Christian Mythology

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lord Urizen
I find a lot of funny coincidences between Christianity and other Faiths that exist....let me shed light on this, and tell me what you guys think:

1) Zeus VS Jehovah (Yahweh).....they both live "on high"...one lives in Heaven, one lives in Mount Olympus, they are both "Gods of the Sky" They both discriminate and favor one over the other, they are both selective, they both punish, yet they both also love.....

2)Eve vs Pandora- They both were the "first" created woman of thier mythologies, and they both introduced evil into mankind...

Eve ate and apple which God told her not to eat from the Tree, he told her to stay away from the Tree of Knowledge in the Garden of Eden...

Pandora opened the Chest which Zeus told her not to do....she opened the chest which released all the evils of man kind, disease, suffering, etc...

3)Elysian Fields VS Heaven- a realm where those favored by thier Gods will go....

In Christianity, only the "righteous" and those who follow "the right religion" and live by God's confusing words, will enter.

In Greek Mythos, only the brave and loyal will enter this paradise...to live immortal and dwell in all the pleasures that Zeus has reserved for them...

4)Angra Mainu Vs Lucifer- they are both devils, the embodyments of evil, and in opposition to thier "Gods"...they are both rulers of "Hell"

Lucifer is God's enemy....his rival....his goal is to corrupt and destroy the relationship between God and man

Angra Mainu is Ahura Mazda's enemy.....his rival....his goal is to corrupt and destroy the relationship between Ahura Mazda and Man

They both are rules of torment realms....both consist of fire and suffering....hmm....

5)Jesus Christ vs SAOSHYANT- both are saviors of mankind, both shall arrive during Armaggedon (end of the world) to save the good, and leave behing the evil to suffer thier fates.....

They are both the "light" in the darkness, they are both the prime "servants of God"

6)Virgin Mary Vs Isis-both are "Virgin Mothers".....both are the "queens" of Heaven....while Mary gave birth to Jesus Christ, Isis gave birth to Horus, and both were born without sexual conception.... eek! They both inherit a thrown in thier respective Heavens.....

7)Hell vs Hades- This is the most hilarious coincidense, not only because they are the SAME exact CONCEPT, but because the Bible itself steals Hades and uses it to portray Hell:

Reve 20:13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead which were in them; and they were judged, every one according to their deeds.
14 And death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire.

Reve 1:18 and the living One; and I was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of death and of Hades.
Reve 6:8 And I looked, and behold, an ashen horse; and he who sat on it had the name Death; and Hades was following with him. And authority was given to them over a fourth of the earth, to kill with sword and with famine and with pestilence and by the wild beasts of the earth.

The Bible can't even be original enough not to blatantly borrow another mythological realm ? Or is the Bible truly a copycat documentation of other religions ?

Guys...come on...coincidense...or no ?

Shakyamunison
This is not surprising. Christianity was made up here on Earth. The creators used other, and older religions to form the Christian mythology.

Robtard
All religions where made up here on earth...

There was a 'History Channel' show that traced the roots of Judaism, Christianity and Islam back to ancient Egyptian mythology. Really interesting stuff if anyone is interested in that sort of material.

Storm
I believe that, in religion altogether, a couple of elements are derived, or borrowed in some fashion from other religions.

Alliance
But that doesn't explain the origin of the concept in general.

Storm

Alliance
Originally posted by Alliance
But that doesn't explain the origin of the concept (i.e. how religion first and independantly originated) in general.

JesusIsAlive

Alliance
But that doesn't explain the origin of the concept (i.e. how religion first and independantly originated) in general.

RocasAtoll
Originally posted by JesusIsAlive
You are absolutely right. Religions are human creations. But the reality of God as revealed in the Bible is not a human creation. The Bible is truly given by inspiration of God. No other revelatory work can truly affirm this.

So Christianity can't be called a religion by your definition of the Bible?

lord xyz
Originally posted by Lord Urizen
I find a lot of funny coincidences between Christianity and other Faiths that exist....let me shed light on this, and tell me what you guys think:

1) Zeus VS Jehovah (Yahweh).....they both live "on high"...one lives in Heaven, one lives in Mount Olympus, they are both "Gods of the Sky" They both discriminate and favor one over the other, they are both selective, they both punish, yet they both also love.....

2)Eve vs Pandora- They both were the "first" created woman of thier mythologies, and they both introduced evil into mankind...

Eve ate and apple which God told her not to eat from the Tree, he told her to stay away from the Tree of Knowledge in the Garden of Eden...

Pandora opened the Chest which Zeus told her not to do....she opened the chest which released all the evils of man kind, disease, suffering, etc...

3)Elysian Fields VS Heaven- a realm where those favored by thier Gods will go....

In Christianity, only the "righteous" and those who follow "the right religion" and live by God's confusing words, will enter.

In Greek Mythos, only the brave and loyal will enter this paradise...to live immortal and dwell in all the pleasures that Zeus has reserved for them...

