Big Brother is shouting at you

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Deano
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=405477&in_page_id=1770

Big Brother is not only watching you - now he's barking orders too. Britain's first 'talking' CCTV cameras have arrived, publicly berating bad behaviour and shaming offenders into acting more responsibly.

The system allows control room operators who spot any anti-social acts - from dropping litter to late-night brawls - to send out a verbal warning: 'We are watching you'.

Middlesbrough has fitted loudspeakers on seven of its 158 cameras in an experiment already being hailed as a success. Jack Bonner, who manages the system, said: 'It is one hell of a deterrent. It's one thing to know that there are CCTV cameras about, but it's quite another when they loudly point out what you have just done wrong.

'Most people are so ashamed and embarrassed at being caught they quickly slink off without further trouble.

'There was one incident when two men started fighting outside a nightclub. One of the control room operators warned them over the loudspeakers and they looked up, startled, stopped fighting and scarpered in opposite directions.

'This isn't about keeping tabs on people, it's about making the streets safer for the law-abiding majority and helping to change the attitudes of those who cause trouble. It challenges unacceptable behaviour and makes people think twice.'

The Mail on Sunday watched as a cyclist riding through a pedestrian area was ordered to stop.

'Would the young man on the bike please get off and walk as he is riding in a pedestrian area,' came the command.

The surprised youth stopped, and looked about. A look of horror spread across his face as he realised the voice was referring to him.

He dismounted and wheeled his bike through the crowded streets, as instructed.

Law-abiding shopper Karen Margery, 40, was shocked to hear the speakers spring into action as she walked past them.

Afterwards she said: 'It's quite scary to realise that your every move could be monitored - it really is like Big Brother.

'But Middlesbrough does have a big problem with anti-social behaviour, so it is very reassuring.'

The scheme has been introduced by Middlesbrough mayor Ray Mallon, a former police superintendent who was dubbed Robocop for pioneering the zero-tolerance approach to crime.

He believes the talking cameras will dramatically cut not just anti-social behaviour, but violent crime, too.

bollocks

Ushgarak
Cool!

ADarksideJedi
Originally posted by Deano
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=405477&in_page_id=1770

Big Brother is not only watching you - now he's barking orders too. Britain's first 'talking' CCTV cameras have arrived, publicly berating bad behaviour and shaming offenders into acting more responsibly.

The system allows control room operators who spot any anti-social acts - from dropping litter to late-night brawls - to send out a verbal warning: 'We are watching you'.

Middlesbrough has fitted loudspeakers on seven of its 158 cameras in an experiment already being hailed as a success. Jack Bonner, who manages the system, said: 'It is one hell of a deterrent. It's one thing to know that there are CCTV cameras about, but it's quite another when they loudly point out what you have just done wrong.

'Most people are so ashamed and embarrassed at being caught they quickly slink off without further trouble.

'There was one incident when two men started fighting outside a nightclub. One of the control room operators warned them over the loudspeakers and they looked up, startled, stopped fighting and scarpered in opposite directions.

'This isn't about keeping tabs on people, it's about making the streets safer for the law-abiding majority and helping to change the attitudes of those who cause trouble. It challenges unacceptable behaviour and makes people think twice.'

The Mail on Sunday watched as a cyclist riding through a pedestrian area was ordered to stop.

'Would the young man on the bike please get off and walk as he is riding in a pedestrian area,' came the command.

The surprised youth stopped, and looked about. A look of horror spread across his face as he realised the voice was referring to him.

Law-abiding shopper Karen Margery, 40, was shocked to hear the speakers spring into action as she walked past them.

Afterwards she said: 'It's quite scary to realise that your every move could be monitored - it really is like Big Brother.

'But Middlesbrough does have a big problem with anti-social behaviour, so it is very reassuring.'

The scheme has been introduced by Middlesbrough mayor Ray Mallon, a former police superintendent who was dubbed Robocop for pioneering the zero-tolerance approach to crime.

He believes the talking cameras will dramatically cut not just anti-social behaviour, but violent crime, too.

Not sure if I know what you are talking about.But I guess it is cool.jm rolling on floor laughing

bollocks

Deano
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Cool!

fascism always is cool

ADarksideJedi
fascism always is cool Hey Deano still own that bar?Or is shut down because of spoonly?jm laughing

Soleran
To much "protection" takes away alot of freedoms, no thanks

Ushgarak
And why is it facism, Deano?

