Superman isn't Christian...Is He Going To Hell?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Draco69
Believe it or not, Superman, savior of the world....countless times...isn't Christian. He's a Raotian actually. He worships his Kryptonian God.

So, since he's not Christian and he doesn't believe in Jesus, will Superman himself be condemned to Hell?

This is of course metaphorically speaking since Superman doesn't really exist.

Batman also isn't Christian (used to be; turned into an atheist after his parents got murdered). Neither is Wonder Woman (worships the Greek Gods). Would these heroes be condemned to hell as well?

Alliance
Superman is also a fictional figure smile

Imperial_Samura
And an alien. It gets to the "if there are aliens did God make them? debate.

However many people have written on how Superman is a metaphor for Jesus and all that kind of thing. Along with how Aslan is and all that. The Messiah/savior like figure.

Of course comics generally stere clear of religious debate, or have characters adhere to fictional ones. It wouldn't be any fun to have Dr. Doom preaching Christianity or Islam, would it?

Although now that I think about it there is Superpope. But he was a dick.

JesusIsAlive

Alliance
laughing

debbiejo
Oh no...........not again.............

shorter post...........pleaasssee

JIA, in your last life were you a book or something??? lol

Alliance
No. A brokern record....oh wait.

JesusIsAlive
Originally posted by debbiejo
Oh no...........not again.............

shorter post...........pleaasssee

JIA, in your last life were you a book or something??? lol

Perhaps. No, reincarnation is a lie, it is false.

Alliance
...because I said so.

debbiejo
Well I am god...soooooooooo..

Alliance

debbiejo
3 dots mean nothing to me........I am all powerful and beyond that.....

Alliance

ninja You don't know the power of the Thr33 god-child...now bow down.

JesusIsAlive
http://www.jesus-passion.com/crucifixion.htm

Weeps.

Alliance
Laughs.

debbiejo
Originally posted by JesusIsAlive
http://www.jesus-passion.com/crucifixion.htm

Weeps. Stop....it's only propaganda.........don't let it make you cry.

bogen
ohh gawd, pull yourself together man!

JesusIsAlive
I will not ever stop praying for all of you.

Imperial_Samura
When Jesus pushes the planet out of its orbit without killing humanity in order to save the planet from giant radioactive space weevils then I will consider him a superhero. And he has to wear his underpants on the outside of his robe.

debbiejo
laughing out loud

Alliance
No one ever like Superman anyway...stupid icon of conservatism assh*le.

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by Alliance

Though he is one of the most recognised comic icons.

Personally I prefer the villains more then the heroes usually.

Alliance
I prefer people with charater.

Shakyamunison
Perhaps. No, reincarnation is a lie, it is false.

Only as false as going to heaven when you die.

Alliance
I think JIA falls under the "new soul" category.

Imperial_Samura
I prefer people with charater.

Ironically villains can be a lot more characterful then heroes. But I believe that is the reason why anti-heroes and humanised heroes are increasingly popular as opposed to the guys on the pillars with "Epitome of Virtue" sewed on their suits.

Alliance
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
Ironically villains can be a lot more characterful then heroes. But I believe that is the reason why anti-heroes and humanised heroes are increasingly popular as opposed to the guys on the pillars with "Epitome of Virtue" sewed on their suits.

I 100% agree. Hence why I loathe superman.

JesusIsAlive
3 dots mean nothing to me........I am all powerful and beyond that.....

No you are not and you are not a god.

Shakyamunison
No you are not and you are not a god.

Of course she is, the only problem is that so are all of us including you. Kind of kills the fun of being a god. laughing

debbiejo
No you are not and you are not a god. confused

*scratches head*......That is not what the other gods said.....

Imperial_Samura
confused

*scratches head*......That is not what the other gods said.....

Unless you were taken in by the god of Lies. Or Flubor - god of Rubix cubes and key rings. He's a right bastard.

ThePittman
Superman would just go beat up God and take his throne, he is Superman after all stick out tongue

fini
Superman rules!!!

Superman flying is fiction
Jesus walking on water is fiction

Compare them as heroes of the fictional world, Superman beats his lil ass. WEll unless he throws the fight like how Satan did in South Park

AND
Reincarnation is not a LIE, you have been lied to all your life, so shush and learn something else than propoganda.

xmarksthespot
I'm pretty sure they already fought in a comic and Superman won.

