Teachings Of The Bible

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

LethalFemme
I was wondering especially for those of you who are believers do you believe every word of the bible to be true or stories for us to learn and grow from? From my personal encounters I've discovered that I know people who although would argue to the death that God is real all have different takes on the bible.

Quiero Mota
I believe that The Bible is the word of God, yet somethings are intended to be metaphors and require man to think outside of the box.

LethalFemme
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
I believe that The Bible is the word of God, yet somethings are intended to be metaphors and require man to think outside of the box.

So you take a rational approach to the bible? Any particular passages you believe to be just metaphors?

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by LethalFemme
Any particular passages you believe to be just metaphors?

Yes, when David kills Marduk and then was henceforth fed to lions. I don't believe that he literally killed a dragon: I think he probably defiled something the Babylonians considered sacred, or perhaps even insulted King Nebuchadnezzar and was fed to lions for that.

LethalFemme
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
Yes, when David kills Marduk and then was henceforth fed to lions. I don't believe that he literally killed a dragon: I think he probably defiled something the Babylonians considered sacred, or perhaps even insulted King Nebuchadnezzar and was fed to lions for that.

It's always bothered me that a lot of these events have been used in other religions.

Lord Urizen
The Bible is very poetic.....as is most of Edgar Allen Poe's work.

ThePittman
I believe that the Bible has many historical events and places however not a very accurate accounting of the events.

Alliance
Historical fiction.

Fascinating genre and some good reads too.

Lord Urizen
Originally posted by Alliance
Historical fiction.

It's a TOP SELLER ! ASK JIA !

IT'S THE GREATEST WORK OF FICTION TO DATE !

Imperial_Samura
Historical fiction.

True, true. I have always been fond of Colleen McCullough Masters of Rome series.

Alliance
laughing Actually never heard of it.

Maybe I should catch up.

debbiejo
It's probably some facts and fiction thrown together....though I would have more belief in some of the exaggerated stories in the OT then the NT.

Alliance
Thats what historical fiction is.

Using real people and places, and 1. filling in gaps in the historical record with your own imagination or 2. Putting those characters in your own fictional scenarios.

Imperial_Samura
Thats what historical fiction is.

Using real people and places, and 1. filling in gaps in the historical record with your own imagination or 2. Putting those characters in your own fictional scenarios.

Yes.

debbiejo
I know........I know that.......

Alliance
ok.

Storm
Imo, the literalist approach is by no means the only or best approach for most of the Bible.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.