The Flaws of OYL...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Grimm22
Is it just me or are there a ton of things that DC has dropped the ball on in the revamp of the DC universe one year later?

For instance..

- Batgirl is an evil *****?!?

- Bart Allen is a mopey emo who is apparently 23

- Nightwing is a tool

- Green Arrow's book is horrible beyond words

ect...

Devil Lance
Originally posted by Grimm22
Is it just me or are there a ton of things that DC has dropped the ball on in the revamp of the DC universe one year later?

For instance..

- Batgirl is an evil *****?!?

- Bart Allen is a mopey emo who is apparently 23

- Nightwing is a tool

- Green Arrow's book is horrible beyond words

ect...
1. Lazarus Pit made her evil , however it seems like Geof Johns may change that in the Titans east arc.
2. He's 23 becasue he was gone with the flashes and SBP for such a long time.
3. Marv Wolfmans comming on to write just pretend the Bruce Jones run never happened smile
4. Thats your own Opinion, I actually like it.

Now while there are flaws in 52 there are many successes too

1. Batman's titles are a ton better now.
2. Superman's books are a lot better
3.Checkmate is great
4. Uncle sam and the frredom fighters has been good.
5. Teen Titans has improved
6. Green Lantern is Great
7.Batman is much more human
8. Manhunter continues to be great
9. The New JlA has been great
10. The New JSA looks good
need I go on smile

Black Adam
The Flash is the only OYL book that i don't really like.

Validus
Originally posted by Devil Lance
1. Lazarus Pit made her evil , however it seems like Geof Johns may change that in the Titans east arc.
3. Marv Wolfmans comming on to write just pretend the Bruce Jones run never happened smile

3.Checkmate is great
need I go on smile
Good post. There's much more positive OYL stuff than negative. The only thing that bothers me is that Flash sucks.

Grimm22

3.Checkmate is great
need I go on smile

1. Sounds like a Plot Device

2. He was about 17 at the end of IC, he doesn't look anywhere near 21 and either way his character has been DECIMATED

3. Well thats good big grin

4. Indeed, GA wasn't that good Pre- IC, but its even worse now.

Yeah, the good out ways the bad

Especially Green Lantern yes

However, Superman and Batman books aren't that much better. They still are pretty boring

Black Adam
Originally posted by Validus
Good post. There's much more positive OYL stuff than negative. The only thing that bothers me is that Flash sucks.
I still can't believe how bad it is...

I mean it has The Griffin.....

THE GRIFFIN!!!

Validus
The Lazarus Pit isn't a plot device. It's effect on ones mental state is well documented continuity.

Then again, I never really cared for Cassie. That Robin arc was highly enjoyable to me.

Devil Lance
1. Sounds like a Plot Device

2. He was about 17 at the end of IC, he doesn't look anywhere near 21 and either way his character has been DECIMATED

3. Well thats good big grin

4. Indeed, GA wasn't that good Pre- IC, but its even worse now.

Yeah, the good out ways the bad

Especially Green Lantern yes

However, Superman and Batman books aren't that much better. They still are pretty boring

You consider Dini and Morrisson's issues on Batman to be boring What the f**k?

Validus
I wasn't going to comment on it. laughing out loud

Up, Up, and Away was also some fine story telling.

pr1983

Thats a matter of opinion... erm

up, up and away was alright, action has turned a frankly stupid idea and turned it into a readable comic, and despite his hiccup this month, busiek is one of the best superman writers around...

and then there's allstar...

Up, Up, and Away was also some fine story telling.

beat me to it... mad

Grimm22
Yeah, the Flash easily DC's worst book right now.

The writers took everything I love about the book and took a crap on it and then lit on fire and threw it into the pits of hell

Grimm22

Well I havent been reading Detective in a while erm

But so far Morrison's writing has been Meh

Grimm22
Originally posted by pr1983
Thats a matter of opinion... erm

up, up and away was alright, action has turned a frankly stupid idea and turned it into a readable comic, and despite his hiccup this month, busiek is one of the best superman writers around...

and then there's allstar...

beat me to it... mad

Action comics is alright.

Superman's latest issue was incredibly boring.

All Star is amazing.

Up up and away was great though

Validus
Superman to Aliens: We'll Smack You Up!

Priceless. laughing out loud

Besides, Donner/Johns is going to be gold.

pr1983
Action comics is alright.

Superman's latest issue was incredibly boring.

All Star is amazing.