WrathfulDwarf
1984 is indeed a great fictional novel. Stop comparing it to real life. It's work of fiction.

ADarksideJedi
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
1984 is indeed a great fictional novel. Stop comparing it to real life. It's work of fiction.

It is a great book!I agree!But I do think it could happen.In someways it is happening to america right now.j,m smile

§P0oONY
It's awesome... They say "thank you" if you do what it says.

Deano
oh well thats ok then

Lady Fianna
lol That's hilarious...it sounds like something from The Simpsons.

meep-meep
And why is it facism, Deano?

I was wondering the same thing.

The bike riding incident was sort of ridiculous but how this new technology helped to prevent a violent crime is really quite remarkable.

Soleran
This is the suck, really.

jaden101
a nice idea that they ripped off from macintyre's big sting...idiotic more than fascist in my opinion

around my city centre if a cctv pole started shouting at you...the cctv pole would eventually be vandalised beyond repair

KidRock
Yeah..the government trying to protect its people..****IN FACISTS! miffed

jaden101
Originally posted by KidRock

http://www.banksy.co.uk/outdoors/05.html

Deano

yeh cos da terrorists will get us innit. ohhhhh. omgz we need protection.

the government count on idiots like you kidrock

GCG
They should be used responsably.

I wonder what would happen if some of KMC members were at the microphone. ....hmmmm...............

Quiero Mota

bollocks

Big Brother ain't telling me shit, homes!

Lyna303
yea it does remind me of 1984....you know that book was a warning...

Soleran
Originally posted by Lyna303
yea it does remind me of 1984....you know that book was a warning...

True Enough

Deano
it will get much worse if people keep allowing themselves to get manipulated. i mean they are even putting chips in our dustbins for godsake. where will it end

smoker4
I always forget about the old mobile, the little bugger is giving way my position by what cell site im using.

KidRock
yeh cos da terrorists will get us innit. ohhhhh. omgz we need protection.

the government count on idiots like you kidrock

Yessss another sarcastic remark followed by a personal insult from Deano!

Back to your box now deano..playtime is over.

Quiero Mota

eek! Ijole!

Deano

sure. let me know when you want to play again

Quiero Mota
sure. let me know when you want to play again

What the f**k?......

Deano
whats your purpose here?

jaden101
whats your purpose here?

now you're getting into the spirit of things....thats a perfect line to shout over the cctv speakers

Deano
i'll tell u somethin.. if one of those speakers even looks at me the wrong way(its not possible but..) i'll be back with a guy fawkes mask and an axe. i promise

KidRock
i'll tell u somethin.. if one of those speakers even looks at me the wrong way(its not possible but..) i'll be back with a guy fawkes mask and an axe. i promise

I think the big question here is Deano...

Will the lizard men be watching you on the other end of those TV's?

Fire
it's a brilliant idea everyone who screams that this is fascist or anything looks like someone who has something to hide imo.

Deano
i have nothin to hide. doesnt mean i want you to come and look through my windows

Deano
I think the big question here is Deano...

Will the lizard men be watching you on the other end of those TV's?

its possible

Ushgarak
i have nothin to hide. doesnt mean i want you to come and look through my windows

Of course, that isn't actually being suggested, is it?

As ever, you are inlfating fears to try and make a point that does not exist, even advocating vandalism as a justified action against measures that will reduce crime without affecting anyone's freedom one inch.

Classy.

Deano
Of course, that isn't actually being suggested, is it?

give it time

As ever, you are inlfating fears to try and make a point that does not exist, even advocating vandalism as a justified action against measures that will reduce crime without affecting anyone's freedom one inch.

Classy.

a FEW cameras never hurt. but when one is barking orders at you..well that takes it too far

Ushgarak
Why is that then?

The silly thing is, no-one complains about policemen roaming the streets and seeing what you are doing, and yelling at you to stop if you do wrong. In fact, people want a lot MORE of that. Why is a camera any different? They are simply contributions to public safety.

All these lazy Big Brother comments devalue what Orwell was parodying. Big Brother is not about cameras in the street. Big Borther is a concept, an idea about how people might have their ideas thought for thrm, and I know you try and make plenty of exposure in that area, Deano, but this certainly is not it.

People see cameras in the street and say 'Big Brother' but that is bilge. Big Brother had only one connection with cameras, and that is that the cameras were in people's houses. When THAT is suggested, then people can cry out in Orwell's name. Not before.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
All these lazy Big Brother comments devalue what Orwell was parodying. Big Brother is not about cameras in the street. Big Borther is a concept, an idea about how people might have their ideas thought for thrm, and I know you try and make plenty of exposure in that area, Deano, but this certainly is not it.