Soleran
Originally posted by Draco69
Believe it or not, Superman, savior of the world....countless times...isn't Christian. He's a Raotian actually. He worships his Kryptonian God.

So, since he's not Christian and he doesn't believe in Jesus, will Superman himself be condemned to Hell?

Batman also isn't Christian (used to be; turned into an atheist after his parents got murdered). Neither is Wonder Woman (worships the Greek Gods). Would these heroes be condemned to hell as well?

Yes send them and their comics to hell.

Council#13

He goes to Hell in Family Guy. "Some hooker made so crack about me being faster than a speeding bullet"- Superman

WrathfulDwarf

Absolute BS! Bruce is neither religious or atheist. Where the hell did you get that idea?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Absolute BS! Bruce is neither religious or atheist. Where the hell did you get that idea?

I would think he was Hindu or Buddhist. However, what would I know?

debbiejo
Unless you were taken in by the god of Lies. Or Flubor - god of Rubix cubes and key rings. He's a right bastard. Not Rubix cubes..........oh nooooooooooooo..............No wonder I hate them. Light never mixes with darkness!!

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
I would think he was Hindu or Buddhist. However, what would I know?

The character of Batman is rather complicated. But one thing he stands for is justice. Same with Supes and WW. However, he possess a more darker and obscure personality. He uses science to fight crime. But till this day he has never declare himself an atheist. Besides, Batman has encounter numerous spiritual beings in the past. Skeptical he maybe but not an atheist.

Shakyamunison
The character of Batman is rather complicated. But one thing he stands for is justice. Same with Supes and WW. However, he possess a more darker and obscure personality. He uses science to fight crime. But till this day he has never declare himself an atheist. Besides, Batman has encounter numerous spiritual beings in the past. Skeptical he maybe but not an atheist.

I never said he was an atheist. However, in Batman Begins he is a member of a dark warier group (I don't remember what they were called, I'm not good at that kind of thing), and from what I saw of the set the group was based on Hindu or Buddhism.

mahasattva
I will not ever stop praying for all of you.

We also pray for you....hypocrite

WrathfulDwarf
I never said he was an atheist. However, in Batman Begins he is a member of a dark warier group (I don't remember what they were called, I'm not good at that kind of thing), and from what I saw of the set the group was based on Hindu or Buddhism.

I didn't say you said that...I was just explaining. Also the group that you saw in the movie are a secret society of assasins that believe they can impose justice on others base on their idea of what justice means to them. Keep in mind that the location is more of a hide out (or training camp) not an actual monastery. They do not practice or follow a religion but most likely an idealism of Justice.

DigiMark007
You don't need to use Superman, because then they can use the fictional argument against you.

Take, say, Gahndi (sic?)...then you have a argument. Gahndi wasn't Christian, but saved countless lives.

gpchristloves
the arguments about superman and his god and people and so on and so forth aren't importan it is impotant however that anyone who does not believe in jesus christ will not be saved and will go to hell

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by gpchristloves
the arguments about superman and his god and people and so on and so forth aren't importan it is impotant however that anyone who does not believe in jesus christ will not be saved and will go to hell

You are a nice person to be around. roll eyes (sarcastic) What if you are wrong?

Draco69

Actually he's on the sound left:

He absolutely refuses to kill.

He supports equal rights for everyone regardless of...well anything.

He supports environmental rights.

He supports feminism (he does hang out with WW after all)

He strongly believes in freedom of speech.

Most comicbook characters are liberal-bent.

gpchristloves
this is how i look at it if i believe in chrit and turn out to be wrong I have nothing to loose but if i dont believe and i turn out to be wrong then I have to deal with it the rest of eternity in hell I don't want that personally

Draco69
I didn't say you said that...I was just explaining. Also the group that you saw in the movie are a secret society of assasins that believe they can impose justice on others base on their idea of what justice means to them. Keep in mind that the location is more of a hide out (or training camp) not an actual monastery. They do not practice or follow a religion but most likely an idealism of Justice.

Batman is in fact an atheist. He stated on panel that he doesn't believe (i.e. have faith) in any god. He refuses to believe in a God that would allow a murderer to kill his parents.