Up up and away was great though

but thats one issue... the others were decent enough imo...

yeah, action just keeps getting better and better...

Grimm22

I love that laughing

I want to see Supes say more stuff like that big grin

Its very Silver Age like

Validus
I forgot to mentioned the botched Wonder Woman relaunch. So late it could almost be a quarterly.

batdude123
http://www.neatorama.com/images/2006-01/superman-propaganda.jpg

Devil Lance
I forgot to mentioned the botched Wonder Woman relaunch. So late it could almost be a quarterly.

stupid Heinberg if you know you can't make a deadline then don't except the freaking job!!!! mad mad
however what he has produced has been very good imo just very late.
Not as bad as AllstarBatman though wink

I wish they would have just put Gail Simone on it, while she may not as good a writer as Heinberg (although thats debateable) her books are almost always on time and she writes ww very well.

Simone+ Dodson= Perfection yes

Grimm22
Yeah, Jim Lee is killing his rep.

I mean first it was All Star Bats which isnt that bad because the book is a laughing stock anyway and its not in All Star Continuity, so it dosent matter

But, im looking forward to Wildcats, even though its never going to come out sad

grey fox
Whats so bad about the flash ?

Doc Potato
|Have you read any of it? Its... bad.

Black Adam
Originally posted by grey fox
Whats so bad about the flash ?

decompressed story
crappy dialogue
ugly art
EMO EMO EMO

Doc Potato
Pretty much... but you forgot the Griffin kid... smile

grey fox
Originally posted by Doc Potato
Pretty much... but you forgot the Griffin kid... smile

WHAAAAAAAAAAT

Griffins funny as hell , he's a pathetic wannabe .....

Grimm22
DC has basicly killed Bart's character.

He would have been better off if he was killed in IC

marvelprince
Actually, I think they are trying to give Bart some depth. Trying to make him seem mature as opposed to that annoying kid who runs fast. It may not be a resounding success but I'm onboards with the idea.

And I like the Griffin character. Bart needs a more personal enemy (he can't just have the Flash's rogue gallery, give him one with a more personal touch). Plus the Griffin serves the purpose of getting Bart out of his funk and making him actually step up to be the Flash. Hopefully when Barts steps up the book will improve and read less like Dawson's Creek

Validus
Originally posted by marvelprince
Actually, I think they are trying to give Bart some depth. Trying to make him seem mature as opposed to that annoying kid who runs fast. It may not be a resounding success but I'm onboards with the idea.

On the contrary I think this was the perfect chance to give the DCU a Flash more along the lines of the JLU incarnation. Bart in Impulse and Young Justice was a fun character to read about. Plus, he was already growing more mature in Teen Titans without getting all EMO.

And I like the Griffin character. Bart needs a more personal enemy (he can't just have the Flash's rogue gallery, give him one with a more personal touch). Plus the Griffin serves the purpose of getting Bart out of his funk and making him actually step up to be the Flash. Hopefully when Barts steps up the book will improve and read less like Dawson's Creek
That's what Inertia is for.

WrathfulDwarf
Yeah, I agree Dan Didio is making a mess of OYL here are the ones that really make wanna slap his bald head:

Catwoman's Baby
Bart Allen is now the Speed force.
Talia's son is annoying.
Uncle Sam and The Freedom fighters is a joke.
MM looks confused and puzzling

It's just a mess they need to fix or DC is really making idiots of themselves.

Doc Potato
I read some of MM1 and gave up. i had no frickin' idea what was going on... sad

marvelprince
On the contrary I think this was the perfect chance to give the DCU a Flash more along the lines of the JLU incarnation. Bart in Impulse and Young Justice was a fun character to read about. Plus, he was already growing more mature in Teen Titans without getting all EMO.

Hey, I'm not saying they were successful. Just offered some insight into what they may have been thinking. I don't think all is lost on the Flash though. What he needs is Beast Boy to give him a slap tell him to chill out. Then we can have a fun loving Flash and someone who isn't too out of touch with others in Bart.

That's what Inertia is for.

Only one? And isn't he still a kid? He may be a clone, but Griffin was like a brother for Bart. Teaching him the ropes and getting him a job in the time when Bart aged

Doc Potato
I only read issue 1... is Griffin evil now then?

marvelprince
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Yeah, I agree Dan Didio is making a mess of OYL here are the ones that really make wanna slap his bald head:

Catwoman's Baby

I am curious about Selins'a baby. Now if it turns out its Bradley's and not Bruce's then I won't care.

