Russia

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nogoodnamesleft
Just what's the deal with this country? What's the deal with it now umpty years after the end of the Cold War? What the Hell happened to Russia's military? Will this country ever recover or become First World (what an ironic term to use) or not be a toilet? Are Russians really white people?

KidRock
AND WHATS THE DEAL WITH AIRLINE FOOD?!

Darth Jello
white people? what are you an idiot?

basically russia just underwent a name change, a slight PR makeover, and changed the KGB into mobsters.

dark wizard
russia will become a comunist state again under putin, and then you'll be happy, another cold war. between russia, china japan and the usa

Quiero Mota
Other than vodka and the AK, Russia really hasn't given much to the World....

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by Nogoodnamesleft
Just what's the deal with this country? What's the deal with it now umpty years after the end of the Cold War? What the Hell happened to Russia's military? Will this country ever recover or become First World (what an ironic term to use) or not be a toilet? Are Russians really white people?

What are you on about? Empty? Russia is still a terribly populous country. Military? Just because it isn't US quality doesn't mean it isn't there. White people? What does that have to do with anything? (They are Slavic) - and I hardly think you are qualified to term the nation a toilet - it is still economically influential, and with the drive towards prgress of industry and the like they are going to be one of the more powerful economic nations in the future.

Of course - all the art, music, litrature, philosophy and the like over the years means nothing. I guess you don't know of the great Russian composers. Or of their industry? Or the fact they have access to a lot of oil?

A posistion well supported by the complete lack of proof such a thing will happen, yes?

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
Of course - all the art, music, litrature, philosophy and the like over the years means nothing. I guess you don't know of the great Russian composers.

Those are artforms, ey. I'm talking practical shit.

Or of their industry?

Yeah, which is why I mentioned the AK-47.

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
Those are artforms, ey. I'm talking practical shit.

Uh-huh. Here I was thinking cultural wonders were worth something. But they aren't practical.

Tell me, the Renaissance - in your view a waste of time or not?

Russian industry extends beyond the mass production of a certain type of gun.

Quiero Mota
Tell me, the Renaissance - in your view a waste of time or not?

Of course not.

Russian industry extends beyond the mass production of a certain type of gun.

I really can't think of any mass-produced Russian inventions that are as popular or as commonplace as vodka or the AK.....

Imperial_Samura
Of course not.

Despite the fact some of the most important stuff that came out of the Renaissance was artistic or throught based?

I'm not so much talking about Russian "only" inventions (and technically they didn't invent the gun, merely that form of it) - I am talking about industry in general. They are in a situation similar to, though not quite as good as, China and India - large population, low pay, many factories.

As well as this there has been western investment in the oil - as I said above Russia will have access to a lot of oil and other natural resourses. And they grow a lot of crops that are worth alot of money - potatoes and grain coming to mind.

jaden101
Russia is a great country...

grey fox
Russia has a lot of mythology behind it , War bound Czars , mystical entities and tons of stuff. For fiction it's a goldmine .

Plus there names just sound awesome Czar sounds SO much more Badass then king...

Nogoodnamesleft
Yeah, but are Slavs white people? I'm wondering, because in WW2 part of Operation Barbarossa was that the Germans wanted to exterminate the Russians and/or use them as slaves cause they thought that Russians weren't real white people, but then later they changed their opinion and considered the Russians to be Aryans. I'm not a Nazi (and who ever heard of a Nazi that's 1/8 Chippewa Indian anyways?), I'm just asking this question because Russians look Caucasian. Although in Russia, a Caucasian is a person from the Caucasus mountains, it doesn't mean a white guy.

Also, if possible, could Grey Fox post some links to some stuff about Russian folklore and mystical entities and mythology and stuff? It sounds pretty cool. Assuming that what he said wasn't the sum total of absolutely everything he knew about the place, lol.

grey fox

Also, if possible, could Grey Fox post some links to some stuff about Russian folklore and mystical entities and mythology and stuff? It sounds pretty cool. Assuming that what he said wasn't the sum total of absolutely everything he knew about the place, lol.

Ok Slavic Folklore is always a good place to start , next up Grigori Rasputin who may be a real person but his death and various ideals are very...out there , so to speak . Finally Soviet Movies are usually (like most foreign movies) very good compared to our own with a different style of storytelling driving the films.

