Nanotechnology and Artifical Intelligence ?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

grey fox
Both things (while incredibly useful ) should be limited at best or destroyed at worse (In my own opinion of course).

The Nano tech because it could cause a 'grey blob' situation , wherein the only possible solution would be to manually cause a Electromagnetic Pulse to knock it out . Not taking into account the ungodly amount of damage it could cause .

The artificial intelligence for Terminator 2 stick out tongue

Any thoughts ?

PVS
i think artificial intelligence, assuming its actually achieved, would be the destruction of life as we know it

Bardock42
I like both....humans suck anyways, lets go for robots and very small robots instead.

grey fox
Originally posted by PVS
i think artificial intelligence, assuming its actually achieved, would be the destruction of life as we know it

It all matters if the AI gains sentience and then realises it's potential , if so then we humans have a serious problem. I doubt that we'll be dealing with 'Johnny Five' more like 'Johnny the lap-dog of the military in control of WMDs'

Bardock42
Originally posted by grey fox
It all matters if the AI gains sentience and then realises it's potential , if so then we humans have a serious problem. I doubt that we'll be dealing with 'Johnny Five' more like 'Johnny the lap-dog of the military in control of WMDs'

I think if that happens all humans should be sterilized and the problem's done with within 100 years.

PVS
its just that AI would operate on pure logic, right? and the logical conclusion, assuming it could procreate, would be that mankind is irrational illogical and thus a constant threat....not to mention having no purpose for being. but then again it may come to the conclusion that it also has no purpose for being and just switch off.

Bardock42
Originally posted by PVS
its just that AI would operate on pure logic, right? and the logical conclusion, assuming it could procreate, would be that mankind is irrational illogical and thus a constant threat....not to mention having no purpose for being. but then again it may come to the conclusion that it also has no purpose for being and just switch off.

Or, we could make it so that they adore us...cause...well..we build them, why not build that in?

PVS
Originally posted by Bardock42
Or, we could make it so that they adore us...cause...well..we build them, why not build that in?

people often wish they could erase their love in a doomed relationship. what of a being which had the ability to do that in under a nanosecond?

Bardock42
Originally posted by PVS
people often wish they could erase their love in a doomed relationship. what of a being which had the ability to do that in under a nanosecond?

What about a being that is absolutely unable to do so, cause we made it that way?

PVS
Originally posted by Bardock42
What about a being that is absolutely unable to do so, cause we made it that way?

i cant help but suspect that an AI would have the ability to modify its own programming to adapt, grow, and improve itself. or it wouldnt very much be intelligent, would it?

smoker4
I'm just glad my name isn't John Connor

grey fox
Originally posted by smoker4
I'm just glad my name isn't John Connor

Aren't we all...

Bardock42
Originally posted by PVS
i cant help but suspect that an AI would have the ability to modify its own programming to adapt, grow, and improve itself. or it wouldnt very much be intelligent, would it?

You could put in safety measures.

Mindship
One of many interesting sites on the possible future of artificial intelligence: www.singinst.org

That aside, one ought to keep the following in mind: intelligence is not the same as consciousness or motivation. While scifi has long loved to depict AI as eventually, logically and inevitably antihuman, this in actual fact remains to be seen. Personally, I don't necessarily buy that Hello-AI-Goodbye-Humanity schpiel.

redcaped
eek!

debbiejo
Ohh one of my all time favorites was AI...It made me cry, not that you all care. All the boy wanted was his mommy to love him.............weep............

If Nano tech were so intelligent, then they would learn and adapt to the point that humans would be considered inferior and useless.......I suppose they could be used in some instances, but I feel it is something NOT to fool around with....It could even start a "They are different then us", and conspiracies could come from it.......*Hmm watches too many Sci-Fi movies*

redcaped
great...great!

Imperial_Samura
Both things (while incredibly useful ) should be limited at best or destroyed at worse (In my own opinion of course).

The Nano tech because it could cause a 'grey blob' situation , wherein the only possible solution would be to manually cause a Electromagnetic Pulse to knock it out . Not taking into account the ungodly amount of damage it could cause .

