Awe's Bittersweet ending! Spoilers?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

sailorleo
the bitter part...jack can't continue pirating b/c of the EITC....(it's essentially the end of piracy)

Jacky Sparrow
yip could be!!

Chiki Mina
no matter what he will always be a pirate by heart.

CaptinJackLover
yepp! i will love him even if he does stop piracy...he will never lose that part of him

willofthewisp
He can go into something else illegal. It's the era of bootlegging!

ivebeendepped43
poor Jack. he better not!

Chiki Mina
he could kidnap me!! he could start being illegal there!!

lovethemtigers
But guys you know what, Jack doesn't seem like your typical pirate...I think he likes to think of himself of a pirate...but he's not a nasty Pirate like Barbossa...Jack likes to think of himself as a man of his word...consider his conversation with Barbossa in the cabin on the Pearl...and the way he tells Will "have I ever given you any reason not to trust me." I've never really witness Jack do anything really, really devious....except maybe stealing the peices of jewelry lying around Tia's hut, or the way he tricks Will onto the Flying Dutchman, but even that....he has a plan...I don't think he intends to leave Will to perish on the Flying Dutchman...and I don't think he actually ever intended to trade the 99 innocent souls for his life...plus, he was nowhere near 99 souls on the Pearl...I think he was trying to buy time in hopes of finding the chest and controlling Davy Jones' heart....but, the problem was the compass wasn't working for him..so finding the heart of Davy Jones was not what he wanted most in this world....

Anyways, back to the bittersweet ending...that is so true Saliorleo...it must be that Piracy is coming to an end, "we are witnessing the end of an era"...so Jack must chose a place in the new world, or perish...

Ah, that is sad and bittersweet....but Jack will always be a "pirate" at heart.

blackpearl44
There's no sweet part to this bittersweet ending theory......

sailorleo
well all you jack liz shippers would obviously have it as....

Chiki Mina
it wont be only the end of pirates but the end of eitc. i dont think no one will win. but who knows maybe it could mean the end of the war between pirates and eitc. hopefully it will end by becketts death. im just trying to make guesses not to sound so negative.

lovethemtigers
Oh yes, It has to be where Jack kills Beckett - either in self defense or to protect someone else he truly cares about.....I think it would be hot to see either Jack or Liz do something - an act of courage that would show how much the other means to them...by like..Jack throwing himself in front of a bullet meant for LIz..or vice versa...but they live...I dont' want any of the main characters dieing...that means Jack, Liz, Will, Norrie, Mr. Gibbs, Pintel, Ragetti, Marty and Mr. Cotton...anyone else could die...and it wouldn't really effect the way I'll feel about the movie...but I would hate to lose any of these characters....well, with the exception of Will..just kidding.

lovethemtigers
Again, so how do we know it's a bittersweet ending? Was their an article or interview where Gore, Terry, Ted or Jerry suggests this? Just curious...I know I've heard it, just don't remember where.

sailorleo
i think so...i remember reading somthing about it on the forum somewhere...

Chiki Mina
i believe this time liz will get to be the one who doges the bullet(if that bullet thing ever happens) bc jack save her many times. and this would e also a turning point in his life. and this is when jacks feelings will be tested again.

willofthewisp
Guys, we can find the answer in history. What happened after the pirate era? Revolutions! Lots of revolutions! The world was a playhouse back in the 1700s, worlds being colonized, rebellions, inventions and new ideas...Jack will find a place to be a pirate and have his adventures. Remember it's freedom he loves, not necessarily being a pirate. And he can always sail since he does love the sea.

CaptinJackLover
thats the spirit!

so true to! The only reason Jack really became a pirate was becasue he wanted to be free and the only way he could make a profit while being free was to be a pirate....If he had any other job he wouldnt be free...he would be stuck under somebody's rule.and thats not what he wanted....so really he isnt a bad person, all he wnated was freedom and thats the only choice he had, maybe thats what Liz thought, and thats why she saw the good man in him, because she didnt think of being apirate as bad. She thought it was for people who wanted freedom!

