The Gen X Thread

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

RZA
So I decided to start a Generation X thread for all us Xers here. I know that judging from my poll, they're aren't many of us here but perhaps we can still make it quite productive and fun.

This will be like our very own little time capsule and perhaps somewhat of a sanctuary from the rest of KMC when need be. Here we can discuss everything that relates specifically to us Xers, past, present and future.

We can discuss such topics as music, culture, movies, politics, TV fashion and trends or anything else that you feel is cool to discuss.

You can talk about how the 'Shining' or 'Poltergiest' totally freaked you out or how you wanted to pledge being a 'Goonie for life'.

How many Molly Ringwald movies did you end up watching? Forced or by choice?

What was your highest score on Space Invaders or Ms. Pacman?

Did you actually own a Teddy Ruxpin or a Cabbage Patch doll, how about a Garbage pail kid?

What type of Underoos did you wear? Mine were He-Man big grin

What exactly did you want from your MTV?
Tiffany or Debbie? Alyssa Milano or Nicole Eggert?drool

Which of the Corey brothers did you think was less of a tool, Haim or Feldman?

Who did you think was cooler Michael J. Fox or Kirk Cameron?

Wasn't Kit the coolest talking car ever?

Which was your favorite catch phrase, 'What you talkin 'bout Willis' or 'I pity the fool!'

Remember how cool they did those special effects in Tron. How about the original Star Wars movies and does the phrase 'I'll be back' still crack you up a bit?

What planet was Alf from again? And why was Smurfette the only female smurf?

What was 'Reaganomics' about anyway and did you actually understand it? How did you feel growing up during the Cold War? And what the hell was that thing on Gorbachev's head anyway?

What is everyone up to these days? How many got married? And how many are raising little smurfs of their own? And how many of us still have our hair?

Well, you get the idea...have fun.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by RZA
So I decided to start a Generation X thread for all us Xers here. I know that judging from my poll, they're aren't many of us here but perhaps we can still make it quite productive and fun.

This will be like our very own little time capsule and perhaps somewhat of a sanctuary from the rest of KMC when need be. Here we can discuss everything that relates specifically to us Xers, past, present and future.

We can discuss such topics as music, culture, movies, politics, TV fashion and trends or anything else that you feel is cool to discuss.

You can talk about how the 'Shining' or 'Poltergiest' totally freaked you out or how you wanted to pledge being a 'Goonie for life'.

Did you actually own a Teddy Ruxpin or a Cabbage Patch doll, how about a Garbage pail kid?

Which was your favorite catch phrase, 'What you talkin 'bout Willis' or 'I pity the fool!'

Remember how cool they did those special effects in Tron. How about the original Star Wars movies and does the phrase 'I'll be back' still crack you up a bit?

What was 'Reaganomics' about anyway and did you actually understand it? How did you feel growing up during the Cold War? And what the hell was that thing on Gorbachev's head anyway?

What is everyone up to these days? How many got married? And how many are raising little smurfs of their own? And how many of us still have our hair?

Sounds like OTF material to me...

In Fate's Hands
err..................................ok?

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by RZA

- I actually haven't played Pacman in years, but I remember I've beaten it like 2 or 3 times. And Space invaders I never liked.

-Kit was pretty cool, ey.

- "I pity the foo'"

- Married twice, 3 boys, yeah I still got hair.

And also, I must say that I really miss the horror and action flicks from the 80's. Nowadays, both of those genres have gone to hell in handbasket.

RZA
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
And also, I must say that I really miss the horror and action flicks from the 80's. Nowadays, both of those genres have gone to hell in handbasket.

Yeah, those old horror flicks were way cool. rock

They just don't seem to make 'em like that anymore.

Robtard
Thundercats
GI Joe
He-Man
Go-Bots
Transformers
Bionic Six

Those all kicked ass! HOOOOOOOOOOOO!