4)Angra Mainu Vs Lucifer- they are both devils, the embodyments of evil, and in opposition to thier "Gods"...they are both rulers of "Hell"

Lucifer is God's enemy....his rival....his goal is to corrupt and destroy the relationship between God and man

Angra Mainu is Ahura Mazda's enemy.....his rival....his goal is to corrupt and destroy the relationship between Ahura Mazda and Man

They both are rules of torment realms....both consist of fire and suffering....hmm....

5)Jesus Christ vs SAOSHYANT- both are saviors of mankind, both shall arrive during Armaggedon (end of the world) to save the good, and leave behing the evil to suffer thier fates.....

They are both the "light" in the darkness, they are both the prime "servants of God"

6)Virgin Mary Vs Isis-both are "Virgin Mothers".....both are the "queens" of Heaven....while Mary gave birth to Jesus Christ, Isis gave birth to Horus, and both were born without sexual conception.... eek! They both inherit a thrown in thier respective Heavens.....

7)Hell vs Hades- This is the most hilarious coincidense, not only because they are the SAME exact CONCEPT, but because the Bible itself steals Hades and uses it to portray Hell:

Reve 20:13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead which were in them; and they were judged, every one according to their deeds.
14 And death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire.

Reve 1:18 and the living One; and I was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of death and of Hades.
Reve 6:8 And I looked, and behold, an ashen horse; and he who sat on it had the name Death; and Hades was following with him. And authority was given to them over a fourth of the earth, to kill with sword and with famine and with pestilence and by the wild beasts of the earth.

The Bible can't even be original enough not to blatantly borrow another mythological realm ? Or is the Bible truly a copycat documentation of other religions ?

Guys...come on...coincidense...or no ? I bet there will be one who says the myths are similar because the events happened 6,000 years ago and the stories have been changed or something.

JesusIsAlive
Originally posted by RocasAtoll
So Christianity can't be called a religion by your definition of the Bible?

Look sweet pickles alumni (I am just funnin') you seem to have a knack for putting words in my mouth. I am certain that Christianity can be called anything. It is classifed by society as a religion. But as a supreme semanticist (some call me "the hair splitter"wink I personally do not refer to Christianity as a religion. My definition of religion is that of a system of man-made beliefs with a pseudo-spiritual aspect to it. Some of which attempts to reach or contact God through human effort or good morals. There is nothing man-made about God or the Bible. In fact, God and the Bible transcend human religion, pawtna.

Robtard
Look sweet pickles alumni (I am just funnin') you seem to have a knack for putting words in my mouth. I am certain that Christianity can be called anything. It is classifed by society as a religion. But as a supreme semanticist (some call me "the hair splitter"wink I personally do not refer to Christianity as a religion. My definition of religion is that of a system of man-made beliefs with a pseudo-spiritual aspect to it. Some of which attempts to reach or contact God through human effort or good morals. There is nothing man-made about God or the Bible. In fact, God and the Bible transcend human religion, pawtna.

So God made the Bible? God wrote down the words? I know you can claim that God used holy fire to etch down the Ten Commandments onto stone on Mt. Sinai, but the New Testament was written 400 some odd years after Jesus died, did God write the New Testament I should say?

RocasAtoll

Okay.

JesusIsAlive
Originally posted by Robtard
So God made the Bible? God wrote down the words? I know you can claim that God used holy fire to etch down the Ten Commandments onto stone on Mt. Sinai, but the New Testament was written 400 some odd years after Jesus died, did God write the New Testament I should say?

Robtard, now I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that you are either blind, slow, or that you were head of your class at Sweet Pickles Elementary School. You said the same ignorant statement in another thread about the New Testament being written 400 years after Jesus died. I immediately set the record straight in the post, entitled, "Scientific Facts in the Bible," page 3. Here is a copy of what you and I said:

The Old Testament never names Jesus by name, it only speaks of a Messiah, so in reality, how hard would it be for a man any man to just say "Hey, it's me, I'm the Messiah." The New Testament says that Jesus will return right? How hard would it be for youself or anyone else to claim to be Jesus come back? Also, the New Testament was written close to 400 years after Jesus died, so anything written about Jesus is not first hand or eyewitness experience; how hard would it be to embellish a story, especially a 400 year old story? I.E., Jesus poured a cup of wine gets turned into Jesus turned water to wine 400 years later.

Where...in the world...did you get your information from? There isn't one Book in the New Testament that was written 400 years after Jesus died. The Book of Revelation was written as early as 81-96 A.D.. The Book of Thessalonians was written in A.D. 51. The Lord Jesus did tell His disciples,

John 14:26
But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.

The Holy Spirit breathed His Word into/through the various writers, and brought back to their remembrance the details of Jesus' ministry. There was no embellishment because God gave the inspiration for what was written.

Ronny

Guys...come on...coincidense...or no ? Very true and very impressing that you did the research to look this all up, but its a well known fact Christianity is biting off history books.

But that doesn't explain the origin of the concept in general.

