"The Da Vini Code" fact or fiction?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ADarksideJedi
I have read the book all the through for school.I find it interesting but more fiction then facts.It seens that the writter just put all the stuff together making it up as he writes.
Do you guys think it is facts about jesus having a wife and a kid and about the whole blood line thing?Exclaim your answear.jm smile

Shakyamunison
Fiction, I saw the movie. big grin

Jesus was just a man, so he could of fathered a child, but I don't think Mary and the child went to France. Also, Jesus could not have been a Rabi if he was not married.

JesusIsAlive

JesusIsAlive

JesusIsAlive

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by JesusIsAlive
The Bible is the final authority concerning everything that we need to know about Jesus. The Da Vinci Code is indeed fictional.

That way we can close our minds and not listen or think about any other possibilities. Why are you so afraid?

Storm
The Da Vinci Code is not a history or research book. It is a novel and should be treated as such.

Is it possible that Jesus was married? Yes, there is nothing which completely excludes the possibility and there are reasons to think it possible. The arguments in defense of this idea are not strong, however, and cannot justify concluding that Jesus was definitely married.

Draco69
It's a flippin' thriller novel....

Anyone who took this a threat to Christianity or truth deserves to be demoted to janitor's assistant's assistant. erm

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Draco69
It's a flippin' thriller novel....

I'm making a prediction here; 500 years from now there will be a religion based around this flippin' thriller novel. That is how religions get started, someone tells a story and everyone believes it. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Draco69
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
I'm making a prediction here; 500 years from now there will be a religion based around this flippin' thriller novel. That is how religions get started, someone tells a story and everyone believes it. roll eyes (sarcastic)

All I ask that is that a religion be based on Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings. I wouldn't mind a Harry Potter religion....

Shakyamunison
All I ask that is that a religion be based on Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings. I wouldn't mind a Harry Potter religion....

How about Star Wars? laughing

Draco69

If that happens, I will send a Terminator back through time to kill George Lucas.

Alliance
OMG JIA. POST A LINK.

"a romance novel for silly women laden with sins" Honestly, wtf. Do you not examine the credibility of your sources at all? Synapse check in aisle five!

If that happens, I will send a Terminator back through time to kill George Lucas.
I belive in a recent UK census, more people put down "Jedi" as their religion than "Jewish."

The Force is already a religion, HP and LOTR are not.

JesusIsAlive
Originally posted by Storm
The Da Vinci Code is not a history or research book. It is a novel and should be treated as such.

Is it possible that Jesus was married? Yes, there is nothing which completely excludes the possibility and there are reasons to think it possible. The arguments in defense of this idea are not strong, however, and cannot justify concluding that Jesus was definitely married.

No, it is not even possible that Jesus Christ was married.

Shakyamunison

Do a little research about Jewish culture from around the first century and you will find that it is quite unlikely that he was not married. He would have not been allowed to teach without being married.

Alliance

We know thinking is difficult for you, but we're gonna try to help you through this.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Alliance
We know thinking is difficult for you, but we're gonna try to help you through this.

Remember, you are on his ignore list, just like me. laughing

FeceMan
Fiction.

Alliance
Remember, you are on his ignore list, just like me. laughing

smile

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by FeceMan
Fiction.

Yes, the book is fiction, but I get a kick out of how bend the Christian community got over it. laughing

crazy
Got to love how crazy JIA over gets over a novel, a NOVEL.

JesusIsAlive
Originally posted by crazy

Crazy?!? I simply responded to A DarksideJedi's thread.

Shakyamunison

Ya, that's just crazy. laughing

Alliance
Originally posted by crazy

laughing He is rather rabid.

Regret
Da Vinci Code
LIES, Blasphemy, Antichrist Damnable Heresy, Dangerous, Demonic, Satanic
By Jim Searcy

Does it strike anyone as amusing how Mr. Searcy has states the title of a work of fiction and then entitles his work "LIES, Blasphemy, Antichrist Damnable Heresy, Dangerous, Demonic, Satanic"?

Also, when attacking a work, one should use its title "The DaVinci Code", not "DaVinci Code."

Alliance
I would wonder, given that title, if Mr. Searcy ever learned how to write.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Regret
Does it strike anyone as amusing how Mr. Searcy has states the title of a work of fiction and then entitles his work "LIES, Blasphemy, Antichrist Damnable Heresy, Dangerous, Demonic, Satanic"?

Yes, the book is fiction, but I get a kick out of how bend the Christian community got over it. laughing

Those who are weak in their faith, get upset about what other people say.

Regret
I would wonder, given that title, if Mr. Searcy ever learned how to write.

I doubt it. He should have at least added the word "and" to it.

Alliance
My thoughts exactly.

Regret
Those who are weak in their faith, get upset about what other people say.

The foundation of the belief is weak if it requires such an unChristian response. Not only does it attack a work of fiction, it attacks those that read it, "The Da Vinci Code was written for those who love blasphemy, and those who do not know or care what blasphemy is."