Oh, dear. You obviously have a very poor understanding of Orwell if you think he wouldn't feel these current measures were pertinent to the society he was depicting in '1984'. These new measures are a precise example of another step along the road to the future he envisioned.

People see cameras in the street and say 'Big Brother' but that is bilge. Big Brother had only one connection with cameras, and that is that the cameras were in people's houses. When THAT is suggested, then people can cry out in Orwell's name. Not before.

The process is gradual, and when the measures are not met with resistance then they will continue. This much should be obvious. Seriously, how can you not see this?

Deano
It was not idle speculation which fueled orwells writing, but solid information obtained from inside sources. predicting the future is EASY when you know the agenda

totalitarian tiptoe. slowly turning the planet into a prison.

there may not be cameras in peoples homes yet. but who needs them when the governents are phone tapping, which they did do. plus there is a device in a blimp which can see through solid walls and give the computer a 3d image of whats in that persons house.

and microchipping is next. oh yes.

Ushgarak
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
Oh, dear. You obviously have a very poor understanding of Orwell if you think he wouldn't feel these current measures were pertinent to the society he was depicting in '1984'. These new measures are a precise example of another step along the road to the future he envisioned.

The process is gradual, and when the measures are not met with resistance then they will continue. This much should be obvious. Seriously, how can you not see this?

Because to see cameras on the High Street as a step to total thought control is ludicrous. by that logic, we should not have a police force in case it leads to total state power.

And I am certain Orwell wouldn't have thought that. Orwell didn't know ANY specific agenda, Deano, he just got peeved by the Communist intervention in Spain.

These cameras are not an excuse for anything at all, Deano. They are precisely what they make themselves out to be- a method of catching criminals. Your private rights are not in jeopardy by being observed in public places. Being so observed happens every time you go out, as been true in all of history, cameras or not.

WrathfulDwarf
Why is that then?

The silly thing is, no-one complains about policemen roaming the streets and seeing what you are doing, and yelling at you to stop if you do wrong. In fact, people want a lot MORE of that. Why is a camera any different? They are simply contributions to public safety.

That is why I insist people should not use fictional books and predict or determine the future Ush. It's a literature misconception. Both Orwell and Marx are the victims of these people.

Soleran
When are people going to realize information is power. By being able to record information such as this essentially you are now allowing a group to establish more of right and wrong behavior and empowering them to enforce this.

It's sickening really to understand the more "protection" put in place the less freedom you truley have.

debbiejo
Quite true.....That's the problelm people don't understand.

debbiejo
edit..............hmmm how did a double post happen......

Ushgarak
Originally posted by Soleran
When are people going to realize information is power. By being able to record information such as this essentially you are now allowing a group to establish more of right and wrong behavior and empowering them to enforce this.

It's sickening really to understand the more "protection" put in place the less freedom you truley have.

You can live in a totally free society any time you like- go to a deserted island somewhere and see how you do.

Freedom and the enforcement of rules are things that have to be balanced in society. To claim that rules enforcment is innately wrong is poor. Like I say- the existence of the Police Force restricts your freedoms. But this i a good thing.

debbiejo
UN brainwashed people think this way of course. wink

Ushgarak
I bet we don't hear you crying out about restricted freedoms when someone assaults you in the street and gets clean away with it. No, I bet you wish there was more enforcment when that happens.

debbiejo
No, I cry out in our judicial system that slowly over rides our freedoms. Along with lobby groups that change legislations that people have voted for.

Ushgarak
That's nonsense. You be pissed that no-one caught the person.

debbiejo
I don't mind the camera btw, we have them here in most places. Though I feel people should have the rights to carry guns to protect themselves...........thieves think twice then.....

Soleran
You can live in a totally free society any time you like- go to a deserted island somewhere and see how you do.

Freedom and the enforcement of rules are things that have to be balanced in society. To claim that rules enforcment is innately wrong is poor. Like I say- the existence of the Police Force restricts your freedoms. But this i a good thing.

I would do pretty damn well on an island given a few hotties as well.

No where in my response did I say enoforcement of rules is wrong. What I said was you are giving away and slowly eroding more and more of your personal freedoms for your perceived protection.

Honestly it's past a point of protection and now infringing on personal freedoms. Hey you don't think so don't worry I'm sure there will be more protection to come, not that you were probably losing any sleep over being jacked in the street anyway.