The new development intrigues me.

Talia's son is annoying.

So annoying

Yup

Double yup. Hardly seems worth my time

Well, they've done some other things that I've liked. I like Green Arrow kicking ass in his book. Justice League of America 0 and 1 have been great. Trial of Shazaam (is this OYL?) has also been really good. And I've been enjoying the new Outsiders

And for the bad don't forget Nightwing (I feel bad for Jones cause I believe he intended to be writing Jason as Nightwing, not Dick). Superman hasn't done it for me. Batman is just...there. I but him cause it's Batman, no other reason. I hear Teen Titans is good. Maybe I should pick that up. To sum up some good things came out of OYL, it certainly had TONS of potential but so far I'm dissapointed

WrathfulDwarf
I even forgot Booster Gold's death. Just completely not needed. Selina's baby is the one that really gets under my skin. I've even wrote to Pfeifer giving him my reactions. If it's not Bruce then this will be one DC's most clumpsy written story.

But indeed there are some hidden gems. I do love The Trials of Shazam and very much looking forward to The Spectre's apparation in Tales of the Unexpected. big grin

marvelprince
I only read issue 1... is Griffin evil now then?

Well he got powers but was irresponsible and Jay told him to take a hike. He found out about a supposed bobing of a yacht and didn't want Jay to best him so he sent him on a wildgoose case across town while he swooped in and saved the day. Basically though he only wants to be a hero for the fame and when he "helps" people he usually kills someone in the process (inadvertantly, though he doesn't seem to care). Also use of his powers apparently makes him age rapidly (he looked about 40 yrs older, according to Bart, in the latest issue). Oh and he threw Bart out of a window when Bart tired to get him to stop "helping"

Doc Potato
Hmmm... I've rtead face the Face and that was grea, though it was different than what I expected. This Bard bloke intrigues me, has he appeared before?

Validus
Selina's baby is Sam's kid and yeah, thats a dumb decision. Hopefully that kid goes off into limbo along with Power Girl's baby.

Doc Potato
POWER GIRL has a baby!? F**king Hell, its a superheroic baby boom!!!!

Devil Lance
POWER GIRL has a baby!? F**king Hell, its a superheroic baby boom!!!!
had past tense wink

Grimm22
Batman's son annoys the crap out of me.

Hopefully he will die or end up being Dick's son or somthing stick out tongue

Dick would just throw the kid in a hole big grin

Grimm22

Catwoman's Baby
Talia's son is annoying.

You forgot how awful Green Arrow's book has gotten big grin

db_renji
Some of my problems with it:

The Freedom Figthers suck.

Nightwing sucks sooooo bad, which hurts b/c he's my fav. character. Wolvman please hurry and get here.

Deathstroke losing to Green Arrow. erm No Way. I like what they are trying to do with the character (training and getting better after losing), but this is to far. I would have rather them kill Ollie and have Conner be the new GA, he is much better.

Can anyone tell me what happened to Aquaman? I dont read it.

What was the point of having Batman adopt Robin if they were planning to bring his real son into the picture? What the f**k?

Up, Up and Away wasnt that good to me. Although I like the current run in Superman, and can't wait For Johns/Donner.

Biggest Problem: Monitors? Why? There is no reason. DC you are just writing in circles now. Can we please have something new? I know they want to connect things to what happened 20 years ago, but come on that was the past do something new. Look how it paid off for Marvel.

Besides what happened to Wally? That came out of nowhere (him vanishing). And where are his twins (who i believe have powers now after IC #4).

db_renji
O yea. the art in ION is terrible, and unfinished. its the reason why I stopped reading it after #1.

marvelprince
Aquaman now is Aquaman Sword of Atlantis. There is new Aquaman who has been revealed to be the nephew of the lighthouse keeper who found Orin when he was a kid (IIRC, I could be wrong). Orin has been revealed as the Dweller of the deep, some kind of mysterious creature thats been guiding Arthur (new Aquaman). Oh, and he has some creppy lucky tentacles growing out of his face. I think Lucid Lui would know better than be but I think thats all thats really be going on in Aquaman

Doc Potato
Orin is now some crappy sea monster...?

Grimm22
I hate the new aquaman erm

I mean I like how he has a sword and all, but I still miss the old aquaman

But give his sidekick, the shark guy his own book eek!