I don't know a huge deal about Russia but i know enough wink

Imperial_Samura
Yeah, but are Slavs white people? I'm wondering, because in WW2 part of Operation Barbarossa was that the Germans wanted to exterminate the Russians and/or use them as slaves cause they thought that Russians weren't real white people, but then later they changed their opinion and considered the Russians to be Aryans. I'm not a Nazi (and who ever heard of a Nazi that's 1/8 Chippewa Indian anyways?), I'm just asking this question because Russians look Caucasian. Although in Russia, a Caucasian is a person from the Caucasus mountains, it doesn't mean a white guy.

I am fairly sure it is a descriptor based upon the predominance of Slavic language in the area. The Nazi's are hardly authorities on correct racial identification. While some say the people of Russia and other East European nations are distinctive in terms of physical appearance the main reason is that predominant language that binds the region together.

Kinneary
Originally posted by dark wizard
russia will become a comunist state again under putin, and then you'll be happy, another cold war. between russia, china japan and the usa
Japan? Japan is the military equivalent of my grandparents. And my grandpa is dead.

Though in the next twenty or so years, I wouldn't be surprised if a second cold war came about between the USA and China.

RZA
Not to mention the fact that Russia has never lost a war on Russian soil. Both Hitler and Napoleon failed in their attempts at conquering the 'Big Bear'.

To this day, I am convinced that Russia simply cannot be defeated on Russian soil.

Quiero Mota
Despite the fact some of the most important stuff that came out of the Renaissance was artistic or throught based?

I was agreeing with you, homes.

And Russia does have some fine women. So that's something else they have to be proud about.

BoogerEater
Russia is still a super power. I think we will someday see the USSR again.

Fishy
Originally posted by RZA
Not to mention the fact that Russia has never lost a war on Russian soil. Both Hitler and Napoleon failed in their attempts at conquering the 'Big Bear'.

To this day, I am convinced that Russia simply cannot be defeated on Russian soil.

At this time nobody would be stupid enough to attack Russia, it still has enough nukes to blow up the world a few hundred times or so...

But yeah Russia probably wouldn't be conquered otherwise either. A lot of people live there, fierce nationalists at least a great deal of them, great oppertunity's for industry in both the east and the west of the country and a lot of oil...

Russia will only get richer and stronger and more powerful and probably less democratic in the future... Putin is investing a lot of money in the oil bussines and in the military, and at the same time reduced the freedom of the press and invested more money in the secret police. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if he tried to limit the freedom of the people more adn more and make himself a dictator of some sort.

He already threw his most important political rivals in prison, and the western world is pretty much silent about it... But that's probably a good thing for the Russians. The west failed to help them become a good and stable democracy so they might just as well go back to what they were before and what worked... Or at least something in between the two.

Faceman
Other than vodka and the AK, Russia really hasn't given much to the World.... You forgot mail order brides. laughing

smoker4
Originally posted by Faceman
You forgot mail order brides. laughing

You obviously didn't stick out tongue

debbiejo
(Lennon/McCartney)

Oh, flew in from Miami Beach B.O.A.C.
Didn't get to bed last night
On the way the paper bag was on my knee
Man I had a dreadful flight
I'm back in the U.S.S.R.
You don't know how lucky you are boy
Back in the U.S.S.R. (Yeah)

Been away so long I hardly knew the place
Gee it's good to be back home
Leave it till tomorrow to unpack my case
Honey disconnect the phone
I'm back in the U.S.S.R.
You don't know how lucky you are boy
Back in the U.S.
Back in the U.S.
Back in the U.S.S.R.

Well the Ukraine girls really knock me out
They leave the West behind
And Moscow girls make me sing and shout
That Georgia's always on my mind

Aw come on!
Ho yeah!
Ho yeah!
Ho ho yeah!
Yeah yeah!

Yeah I'm back in the U.S.S.R.
You don't know how lucky you are boys
Back in the U.S.S.R.

Well the Ukraine girls really knock me out
They leave the West behind
And Moscow girls make me sing and shout
That Georgia's always on my mind

RZA
I enjoyed Sigourney Weaver's interpretation of that song in 'Heart Breakers' big grin

FeceMan
Thank God for the ban.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.