Deano
agreed.

cameras wont stop people getting mugged. fact,

Quiero Mota

I see where you're coming from. It's kind of like a protection racket (extortion), que no?

KidRock
agreed.

cameras wont stop people getting mugged. fact,

Idk what you mean by that. Someone gets mugged and its on camera then the guys face is on cam and the mugger automatically has cops looking for him.

If the mugger wears a mask, then you run away when u see a guy with a mask on walking towards you. Or you dont..and in that case you deserve to be mugged.

It wont stop muggings, but it will definietly slow it down a lot.

debbiejo
Why can't I PUT MY CAMERAS WHERE I WANT!!........and recording devices............and as Solaran said, PEOPLE THINK THEY ARE GETTING MORE SAFE AND SECURE, BUT IN REALITY YOU ARE BEING MORE AND MORE CONTROLLED..............Yeah! BIG BROTHER.

Believe it or not, things are put in place under "we will make things better", but in reality it is the we NOW WILL KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU................Cameras are shit. All criminals know how to get around them just as they do for getting illegal guns to commit crimes that will not be linked to them..............Govs. know this..........They're not stupid ya know.

Deano
Idk what you mean by that. Someone gets mugged and its on camera then the guys face is on cam and the mugger automatically has cops looking for him.

If the mugger wears a mask, then you run away when u see a guy with a mask on walking towards you. Or you dont..and in that case you deserve to be mugged.

if someone wants to mug someone, they will. they will wear a cap, or a hoodie which makes it difficult for the cameras to spot them.

Quiero Mota
if someone wants to mug someone, they will. they will wear a cap, or a hoodie which makes it difficult for the cameras to spot them.

Yes, which is why Kid said:

Deano
im saying it wont slow it down

Quiero Mota
Even when bank-robbers where a cap and a pair of shades, the camera is still helpful. The police and forensics teams can go by facial strauctures such as their nose, cheek bones etc. They can still nab the perp based on that.

Deano
thats a bank tho.

i doubt they will go to all that trouble for someone who has had there wallet stolen.

Soleran
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
I see where you're coming from. It's kind of like a protection racket (extortion), que no?

yup

Quiero Mota
thats a bank tho.

i doubt they will go to all that trouble for someone who has had there wallet stolen.

Yeah I have to agree with you there, homes.

You get your wallet swiped, and then fill out a police report, and then wait for the justice that will never happen....

Deano
therefore installing more cameras wont solve the problem.

Quiero Mota
Survaillence cameras are more of a deterrent than anything. They will deter some perps, but not all. So if you subscribe to the belief "some is better than none" then there you go.

Soleran
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
Survaillence cameras are more of a deterrent than anything. They will deter some perps, but not all. So if you subscribe to the belief "some is better than none" then there you go.

That's the irony of survaillence camera's. If they are deter perps then who are they really watching?

And more importantly where does the tape data go to or how is it used later?

KidRock

Did you read the rest of my post?

The cameras will force the muggers to wear hoodies/hats..and who would keep talking next to someone or not start running away if they see a suspicious looking guy with a hoodie and hat on walking towards them?

And the cameras will help cause most criminals are idiots and wont wear a hoodie/hat. They will end up getting caught and wont be able to mug people while in jail, there by reducing the amount of muggings.

And more importantly where does the tape data go to or how is it used later?

The police precinct in that area?

debbiejo
Im being ignored

Soleran
The police precinct in that area?

Why? If there isn't a mugging or murder why does anyone need the information gathered on that tape day to day?

There are already video tapes out it's already happened in the USA as well, I just question the true viability of the tapes and cameras.

KidRock
Why? If there isn't a mugging or murder why does anyone need the information gathered on that tape day to day?

There are already video tapes out it's already happened in the USA as well, I just question the true viability of the tapes and cameras.

lol..are you serious?

The tapes will be reviewed and looked at in the case of a mugging. Since muggings occur all the time and at all hours of the day the cameras will run all the time, then when someone is mugged the tape can be reviewed. It isnt rocket science.

Soleran
lol..are you serious?

The tapes will be reviewed and looked at in the case of a mugging. Since muggings occur all the time and at all hours of the day the cameras will run all the time, then when someone is mugged the tape can be reviewed. It isnt rocket science.

Seriously its hard to get out of the black and white with you. Yeah amazing you found a purpose for the tapes and since muggings occur daily and sometimes on multiple occasions those cameras will be put to great use. More importantly this isn't jsut about cameras this is about cameras that tell you how naughty you are if you ride a bike around pedestrians as an example in the opening discussion.