RZA
^ Yeah gotta love the old cartoons. I also Remember the Silverhawks, Ducktales, and Alvin and the Chipmunks

Anyone, remember Brave Star, The Centurions and the Inhumanoids? The Inhumanoids was one of the darkest cartoons I remember watching.

Lyna303
so...gen x = 1900's right?

Captain REX
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_X

Lyna303
Originally posted by Captain REX
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_X
oic now...thanks...im generation Y...

pr1983
Originally posted by RZA
^ Yeah gotta love the old cartoons. I also Remember the Silverhawks, Ducktales, and Alvin and the Chipmunks

Anyone, remember Brave Star, The Centurions and the Inhumanoids? The Inhumanoids was one of the darkest cartoons I remember watching.

Brave Starr dum dum dum, dum da dum, brave starr, dum dum, dum dum da dum...

big grin

silver hawks was cool...

he-man, thundercats... jayce and the wheeled warriors... ulysseeeeeees!

crap i'm old...

smoker4
I remember the Centurions lol very cool

debbiejo
I remember that too. Oh, and I loved Alvin and the Chipmunks....ALVIN!!!! And Dave Saville......

Dark Shadows was a soap opera. A Vampire one...lol
Night Gallery - weird scary night show
Get Smart
Love American Style

Quisp and Quake cerial

Hmm what toys did I have...

Hands Down
Twister
Pick up sticks

And McDonalds DID NOT have a play area...

Oh, shag carpeting in bright colors.........

mad

botankus
I actually love the movie Sixteen Candles. For those of you who are laughing, you'd be surprised how good it is if you'd sit down and watch it. Okay, I guess it's okay to laugh a little.

Just think of it this way: If you refuse to see the movie, you'll live your whole life without knowing who Long Duck Dong was.

debbiejo
16 Candles??? laughing out loud And Animal House.

botankus
I didn't like Animal House too much. I was more of a Revenge of the Nerds kind of guy. Just ask PVS; he could tell you all about my fascination with Dudley Dawson (Booger).

botankus
In fact, I'd even go so far to say that Booger and Long Duck Dong are one of the top 20 movie characters of all time.

Right up there with Hannibal Lector, Superman, William Wallace, and Scarlett O'Hara.

debbiejo
Oh, I saw that one too, along with all the hacker horror movies.....

I was a horror freak..........All the Jason movies, but wow that guy that got you when you were dreaming (forget his name)..ya know, the one with the knives on the edge of his fingers...........scary!!

botankus
How could you forget Freddy Krueger? Johnny Depp was in the first one.

One, two, Freddy's coming for you
Three, four, better shut your door
Five, six, grab your crucifix
Seven, eight, gonna stay up late

Don't forget Troll, Critters, Gremlins, and Ghoulies.

debbiejo
Last house on the left
Children of the Corn
Texas Chain Saw Massacre.
House
Beetle Jeeuse (sp) funny funny movie...

Kryzula
Originally posted by botankus
I actually love the movie Sixteen Candles. For those of you who are laughing, you'd be surprised how good it is if you'd sit down and watch it. Okay, I guess it's okay to laugh a little.

Just think of it this way: If you refuse to see the movie, you'll live your whole life without knowing who Long Duck Dong was.
I like Sixteen Candles, too. Long Duk Dong was hilarious!
There are so many good comedies that came out in the 80s.

~ Kryzula

Robtard
Originally posted by RZA

I do remember and I did like the Inhumanoids... Thanks for the memory flashback.

Quiero Mota
How could you forget Freddy Krueger? Johnny Depp was in the first one.

One, two, Freddy's coming for you
Three, four, better shut your door
Five, six, grab your crucifix
Seven, eight, gonna stay up late

Don't forget Troll, Critters, Gremlins, and Ghoulies.

thumb up

And let's not forget all the Sci-Fi Horror flicks: Aliens, The Fly and Predator. cool

smoker4
thumb up

And let's not forget all the Sci-Fi Horror flicks: Aliens, The Fly and Predator. cool

The Predator is a classic, Arnolds best film IMO thumb up

Robtard
Originally posted by smoker4

No way, Conan was his best film and another 80's classic.

"Crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women."

botankus
I disagree. Neither film packed the power and punch that Jingle All The Way delivered.

smoker4
Originally posted by Robtard
No way, Conan was his best film and another 80's classic.

"Crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women."

The only good bit was when he knocked out the camel, oh and the worship of Crom.

I disagree. Neither film packed the power and punch that Jingle All The Way delivered.

laughing out loud

Fëanor
and a lot of 'us' Gen x'rs are all boomerang kids, are called bleeding ponytails and have indentity issues as some of us if not all of us dress all alike...jeans, printed tees (concert tees are for the little ones unless it's got the Beatles, the Stones or Hendrix on it), short sleeved button down shirts over that, sneakers and usually listening to an iPod and have the latest Nick Hornby book along with Q magazine...or is that just me?

smoker4

Inspectah Deck
Originally posted by RZA

bollocks euro

Pandemoniac
Remember going out on the streets with your friends every spare hour? Gone all day, no cellphone for your folks to call you on, and pretending like you were the Transformers, G.I. Joe or on Tour of Duty, armed with pvc-pipe rifles and cheap skateboards? Those were the days!

redcaped
roll eyes (sarcastic)

Robtard
Another thing I remember about the 80's. BreakDancing, I know it started in the 70's and it's still practiced today, but it hit it's peak in the 80's. Also the movies that came out of the scene, 'Breakin' and 'Breakin 2 Electric Bugaloo'.

redcaped
correct

Imperial_Samura
Why does no one remember Robostory?

And Alf was from the planet Melmac. I pity the foo' who didn't know that.

Quiero Mota

Likewise. thumb up

After Predator, Terminator and The Running Man were his best films, imo.

Another thing I remember about the 80's. BreakDancing, I know it started in the 70's and it's still practiced today, but it hit it's peak in the 80's. Also the movies that came out of the scene, 'Breakin' and 'Breakin 2 Electric Bugaloo'.

Yep, of course I remember that. I was breaker back in the day.

I can still do a windmill. smokin'

Fëanor
I agree apart from the Nick Hornby books straggler. denial is a trait most common to most if not all Gen x'rs. Originally posted by Quiero Mota
Likewise. thumb up

After Predator, Terminator and The Running Man were his best films, imo.

Yep, of course I remember that. I was breaker back in the day.

I can still do a windmill. smokin' i was pretty darn good at doing turtles.

Quiero Mota

Fëanor
What about flares and the crab? i could do at most 3 or 4 flares into a windmill then up to a headspin. aren't crabs the same as turtles?

RZA

botankus
There's even a KMC member named Electric Bugaloo. I don't know why, but I always feel the most uncomfortable calling him by his user name. It's like, "But Electric Bugaloo, I don't see your point...etc...." Hard to still keep the serious side of the debate when you're calling someone a breakdancing move. Maybe I'll just use EB for short.

Fëanor
Hey! You! Rocksteady Crew!
B-boy breakers. Electric Bugaloo...yada yada yada, blah blah blah!

*starts to uprock - ends with a b-boy pose*

docb77

Fëanor
sad to say, i actually saw NKOTB live in concert bag

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by RZA
My favorite was the caterpillar, it was the easiest one to do. big grin

Which is why I wasn't a big fan of the caterpillar.

It just just doesn't get better than consecutive windmills. cool

Robtard

Fëanor
laughing out loud You homo. whaaaat? Lance Bass was teh shizz!

wanna know a secret? they sang awful!!

RZA
Which is why I wasn't a big fan of the caterpillar.

It just just doesn't get better than consecutive windmills. cool

Hey but I was pretty damn good at doing turtles too. You got me with the windmills tho and the headstands, well that's just plain dangerous man.

pr1983

RZA
Fraggle Rock was teh shiz nit..

'Down in Fraggle Rock'...whistling

Remember the 'Muppet Show?

pr1983
Yep... awesome...