He recognizes spritual presences like angels, gods, and demons but he doesn't "believe" in them.

Draco69
this is how i look at it if i believe in chrit and turn out to be wrong I have nothing to loose but if i dont believe and i turn out to be wrong then I have to deal with it the rest of eternity in hell I don't want that personally

That's not faith.

You believe in Jesus out of fear of hell? You're also being pragmatic about it. You seem to have a spritual "insurance" in case not believing in Jesus will send you to hell.

You have to genuinely believe in Jesus for alturistic reasons not out of fear.

BobbyD
Actually, I saw Superman celebrate Christmas with his parents in a Justice League episode. He is Christian. stick out tongue

gpchristloves
Actually I have faith but i always like to present people with the fact of it you are wrong you have something to worry about but if I am wrong it doesn't matterthere have been more things in my life that add to my faith than there have been to make me not believe it is true God is there and those that don't believe will have to answer to them

Draco69
Originally posted by BobbyD
Actually, I saw Superman celebrate Christmas with his parents in a Justice League episode. He is Christian. stick out tongue

Everyone in DC apparently celebrates Christian. Even friggin' Wonder Woman and Martian Manhunter.

I bet the only reason they participated was for the gifts...but isn't that true of all us...

wink

gpchristloves
Sorry BobbyD but there are people around the world that don't believe in Christ and celebrate Christmas

WrathfulDwarf
Batman is in fact an atheist. He stated on panel that he doesn't believe (i.e. have faith) in any god. He refuses to believe in a God that would allow a murderer to kill his parents.

He recognizes spritual presences like angels, gods, and demons but he doesn't "believe" in them.

No, he is not an atheist. Again, he is a skeptic but that doesn't direct him to be an atheists. He maynot "worship" God anymore but he has not refute or dispute God's existence.

Shakyamunison
Sorry BobbyD but there are people around the world that don't believe in Christ and celebrate Christmas

Yes, I'm a Buddhist and I celebrate Christmas, but it was a pagan holiday long before it was a Christian holiday.

Draco69
No, he is not an atheist. Again, he is a skeptic but that doesn't direct him to be an atheists. He maynot "worship" God anymore but he has not refute or dispute God's existence.

Maybe a better definition is agonistic. Batman stated that he realizes that angels, demons and gods exist but he doesn't "believe" that they are truely "gods" or "angels" in a sense but rather just some very powerful beings with jumped up superpowers.

Alliance
Actually he's on the sound left:

He absolutely refuses to kill.

He supports equal rights for everyone regardless of...well anything.

He supports environmental rights.

He supports feminism (he does hang out with WW after all)

He strongly believes in freedom of speech.

Most comicbook characters are liberal-bent. \

Negating the fact that he's the icon of American conservatism...the always right, indestructable American pretty-boy...lets go back to the 50's post WWII

Alliance
Maybe a better definition is agonistic. Batman stated that he realizes that angels, demons and gods exist but he doesn't "believe" that they are truely "gods" or "angels" in a sense but rather just some very powerful beings with jumped up superpowers.

Thats atheism.

Mindship
When Jesus pushes the planet out of its orbit without killing humanity in order to save the planet from giant radioactive space weevils then I will consider him a superhero. And he has to wear his underpants on the outside of his robe.

Prerequisite for a superwedgie.

Madman_V3N0M
Well I have a few views on this.
1. Superman was raised by Christian parents so... he's Christian.
2. Isn't Superman kinda immortal?
3. I hope he burns and rots in a Hell filled with krypnonite!(yes, my last name is Luthor)
4. He fought against Hades and other "gods" I think.
5. Pascal said(moving away from Sman) that it's better to live your life as if God exists, because if you don't, then find out you were wrong, and He does exist the consequences are...well ya know...
6. Join The Cult of Alderbranch if you want salvation, oh ye of little faith, I the Mad Prophet/ High Oracle of The Cult of Alderbranch have seen the future and glory(and life and liberty) belongs to those that follow us!

gpchristloves
JEsus saved us from burning in a lake of fire for eternity is that not enough for you

Draco69
Originally posted by Madman_V3N0M
3. I hope he burns and rots in a Hell filled with krypnonite!(yes, my last name is Luthor)
5. Pascal said(moving away from Sman) that it's better to live your life as if God exists, because if you don't, then find out you were wrong, and He does exist the consequences are...well ya know...
6. Join The Cult of Alderbranch if you want salvation, oh ye of little faith, I the Mad Prophet/ High Oracle of The Cult of Alderbranch have seen the future and glory(and life and liberty) belongs to those that follow us!

