Biracials in America

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Quiero Mota
Has anyone noticed that biracial people in the US who are half White and something else always identify more with their other half? Regardless if their other parent is Black, Asian, Hispanic, Native American, Polynesian, Indian, Arab or whatever. They always claim whatever their non-White parent is.

I've known many biracials in my time, and this always seems to be true.

Why do you suppose this is?

Koala MeatPie
? so? Seriously, So what? Them calling themselves "white" would be just as off.

The way i see it "white" is like blank slate, your can mix it with anythign else.

Liek white paint mixed with black paint gives a sort of grey. It Isn't black, but sure as heck isn't white, yet its mroe black then white, seeing as its way darker then that.

jaden101
everyone wants to appear more bohemian and more exotic than their dull and boring lives make them

its not just a racial thing with US people either...people who have the tiniest bit of scottish/irish/italian/martian in them will always identify with their ancestoral history as well

probably has alot to do with the fact that the US is a culturally young country

Mr. Sandman
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
Has anyone noticed that biracial people in the US who are half White and something else always identify more with their other half? Regardless if their other parent is Black, Asian, Hispanic, Native American, Polynesian, Indian, Arab or whatever. They always claim whatever their non-White parent is.

I don't know why, but I've seen it as true.

Personally, I'm half Puerto Rican and half Persian, but I was raised by my mother, so I'd of course identify with her side more. Whenever I'm asked, I say I'm Puerto Rican. **** the guy who wasn't there.

Koala MeatPie
There is also Pride.

I'm French and Damend Pour of it.

PVS
its uncool to be white. if someone is half-anything but white they are cooler by default if they conveniently leave out the white part.

oh im wrong? ok fine then. any bi-racials here, please tell me that you take pride in and show off the fact that you're half white.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by PVS
its uncool to be white. if someone is half-anything but white they are cooler by default if they conveniently leave out the white part.

What the f**k? I really don't think "cool" is factor when choosing which side you can identify more with.

I think there's more to it than that...

botankus
I agree with PVS. My cousin-in-law is mixed, and his post defines everything she's about to a T.

PVS
What the f**k? I really don't think "cool" is factor when choosing which side you can identify more with.

I think there's more to it than that...

i am not talking about simple ethnic pride. you commented on how people who are half-white and half....not white drop the white part. that is why.

we identify with whom we chose to identify with, and its lame to be white.
thus why many white kids choose to identify with other ethnicities beyond their own.

Quiero Mota
Really? Why is it lame?

PVS
i dont think its lame. i honestly dont care.
but thats the general opinion among hipsters and people who give a shit about that sort of thing

jaden101
Really? Why is it lame?

cause we're world rapin' country pillagin' rootin' tootin' sons a bitches YEEEHAAAWWWW

Nichole

You mean biracials always claim they are black, and whine abut how hard it is to be black? I say to all of them-get over it.

D-Double
Originally posted by PVS

oh im wrong? ok fine then. any bi-racials here, please tell me that you take pride in and show off the fact that you're half white.

did you have an imaginary argument with an invisible person between those sentences? huh

PVS
Originally posted by D-Double
did you have an imaginary argument with an invisible person between those sentences? huh

why avoid the inevitable? i just saved us a page of overly predictable bullshit.

you're welcome

D-Double
Originally posted by jaden101
cause we're world rapin' country pillagin' rootin' tootin' sons a bitches YEEEHAAAWWWW

laughing

Originally posted by PVS

Well, my cousin is half black half white and since her black daddy (my uncle) took off on them, she mostly claims white because she got her love from white momma. I think it just has to do with the person's experience.

PVS
Originally posted by D-Double
I think it just has to do with the person's experience.

sometimes certain kids, through profound life experiences, can be surprisingly deep. however most are shallow little media/consumer junkies who just want to feel cool.

D-Double
true...

Slyððering
Am I biracial if I'm half-Scot and half-Englishman?

D-Double

Slyððering

PVS
probably scot because its not the imperial dominate side. stick out tongue

stikin it to the man

Slyððering
pray

PVS
im guilty too. im half italian and half english/german(and others too). guess what i claim?

