A change in the wind!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

LovelyOne
I find this VERY interesting in movie 1..some of us know that with the original draft script it was much more Jack/Liz orientated (thanks to katelovespirate for posting)

You know that scene where the wind changes as soon as Liz falls in the water and Jack dives in

In my honest opinion it was cut out because..I think its tied in with what their original plans for the script where..where it was very Jack/Liz orientated..its one of the "too close" Jack/Liz scenes they cut out IMO because by this point their ending was Will/Liz decided..

I looked at it and thought..yeah they cut that out because its so randomly long..but then I thought to myself as someone who studies how to do screenplays etc why would they even make that so randomly long.to the point where its like WHAT THE HELL is this ever going to end..just to show you that the wind is changing direction

IT MEANS SOMETHING MORE when you drag a scene out like this..its supposed to make a huge huge significant point

what we basically see is her fall in..then Jack dives in..then the wind changes..and as he draws closer to her the music comes all the more dramatic..and we then see so many shots of the wind blowing and disrupting the stuck up peoples lives..all their fancy hats get knocked off..all their pretty umbrellas..and it reaches a climax as soon as he grabs her

In my opinion this symbolizes:

ELIZABETH SWAN MEETS CAPTAIN JACK SPARROW. BOTH THEIR LIVES ARE ABOUT TO CHANGE FOREVER.

a change in the wind for both characters.

sccch
Good point....

CaptinJackLover
excellent point!

katelovespirate
Oh wow, thats brilliant. SO TRUE>.. that's good.

i think its significant that Jack makes the choice to DIVE IN.... he chooses to get involved. He chooses to risk himself for her. He chooses to be the hero for her.

and he didn't know she was young or pretty at that point, ya know? she could have been anyone. She was actually, at that point, someone he stood against--- she was wealthy, high class, etc. Everything Jack hated.

and Im STILL captured by the fact that he saves her by giving her freedom--- to breath--- by taking off her corset, removing her restraints, giving her exactly what she needed.

and its JACK who first finds the medallion on her....

AKA: its JACK who first sees the PIRATE in her.... its JACK who understands who she really is.

great points, Lovelyone.... YAYAYAY!!! smile

sccch
Jack is letting her free...like a sparrow.
Sparrow=Freedom

Chiki Mina
everyday i feel dumber and dumber...lovelyones theories are always great!!

CaptinJackLover
it makes perfect sense, he is the first one to see the pirate in her. So Jack is the only man she is able to be that pirate with because he let her breath/ get freedom. Thats why she isnt that way with Will. Will didnt see that she was a pirate until the end of DMC because of the kiss, and he wasnt the one to give her that freedom. In fact, he keeps her from being free, he doenst wnat her to change, probably cuz thats who he fell in love with, the rich spoiled little girl shw was, but Jakc fell in love with the pirate in her, and thats how he sees her. He sees her like she truly is.

CaptinJackLover
Originally posted by sccch
Jack is letting her free...like a sparrow.
Sparrow=Freedom

omg i never thought baout that before but its so true...Jack is her freedom,just by meeting her he gave her the freedom she needed for people to realize that she is really a pirate and wants that life

LovelyOne
thanks guys

and katelovespirate!! I agree with you SO MUCH!!..i

I just watched it again and firstly we see all the sailors and people by the sea getting disrupted by the wind..boats sailing away on their own..and this symbolizes that Jack is going to change..it shows you where he makes the exception for Elizabeth (even though this is before he knows her) no matter what the result and how it may harm HIM

it cuts to Will's blacksmith shop and the window gets slammed SHUT!..I think its his window lol(will gets locked away? NIT A CHANCE Will now that these 2 have met laughing out loud )

and then it goes to how its effecting all the rich upper class people (he frees her from that kind of life..along with the corset)

and yes the moment he touches her, he frees her and allows her to breathe. big grin

Chiki Mina
i have never thought of the change in the wind....now i really feel dumb baby i really need to see that movie again good God

