Atlantis...the lost continent

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

RZA
Many historians and archaeologists alike are still to this day trying to find concrete proof of Plato's mystical lost continent. Many agree that the collapse of a continent the size of Atlantis is scientifically possible due to a major catastrophic event as described by Plato but what they are really struggling to agree on is where exactly to look for it in order to get the solid proof that they need.

So, do you believe that Atlantis really did exist and that it sank to the ocean due to some major catastrophic event? And please state your reasons as to why or why not. Also where do you believe it should logically be located?

Quiero Mota
Nah, Plato was high.

Darth Macabre
I used to believe Lemuria was real, but sunken Continents are pretty much impossible...Plates rest on the mantle.

Soljer
Originally posted by Darth Macabre
I used to believe Lemuria was real, but sunken Continents are pretty much impossible...Plates rest on the mantle.

And are in constant motion due to convection. And one plate slides beneath another at a convergent boundary.

It isn't entirely impossible.

Alliance
Yes, but tectonic plates just don't randomly disappear.

Storm
Plato blended fantasy and fact. I' m inclined to follow Erlingsson' s theory that Plato combined elements from different times and places in the background description for his utopia.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.