And how about the tapes that don't have any muggings or criminal activity on them where do they go and if we store them why are we storing them if they contain no evidence?

KidRock

And how about the tapes that don't have any muggings or criminal activity on them where do they go and if we store them why are we storing them if they contain no evidence?

A crime may occur down the line and one of the tapes may have evidence of that crime. Take it out of storage and watch the tape.

The cameras can help solve crimes and catch murders/rapists. But I guess being watched as you walk down the street is so bad that we need to let these people run free so we can walk down back alleys without being watched.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Because to see cameras on the High Street as a step to total thought control is ludicrous. by that logic, we should not have a police force in case it leads to total state power.

Are you really only considering Orwell in that extreme sense? That certainly isn't the intention of a dystopian satire.

These cameras are not an excuse for anything at all, Deano. They are precisely what they make themselves out to be- a method of catching criminals. Your private rights are not in jeopardy by being observed in public places. Being so observed happens every time you go out, as been true in all of history, cameras or not.

First-hand viewing is very different from recorded evidence. I find it so strange when people start saying that only the people who have something to hide are against CCTV; if people know they are being watched, then they behave differently, regardless of whether they are doing something 'wrong' or not. A knowledge of Labov's Observer's Paradox would let you know this.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
That is why I insist people should not use fictional books and predict or determine the future Ush. It's a literature misconception. Both Orwell and Marx are the victims of these people.

How utterly ridiculous. Literature can both mirror life, and offer a projection of it.

FeceMan
You are an idiot for watching me!

That's what Big Brother shouted to me.

Deano
we shall defeat the tyranny.

freedom forever!

KharmaDog

freedom forever!

The paranoid shall always be subjugated by the tyrannical.

WrathfulDwarf
How utterly ridiculous. Literature can both mirror life, and offer a projection of it.

Certain literature might depict aspects of life and history. Such books like Grapes of Wrath or The Jungle do bring out those mirror reflections. However, books like A brave new world and 1984 a more about predicting an uncertain future. Thus, it belongs in the realm of sci-fi. If we were to say that sci-fi projects such mirror life. Then by all means we have to wait 10,000 years for the Kwisatz Haderach to arrive in Arrakis and finally governs the spice trade.

debbiejo
People can get around cameras.......though licence plates can be recored, but still you have to prove something beyond a reasonable doubt..... Me?.......I hate being spied on.

KidRock

freedom forever!

Not much point in having Freedom if your getting mugged everyware and being killed.

Soleran
Not much point in having Freedom if your getting mugged everyware and being killed.

Cuz I mean before camera's were around it was already rampant crazy, not so much.

Jules Verne anyone?

Ya Krunk'd Floo

Deano

if we want freedom then we must stop electing the corrupt few who would happily kill as many as possible to get there fascist system in place.
because the human race gives its mind away everyday, its easy for the few to control and manipulate the many. but i have hope as many people are know waking up to the lies produced by the people in power. 9/11 as an example.

Soleran
if we want freedom then we must stop electing the corrupt few who would happily kill as many as possible to get there fascist system in place.
because the human race gives its mind away everyday, its easy for the few to control and manipulate the many. but i have hope as many people are know waking up to the lies produced by the people in power. 9/11 as an example.

Seriously you ruin some good conversation by getting to carried away, you do, seriously.

You have a good point, now stop the fascist piece for two minutes so someone might actually enjoy reading what you have to say.

Deano

Deano
Seriously you ruin some good conversation by getting to carried away, you do, seriously.

You have a good point, now stop the fascist piece for two minutes so someone might actually enjoy reading what you have to say.

its not getting carried away is it tho? we cant keep turning away for this can we

KharmaDog

What does it matter who we elect as they are not in power or have the power to decide anyting anyways.. isn't that what you've been telling people for years?

Aren't the illuminati/jesuits/lizard people in charge?

For christ's sake could a mod please ban Deano for all his conspiracey ramblings that belong in another forum alltogether.

For a few months this forum was free of this sh*t and now it's back.

Captain REX
This thread makes me laugh.

It should be in the conspiracy forum, with all his other random, pointless, idiotic gumf.

Soleran
Originally posted by Captain REX
This thread makes me laugh.

It should be in the conspiracy forum, with all his other random, pointless, idiotic gumf.

nope wrong

Captain REX
z0mg rly?