The Bible isnt the word of "God" its the word of man. Religion is made up by frightened human beings afraid of death. Religion only started because one man took the time to look around him and ask "Why?" erm

JesusIsAlive

Robtard

Robtard, now I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that you are either blind, slow, or that you were head of your class at Sweet Pickles Elementary School. You said the same ignorant statement in another thread about the New Testament being written 400 years after Jesus died. I immediately set the record straight in the post, entitled, "Scientific Facts in the Bible," page 3. Here is a copy of what you and I said:

Where...in the world...did you get your information from? There isn't one Book in the New Testament that was written 400 years after Jesus died. The Book of Revelation was written as early as 81-96 A.D.. The Book of Thessalonians was written in A.D. 51. The Lord Jesus did tell His disciples,

I hope you realize that over using a joke, no matter how funny it was originally is boring... I get it, I got it the first time, you think I am retarded and ride the short bus. Yay!

It get if from books, newspapers, magazines, the internet, television and people. Where do you get your information from? I have read sources that state that parts of the New Testament were written 400+ years A.D., if you say that is more on the lines of 90 years or so, sure, I'll bite.That is still sufficient time for spoken knowledge to be distorted before it was actually written down. Even then, consider the rewriting and rewriting for 1,900+ years. HUGE margin for error.

Also, what do you think of Urizens original post? Weird that some similarities between pagan religions and Old/New Testament? Since many of these pagan religions outdate the Torah and the Bible no?

Shakyamunison

JesusIsAlive
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
"I will not write what comes to mind when I read your ignorant posts."

Now, do you think that is a good way for me to communicate with you? I'm trying to show you were you go wrong. It is one thing to disagree, but it is wrong to insult someone for no reason.

I did not insult Ronny I said that the post was ignorant. Shak you are dumb, that is an insult. But I don't mean that Shak.

Shakyamunison
I did not insult Ronny I said that the post was ignorant. Shak you are dumb, that is an insult. But I don't mean that Shak.

Then, you should be more careful. You can catch more flies with honey then vinegar.

JesusIsAlive
I hope you realize that over using a joke, no matter how funny it was originally is boring... I get it, I got it the first time, you think I am retarded and ride the short bus. Yay!

It get if from books, newspapers, magazines, the internet, television and people. Where do you get your information from? I have read sources that state that parts of the New Testament were written 400+ years A.D., if you say that is more on the lines of 90 years or so, sure, I'll bite.That is still sufficient time for spoken knowledge to be distorted before it was actually written down. Even then, consider the rewriting and rewriting for 1,900+ years. HUGE margin for error.

Also, what do you think of Urizens original post? Weird that some similarities between pagan religions and Old/New Testament? Since many of these pagan religions outdate the Torah and the Bible no?

If you are going to cite something that I say then try not to omit essential info. Robbie. Here is what you left out:

But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.

The Holy Spirit breathed His Word into/through the various writers, and brought back to their remembrance the details of Jesus' ministry. There was no embellishment because God gave the inspiration for what was written.

The Bible is not the number one all time best seller for nothing. It is the Word of the living God. Name a number one best selling author, or better yet, name a million, but God has them all beat. The Qu'ran can't say that nor the Book of Mormon nor any other "religious (i.e., man-made) work."

Shakyamunison
If you are going to cite something that I say then try not to omit essential info. Robbie. Here is what you left out:

The Bible is not the number one all time best seller for nothing. It is the Word of the living God. Name a number one best selling author, or better yet, name a million, but God has them all beat. The Qu'ran can't say that nor the Book of Mormon nor any other "religious (i.e., man-made) work."

So god is great because he has a best selling book? What does that make Stephen King? laughing

JesusIsAlive
So god is great because he has a best selling book? What does that make Stephen King? laughing Sweet pickles alumni? No, not you Shak, not you, say it ain't sooooooooo! (claps sides of face with both hands and says, "nooooooooo!) You are putting words in my mouth Shak just like your boy Rocastoll. I didn't conclude that God was anything. I simply stated that the Bible is the ALL TIME NUMBER ONE BEST SELLER. Was that too plain for you pal or should I make that more complex and abstruse? It seems that when I make things plain as your reflection in the mirror, some of you miss it. But when I talk up here you guys get it. Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Shakyamunison
Sweet pickles alumni? No, not you Shak, not you, say it ain't sooooooooo! (claps sides of face with both hands and says, "nooooooooo!) You are putting words in my mouth Shak just like your boy Rocastoll. I didn't conclude that God was anything. I simply stated that the Bible is the ALL TIME NUMBER ONE BEST SELLER. Was that too plain for you pal or should I make that more complex and abstruse? It seems that when I make things plain as your reflection in the mirror, some of you miss it. But when I talk up here you guys get it. Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Do you know what a joke is? No.

fini
no

Alliance
JIA is clearly a delusional 13 year old female who apparently got menopause about 40 years early.

RocasAtoll
Sweet pickles alumni? No, not you Shak, not you, say it ain't sooooooooo! (claps sides of face with both hands and says, "nooooooooo!) You are putting words in my mouth Shak just like your boy Rocastoll. I didn't conclude that God was anything. I simply stated that the Bible is the ALL TIME NUMBER ONE BEST SELLER. Was that too plain for you pal or should I make that more complex and abstruse? It seems that when I make things plain as your reflection in the mirror, some of you miss it. But when I talk up here you guys get it. Shouldn't it be the other way around?