He deserves it big grin

marvelprince
You forgot how awful Green Arrow's book has gotten big grin

Hey, I'm liking the new GA book. The latest issue has really picked up

Lucid Lui
Yeah, marvelprince basically covered what's going on with Aquaman at the moment.

The book, though a tad slow, has been a good read. The last issue was great. The new Aquaman is the least interesting part of the book to me though. What's going on with Orin/Dwellar has me really interested. King Shark is freaking awesome. They've introduced some cool new stuff to the Aquaman mythos aswell.

The next arc will have alot of classic Aquaman. It's a flashback showing his and King Shark's first meeting. Should be good.

Validus
I hate the new aquaman erm

I mean I like how he has a sword and all, but I still miss the old aquaman

But give his sidekick, the shark guy his own book eek!

He deserves it big grin
Do you like anything?

jumpmann
I heard he thinks the Thing is the ugliest and most overrated character ever created too. And he can't lift 100 tons.

Grimm22
Do you like anything?

I like... confused

Pants? erm

db_renji
I'll admit issue #66 of Green Arrow was really interesting and I'm interesting in the training he did the past year. But, i think makin him that good to were he is on a Batman level or Deathstroke level, takes away from why i liked the book in the first place (pre-OYL).

Green Arrow has never been the most skilled or the best fighter (hell, his son Conner is a much much better fighter), 7 out of every 10 fights he was in he was the underdog. But he was still JLA, and for a reason. He might not have been as fast or strong as his opponents but he was a scrapper. Thats why he was considered an "Old Dog" he used his mind and experence to win. And that was interesting to watch, how he would never give up and find a way.

Its easy to make another Batman/Deathstroke level character, but its something special when you have an underdog who really earns and works for his victories. I think they just ruined a different and refreshing character. sad

I still think they should have killed Ollie and let Conner step up into the role as a much darker Green Arrow after losing his father...just sayin I really like Conner (he should at least have his own name instead of Green Arrow II)

marvelprince
Originally posted by db_renji
I'll admit issue #66 of Green Arrow was really interesting and I'm interesting in the training he did the past year. But, i think makin him that good to were he is on a Batman level or Deathstroke level, takes away from why i liked the book in the first place (pre-OYL).

Green Arrow has never been the most skilled or the best fighter (hell, his son Conner is a much much better fighter), 7 out of every 10 fights he was in he was the underdog. But he was still JLA, and for a reason. He might not have been as fast or strong as his opponents but he was a scrapper. Thats why he was considered an "Old Dog" he used his mind and experence to win. And that was interesting to watch, how he would never give up and find a way.

Its easy to make another Batman/Deathstroke level character, but its something special when you have an underdog who really earns and works for his victories. I think they just ruined a different and refreshing character. sad

I still think they should have killed Ollie and let Conner step up into the role as a much darker Green Arrow after losing his father...just sayin I really like Conner (he should at least have his own name instead of Green Arrow II)

While to some extent I agree, I don't thinking Ollie should be running around with no skills. First off his son is a much better fighter than he is, not to mention allot of the villians he fights and most of the heroes he rolls with. Considering how competitive Ollie is with a other heroes (Batman anyone) I would say its pretty in character for him to want to up his game. That and the fact that it would help him stay alive to protect the city he loves so much.

I really think Conner is the one would should be in the JLA

Draco69

I really think Conner is the one would should be in the JLA

Instead of friggin Roy Harper....

mad

grey fox
Originally posted by Draco69

mad

...I dont know. You can't have speedy hanging around with the titans forever can you ?

Validus

mad
No.

Connor would be more out of left field than Black Lightning. The only reason he was on the Morrison team was because of his friendship with Kyle.

R.O.T. Yahman

Its a pity he's only on the book until December .... sad

R.O.T. Yahman
I like... confused

Pants? erm

He likes Dan Slott .... A lot !!!!!!!!

Devil Lance
Originally posted by R.O.T. Yahman
Its a pity he's only on the book until December .... sad
its just a fill in arc and then he will be back

but John freaking Ostrander is writing it so its going to be good.

Validus
Morrison/Kubert are on Batman for 15 issues. Could go longer but yeah, Ostrander doing a 4 issue fill in is nothing to complain about.

Grimm22
Originally posted by R.O.T. Yahman
He likes Dan Slott .... A lot !!!!!!!!