Superman isn't Christian. His parents were Latter Day Saints. He converted to Raotian when he learned more about his Kryptonian hertiage.

Superman is theoritically immortal as long as he submerges himself in the sun. He can die. And he has. Three times.

Madman_V3N0M
He can die. And he has. Three times.
And did he go to Heavan?

Draco69
And did he go to Heavan?

We don't know. He didn't talk about the afterlife.

docb77
Suspending disbelief for a moment...

When did superman have the chance to study Raoism or whatever?

If writers would just stay true to the idea of the character - an alien with superpowers raised by (stereo)typical midwest farmers - he would have to be raised Christian, probably lutheran or presbyterian possibly methodist. He's supposed to be alien only physically. His mentality and attitudes are supposed to be from earth.

Rant over.

docb77
Superman isn't Christian. His parents were Latter Day Saints. He converted to Raotian when he learned more about his Kryptonian hertiage.

Superman is theoritically immortal as long as he submerges himself in the sun. He can die. And he has. Three times.

Where do you get that Supes parents were mormon?

What were the 2 times besides doomsday?

Shakyamunison
Is Superman a metaphor for Jesus? This would be a better question.

Alliance
hmmm....smile

debbiejo
Is Superman a metaphor for Jesus? This would be a better question. Many Christians think so, and don't like it AT ALL.

Imperial_Samura

Meh, it's an annoying aspect of the world that sees us labelled with our parents religion "They are Christian so he is Christian" - incidently they aren't his real parents.

And the comic multiverse has its own mythology - Greek pantheons, Norse pantheons, The Endless and Lucifer Morningstar (yes, they are cool) TOAA, the Source....

docb77
Meh, it's an annoying aspect of the world that sees us labelled with our parents religion "They are Christian so he is Christian" - incidently they aren't his real parents.

And the comic multiverse has its own mythology - Greek pantheons, Norse pantheons, The Endless and Lucifer Morningstar (yes, they are cool) TOAA, the Source....

Most people do remain with the religion that they were raised in, and those that do not generally convert through contact with adherents of the new religion or personal crisis.

Incindentally, they are his real parents, just not his biological parents.

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by docb77
Most people do remain with the religion that they were raised in, and those that do not generally convert through contact with adherents of the new religion or personal crisis.

Incindentally, they are his real parents, just not his biological parents.

Adoptive parents. Some people put different emphasis on different things. Personally I don't care either way, your parents should be who you want them to be - yet statistically that isn't always the case. The number who get very distressed upon learning of such a thing.

To my knowledge in Australia in foster homes and adoptive situations prospective parents are looked at in this area - if they are hard line Christians and the child biological parents have been practicing Hindus, and the child is of about five up (hence possessing some religious identify) the situation would be seriously considered - as it isn't deemed appropriate for religion to be "forced" by the new family - or even imposed until the child is of a suitable age, as it is seen that the biological family still has/had some authority on such a matter.

Which of course creates problems sometimes because many foster carers are Christian. Thus why the authorities in charge of such things prefer liberal christians.

docb77
Adoptive parents. Some people put different emphasis on different things. Personally I don't care either way, your parents should be who you want them to be - yet statistically that isn't always the case. The number who get very distressed upon learning of such a thing.

To my knowledge in Australia in foster homes and adoptive situations prospective parents are looked at in this area - if they are hard line Christians and the child biological parents have been practicing Hindus, and the child is of about five up (hence possessing some religious identify) the situation would be seriously considered - as it isn't deemed appropriate for religion to be "forced" by the new family - or even imposed until the child is of a suitable age, as it is seen that the biological family still has/had some authority on such a matter.

Which of course creates problems sometimes because many foster carers are Christian. Thus why the authorities in charge of such things prefer liberal christians.

Fair enough

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.