If paraphrasing your posts is putting words in your mouth, I'm guily and should be tortured for an enternity.

And never forget to capitalize the "A" in my name please.

Alliance
Yes. If you use your brain...JIA gets mad.

JesusIsAlive
Do you know what a joke is? No.

Yes and I also know what you are (just kidding, put down your box cutter). Shak we go back and forth but it is cool on my side. What about you, getting offended?

RocasAtoll
Thanks for the damnation. Jerk.

evilmonkey

JesusIsAlive
Originally posted by RocasAtoll
If paraphrasing your posts is putting words in your mouth, I'm guily and should be tortured for an enternity.

And never forget to capitalize the "A" in my name please.

Roc-A-stoll, better?

Alliance
Yes and I also know what you are (just kidding, put down your box cutter). Shak we go back and forth but it is cool on my side. What about you, getting offended?

See this amuses me...anyone else who goes "back and forth" with you, is just the antichirst.

Shakyamunison

I don't care what you call me, I can choose to ignore you. But when you try to hurt other people, I want to stop you. You are putting a bad name of Jesus.

Alliance
This is too weird.

JesusIsAlive
I don't care what you call me, I can choose to ignore you. But when you try to hurt other people, I want to stop you. You are putting a bad name of Jesus.

Stop (looks at you with a sideways glance) Shak, now you don't really mean that. You know pal you seem to give off the impession of mother hen: you know very nurturing and maternal-like. You consistently try to appear as someone who cares about folk but you must admit: you do regularly instigate communication between other forum posters. You seem to come off (to me) as a fomenter of strife or dissension. No? Don't agree with me. Nellinator posted something about you trying to push peoples' buttons. You don't recall that? I just don't buy your sincerity. I guess I am not gullible. Anyhoo.

Alliance
Thats not true at all. No one else here thinks that. Nellinator was imo an idiot.

fini
ohhh So thats what you are up to Shaky? Here to push buttons eh?

Shakyamunison
Stop (looks at you with a sideways glance) Shak, now you don't really mean that. You know pal you seem to give off the impession of mother hen: you know very nurturing and maternal-like. You consistently try to appear as someone who cares about folk but you must admit: you do regularly instigate communication between other forum posters. You seem to come off (to me) as a fomenter of strife or dissension. No? Don't agree with me. Nellinator posted something about you trying to push peoples's buttons. You don't recall that? I just don't buy your sincerity. I guess I am not gullible. Anyhoo.

I talked to Nellinator many times and I generally like him. He pointed out that I trap people, and I agreed. He also said I was very nice in how I trapped people. He called me passive aggressive, but he does not understand me, nor do you.

Alliance
Shakya pushes all my buttons the right way... lookaround

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by fini
ohhh So thats what you are up to Shaky? Here to push buttons eh?

I push yours all the time, baby. wink

laughing

JesusIsAlive
I talked to Nellinator many times and I generally like him. He pointed out that I trap people, and I agreed. He also said I was very nice in how I trapped people. He called me passive aggressive, but he does not understand me, nor do you.

Sure I do you are mother hen (laughs hysterically). Remember when I had you on ignore then I started speaking to you again? I do understand you.

Shakyamunison
Sure I do you are mother hen. Remember when I had you on ignore then I started speaking to you again? I do understand you.

Not really, you don't understand why I care about other people, even you.

JesusIsAlive
I push yours all the time, baby. wink

laughing

I'ma tell your wife.

Alliance
Not really, you don't understand why I care about other people, even you.

laughing I'm still working on that puzzle.

Shakyamunison
laughing I'm still working on that puzzle.

I'll give you a hint, Nam Myoho Renge Kyo.

fini
oooooooooooo

u dont push my buttons hunny, sorry to tell you that, lol
anyway, U'll still get the link to my wedding video next year, lol.

Robtard

Jessie, I ommitted the Bible scripture to save space, your post tend to get exceedenly long when you go on a holy copy and pasteing spree, but if it bothers you, I will include it in the future.

If "best selling" is proof for you that the God of the Bible exist and it is God's written word, then I ask, what is Mao Tse-Tung? His book 'Quotations From Chairman Mao Tse-Tung' is second only to the Bible, does that make him a Demi-God? Sorry, but that was a shit poor example of trying to peddle your religious views.

JesusIsAlive
Jessie, I ommitted the Bible scripture to save space, your post tend to get exceedenly long when you go on a holy copy and pasteing spree, but if it bothers you, I will include it in the future.

If "best selling" is proof for you that the God of the Bible exist and it is God's written word, then I ask, what is Mao Tse-Tung? His book 'Quotations From Chairman Mao Tse-Tung' is second only to the Bible, does that make him a Demi-God? Sorry, but that was a shit poor example of trying to peddle your religious views.

It isn't proof it is just a colorful, interesting, incidental.

DigiMark007
Not a bad thread Lord Urizen.