CaptinJackLover
Originally posted by LovelyOne

it cuts to Will's blacksmith shop and the window gets slammed SHUT!..I think its his window lol(will gets locked away? NIT A CHANCE Will now that these 2 have met laughing out loud )

and then it goes to how its effecting all the rich upper class people (he frees her from that kind of life..along with the corset)

Its his DOOR that gets slammed shut lol...but anywayz yeah that happens because Will would ahve had her if he wouldnt have worried about being upperclass like her..so its closing the dooor on him because he lost his chance and the door most close now because hses met Jack

Yeah it affects the rich upper class people because hes freeing her form that and now that her pirate self has been seen, her old life gets ruined and will have changed forever

LovelyOne
Also..will's moment here is SO insignifcant compared to THESE two and how they will affect one anothers lives on a huge scale..by movie 2?? Yes this basically happens..these two change one another on a massive scale..will changes a bit and then doesnt get a look in with Jack/Liz..

come to think of it that entire scene basically shows us what happens in movie 2... It seems as if they had Jack/Liz on their minds the whole time as the relationship, before movie 2 even came out..probably before they even wrote the script for either of the movies.

Jack changes because of Elizabeth

Elizabeth changes because of Jack

Will changes a bit ..and doesnt even get a look in whilst Jack/Liz do their thang!

Chiki Mina
these 2 ppl need in eachother in order to become that greater person-that potential thats within. they are not exactly different-yea sure they both are in a different class and what not but if u look in a different light they both are the same.

that is something they both know but liz, like always, gets so scared. She just still cant believe that jack is her actual soul mate-and that soul mate is not just a man but a pirate. liz is the type of person t run away when it comes to feelings especially with jack.

sccch
I love your siggy Chiki Mina! It's SOO true, 'A kiss is worth a thousand words...'

willofthewisp
"and Im STILL captured by the fact that he saves her by giving her freedom--- to breath--- by taking off her corset, removing her restraints, giving her exactly what she needed."------Kate

I never thought about that before. But it's true. She even complains later about wearing a corset (as she's fighting alongside the boys). I've tried watching just that clip paying attention to Liz's expressions, but not as much to Jack.
Quick question: it shows the medallion while Liz is underwater. It's still on her neck, but it's out and floating away from her body. Would that be something someone would notice, or would you be too busy rescuring them to pick up on it? I just wondered why Jack had to wait until it was securely on her CHEST before asking about it. I'm sure if I had to dive in for someone, I wouldn't notice it, but then, I won't really know until I have to do it.

Chiki Mina
loool thank u its about a poem i wrote lool. thank u so much.

im still trying to figure out the siggy thing stick out tongue

CaptinJackLover
Originally posted by willofthewisp
"and Im STILL captured by the fact that he saves her by giving her freedom--- to breath--- by taking off her corset, removing her restraints, giving her exactly what she needed."------Kate

I never thought about that before. But it's true. She even complains later about wearing a corset (as she's fighting alongside the boys). I've tried watching just that clip paying attention to Liz's expressions, but not as much to Jack.
Quick question: it shows the medallion while Liz is underwater. It's still on her neck, but it's out and floating away from her body. Would that be something someone would notice, or would you be too busy rescuring them to pick up on it? I just wondered why Jack had to wait until it was securely on her CHEST before asking about it. I'm sure if I had to dive in for someone, I wouldn't notice it, but then, I won't really know until I have to do it.

well even if he did see it underwater he wouldnt be able to ask her....but it didnt seeem like he noticed it...it seemed like he was observing her (checking her out like he odes with women) and then was like woah ok how did you get that?!

willofthewisp
Ah. Question answered.

CaptinJackLover
any more questions i can answer?! lol

Chiki Mina
lol u think jack has experience ripping out corsets with his knife when hes desperate? lol

CaptinJackLover
uhhh yea! it sure looks like it! i mean he knew right away what to do....i hitnk thats what first made me think he was a lady's man!

Chiki Mina
ok not to sound nasty but how do those whores protected themselves not to get pregnant?? in that time

CaptinJackLover
o wow never thought baout that....maybe they used somehting taht was kinda like a condom but not really....idk...