Shakyamunison
The foundation of the belief is weak if it requires such an unChristian response. Not only does it attack a work of fiction, it attacks those that read it, "The Da Vinci Code was written for those who love blasphemy, and those who do not know or care what blasphemy is."

I have not read the book but I thought the movie was good. But Jesus having a lineage was only a setup for the story. People make untrue setups for movies all the time, like "In a galaxy far far away".

Regret
I have not read the book but I thought the movie was good. But Jesus having a lineage was only a setup for the story. People make untrue setups for movies all the time, like "In a galaxy far far away".

I do not have an opinion as to whether or not Jesus was married, or whether he had children. The problem with the concept is that it threatens traditional mainstream Christianity. Almost any Christian that is not Mormon should be offended by the idea. Mormons, believe marriage to be a divine concept, as such Christ having a wife and procreating makes sense. We do not believe in Trinitarian doctrine either, and it is another problem for the concept of Jesus procreating. If Trinitarian doctrine is true, and Jesus procreated, the concept of "only begotten" becomes threatened.

Alliance

DaVinci alomst falls into the category of "historical fiction," where gaps in teh historical record are filled by the authors knowledge/vision of historical figures. The difference is that its not told through the life of Christ, there is a 3rd character involved (Langdon).

Historical fiction is a fascinating genre. Its easy to see why people are captivated by it.

debbiejo
Historical Fiction...........and what would be the sin IF Jesus was married.....at that time in history you would be considered weird if you were not married or betrothed at a very early age........

What if he did have a daughter? The grandaughter of god..........

ADarksideJedi

Now that would be cool!jm eek!

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
Now that would be cool!jm eek!

It would probable be put under Buddhism. big grin

ADarksideJedi
Most likly yes!jm

Alliance
Originally posted by debbiejo
Historical Fiction...........and what would be the sin IF Jesus was married.....at that time in history you would be considered weird if you were not married or betrothed at a very early age........

What if he did have a daughter? The grandaughter of god..........

"god"

ADarksideJedi
So do you think it is fact or fiction?jm

debbiejo
I don't think Jesus the THEE God....

debbiejo
"god" Well the church would see it at way......

crazy

Da Vinci Code
LIES, Blasphemy, Antichrist Damnable Heresy, Dangerous, Demonic, Satanic
By Jim Searcy

ADarksideJedi
What are you saying?Confuse.jm

FeceMan
I addressed this in the past: it's because there are people who would believe that it was, in fact, fact.

Council#13
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
I have read the book all the through for school.I find it interesting but more fiction then facts.It seens that the writter just put all the stuff together making it up as he writes.
Do you guys think it is facts about jesus having a wife and a kid and about the whole blood line thing?Exclaim your answear.jm smile

Dan Brown said it was just a book confused

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by Council#13
Dan Brown said it was just a book confused

Maybe because it is. It is fiction. It is sold in the fiction section of the book shop, it is available in the fiction section of the library. Fiction.

I don't even think it is classifiable as historical fiction. Or alternate-historical fiction. At best it operates on some of the theories people have had about Jesus - to take that seriously one has to believe in Jesus, believe the claims about him, or believe the claims were wrong about him.

Personally I don't understand why (other then controversy) the Da Vinci Code has been so popular. It is a disposal bit of fiction, read it and leave it type. Formulaic, with characters straight from "Heroes and Villains 101" - albino monks? Crazy Geniuses? A bookish intellectual who is still attractive and manly? Honestly.

debbiejo
I read the book but didn't see the movie........I couldn't put it down!! It had so many twists and turns and puzzles..........that is what I liked.......

Darth Kreiger
Christians need to get over the Da Vinci Code, the writer even said it was fiction, it isn't a Bible(yet the Bible is a Da Vinci Code eek! ). You people are insecure about your own faith

ALTHOUGH, it was based loosely on fact, and other Theories from Leonardo's paintings

Alliance
Originally posted by debbiejo
I read the book but didn't see the movie........I couldn't put it down!! It had so many twists and turns and puzzles..........that is what I liked.......
I'm sure the book is 50x better.

Damien B
Have you read the book?

Imperial_Samura
I'm sure the book is 50x better.

It is, but that isn't saying much. Tom Hanks had bad hair, and the plot was dumbed down, and I dozed during the bits Ian Mckellen wasn't on screen.

Council#13
I'm really irritated by people who say that Da Vinci Code is real. My friend was like, "Dude, I thought this when I was 5," and me and this girl were like, "Oh yeah? When did you first hear of Mary Magdelene?" and he was like, "Just a few days ago," and we're like, "And when did you first hear about the Last Supper?" and he was like, "Just a few days ago," and yet he insisted that he believed it since he was 5!!!