LovelyOne
exactly, ..look at my quote in my sig..Jack needs to change or he will perish..and WHAT do we see him change for in movie 2? ELIZABETH..

"Jack must find his place in the new world or perish. Not unlike you, Mister Turner. You and
your fiancee face the hangman's noose." - Beckett

Will/Liz being together is a NO NO too!

bittersweet endings for all

Jack may have to give up piracy to some extent (selfish theif) but he'll probably remain a free spirit..but the sweet part is gaining what he wants most in this world. ELIZABETH

Will is going to give up Liz..but the sweet part is gaining the one thing he wanted in his life BEFORE Liz even came into it

Elizabeth will give up Will..but the sweet part is gaining the one thing she wanted before she even met Will a PIRATE..Jack IS what she wants most in this world according to the compass big grin

LovelyOne
I wouldnt be so sure about the reason Jack took up piracy..I dont think it was to be "free"...I think there is something deeper we are going to learn about why he took up a life where he doesnt have to have responsibility for anyone but himself..people only do that when they are AFRAID of taking responsibilty for someone..I think Jack feels he cant be strong enough for her (well he overcame THAT little obstacale lol)..the main issue in movie 2 was about him being afraid to take Liz as an oblgation in his life..

He helped rescue 99 slaves from Beckett. THEN got branded a pirate meaning he gave up working for him and then got fired basically....why all of a sudden has he given up being brave and responsible (saving 99 slaves) to take on a life where he doesnt have to care for people?..

lovethemtigers

LovelyOne
Originally posted by lovethemtigers
This makes so much sense....and yes, jack - the sea and sailing are freedom to him....remember when Beckett tells Will that Jack can work for the EITC...and Will says "I hardly think Jack will consider employment by England the same as freedom" or something to that degree...don't remember the exact wording....

here it is: This conversation between Beckett and Turner is very telling and has meaning between the line clues as to what is going to happen.

WILL TURNER
More acquaintance than friend. How do
you know him?

I find that the most interesting choice of words I have ever heard Will say...the end of movie 1 would have suggested different.

there is really something I dont like about Will..

He's going to become his enemy in movie 3 I think. He is one of Jack's consequences for gaining his "prize" at the end of movie 2

katelovespirate
So do they mean AWE as in "awe Will and Liz are so cute" or AWE as in "stand in awe of the glory and overwhelming magnificence that is Jack and Liz!"

lovethemtigers
Originally posted by katelovespirate
So do they mean AWE as in "awe Will and Liz are so cute" or AWE as in "stand in awe of the glory and overwhelming magnificence that is Jack and Liz!"

I sure hope its in AWE of the glory and overwhelming magnificence that is Jack and Liz!!! I would love that coupling...but is Disney really gonna follow through with it...or go with what they think is safe and acceptable...it concerns me that one of their interviews said that the only way the audience would accept a kiss between Liz and Jack would be in a life or death situation..and I think that is terrible...because I would accept a kiss between jack and liz at any time..because they are drawn to each other...I'm sure after the response to DMC they must know that this isn't true....

LovelyOne
lovethemtigers..they were talking about the very early stages of adding in a kiss between the two..this was before they had decided to add the story etc..The Liz of movie 1 would have only kissed him for that reason..which is true..its the only reason she seduced him a bit n the island..(although i really do think she was interested in him talking about freedom)..the he came on to her and she used it to her advantage

Liz was going to kiss him on the pearl remember had he not pulled away...she looked very disappointed...that wasn't a life or death moment where Will was in danger lol

and the compass was pointing to him telling her that she wants him as a man..not just for sex.but as a man. Look at what he says about being "hungry" in both paragraphs..and it also implies that its not pointing to him because she wants to be a pirate.