RZA
Remember the original McDLT sandwich? Hot side hot, cold side cold...

pr1983
Originally posted by RZA
Remember the original McDLT sandwich? Hot side hot, cold side cold...

Sorry, i dunno... messed

RZA
It was burger that McDonalds created back in the days. It was served in a big Styrofoam container and one side had the meat and the other side had the veggies, so it kept the meat hot and the veggies cool and you were suppose to slap em together when you were about to eat it.

How about New Coke or Crystal Pepsi?

pr1983
ahm i didnt go to mcdonalds much in the younger days... i remember new coke though... that shit was awful... crystal pepsi... the name is familiar...

RZA
Yeah it was, that's why they ended up going back to the old Classic formula.

Crystal Pepsi tasted just like Pepsi but it looked like Sprite.

Oh btw, here's a link to an old McDLT commercial

http://www.x-entertainment.com/articles/0949/mcdlt.wmv

pr1983
cool... never tried one though, im a picky eater... messed

RZA
When I was a kid I use to eat a lot of that crap. Not anymore tho.

They actually discontinued it because the whole styrofoam thing I guess was costing them too much money.

pr1983
Originally posted by RZA
When I was a kid I use to eat a lot of that crap. Not anymore tho.

They actually discontinued it because the whole styrofoam thing I guess was costing them too much money.

lol, i'll bet... i'd still get the occasional mcdonalds (if im on a night out or something), but generally i tend to avoid em...

i still love the caramel sundae's though...

Fëanor
they ought to call this the 80s thread. aaah. good time. good times.

RZA
Mr. T says treat yo momma right...

http://www.thatlitevideosite.com/video/367

I don't remember this at all, I'm not sure when he did this but it's both hilarious and utterly embarrassing. I think it's the cheesiest thing I've ever seen, even back then I would've been like What the f**k?

Anybody remember ever seeing this before?

koolruningz
Great thread Rza, reading through this has been like a trip down memory lane.

I'll just throw a few words out there and see if it jogs anyones memory.

CHIPS, Streethawk, Turbo Kelly and Ozone, "Cant touch this", Terrahawks, Robocop, Commadore 64's, Dangermouse, ZX Spectrums, "Dont make me angry....", MASK, Captain Scarlet, Max Headroom and Buck Rodgers.

In answer to your questions Rza, im happily married with 2 kids and i still have my afro (much like the dude in my avatar).

afro

Bardock42
Originally posted by RZA
I know that judging from my poll, they're aren't many of us here

Haha, I pity the foo'
Who is an Xer like you.

You can't even spell,
I mean..."they're"...what the hell?

RZA
^ Thank you for your on topic contribution to this thread.

Oh yeah, one more thing before you go...

http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/2687/348imagemc2.jpg

Bardock42
Originally posted by RZA
^ Thank you for your on topic contribution to this thread.

Oh yeah, one more thing before you go...

http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/2687/348imagemc2.jpg

But it's emp....haha, I get it...cause no one thinks I am funny..haha..Generation X humour cracks me up.

RZA
Originally posted by koolruningz
Great thread Rza, reading through this has been like a trip down memory lane.

I'll just throw a few words out there and see if it jogs anyones memory.

CHIPS, Streethawk, Turbo Kelly and Ozone, "Cant touch this", Terrahawks, Robocop, Commadore 64's, Dangermouse, ZX Spectrums, "Dont make me angry....", MASK, Captain Scarlet, Max Headroom and Buck Rodgers.

In answer to your questions Rza, im happily married with 2 kids and i still have my afro (much like the dude in my avatar).

afro

Congrats on the family. Also congrats to Quiero Mota who mentioned he had a family also.

I'm still holdin on to my hair as well but we'll just have to wait and see for how long. *crosses fingers hoping*

All those things you mentioned definitely brings back a lot of memories.

redcaped
You have disintegrated my piece of work. I have the right to inform you.

RZA
laughing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8Nc8RCLy1s&NR

rolling on floor laughing

I don't care what they say about him, he stilled kicked ass!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.