You're actually just touching the surface of the connections between the various myths and religions of the world. Jesus' entire story is simply an amalgamation of various myths that preceded Christianity. Often, like with the Egyptian god Horus, the translation of teachings and stories is nearly ver batim.

I made a similar thread a while back, but this frames it differently, so it's a nice touch.

And I don't use that information to try and destroy religions, or their teachings, but rather to try and help people see their religion in more of a metaphorical context (rather than strictly literal), so that it's easier to draw connections between various cultures and beliefs.

...which is quite a long way from some of the atrocities we see today because of fanatical, and often unreasonable, systems of belief that deny the validity of others.

RocasAtoll
Roc-A-stoll, better?

No, RocasAtoll. I'd rather not have you bastardizing my family's home island.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by fini
oooooooooooo

u dont push my buttons hunny, sorry to tell you that, lol
anyway, U'll still get the link to my wedding video next year, lol.

I didn't mean bad buttons, my friend. + I was just make light of the matter.

Are you getting married soon? Congratulations. Happy Dance

Lord Urizen
You are absolutely right. Religions are human creations. But the reality of God as revealed in the Bible is not a human creation. The Bible is truly given by inspiration of God. No other revelatory work can truly affirm this.

If this is true, then Why did God feel the need to copy the religions that already existed ?

Isn't it self-contradicting for God to despise and be jealous of our beleif in Pagan Gods, and then borrow thier ideas to promote himself ?

Again...further Hypocrisy !

Lord Urizen
I guess I am not gullible. Anyhoo.

Brother, you are the most gullible person on this forum ! Your obsessively blind faith in the Bible, and disregard of all other facts, makes you Mr. Gullible # 1 ~

Lord Urizen
Originally posted by DigiMark007
Not a bad thread Lord Urizen.

You're actually just touching the surface of the connections between the various myths and religions of the world. Jesus' entire story is simply an amalgamation of various myths that preceded Christianity. Often, like with the Egyptian god Horus, the translation of teachings and stories is nearly ver batim.

I made a similar thread a while back, but this frames it differently, so it's a nice touch.

And I don't use that information to try and destroy religions, or their teachings, but rather to try and help people see their religion in more of a metaphorical context (rather than strictly literal), so that it's easier to draw connections between various cultures and beliefs.

...which is quite a long way from some of the atrocities we see today because of fanatical, and often unreasonable, systems of belief that deny the validity of others.

Thanks Bro ! big grin

Lord Urizen
It isn't proof it is just a colorful, interesting, incidental.

And what would you consider proof ?

Lord Urizen
And what would you consider proof ?

Imperial_Samura

Yet the Bible was beaten as the number one most popular book in Australia by Lord of the Rings.

The Bible sells a lot of copies, but then so do dictionaries.

And of course there is the question - which kind of Bible? I you cut out the ones Catholics use, and the Mormon ones, and the Masons and all the other "not real Christians" then the Bible numbers are vastly reduced. Or do their Bible get countered when it is suitable, but then attacked when not?

Alliance
hmmmm...let me think on that one for about a few microseconds.

Lord Urizen
hmmmm...let me think on that one for about a few microseconds.

You know how to THINK ?

Amazing !

You gotta teach me that 1...

Lord Urizen
The funniest thing is Jesusisalive made no effort to disprove my thoery....

Lord Urizen
Again....JIA makes no attempt to even answer or disprove my arguments....what a coward

heru
There's is a myth of a women by the name of Lilith, who was made for Adam before Eve. It is said that, Adam wanted her to be submissive to him, and she would not obey. She felt she should be his equal not inferior to him. So because of her disobedience, he casted her out of the garden of eden and Eve was made for him. Lilith is said to have became Adam and Eve enemy, casting demonic spells on them. Have any of you guys heard anything on that.

Alliance
No, not really. Its an interesting twist though.

xmarksthespot
Originally posted by heru
There's is a myth of a women by the name of Lilith, who was made for Adam before Eve. It is said that, Adam wanted her to be submissive to him, and she would not obey. She felt she should be his equal not inferior to him. So because of her disobedience, he casted her out of the garden of eden and Eve was made for him. Lilith is said to have became Adam and Eve enemy, casting demonic spells on them. Have any of you guys heard anything on that. I was actually going to make a thread about Lilith, (I first came across the mythology after watching Neon Genesis: Evangelion happy ) but besides being an interesting story there isn't really that much to debate and discuss.

Lilith was created in the same way as Adam, rather than from Adam - therefore she viewed herself as his equal and so wouldn't lie beneath him. She wasn't actually cast out from paradise, she left the garden of her own volition by speaking the true name of god. In doing so she wasn't bound by original sin. She spawned hundreds of demon children, the Lilin, though the father of her children varies by account, in some it is the angel/demon Samael. When she refused to return to Adam her children were slain by three angels sent to retrieve her as blackmail, 100 for every day she refused to comply. So she swore to kill the children of Adam and Eve unless they were adorned with amulets bearing the names of these angels.

Quiero Mota
Jesus and Hercules - Both of their fathers are gods and their mothers are mortal women from a rural area. Both had extraordinary powers and saved people.