JesusIsAlive
Originally posted by Darth Kreiger
Christians need to get over the Da Vinci Code, the writer even said it was fiction, it isn't a Bible(yet the Bible is a Da Vinci Code eek! ). You people are insecure about your own faith

ALTHOUGH, it was based loosely on fact, and other Theories from Leonardo's paintings

Some people actually believe the lies. We stand here to help point those people to the truth.

fini
just like how you believe the lies that you are being told.

Storm
Some people actually believe the lies. We stand here to help point those people to the truth.
Each individual reader must explore the characters' viewpoints and come to his or her own interpretations.

Alliance
Originally posted by FeceMan
I addressed this in the past: it's because there are people who would believe that it was, in fact, fact.

So. I feel the same way about religion.

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by Darth Kreiger

Only if ones definition of fact is extremely loose. It makes use of names and locations that are real, but takes them into the realm of historical conspiracy - The use of Templars, Priory, Opus Dei etc - nothing at all like the book makes out. The facts are scant, and when they do crop up they are usually nestled in amongst a mass of psuedohistory or barely evidenced theory (such as the theories about Leonardo's paintings.)

Darth Kreiger
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
Only if ones definition of fact is extremely loose. It makes use of names and locations that are real, but takes them into the realm of historical conspiracy - The use of Templars, Priory, Opus Dei etc - nothing at all like the book makes out. The facts are scant, and when they do crop up they are usually nestled in amongst a mass of psuedohistory or barely evidenced theory (such as the theories about Leonardo's paintings.)

Yea, the thing that got it going was the sudden increase in wealth/power after the Crusade where they based in the Temple of Soloman

JaehSkywalker
total FICTION

Mrs Tigger
I read this thread from the begining as I'm a newbie before I decided make any comment

Yes this book is written as fiction but what it's done is to make people start to think that maybe Jesus could have been married and had a child, some thing that they may have thought about but never wanted to say out loud. Anyway who is there to say that he couldn't . There is always some truth in fiction.

Madman_V3N0M
I'm not even gonna read all this.
Da Vinci Code = crap
Da Vinci Code story = complete bullshit
fact that people actually believe things written in Da Vinci Code = sad

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Madman_V3N0M
Da Vinci Code = crap

The act the you will not read all of this = depressing.

Alliance
Originally posted by Madman_V3N0M
Da Vinci Code = crap

The act the you will not read all of this = ignorant.

Madman_V3N0M
It's just that what I said is true period. It's all fiction and the author sais that too, the story of the "holy bloodline"(which may be the only thing that has anything to do with reality) was a hoax and just everything in the book is fiction, pure fiction. I'm sorry that I offended you, but in this case nothing could ever make me believe that the Da Vinci Code has any truth whatsoever in it. The only thing that might be true is the fact that Jesus did have kids. And just so I won't offend anyone I'll take the time to read the 3 pages.

Madman_V3N0M
Ok, read it... and I still think that people that believe it are idiots, and the fact that it had such a huge success just confirms my belief that the world is mostly made up of idiots.

Mrs Tigger
Why are you so vehement...Madman V3NOM...
Are peoples minds so conditioned over the years that they cannot be open to the possibility..
Does it frighten them that much? That the one person whom they thought was pure and untouched that they could try aspire to be like, may be just a normal human being after all, with all the faults of the rest of us mere mortals?

Madman_V3N0M
I'm pretty sure Jesus was as human as could be, maybe he even had kids... maybe, but besides that the WHOLE "The DaVinci Code" book is toatlly unrealistic... and poorly written. The thing that actually bothers me is that people actually believe the things in the book, and lots of em go on pilgrimages to see the places described in the book.
Like "Ooh, look at Mona Lisa, I never thought much about it being a masterpiece, but after reading Da Vici Code I find it soo interesting!" or "Man! Forget everything you've heard! The holy grail is not a grail at all, it's the holy bloodline, I read it in a famous book that everyone reads, so it must be true!"

queeq
Da Vinci Code is not based on fact, more on wishful thinking. And to fill that up all the facts are twisted out of context or are blatantly wrong. Neither historically or art wise is most of this false... but taht is old news by now.

Mrs Tigger
I think whether it is well or badly written, fact or fiction, the seed of an idea has been sown. Humans are curious by nature and our intelligence determines that we try to question what is logical or not. Many may feel that going on these tours may help dispel their fear that it could possibly be true and so throw everything they have been taught about their faith into a melting pot of confusion.

debbiejo
Originally posted by queeq
Da Vinci Code is not based on fact, more on wishful thinking. And to fill that up all the facts are twisted out of context or are blatantly wrong. Neither historically or art wise is most of this false... but taht is old news by now. What are you doing in the RF........Get back to your pole you Mormon. stick out tongue

Madman_V3N0M
Wait... Deb... don't I know you from another forum? Were you ever in a Setlers forum?

debbiejo
no

Madman_V3N0M
Well, ok... never mind... back to fiction...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.