Compass points North?!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

CaptinJackLover
This question might make me seem stupid, but here it goes...

In movie 1 when Norrington gets the compass he says it doenst point north. How does he know that when he doenst have a compass that does point north to tell him where north is?

i know really dumb question, but plz explain

sccch
He must know which way North is. And knows that the way the compass was pionting WASN'T North.

CaptinJackLover
ok that could be possible but do nt you htink he would think JHack would know whihc way North is because he has lived on the sea A LONG TIME! and so a compass that points north wouldnt really matter cuz he knows where it is.

does that make sense?

mmoviejunkie
yeah but norrington doesn't even know jack so he's just stating what he sees

sccch
He might of just wanted Jack to look bad in front of everyone. Showing that the great Jack Sparrow wasn't really great.

CaptinJackLover
or maybe he knew about the compass! and thats why he soooo badly wanted to capture Jack! he couldve planned it with Beckett for all of this to happen! i mean how else would Bekett know about the compass! they were in it together all along!!! ahhh! those evil bastartds! lol jk i dont think that actually ahppened

Jacky Sparrow
but beckett wants to arrest norrri so it makes no sense that they work together. i think norri is just proud that he has captured a legend. at the ship, when lizzie is young, he says that he wants to free her of all the pirates. or even in a deleted scene, governor says to liz, she should hide the medallion in front of norri.

willofthewisp
Most people, especially people in the navy who have had extensive navigation training, can find north without a compass.

sailorleo
yeah it's not that hard....

willofthewisp
Speak for yourself. I can only find north if I see where the sun is. Lol. But for Norrington, it's easy.

mmoviejunkie
Originally posted by Jacky Sparrow
but beckett wants to arrest norrri so it makes no sense that they work together. i think norri is just proud that he has captured a legend. at the ship, when lizzie is young, he says that he wants to free her of all the pirates. or even in a deleted scene, governor says to liz, she should hide the medallion in front of norri.

what deleted scene are you talking about?

Bwa Ha Ha
Yeah, which?

Imperial Logic
Perhaps Beckett only had Elizabeth and Will think he wanted Norrington so they wouldn't suspect any ties.

The logic of the assumption is justifiable, accept an the end of II, wouldn't there have been a hint of recognition when he walked in with the thump-thump?

Maybe Beckett, couldn't recognize the Commodore without his Ice-cream Uniform and powdered wig.

katelovespirate
I dont want the commodore to get non-scruffy again. he's way better rum soaked. lol

Chiki Mina
true lol

CaptinJackLover
Originally posted by Jacky Sparrow

actually he never did arrest Norri...he mightve just said that he was going tro arrest Norri cuz they probably wouldve been like oh you arrest US for helping Jack but not Norrington?!

texgodiva2s
Y'all, seriously scary--all traditionally working compasses--ie. not Disney ones--point to magnetic north (as opposed to true north). You have your compass, you're standing at your front door looking out. You look at your compass and the arrow point is pointing at your right shoulder(example!). We now know north is yes, over your right shoulder opposite direction, south to your left east to your right west.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.