-cast. Most notably Rebbecca. She went from sounding serious yet still feminine to some cutesy Sailor Moon rip-off.

2. Sexism - Hey I'm a guy and I understand the whole macho 'Save the female' schtick. I overlooked the Rebbecca/Billy thing because it does actually happen in game. But in 3 Jill was the main heroine and extremely capable, Carlos was the secondary chump. Yet in UC we have jill f*cking up and three seconds away from becoming zombie chow before 'big manly Carlos comes to save the day !!!'. It just Irked me is all.

Impediment
My only gripe about this game is with the Wii Zapper.

If you want to switch weapons, you have to hit the directional button at the top of the Wiimote, but it's very awkward since you have one hand on the nunchuck, and the other hand on the trigger handle. I've actually been playing it without the Zapper, and just with with bare Wiimoye and Nunchuck.

grey fox
Originally posted by Impediment

If you want to switch weapons, you have to hit the directional button at the top of the Wiimote, but it's very awkward since you have one hand on the nunchuck, and the other hand on the trigger handle. I've actually been playing it without the Zapper, and just with with bare Wiimoye and Nunchuck.

I didn't get the zapper, it's a waste of money.

@st
Me neither, it just didnt look comfortable, and looked less functional than the remote and nunchuck alone. Ive seen like a 3rd party shotgun and a pistol, I wonder if those are any better.

General Kaliero

And here I've been pressing... C, I think it was?

Impediment
And here I've been pressing... C, I think it was?

Really? That works? hmm

(That's the finger button on the Nunchuck, right? stick out tongue )

General Kaliero
Really? That works? hmm

(That's the finger button on the Nunchuck, right? stick out tongue )

Why yes, yes it does. And a hell of a lot more accessible than the D-Pad, in the heat of battle.

(And yeah, that would be it, little button above the Z trigger stick out tongue)

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>