Alliance
Both mythological figures, likely tinges of insanity....

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by xmarksthespot
I was actually going to make a thread about Lilith, (I first came across the mythology after watching Neon Genesis: Evangelion happy ) but besides being an interesting story there isn't really that much to debate and discuss.

Lilith was created in the same way as Adam, rather than from Adam - therefore she viewed herself as his equal and so wouldn't lie beneath him. She wasn't actually cast out from paradise, she left the garden of her own volition by speaking the true name of god. In doing so she wasn't bound by original sin. She spawned hundreds of demon children, the Lilin, though the father of her children varies by account, in some it is the angel/demon Samael. When she refused to return to Adam her children were slain by three angels sent to retrieve her as blackmail, 100 for every day she refused to comply. So she swore to kill the children of Adam and Eve unless they were adorned with amulets bearing the names of these angels.

I have always felt Lilith, or the concept of Lilith, was hard done by, much like Satan. I mean that story shows it, she goes wrong for wanting equality with Adam and inexplicably ends up and enemy of God's children and having her kids murdered by Angels...

God isn't nice.

xmarksthespot
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
I have always felt Lilith, or the concept of Lilith, was hard done by, much like Satan. I mean that story shows it, she goes wrong for wanting equality with Adam and inexplicably ends up and enemy of God's children and having her kids murdered by Angels...

God isn't nice. I agree. Like the story of Lucifer and the story of The Fall, the Noah's arc story stolen from Sumerian mythology, these examples of the Christian god's punishment of man or otherwise for being "evil" tend to only paint him (or her if you subscribe to the black lesbian theory) in a bad light imo.

mahasattva
Again....JIA makes no attempt to even answer or disprove my arguments....what a coward

A coward? you are insulting JIA..... sick

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by mahasattva
A coward? you are insulting JIA..... sick

Not to worry, he will not read it. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Atlantis001

Atlantis001
DOUBLE POST

Lord Urizen
I Love Christian Mythology...just when it stays in mythos and out of politics

Jim Reaper
Here's a good one: Jesus and Dionysus.

The list scholars have compiled for parallels of Jesus and Dionysus include:

Birth to a divine parent
Narrow escape from attempts to kill him as an infant
Some "missing" formative years
Sudden appearance as a young adult manifesting miraculous gifts
Struggle with evil forces
Return to his place of origin, commonly resulting in rejection
Gift of wine and bread for communion
His betrayal, suffering, and death
His resurrection to divine status leading to the establishment of a cult honoring his name.

office jesus

Um..HUMANS created the bible. I HATE that argument. The idea that..well, and IDEA created something just..boggles the mind.

Alliance
The Bible is true. Why? The Bible says so.

*shoots self*

office jesus
Yes. If you use your brain...JIA gets mad.

Yes. The natives hate it when people think. It drives people like Bush crazy. laughing

Alliance
laughing out loud I don't even remember writing that.

Lord Urizen

Nellinator
Originally posted by Atlantis001 David vs. Marduk : david defeated Goliath, and Marduk defeated the Tiamat. There is also the fact that the jews and the babylonian where the same people before, so it makes sense that their cultures and religions is the same.
Okay. David was a real person and that is fact. Goliath is an oversized human (Phillistines or the Sea People were large). David was not elevated to 'god' status.
The David story should be believable even for skeptics. The similarities in these stories is hardly worth mentioning.

Storm
The story of David and Goliath could have some basis in fact.

xmarksthespot
Possibly, however I'm unconvinced that someone suffering from gigantism, which commonly is associated with a host of health problems and early death, would manage to become the champion of the Philistine army.

Alliance
Originally posted by Storm
The story of David and Goliath could have some basis in fact.

Something called ALLEGORY comes to mind.

Storm
My eyes are perfectly fine, thank you.

Lord Urizen

droolio

Alliance

laughing out loud I know. It wasn't directed towards you.

Lord Urizen
droolio

lord xyz
Originally posted by Nellinator
Okay. David was a real person and that is fact. Evidence?

Nellinator
Originally posted by lord xyz
Evidence?
The archaelogical evidence of the defeat of the Phillistines, testify to his first actions. The rebuilding of Jerusalem, many books accredited to him, the near infallibility of Jewish genealogical records, the strong evidence of the existence of his son Solomon, the archaelogical confirmation of his wars, the title of Davidum discovered, etc.

Do you believe that David never existed or are you simply trying to irritate me?

Lord Urizen
The archaelogical evidence of the defeat of the Phillistines, testify to his first actions. The rebuilding of Jerusalem, many books accredited to him, the near infallibility of Jewish genealogical records, the strong evidence of the existence of his son Solomon, the archaelogical confirmation of his wars, the title of Davidum discovered, etc.

Do you believe that David never existed or are you simply trying to irritate me?

There are roman documents which record the time Jesus was alive. I find that pretty interesting, I have also heard rumors that there are even documents of his court hearings before his crucifixion, but that could just be rumors...I have to look into that more.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if Jesus actually DID exist...I do not doubt that. Nor do I disrespect his teachings. I just do not think he is the Son of any Divine Creator, any more than you or myself would be.