"And, as long as I'm breaking silence on the compass, let me just say: there's no transference. If it points to a waffle, it's not pointing to the waffle because you're hungry or because you really want to be Belgian or something; it points to the waffle 'cause what you want most is that waffle.

Of course, if you've been hungry for a while, anticipating the most delicious meal you could ever imagine, and for some reason you couldn't partake of that meal, and then you found yourself in the presence of a very interesting waffle ... well, that doesn't mean that you suddenly think the aforementioned meal would not be delicious. It just means that, right then, that waffle seems pretty tempting.

Does that make you a terrible person?"

what he says there doesn't match in with the "she would only kiss him to save Will's life thing"..meaning that idea of there's was an old one

She didnt have to kiss him to chain him up..she could have used other means like a gun from the deck...she's tempted to taste the man..IMO that "right then the waffle seems tempting" actually means the moment where she decided to kiss him

smile

LOl she almost kissed him again too..meaning she gained something from that kiss emotionally whilst doing it...she even looked as if she wasn't going to stop once she grabbed the chains and put it over his wrist..it was him who stopped..then she clamped it shut

calypso
Did anyone notice how Liz/Will were together and in charge before Liz had to pick up the gun and "Don't miss". CJS came back in his little row boat and when he picked up the gun, Liz clung to his legs. After Will fell to the deck, she did not go to him and when Jack came down to the lower deck after the Kraken withdrew, she was behind Jack and Will was standing at the left side of the ship and she never said a thing to him or acknowledged him by 'hey, you ok'. She was too busy formulating her plan to KISS Jack and get away with it.

IMO that last scene she betrayed Will, Jack, and herself. Thus Jack calling her "Pirate".

Now if she had been developing to be a full blown pirate, why at Tia Dalma's did everyone say "Aye" to find Jack and his precious Pearl except Liz and she said "Yes"...Even Will said "Aye".

Liz went in for that kiss and almost devoured Jack. He never took a real active part in that kiss. It was almost like he had taken a passive role to pull her too him without putting his arms around her. And if he had had his arms around her, she would not have been able to clamp the irons on him. I think his idea was if the kiss was going to happen it would have to be on her terms. Jack never saw it coming because just before she grabbed him, he said "We aren't safe yet, Love".The first clink you hear is after the kiss and she is looking at him telling him that "It's after you Jack, not the ship, not us." She is looking at his lips moving in for a second kiss, but pull back. Clink again and she says "I'm not sorry". the Jack says "Pirate" Ok Jack got the kiss and lost everything else. Liz got the kiss and probably will lose everything else because at some point it will have to come out that she chained him to the mast.

She has surely vexed Jack...

LovelyOne
He said "we're not free yet love" which is more symbolic big grin

she had him vexed right from the beginning according to Ted Elliot big grin

at the end he's not vexed anymore..because he's accepted he wants to be with her

MEn only get vexed (angered) when they feel a woman is causing them trouble..Jack did feel like that at the beginning because he was worried about making her an obligation in his life or not.. until she came bck into his life again...he actually smiled again...she makes him feel complete and safe IMO

and people miss it in that last scene but Jack was smiling..then he looked serious for a second and looked down at her lips(after she was looking at his lips again) and this is what made her almost kiss him again big grin..and he does actually move his lips as if he wants another kiss

mythe
I may change the subject a bit ... but I' ve heard till now almost everyone talk about What will Disney do??? and so on...
But I don' t think you can trust what they say... It seems to me they
only try to "confuse" us.
I mostly listen to the comments of Keira and the other actors ... but not
the producers, ...

Excuse my poor english (I' m from Belgium)...
Like you I am "pro Liz and Jack" and hope they will end up together!

calypso
Well, I can't see it now til it comes out on DVD, but I guess I have been too busy watching her and what she is pulling on Jack to notice he moved his lips again, I just saw his smile and "Pirate".

Thanks for the clue.