Slyððering
No, not Italian....
I-I mean.... shifty

stick out tongue

PVS
yeah, i dont want to be a silly english nazi

Slyððering
stick out tongue

PVS
well, actually i come from a single italian parent home, and spent most family time with the italian side, so it rubbed off. so its not like im posing. and no, no gold chains, no slicked back hair, no cologne, and no camaro stick out tongue

tabby999
Originally posted by PVS

does that make you bi-racist? stick out tongue

PVS
Originally posted by tabby999
does that make you bi-racist? stick out tongue

yes, and bi-sexual as well.

tabby999
what about bi-species? I'm half white human, half tabby cat. I dont tell people about the white human part though. I could be a bi-species, bi-race, bi-sexual, bi-racist!

PVS
bi-polar?

tabby999
bi-polar bear?

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by Koala MeatPie
The way i see it "white" is like blank slate, your can mix it with anythign else.

Liek white paint mixed with black paint gives a sort of grey. It Isn't black, but sure as heck isn't white, yet its mroe black then white, seeing as its way darker then that.

That's an absolutely god-awful analogy.

In Taiwan, the opposite is true. Most of the bi-racial kids relate more to their Caucasian heritage. Maybe this is because it is usually the father who is Caucasian and most family relationships are paternal. I guess this could be true in the states, too...

Lord Urizen
Originally posted by PVS

I'm multi racial to be more precise, but yeah, im proud of everything I am...

Over all, I'm Hispanic, European, and Isreali (Colombian, Peruvian, French, Italian, German, Spaniard, and Isreali)

Now I have to admit, I usually just say "I'm Hispanic" or "I'm mixed" when people ask me what I am....just to simplify it, not because I am any more proud of being Hispanic than European, but I am predominantly Hispanic, and it's always a pain in the ass to state every nationality that I consist of....

Kryzula
I am of mixed European and Japanese background, but I usually just say "I am white" when asked what race I am. It is just easier... and well... my skins is in fact very, very white... you know... so most people see me that way.

~ Kryzula

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
In Taiwan, the opposite is true. Most of the bi-racial kids relate more to their Caucasian heritage. Maybe this is because it is usually the father who is Caucasian and most family relationships are paternal. I guess this could be true in the states, too...

That's interesting. Perhaps because Whites are considered "exotic" over there.

Afro Cheese
Back in the day a half-black half-white person would still be labeled black, you tell me why biracials should consider themselves white? They haven't been for centuries, it's always been that white blood is pure and to mix it with any other blood makes it no longer white. You can't erase an attitude like that over night.

But it's also a simple matter of appearence.. a half-black half white person will almost always look black, and will never look completely white.

The "cool" factor is more prevalent among white kids who claim that they're not white, they're "italian" or "russian" or whatever. Kids who are half black have a good reason not to consider themselves white. What indicates race if not physical appearence?

Robtard
Originally posted by PVS
well, actually i come from a single italian parent home, and spent most family time with the italian side, so it rubbed off. so its not like im posing. and no, no gold chains, no slicked back hair, no cologne, and no camaro stick out tongue

Correct depiction of you PVS?

http://www.download-game.com/Mario_Brothers-Mario_Picture.jpg

I'm Italian / Spanish, but people always call me 'white boy'... I'm cool with it. Otherwise, I'd think it is a cultural thing, most mixed people I know do identify with the 'non-white' side more, at least in America.

Kryzula
Originally posted by Afro Cheese
Back in the day a half-black half-white person would still be labeled black, you tell me why biracials should consider themselves white? They haven't been for centuries, it's always been that white blood is pure and to mix it with any other blood makes it no longer white. You can't erase an attitude like that over night.

But it's also a simple matter of appearence.. a half-black half white person will almost always look black, and will never look completely white.

The "cool" factor is more prevalent among white kids who claim that they're not white, they're "italian" or "russian" or whatever. Kids who are half black have a good reason not to consider themselves white. What indicates race if not physical appearence?
Those are some very good points, Afro Cheese.

~ Kryzula

Nogoodnamesleft
Originally posted by PVS

I'm 7/8 white. I'd take pride in that, but I can't because it's Irish blood and nobody wants to be Irish. Not even the Irish.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
That's interesting. Perhaps because Whites are considered "exotic" over there.

Yeah, that's definitely true, too.

The Vice King
I'm half white-half korean. I usually just put 'other'.