He was a great man. A revolutionary at a time when Savage Violence was the answer to every dilemma. A spot of Love at a time when Hatred was the norm....It's such a shame that the majority of Christians today do not truly follow Christ, and only use him as an example to fuel thier own hatreds and biases.

To me Jesus is a great man and admirable, the same way I would admire Buddha, Alexander the Great, and so on.

Nellinator
There are roman documents which record the time Jesus was alive. I find that pretty interesting, I have also heard rumors that there are even documents of his court hearings before his crucifixion, but that could just be rumors...I have to look into that more.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if Jesus actually DID exist...I do not doubt that. Nor do I disrespect his teachings. I just do not think he is the Son of any Divine Creator, any more than you or myself would be.

He was a great man. A revolutionary at a time when Savage Violence was the answer to every dilemma. A spot of Love at a time when Hatred was the norm....It's such a shame that the majority of Christians today do not truly follow Christ, and only use him as an example to fuel thier own hatreds and biases.

To me Jesus is a great man and admirable, the same way I would admire Buddha, Alexander the Great, and so on.
A question to you. What do you admire about Alexander. Other than his skill as a conqueror?

Alliance
His religious philosophy would be one of the top on my list. Syncretism.

usagi_yojimbo

Hmmm...thou may call me crazy - but thy post above seems to be more of a satire - rather than a loving confession of thy admiration for Christ(satirical of a certain member perhaps?). However if it is not one - atleast we have made some progress with you. Now if we could only get you to completely acknowledge Christ(as your lord and saviour), as well as get you to share this truth with others, then dare I say it -- the world would be a much better place. Ah..but regardless of your intentions(loving or not) - thy small acknowledgement of Christ's love(from an individual such as yourself) - will only help to prove to others, how far reaching his(Christ's) love actually is.

So thank you once again for the support Urizen. God Bless.

Lord Urizen
A question to you. What do you admire about Alexander. Other than his skill as a conqueror?

Alexander integrated the cultures of those he conquered. He was one of the first, if not THE FIRST conquerer to respect the culture of those he conquered and make it part of his Greek Empire, instead of keeping these cultures as sub-citizens.

His skills as a conqueror are unbeat. For his time, with his resources, he did the unspeakable. Take over the majority of the Asian/Mediterranean/EAstern lands and make it one empire.

On top of that, each religion whether it was Greek, Egyptian, Persian, or Arab influenced the other due to exposure.

I beleive he was a great historical figure.

On top of that, he's bisexual lol.....I find it funny how most schools will not mention that.

Lord Urizen
Originally posted by usagi_yojimbo
Hmmm...thou may call me crazy - but thy post above seems to be more of a satire - rather than a loving confession of thy admiration for Christ(satirical of a certain member perhaps?).

Satire ? IS everything a fkn conspiracy to you ? Please...I have always thought that way.

I never hated Jesus. Nor do I adore him the way you do. I admire him as a person, and human being, and think he was great for his intentional sacrafice.

You do not have to WORSHIP Jesus to beleive he was great. no

However if it is not one - atleast we have made some progress with you.

Progress? Don't hold your breath....I have always thought that way about Jesus.

Now if we could only get you to completely acknowledge Christ(as your lord and saviour), as well as get you to share this truth with others, then dare I say it -- the world would be a much better place.

laughing

I welcome you to try. If you can prove to me that your God exists, prove to me that Jesus Christ is indeed our savior and not just a great historical figure, and convince me that I am not only evil but should change my identity, change my entire lifestyle to your version of what it should be...

And on top of that, convince me to GO BACK TO BEING CHRISTIAN even though I was CHRISTIAN for 18 YEARS OF MY LIFE......

Convince me that there is NO HYPOCRISY in today's Evangelical and Christian elite.....

PROVE TO ME THAT the UNIVERSE IS ONLY 6000 years old......

PROVE TO ME THAT ADAM AND EVE EXISTED

AND SUCCESSFULLY JUSTIFY HOW A LOVING GOD CREATES A PLACE LIKE HELL TO PUNISH HIS OWN CHILDREN FOR THE SIMPLE ACT OF DISOBEYING HIM........

THEN , and ONLY THEN, will I convert to your religion.

Otherwise, don't hold your breath !

Ah..but regardless of your intentions(loving or not) - thy small acknowledgement of Christ's love(from an individual such as yourself) - will only help to prove to others, how far reaching his(Christ's) love actually is.

1) You accused me of not knowing what Love is....so how can you imagine that My intentions could ever be loving ? roll eyes (sarcastic)

2) Christ's Love is only present in people. It does not exist on its own no His "love" varies, as ALL CHRISTIANS claim to be filled with Christ's love, yet all thier actions and moral stances differ, and a majority of Christians in United States happen to be very much filled with Hate.....

I admire Jesus Christ as a person. I do not admire the army of Conservative politic goons who claim to have him in thier hearts, and who only use him as a means to achieve thier own ends... no

So thank you once again for the support Urizen. God Bless.