PirateDiva
Originally posted by calypso
Did anyone notice how Liz/Will were together and in charge before Liz had to pick up the gun and "Don't miss". CJS came back in his little row boat and when he picked up the gun, Liz clung to his legs. After Will fell to the deck, she did not go to him and when Jack came down to the lower deck after the Kraken withdrew, she was behind Jack and Will was standing at the left side of the ship and she never said a thing to him or acknowledged him by 'hey, you ok'. She was too busy formulating her plan to KISS Jack and get away with it.

IMO that last scene she betrayed Will, Jack, and herself. Thus Jack calling her "Pirate".

Now if she had been developing to be a full blown pirate, why at Tia Dalma's did everyone say "Aye" to find Jack and his precious Pearl except Liz and she said "Yes"...Even Will said "Aye".

Liz went in for that kiss and almost devoured Jack. He never took a real active part in that kiss. It was almost like he had taken a passive role to pull her too him without putting his arms around her. And if he had had his arms around her, she would not have been able to clamp the irons on him. I think his idea was if the kiss was going to happen it would have to be on her terms. Jack never saw it coming because just before she grabbed him, he said "We aren't safe yet, Love".The first clink you hear is after the kiss and she is looking at him telling him that "It's after you Jack, not the ship, not us." She is looking at his lips moving in for a second kiss, but pull back. Clink again and she says "I'm not sorry". the Jack says "Pirate" Ok Jack got the kiss and lost everything else. Liz got the kiss and probably will lose everything else because at some point it will have to come out that she chained him to the mast.

She has surely vexed Jack...

Omg i didnt realize that in the movie about the Will falling to the floor and her never even asking if he was ok! Thats true it's like as soon as Jack came back that was her Priority!!

Chiki Mina
when will said "more of an aquintence than a friend" about jack

that was very interesting, meaning he only uses jack when it comes to something will wants. when he wants something he'll go to javk since he has the pearl and the pearl is the fastest ship of the caribbean

PirateDiva
Thats right he already has something against Jack at the begininng of the movie from there u know Will is up to no good!

willofthewisp
I wasn't surprised when Will said "more of an acquaintance than a friend." Come on, are he and Jack really friends? They're teammates, sure, but are they friends?
Will is anti-pirate even though he's accepted his father was a pirate and a good man. He's also smart enough to know most people think pirates can't be good people. So he's not going to say right there in front of everyone "hey, Jack is my friend." He saved him in the first movie because it was the right thing to do, not because he and Jack are buddy-buddy.
Jack never misses an opportunity to knock Will down a peg. Although he seems to care about him enough to not sell him out to other pirates, I think he looks at Will more like a little brother than a friend. Someone to protect, but not really confide in. Notice how he confides in Liz, but never to Will. They aren't friends and it doesn't make a person bad to say that.

PirateDiva
Originally posted by willofthewisp
I wasn't surprised when Will said "more of an acquaintance than a friend." Come on, are he and Jack really friends? They're teammates, sure, but are they friends?
Will is anti-pirate even though he's accepted his father was a pirate and a good man. He's also smart enough to know most people think pirates can't be good people. So he's not going to say right there in front of everyone "hey, Jack is my friend." He saved him in the first movie because it was the right thing to do, not because he and Jack are buddy-buddy.
Jack never misses an opportunity to knock Will down a peg. Although he seems to care about him enough to not sell him out to other pirates, I think he looks at Will more like a little brother than a friend. Someone to protect, but not really confide in. Notice how he confides in Liz, but never to Will. They aren't friends and it doesn't make a person bad to say that.

i agree....good point!!

lovethemtigers
Yes, we have said that many times.. Why..if she is so in love with Will...why doesn't she run down to him when he falls and see if he's okay instead of clinging to Jack's leg..that is so significant...I find it to be a very intimate moment. You don't just cling to anybody's leg like that.

