Namor Movie by Director of Terminator 3

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

General Kon-El
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060914/film_nm/submariner_dc

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - "Terminator 3" director Jonathan Mostow will write and direct "Sub-Mariner," an adaptation of one of Marvel Comics' oldest superheroes.

ADVERTISEMENT

In the comic, the Sub-Mariner's real name is Prince Namor, a half-man/half-amphibian from the underwater kingdom of Atlantis. An anti-hero, he frequently finds himself helping the human race as much as he fights it when humans pollute the waters.

The Sub-Mariner first appeared in "Marvel Comics" #1 in 1939, when Marvel Comics was known as Timely Comics. He made his first modern appearance in the pages of "Fantastic Four" in the early 1960s.

Universal Pictures' take will see a young man discovering he actually is a prince from Atlantis, with him turning out to be the key man in a brewing war between the underwater world and the modern surface world. Chris Columbus was on board to direct and produce the film in 2004.

Marvel Studios and producer Kevin Misher had long been interested in Mostow, but he was never available. When Mostow's schedule opened up, he called to check whether the character was up for grabs. When he was, Mostow developed a take that found the core of the character, something that had eluded the producers.

"We want to show our first hero, and still most unique hero, in a world that the audience has never seen before," said Kevin Feige, who will oversee the project for Marvel. "But that spectacle will be tempered with character. Our hero is caught between two worlds. That is the heart of the story, and it is that dichotomy that makes him so interesting."

"Sub-Mariner" will mark Mostow's first film since 2003's "Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines." His credits include "U-571" and "Breakdown," both of which were for Universal.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

roughrider
He's a step-up from the pedestrian Chris Columbus, anyway.
I would guess a date for this film as...late 2008.

redcaped
Is The Submariner older than Aquaman?

Zahit
Terminator 3 sucked donkey. He better not screw up Namor!!!

redcaped
OK, I did check and yes, he is older than Aquaman by two years. I want this movie!

NoFate007
Although I'm not a fan of the Namor character, I hope for you guys that Mostow doesn't ruin it as much as he ruined T3.

redcaped
This is a fresh thought. I wonder if someone during WW2 thought about Namor since the war also took place at the sea! A teenager...A child? No one can prove that now, except for the one that thought it but still has to be a member of KMC. They or whoever that was didn't have to be on a ship, maybe the newspaper or radio. I will tell you the truth...I would have if I were back then. I am a very thoughtful person, as a matter of fact that is actually the world I'm living...a world of my own.

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by redcaped
This is a fresh thought. I wonder if someone during WW2 thought about Namor since the war also took place at the sea! A teenager...A child? No one can prove that now, except for the one that thought it but still has to be a member of KMC. They or whoever that was didn't have to be on a ship, maybe the newspaper or radio. I will tell you the truth...I would have if I were back then. I am a very thoughtful person, as a matter of fact that is actually the world I'm living...a world of my own.

... I'm sorry I'm a bit confused but are you arguing that Bill Everett didn't create Namor?

redcaped
I don't have that kind of attitude. I do have a question. Is the Sub-Mariner going to be witnessing WW2 in this movie? I think he should, he was previously involved with Captain America's story! And it would also be a good excuse for him to have that judgement about humans. Somehow like Wolverine...ageless.

DarkCrawler
Originally posted by redcaped
I don't have that kind of attitude. I do have a question. Is the Sub-Mariner going to be witnessing WW2 in this movie? I think he should, he was previously involved with Captain America's story! And it would also be a good excuse for him to have that judgement about humans. Somehow like Wolverine...ageless.

Namor was created in 1939. In comic time, he was 18 when WWII started. I think this movie is set on that timeframe...

redcaped
Thanks! I'm only suggesting a very small scene from WW2, because the movie is basically about his underwater kingdom. It would also give more realism to the character which is in a desperate need. It would give Namor that mysterious presence unknown to us that he inspires. I'm doing this with real sympathy. And please also remember my previous concern about character's approach in likeness for the actor.

redcaped
I bought the yellow and blue marvel heroes collector's set in 1999. Each one brings a comic reprint, 3 vhs tapes, and a exclusive coin. The Sub-Mariner tape contains a brief introduction by Stan Lee who refers to us as "lucky devil" I still have them.

roughrider
Originally posted by Zahit
Terminator 3 sucked donkey. He better not screw up Namor!!!
Yes, T3 was a film that shouldn't even have been made. The story ended with T2.
And his previous film U-571 was an historical lie & offense against the British Navy, who got the enigma machines long before any American sailors laid hands on one.
But, he's good with action and reasonably intelligent. So long as Namor hits the screen before Arthur Whitefish (aka Aquaman) ever does. stick out tongue

redcaped
One more thing...instead of feathers Namor should have that fish thing on his ankles. He uses the same method of flying by moving in water...no swimming please.

Ultraman Baltan
I enjoyed T3 a lot. Not as much as T2, of course, but still pretty good. It was like an update of T2(though, once again, no where near as good). Never saw T1.

redcaped
I find Tee Too boring!

redcaped
I think fishes communicate using some sort of telepathy. I've seen a foursome in a lake and I'm 20x20 their lips didn't move, neither them. In other words they work like remote controllers transmitting their signal by establishing a link just like we do here on the net. Namor like the others have mouth but they only use it to eat...I wonder what kind of food but it shouldn't be cooked. Another thing to point out in this movie!

Big Sexy
Originally posted by Ultraman Baltan
I enjoyed T3 a lot. Not as much as T2, of course, but still pretty good. It was like an update of T2(though, once again, no where near as good). Never saw T1. I agree, it wasn't as good as two but enjoyable. T1 has a lot of funny moments to me and the story for one had a good take on the results of time travel that wasn't seen in 2 or 3. It was kinda like 12 monkeys starring Bruce Willis

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.