The artificial intelligence for Terminator 2 stick out tongue

Any thoughts ?

I am 100% for both. The potential is certainly there, where as it is only a lot of dubious scare mongering "ifs" that suggest it should be limited or that it is a threat to life as we know it.

It just is very unlikely to work the way it does in sci-fi. And even if it did - if it was sentient it deserves to be mankind's equal. The idea that machines are inherently destined to hate us... just no.

redcaped
Machines are nothing but our work...they kill you if you make a mistake, just like getting fired.

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by redcaped
Machines are nothing but our work...they kill you if you make a mistake, just like getting fired.

Well strangely enough I can't remember the last time my coffee maker or computer killed me because I spelt a word wrong or added to many beans.

And of course the most illogical thing about that statement is... there is no proof of such. A man gets killed because he sticks his arms in a wheat thresher - human stupidity, not machine malice.

leonidas
both are so far away from being abused in the manner your speaking that it's hard to rationally comment on your concerns, gf. AI in particular. nanotech is a truly awesome technology that already HAS many very productive uses. but if you're talking about self-reproducing, semi-intelligent robots . . . not much of a concern. it has loads of potential in the medicinal sciences.

like ANY technology, either could potentially be used for ill OR good. but that's been the case ever since man first invented a sharpened stone to cut with . . .

Alfheim

If computers gain sentience there will be good machines and bad machines. Any intelligent scientist will ge looking for a way to combine machines with humans. For example in Germany they have found a way of using your thoughts to control a machine (on a very low level), and you probably know about the bionic woman. I think human beings will evolve into machines before it becomes a problem.

Council#13
Artificial Intelligence is just freaky shock

I mean, the lives that God planned for us would be gone. Seriously, I bet they'd soon be making these sex robots for people that run on semen erm

Madman_V3N0M
Well I don't think AI would think much like humans, Artificial Stupidity on the other hand...

Mr. Sandman
Originally posted by Council#13
Artificial Intelligence is just freaky shock

I mean, the lives that God planned for us would be gone. Seriously, I bet they'd soon be making these sex robots for people that run on semen erm

I hope so! eek!

cain marko
nano technology is inconceivable and i think that AI is too.

debbiejo
I want a really good definition of what this is........

Atlantis001
Nanotechnology is very useful today allowing many possibilities and is still evolving.

We already have scientific theories that attemps to give an explanation of how consciousness work based on physics. But the theory is still in its infancy. If the theory is right then it can give a way to create consciousness.

So we are not so far away from AI.

I think sentient machines will be just one more form of life... not that machines dominating the world thing.

debbiejo
NO AI'S

Madman_V3N0M
Haven't you guys heard of C.O.G. or Kismet or the such?

Alfheim
Originally posted by Atlantis001
Nanotechnology is very useful today allowing many possibilities and is still evolving.

We already have scientific theories that attemps to give an explanation of how consciousness work based on physics. But the theory is still in its infancy. If the theory is right then it can give a way to create consciousness.

So we are not so far away from AI.

I think sentient machines will be just one more form of life... not that machines dominating the world thing.

Bare in mind there is a saying;.."If thats what were selling imagine what weve got".

There will always be some technology which is more advanced than anything else and they are not telling you about it....yet.

Mindship
Originally posted by debbiejo
NO AI'S

Then how about EIs? Y'know, as in EI, EI, Oh...

debbiejo
OK..........as long as they aren't cute......

Darth Kreiger
Nanotech = good
AI = VERY VERY VERY Bad

Even with the 3 Rules in place, it is dangerous look at I-Robot

Madman_V3N0M
The 3 rules don't aply in real life. And if they did, it wouldn't be AI. Anyway, I think that before the time humans will hava an AI smart and strong enough to be a threat we will have already evolved into an interconected network and have a collective conciousness where individualism ceases to exist.

debbiejo
Just don't make it human like......OK???..........cause I will treat it as such.

Madman_V3N0M
You don't treat Bardock to human like... *looks at Bardock* Forget what I said.

debbiejo
*looks at Bardock too*......... eek!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.