Lyna303

yea this is true...now that i think about it...

i have this one half chinese half irish friend; her parents are divorced and shes been living with her american dad for more than 10 yrs of her life, but she insists that she is really asian and she even tries to adopt "asian mannerisms" and sterotypes so she can appear to be "more asian"...she even tries to cook chinese food... sick

it gets kind of annoying after a while...

Nogoodnamesleft

Nogoodnamesleft
Also, I should note that, technically speaking, the general opinion is that someone is only really white if they entirely have white blood and are not related at all to anyone who isn't white. I look Caucasian but I'm 1/8 Chippewa Indian, so I'm not really white. I just look like I am (though even then, a bit swarthy at that).

Quiero Mota
Yeah, that's definitely true, too.

Yeah, being different (depending where you are) can automatically make you a "hot commodity". I really experienced that when I was in the Army. I'm American and Latino; two things that aren't exactly common in countries like Sweden and Korea. So naturally that helped me get a lot of chicks. (Not that I needed that to. cool )

Imperial_Samura
In Australia is possible for a person of Aboriginal and "white" heritage to have access to certain benefits.

Just or not it has led to many promoting the Aboriginal side of their heritage over the "white" side as the Aboriginal part gives the access to perks - financial or otherwise.

As to more generally - maybe it is a simple surface thing. In such a genetic mix they rarely appear "just white" - they look closer to the "non white" parent - thus easier to identify on image alone with that nationality, or pass for it. It is an identity thing. Physically they don't feel they belong to the "white" group, they identify their physical appearance more with those of the other nationality.

Slyððering
Originally posted by Nogoodnamesleft
Umm, the English and the Scottish are both white.

But they were genetically two different races.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Afro Cheese
The "cool" factor is more prevalent among white kids who claim that they're not white, they're "italian" or "russian" or whatever.

Now that's just stupid. That's like saying "I'm not Asian, I'm Chinese".

Afro Cheese
Lyrics to a real, geniune Chingy song:

I like them black, white, Puerto Rican, or Haitian
Like Japanese, Chinese, or even Asian

Imperial_Samura

I've known of people like that - identifying themselves with a particular racial group as opposed to the umbrella definition. Of course few are silly enough to think they don't belong to the larger group in general, but identify themselves culturally more with the smaller one.

Asian is a big thing, Chinese is something defines with its own connotations and image. Why some people say "I am American" as opposed to "I am white."

PVS

not if your from an asian country thats not china

debbiejo
I am half Italian with an 1/8th Cherokee,............and German with a certain last name of my mother............oooooooooo and a bit of french.................so, how would I identify myself?

Darth_Erebus
I think it's probably a cultural norm. In the early days (18th, 19th and early 20th centuries) bi racial children were almost always the product of a white father and a black/indian/asian/hispanic mother. The white community wouldn't accept the biracial child as one of their own and the mother was left (most such births were out of wedlock at the time) to care for the child and thus the child always both accepted and was viewed by society as part of his mothers race as opposed to being white. I think society still views things in much the same way.

meep-meep

I think if a person is biracial it is usually obvious just by their appearance. If a person is half white and half black you can see it. The same usually goes for half latino and half asian-half whites. I am biracial half latino and half white and if I identified my self as being white people would undoudtedly look at me funny considering the dark hue of my skin and my dark hair and eyes. I guess this is why people will occasionally ask me where I am from even though I was born in the midwest and have here for most of my life. If a person is considered half latino and half black they can easily identify with one side or the other. But, if a person is half latino (or asian or black) and half white they will only be thought of as being the minority half. For the most part, though, my white friends don't give a shit about my race because they understand that race means nothing. Communication trancends racial boundaries.

Interestingly enough I get some forms of prejudice, once and awhile, from latinos when they find out how poor my spanish is...

meep-meep
I think people need to stop labeling every person with a white complexion as being white. Their are so many different ethnic backgrounds that it seems almosts insulting to use such a broad term as "white." I mean can't crackers be proud of their cracker heritage too??? It's not fair I tell you!!

botankus
Originally posted by debbiejo
how would I identify myself?

If you can't identify yourself, even in a mirror, you're even loonier than I thought. I like that.

debbiejo
Well the FBI has my finger prints........soooo they can identify me.......

RocasAtoll
Well, I'm part Mexican, Black, White, and Brazillian. What does that make me on a census?