Chiki Mina
ew...lets change subject lool

to be honest im still unclear about the changing winds

evilm0nki3
I think I feel a change in the wind, says I

katelovespirate
hahaha there is an vine still used in lots of parts of the world, that women use to not get preggers, which is like an inter-uteran device. random info. lol.

changing winds... should be the name of Liz's ship when she gets one.

smile i think there is also a huge element of vulnerability in this scene... Jack sees Elizabeth less dressed than anyone has seen her before (AKA he sees who she is, really, more than anyone else) and then Elizabeth sees Jack get the grill by Norri... sees him less legendary than he is used to being seen...

Chiki Mina
oof..im still confused

i know guys im retarded >_<

CaptinJackLover
I think once Jack has seen the people she is around he knows that thats not the life she would wnat, because he has already seen the pirate in her.

He figures tahts not what she wants and thats why he says that line in the end of movie one, " IIt never wouldve worked between us darling" He knows its lthe life she wnated and in away he sort of let everyone know thats exactly what she wnated...

ANd thats why in movie 2 he tried ti get her to come over to his side...and they ened u falling love..

I htoink Jack fell in love on accident. He didnt really wnat to fall in love, he just wanted to help Liz come over to his side, and while doing that he realized he HAD to, because he fell in love with her

Chiki Mina
dammit see u can be positive!! so u better post this in my thread! u have an important appointment in the "therapy thread"lol

CaptinJackLover
ok ill post it in there! hold on one sec!

LovelyOne
this scene also suggests "EVERYONE GET READY!!!!! Jack is about to meet LIZZIE!"

katelovespirate
hahaha... its true...

we have set up Liz and Will as childhood friends, and the interesting circumstances surrounding when they meet. or perhaps that was all just subterfuge so they could introduce the medallion... big grin

and this is like, the scene that really gets the movie started. love interest #2 has proposed, Liz is wearing a beautiful dress, "fate" has brought everyone to just the right spot for Liz to be dramatically thrust into the life of our favorite pirate.

because Liz then must save Jack, this scene foreshadows the fact that though there is no trust built between the two, there is a level of understanding and tension that can only go one place...

LovelyOne
Yeah I agree with you^^ If they left this bloomin scene in we would all know that Will/Liz is not the most important meeting of characters in movie 1 Jack meets Liz would totally overshadow that scene with young Will and Liz in terms of importance.

that wind change scene..basically is what happens in movie 2..Jack changes because of Liz...Liz changes because of Jack and they both become stronger and more free..and Will is not even allowed a look in when these two come together in movie 2...seems as if the Jack/Liz deal was on their minds the WHOLE time and this very scene seems to hint that this little meeting between these two characters is the single most important aspect of the entire story not Will/Liz..Jack/Liz..it physically changes the wind..even the elements get shaken when these two come together. This moment is the pinnacle of what PotC is all about it seems ..and yes they cut it out but then movie 2 is basically using that theme again..because now..Jack's no longer a risk and people liked the idea of Jack/Liz even from that TINY scene that was left in PotC1

I mean come on..Will wasn't even given a look in on that scene..that window shutting kinda suggested.."yeah you change for her but you cant even come close to how Jack Sparrow is going to rock this girl's world and vise versa...so just STAY out of it"

even way back when they made movie 1....and in the original script..you can kinda see how Jack/Liz are meant to be..and Will is kinda in the sidelines a lil bit..but Jack was a risk..and IMO that was the main problem..

willofthewisp
The movie really does come alive when Jack saves Liz. It's also the first hint we get that this guy is different from the other pirates. He has a heart and he's not afraid of showing he does. He didn't know Liz was gorgeous and would rock his world. He just dove in because it was the right thing to do. It was only the icing on the cake that the girl he rescued ended up being Lizzie.

sccch
lol. True.

Chiki Mina
Its showing ppl that jac is a good man. and liz knew that all the time.

i believe in the curiosity scene when liz said ''a good man''i believe she was remembering the time he rescued her.

liz doesnt care if hes a piate or not the important thing hes a good man a good pirate. thats all that matters

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.