Atilla the Hun

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

batdude123
If Pope Leo hadn't convinced Atilla of turning back his army, he probably would've sacked Rome itself. Though death was nigh for the King of the Huns, would it have made a huge impact on Western Europe if the "Scorge of God" and his troops took over Rome? Opinions please...

bogen
rome would have been screwed over big time until the slaves from africa were pulled up then atila would have been owned.
he failed big grin

batdude123
What the f**k?

batdude123
Anybody???

Darth Kreiger
Atila probably wouldn't have taken the actual city for a while, Hannibal couldn't because of his lack of siege equipment. He would have been a thorn in their side for a long time

batdude123
Originally posted by Darth Kreiger
Atila probably wouldn't have taken the actual city for a while, Hannibal couldn't because of his lack of siege equipment. He would have been a thorn in their side for a long time

Hannibal screwed himself by going through the mountains.

GrandTurk
Atilla was a great Khan.

Dynamic One
I think that Attilla could have definitely sacked Rome. I have to go back and look at the history of it, but I think he would have succeeded where Hannibal failed. Although I do believe Hannibla could have succeeded had he immediately went into Rome instead of waiting. He was always outnumbered, but he had superior military strategy

Fishy
He could have taken Rome, he didn't. I don't see how he could have failed anyway.

KingTut
Originally posted by Fishy
He could have taken Rome, he didn't. I don't see how he could have failed anyway.

I agree. The Roman will to fight was gone.

KAVHAN ISBUL
ATILLA IS FAR MORE INTERESTING THAN HANIBALL LETS NOT FORGET THAT HEIS A KING OF THE HUNS

Fishy
Originally posted by KAVHAN ISBUL
ATILLA IS FAR MORE INTERESTING THAN HANIBALL LETS NOT FORGET THAT HEIS A KING OF THE HUNS

I would hardly call that a qualifier to be more interesting... What Hannibal did was absolutely ****ing brilliant smile Now Atilla is interesting too, but he has more to do with the fall of Rome then the rise of it, so I prefer Barca...

Penelope
Atilla, Had he not died, could of Easily made Rome tributary, to his Nation. Permanently.

GrandTurk
Attila was Hun!

Hun=Turk!

Alfheim
Originally posted by GrandTurk
Attila was Hun!

Hun=Turk!

Well I know that Attila was orginally from Asia and his religon was Heathenism. He worshipped the Germanic gods which would become the Norse gods. Attila is mentioned in Heathen literature in the Lay of Atil. I dont know where you got this thing about him being a Turk.

Tenebrous
I don't think it would have made much of a difference. I forget which barbarians sacked rome during the twilight of its time, but i think rome was sacked 3 times after the year 400...being that it was already on its death throws attila sacking it would have made the end much earlier.

However, don't forget that attila was on his way to Constantinople before he even turned west towards Rome. If Attila would have sacked Constantinople....well we all might be speaking a different language today. Certainly not English.

IHateCaesar
Originally posted by batdude123

where else could he have gone, Rome had the sea and Egypt under their power

batdude123
Originally posted by Tenebrous
I don't think it would have made much of a difference. I forget which barbarians sacked rome during the twilight of its time, but i think rome was sacked 3 times after the year 400...being that it was already on its death throws attila sacking it would have made the end much earlier.

However, don't forget that attila was on his way to Constantinople before he even turned west towards Rome. If Attila would have sacked Constantinople....well we all might be speaking a different language today. Certainly not English.

Constantinople was paying a huge tribute to the Hun Kingdom when Attila was in power. That's why he didn't attack the Eastern Roman Empire. Hell, at one point, they even doubled their total yearly tribute to him just to insure that the Huns wouldn't attack.

Robtard
The Pope bribed Attila with gold, if he hadn't, Attilla would have sacked Rome; taken it's riches and left. Either way, money would have been lost. Atilla wouldn't have stayed and made camp in Rome, so history would have most likely been the same.

The end.

Phantom Zone
Originally posted by Robtard
The Pope bribed Attila with gold, if he hadn't, Attilla would have sacked Rome; taken it's riches and left. Either way, money would have been lost. Atilla wouldn't have stayed and made camp in Rome, so history would have most likely been the same.

The end.
agreed, people have sacked Rome before and left.

Council#13
Originally posted by batdude123

At least he saw the Alps before they melted.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.