Fëanor

debbiejo
I am what I am.............1/2 Italian...............Oooo.......don't get a buzz, and 1/8 the Cherokee (which I wish more for the benefits)............a little of this and that................I identify with ALL OF Me in every way, cause that is what I AM................Yet I am not all this.......I do try to identify with my past and cultures to understand them..................because that is my past, and in understanding that, I can make room for my future......

Lyna303
i identify myself as being vietnamese-american....even though im like 1/16 or something chinese......don't really mind being called asian though...

debbiejo
native american past is sooooooo cool, along with the Italian views............something weird...........lol

not enough of french and german to matter I suppose, unless you take me for being outword spoken, but then that IS ITALIAN. lol.......hahahah

Common statement from Italy............"damn it, eat you food!!!!".........LOL

Lyna303
Originally posted by debbiejo
native american past is sooooooo cool, along with the Italian views............something weird...........lol

not enough of french and german to matter I suppose, unless you take me for being outword spoken, but then that IS ITALIAN. lol.......hahahah

Common statement from Italy............"damn it, eat you food!!!!".........LOL
ok...ok... no expression

JesusIsAlive

Perhaps because society does that to them.

Alfheim

It could be racism. A racist will only for example see the black race even if that person has european blood in them.

Fishy
Thats because European is not a race...

History Buff

Alliance
1066...very big year for the English culture.

Fishy
England, sponsored by Norway created by France.

fini
WHOA, JIA comes outside of the religion section??? WOW

Alfheim
Originally posted by fini
WHOA, JIA comes outside of the religion section??? WOW laughing Thats what I was thinking.

ThePittman
Originally posted by fini
WHOA, JIA comes outside of the religion section??? WOW laughing RUN!!!!!!!!

B dot Rob
1/8th rule

Soleran
Originally posted by B dot Rob
1/8th rule

You are an idiot stop posting.

debbiejo
Originally posted by ThePittman
laughing RUN!!!!!!!! Oh, you have all hear of him..... eek!

Oncewhite
Thomas Jefferson had used algebra to calculate the amount of white blood it took to get back to white within a bloodline (3 generations after black, I believe, but this was not told to me at Monticello), anyway, I'll do my best to explain, as white USUALLY acts as a "not" logic circiut

A(race)+W(white) = NOT W
B(black)+W=NOT W
I(Indian)+W=NOT W
A(Asian)+W=NOT W

but black seems to take most of the facial characteristics and the hair type, and white gene seems to be more giving or accepting, so, rarely does it xerox the same race unless it is with another white person, so we can understand someone who wants to only mate with white as if they didn't it would be the same as being gay - which means not producing the race for the next generation (see thread about voodoo and sexual spirits used to cause someone to desire the same race, silly, but it is told among a certain crowd of people), so it always gives to the other races, but ends up not looking much like the race, YET, I'VE SEEN BLACKS MIX WITH WHITE WHO STILL LOOK 100% BLACK, NO JOKE. Thomas Jefferson not only had sex with most of his slaves, but made sure that before he freed slaves, the ones freed would be one generation away from being too black, apparently he noticed something when he use to watch them work (I went to Monticello to observe if he had a good view of them). I know he was interested in freeing the slaves but it was reported (not at monticello) that he had algebraic problems to figure how many generations it would take to get that bloodline back to white, apparently, after he finished with some of them, and produced or donated his good genes (lol), he may have figured this was enough to help out the nation, instead of freeing them without any white blood...

Oncewhite
Originally posted by Oncewhite
(see thread about voodoo and sexual spirits used to cause someone to desire the same race,

I meant, see thread about voodoo and sexual spirits used to cause someone to desire the SAME SEX, as if a man has a female spirit possessing him, he will desire other men, and won't want to have children...