Dan Slott is the man thumbsup

Its sad because he's only writing one book right now sad

However he's getting another title post-Civil War

Black Adam
Dan Slott is the man thumbsup

Its sad because he's only writing one book right now sad

However he's getting another title post-Civil War

he is. he can't comment on it right now because it involves the outcome of Civil war but he did say it will be a lot more darker then She-Hulk or Thing.

R.O.T. Yahman
Morrison/Kubert are on Batman for 15 issues. Could go longer but yeah, Ostrander doing a 4 issue fill in is nothing to complain about.

Can Morisson ever hold down a monthly frikin book !!!!! He should get some advice from Geoff johns, who has about 5000000000000000000000000000000001. shifty

Grimm22
Newest issue of Batman was great.

I love how Batman acts as a father laughing

Damien: I hate you, your a loser

Bats: ........

*Batkicks Damien*

Bats: I dont let Superman yell at me, do you think im going to let some little **** like you get away with it?

big grin

Accel
God, that kid was so annoying.

And I've never seen Bruce act so leniently. He should have at least backhanded the little brat.

Grimm22
Yeah, but I still love the dialouge big grin

Alfred: Allow me to show you your temporary quarters, young sir

Damien: F**k you!

laughing

Draco69
I kinda like Damien too. Little brat....

Grimm22
I WANT A LAPTOP! laughing

Classic stick out tongue

Draco69
Damien has horrible fashion sense. What the hell kind of Robin costume was he wearing....?

Draco69
Anyone read the New Teen Titans. I love Miss Martian. Predictable origin though....

pr1983
Nope, sorry...

new action was great though imo... it was getting better and better, and i was finally starting to like woods' art...

and supergirl #10... meh... though the 'how fat is she' line made me laugh out loud. on the bus. during rush hour.

Grimm22
Anyone read the New Teen Titans. I love Miss Martian. Predictable origin though....

I picked it up today wink

As usual great issue.

Zatara is a dick.

Miss. Martian is turning out to be a cool character.

Grimm22
Originally posted by pr1983
Nope, sorry...

new action was great though imo... it was getting better and better, and i was finally starting to like woods' art...

and supergirl #10... meh... though the 'how fat is she' line made me laugh out loud. on the bus. during rush hour.

The new supergirl was 10x better than the last issue.

and the art was great as usual

pr1983
yeah, it was better than 9...

churchill's stuff is great, although i felt he was falling into the 'all the women look the same' trap a bit in that issue...

Validus
Supergirl #10 was actually a good read for once. I hope they can keep it up.

Teen Titans is getting better by the issue. There's gotta be explanation for all these new teen versions of adult heroes other than New Earth.

Validus
Someone needs to teach Churchill how to draw ankles.

Grimm22
Its funny because DC is going through all of this trouble to give Supergirl this stupid origin and its all going to be retconed in Action Comics anyway laughing

pr1983
Someone needs to teach Churchill how to draw ankles.

Hmm... *goes to look*

Its funny because DC is going through all of this trouble to give Supergirl this stupid origin and its all going to be retconed in Action Comics anyway laughing

i thought it was bizarro, not supergirl... or is this another arc?

Validus
Come again?

Grimm22
Its not hard to understand erm

Notice how in Supergirl her parents have been wearing those weird outfits with the S symbol all over them and whatnot?

Take a look at Kubert's promo art for Action Comics.

The Supes's origin and whatnot are changing.

Thus all this crap from Supergirl is being retconned big grin

pr1983

Notice how in Supergirl her parents have been wearing those weird outfits with the S symbol all over them and whatnot?

any chance of a link to said promo art? all i've seen is a few pics, and i'd heard that it was all about bizarro... or something similar...

db_renji
The Supergirl book isnt as bad as everyone thinks it is. I like the fact of Cpt. Boomerang being a supporting chacater. I want to see her full origin. I would have preferred that she turned evil though, like she was supposed to be.

Teen Titans are getting better. Don't care for Miss Martian at all. But, I really like Zatara, he's funny and I think a good character.

Validus

Kubert's promo art just shows Jor-El wearing more Earth like clothes but that goes right along with Jor-El's personality. He was practically an outsider to his people. Doesn't prove anything.

grey fox
Miss Maritans looks like she stepped straight out an anime , sailor fuku and all.....

Grimm22
Kubert's promo art just shows Jor-El wearing more Earth like clothes but that goes right along with Jor-El's personality. He was practically an outsider to his people. Doesn't prove anything.

I can always hope cant I stick out tongue

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.