And it is a curious thing...Jack doesn't embrace her or anthing...but he does tilt his head and kiss her back..that's obvious...the smile is hypnotic...don't ya think...sexy....even facing death the man is incredibly sexy...

calypso
Anybody thought that maybe Jack is a nephew of Bootstrap Bill...I get to this point, because BB sent the medallion to Will in England so all of Barbosa's crew would be forever cursed because of what they did to Jack. Jack was already in the Caribbean being a pirate but instantly recognizes Will as someone he knows when they meet for the first time. And we know that BB was with Jack before Jack sailed into Torguga looking for a crew to sail to the Isle deMuerta and wound up with Barbosa and the rest of his scallywags.

Is it possible that Jack does not tell Will anything because he is trying to protect the last of his family. Hence, "Have I ever done anything for you to mistrust me" and all the other times he has tried to protect Will, like telling the Pelogostos that Will is "Eunichy, snip, snip". Even though Jack tells Will "Save me".

calypso
Lovethemtigers everything about CAPTAIN Jack Sparrow is hypnotic, sexy, and just plain breathtaking.

When Jack picks up the gun and Liz clings to his leg(s) she almost has her head in his crotch. Now, that is significant and intimate.

If she was so all fired up to save Will and shoot the barrels, why does she not acknowledge Will or check to see if he is ok. I just find that scene real interesting how it unfolded. Because before Jack came back she was screaming Will's name and chasing the gun.

lovethemtigers
yes, maybe you are right...all the more reason to Love Jack...he is so mysterious...

calypso
Since this thread is to be the bittersweet ending of AWE, try this one on.

EITC overtakes the Pearl with Jack, Liz and Will on board. Jack is being transported onto the EITC ship to be sent back to England to stand trial by orders of the King.

Up from the depths comes the Flying Dutchman with Bootstrap at the helm. Will makes a choice to go with his father to become the waffle maker on the Flying Dutchman and bids Liz adios.

Liz takes a ship back to England to her Uncle's home and has a mar-ri-age arranged for her. On her wedding day having been resigned to marry a man she has never met and does not know, she is telling one of her attendants about her time in the Caribbean and "yes it was scary" and how she lost her true love. Knock on the door and someone opens it thinking it is the flower girl and there stands Jack in his ICE CREAM suit, powdered wig and white hose and all his glorious splender.
Liz looks up and realizes who this person is and says "It's bad luck for the groom to see the bride on her wedding day".
Jack says with that sexy smirk on his face "Darlin, if I hadn't had bad luck, I wouldn't have had any luck at tal. Everyone is waiting and I came to get you so we could meet this horizon together."

calypso
Now that could be a real twist that Disney was talking about.

PirateDiva
Gotta admitt that would be pretty HoTT!! except for the wig no wig the rest...would be awsome!!

willofthewisp
Hee hee, Jack all dolled up. Seriously, can you see him in anything other than his pirate garb? I can't even imagine what he looks like without his bandana. Just how long is his hair? I hope they go back into his past so we can see him in his EITC uniform and all that fun stuff.
Great ending, Kate, but this is a another twist, too.

Jack is captured by the EITC and is put on their ship, but he escapes out of a back hatch that only Will and Liz see him do. They look at each other and give sad smiles, realizing they're not how they used to be.
It's a few weeks later and we see Liz looking herself over in a mirror, just her face. There are some flute players outside and we think she's getting ready for her second wedding day, but when she comes out, she's come out of the Pearl's cabin in her pirate garb and starts giving orders.
Gibbs: We'll find him, Ms. Elizabeth. He gave us this.
(he shows her a drawing of the dog)
Liz: Mr. Gibbs (opens the compass), take us in that direction
(she goes up to the helm by herself and starts humming a familiar tune, grinning stupidly. She's about to pick up Jack and live with him on the Pearl)
Liz: ....and really bad eggs. Drink up me hearties yo ho!

PirateDiva
I Like iT!!!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.