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Thomas Jefferson had used algebra to calculate the amount of white blood it took to get back to white within a bloodline (3 generations after black, I believe, but this was not told to me at Monticello), anyway, I'll do my best to explain, as white USUALLY acts as a "not" logic circiut

A(race)+W(white) = NOT W
B(black)+W=NOT W
I(Indian)+W=NOT W
A(Asian)+W=NOT W

but black seems to take most of the facial characteristics and the hair type, and white gene seems to be more giving or accepting, so, rarely does it xerox the same race unless it is with another white person, so we can understand someone who wants to only mate with white as if they didn't it would be the same as being gay - which means not producing the race for the next generation (see thread about voodoo and sexual spirits used to cause someone to desire the same race, silly, but it is told among a certain crowd of people), so it always gives to the other races, but ends up not looking much like the race, YET, I'VE SEEN BLACKS MIX WITH WHITE WHO STILL LOOK 100% BLACK, NO JOKE. Thomas Jefferson not only had sex with most of his slaves, but made sure that before he freed slaves, the ones freed would be one generation away from being too black, apparently he noticed something when he use to watch them work (I went to Monticello to observe if he had a good view of them). I know he was interested in freeing the slaves but it was reported (not at monticello) that he had algebraic problems to figure how many generations it would take to get that bloodline back to white, apparently, after he finished with some of them, and produced or donated his good genes (lol), he may have figured this was enough to help out the nation, instead of freeing them without any white blood...

Wow. People like you still exist, huh? Shame...

Oncewhite
What is there to be shamed of? The history of Thomas Jefferson? The voodoo occult? The fact that if a white person mixes with a non-white person, they won't have white children? What is the shame exactly?

Ya Krunk'd Floo
What is there to be shamed of? The history of Thomas Jefferson? The voodoo occult? The fact that if a white person mixes with a non-white person, they won't have white children? What is the shame exactly?

Just the tone, content, and pretext of all your posts. They're all pretty shameful and embarrassing. Try to get out more, dude.

Oncewhite
what's shameful in the tone? how is the content shameful? how is the pretext embarrassing? And I'm not male, you are reading a lot into the words, and I think it's your image that's shameful and embarrassing.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Well, it's shameful because it implies of an inherent superiority by being 'white'. It's embarrassing because your first post supposes their is a 'remedy' to becoming 'white' again. Then, there is racist pretext demonstrated by the tone of your language, and your choice of vocabulary. Finally, there are sentences like this:

I know he was interested in freeing the slaves but it was reported (not at monticello) that he had algebraic problems to figure how many generations it would take to get that bloodline back to white, apparently, after he finished with some of them, and produced or donated his good genes (lol), he may have figured this was enough to help out the nation, instead of freeing them without any white blood...

I think you've wasted enough of my time, and you really need to go out and live in the world.

Oncewhite
whatever

GringoDeMaio
Half-whites identifying with their non-white lineage is known in anthropology as hypodescent; this, IMHO, stems from racially exclusionary practices. Basically, in a society which follows hypodescent (most Western cultures fall into this category) a mixed-race person is ascribed the status of the (socio-culturally) subordinate race. I'm no expert on this topic, but it seems to me that this is based upon the desire of the "dominant" race to exclude anyone who is "tainted" by minority lineage.

While the origin of this trend (and it is by no means universal) may be an attempt at "racial preservation" it is also reinforced by the fact that in Western culture we are completely engulfed in whiteness (I should probably say European culture but FTW), which may drive one to embrace the distinctness of one's non-white background. Some caucasians are probably still blind enough to the rest of the world to believe that everyone wants to be white; this is not the case. Personally I think it's fascinating (and good for you) to explore and indulge in the practices of various cultures, despite my WASPish background (don't tell any white people I said that or my membership in the country club may be revoked LOL)

botankus
Did Krunky die? Or is he still on Xmas holiday?

Tempe Brennan

To be honest, I haven't noticed this. What I have noticed is, with blacks especially, they always seem to identify with their 'blackness' rather than the part of them which is white. You know - they have a black father and a white mother, but they refer to themselves as 'African American's'.

How black do you have to be before you can call yourself that? confused

I've been curious about this for awhile now, so I may as well ask it here. smile

chillmeistergen
Black enough to be able to say it, without someone spitting whatever they're drinking all over you.

Tempe Brennan
Originally posted by chillmeistergen
Black enough to be able to say it, without someone spitting whatever they're drinking all over you.

Okay, but if someone is black and white, why not say they are white? Why say they are black when they are not 100% black? confused

chillmeistergen
Obviously, I can only speculate, as I'm neither mixed race or black. But my guess would be that black culture is more exclusive. In a politically correct society, a black person may take part in any aspect of culture, without eyebrows being raised. Now, the same cannot be said for a white person partaking in activities that are culturally black, for example hip hop and use of vocabulary.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.