Tell me why I am wrong.

Mr. Sandman
Cameras are one thing, but when a loudspeaker yells at you, that's just stupid.

If I was that bike rider, I'd have kept riding through all the people. **** 'em.

Lana
I don't get the big deal about a camera in a public place. If it's out on a street corner or something...you're in public. Everyone around you can see what you're doing as well, so really I don't understand the fuss.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
z0mg rly?

Tell me why I am wrong.

Because - apart from Deano's occasional meanderings - we are all discussing the implications of extended surveillance of members of the public.

FeceMan
Originally posted by KharmaDog
What does it matter who we elect as they are not in power or have the power to decide anyting anyways.. isn't that what you've been telling people for years?

Aren't the illuminati/jesuits/lizard people in charge?

For christ's sake could a mod please ban Deano for all his conspiracey ramblings that belong in another forum alltogether.

For a few months this forum was free of this sh*t and now it's back.
Wait...did he really say lizard people were in charge?

Captain REX
He's mocking Deano's conspiracies.

And alrighty, Krunk. It seemed to me that the thread had dived into conspiracy theorizing...AGAIN...but if its still on topic, nevermind.

Anyways.

My ruling on this is, if you have nothing to hide, who cares? Deano can't go out and shoot someone on the streets now, o noes. The cameras aren't in your bedroom, and you know that the cameras there. I don't see the problem.

Just like having your baggage checked in the airport. Don't put stupid shit in your case then complain about being checked.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
My ruling on this is, if you have nothing to hide, who cares? Deano can't go out and shoot someone on the streets now, o noes. The cameras aren't in your bedroom, and you know that the cameras there. I don't see the problem.

Just like having your baggage checked in the airport. Don't put stupid shit in your case then complain about being checked.

The problem with the whole 'if you having nothing to hide, then who cares' train of thought is that if that's the case then why should you be watched in the first place?

Also, without going over-board, measures like this do have a tendency of becoming more intrusive as they are gradually accepted.

Soleran
What's more amazing isn't Deano's insights (as they were) many people have been aware of this for some time now. If I weren't so greedy I would prefer to live on an island with a fishing pole and shrimp net (easy life I am contemplating)

However something is staring us in the eyes we need to grab it both deano and krunk illustrate this better than I do, none the less it is upon us.

Kinneary
I have to agree that while this measure isn't entirely unreasonable (hey, if you have nothing to hide, then why be worried?), but it opens up the path for a lot more intrusion. If you can be videotaped while out in public, then why not recorded as well? After all, anyone walking by you on the street can hear what you say so why not record it as well? And it just keeps going on and on.

Cut it at the source. One intrusion leads to another lead to another.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by Kinneary
I have to agree that while this measure isn't entirely unreasonable (hey, if you have nothing to hide, then why be worried?), but it opens up the path for a lot more intrusion. If you can be videotaped while out in public, then why not recorded as well? After all, anyone walking by you on the street can hear what you say so why not record it as well? And it just keeps going on and on.

Cut it at the source. One intrusion leads to another lead to another.

How strange. At first you say that it "isn't entirely unreasonable", and ponder the old fallacy of 'if you having nothing to hide, then why be worried?', then you detail exactly what is wrong with the intrusion! Perhaps, you could be a little more coherent?

Kinneary
Let me clarify. While on the surface it might not seem so bad, it starts a chain that snowballs. One small intrusion leads to another small one, and 20 or 40 years in the future we've ended up with a society that we would never accept today.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Let me clarify. While on the surface it might not seem so bad, it starts a chain that snowballs. One small intrusion leads to another small one, and 20 or 40 years in the future we've ended up with a society that we would never accept today.

So, basically anyone with a functioning brain would think it is a bad idea. However, the idiots of this world would be unable to fully grasp its future machinations.

Agreed. Which is why we must help those less fortunate than ourselves.

Kinneary
Maybe no one wants to listen to that reason because you're telling them they're idiots if they don't?

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Maybe no one wants to listen to that reason because you're telling them they're idiots if they don't?

But I'm also offering them help...

Captain REX
The problem with the whole 'if you having nothing to hide, then who cares' train of thought is that if that's the case then why should you be watched in the first place?

Also, without going over-board, measures like this do have a tendency of becoming more intrusive as they are gradually accepted.

True, that does tend to happen.

Anyways, that comment is more directed at people who really have nothing to hide. That's not saying that there aren't people who do need to be watched and prevented from criminal activities.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.