Glad I can be of Help. wink

usagi_yojimbo
Satire ? IS everything a fkn conspiracy to you ? Please...I have always thought that way.

I never hated Jesus. Nor do I adore him the way you do. I admire him as a person, and human being, and think he was great for his intentional sacrafice.

You do not have to WORSHIP Jesus to beleive he was great. no

Progress? Don't hold your breath....I have always thought that way about Jesus.

laughing

I welcome you to try. If you can prove to me that your God exists, prove to me that Jesus Christ is indeed our savior and not just a great historical figure, and convince me that I am not only evil but should change my identity, change my entire lifestyle to your version of what it should be...

And on top of that, convince me to GO BACK TO BEING CHRISTIAN even though I was CHRISTIAN for 18 YEARS OF MY LIFE......

Convince me that there is NO HYPOCRISY in today's Evangelical and Christian elite.....

PROVE TO ME THAT the UNIVERSE IS ONLY 6000 years old......

PROVE TO ME THAT ADAM AND EVE EXISTED

AND SUCCESSFULLY JUSTIFY HOW A LOVING GOD CREATES A PLACE LIKE HELL TO PUNISH HIS OWN CHILDREN FOR THE SIMPLE ACT OF DISOBEYING HIM........

THEN , and ONLY THEN, will I convert to your religion.

Otherwise, don't hold your breath !

1) You accused me of not knowing what Love is....so how can you imagine that My intentions could ever be loving ? roll eyes (sarcastic)

2) Christ's Love is only present in people. It does not exist on its own no His "love" varies, as ALL CHRISTIANS claim to be filled with Christ's love, yet all thier actions and moral stances differ, and a majority of Christians in United States happen to be very much filled with Hate.....

I admire Jesus Christ as a person. I do not admire the army of Conservative politic goons who claim to have him in thier hearts, and who only use him as a means to achieve thier own ends... no

Glad I can be of Help. wink

The saddest thing that comes with one being in control, is the realisation that one never had control to begin with.

The saddest thing about one understanding, is the understanding that they never fully understood.

The saddest thing about one having power, is when one begins to gradually lose it.

But despite all of these abilities(or lack thereof) - 3 things always remain true. Faith, hope and love -- but the greatest amongst these things - is love.

Good day to you Urizen once again. God bless.

Alliance
The saddest thing that comes with one being in control, is the realisation that one never had control to begin with.

HAH! I didn't know you were atheist.

Lord Urizen

When did I claim to have control ?

The saddest thing about one understanding, is the understanding that they never fully understood.

When did I claim full understanding ?

The saddest thing about one having power, is when one begins to gradually lose it.

When did I claim to have power ?

But despite all of these abilities(or lack thereof) - 3 things always remain true. Faith, hope and love -- but the greatest amongst these things - is love.

PREACH BROTHA ! U PREACH !

Good day to you Urizen once again. God bless.

AMEN to your irrelevant, off the point posts thumb down

DigiMark007
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6410112404402873027&q=naked+truth

I've avoided posting this because its relatively long (almost 2 hours) and I realize few will watch it. But if anyone's interested in pagan influences on Christianity, this movie is fairly comprehensive and methodical in its research....it also has links to the website where you can purchase the movie and others like it.

I don't entirely agree with all of their conclusions....they paint an entirely bleak picture of organized religion that isn't always the case. In my mind, there's a certain power in many of the teachings of religion, so long as they are taken metaphorically and used toward the uplift of all life. They ignore this possibility, and focus on the negative aspects of organized religion....a valid opinion, but a bit harsh imo.

But it's nigh-impossible to refute the entirety of the information they present on the parellels between Christianity and older traditions.

Aside from, say, reading some works by Joseph Campbell or similarly thorough mythology and religious experts (which would take much longer than 2 hours), this is as comprehensive a catalogue as you'll find about these sorts of things.

Lord Urizen
Thank You Digi for the info...

And Thank You Usagi for giving up your argument.

Jim Reaper
Here's another: Utnapishtim, a figure from the Mesopotamian Epic of Gilgamesh - the hero Gilgamesh, after long and arduous travel, finds Utnapishtim living in the paradise of Dilmun at the end of the Earth, where he has been granted eternal life by the gods. (Gilgamesh's reason for seeking out Utnapishtim, incidentally, is to learn the secret of immortality - like Methuselah, he comes close to the gift but fails to achieve it). Utnapishtim then tells how he survived a great flood, and how he was afterwards granted immortality by the gods. The story has remarkable similarities with the account in Genesis.
Lamech's statement that Noah will be named "rest" because "out of the ground which the Lord has cursed this one shall bring us relief from our work and from the toil of our hands," has another faint parallel in Babylonian mythology: the gods grew tired of working, digging the channels of the rivers, and so the god Enki created man from clay and blood and spit to do the work for them. Enki fell in love with his creation, and later warned Utnapishtim that the other gods planned to send a flood to destroy all life, and advised him on how to construct his ark.

Lord Urizen
That's very interesting

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.