The Judas Kiss

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Alliance
So, one of my friends brought this painitng to my attention...

http://www.beckijayne.com/images/judasmedium.jpg

Here is another by the same artist:

http://www.beckijayne.com/images/crucifixion.large.jpg

The artists name is Becki Jayne, her site can be found here.

I wanted to know people opinons of her work. Check out her other peices (they do not all pertain to homosexuality). And there are some great ones that I did not post here.

I think her work is bold, agressive, and brilliant. I will elaborate more later.

Robtard
The skill of her artwork isn't bad, but she does have an Anne Rice like fasincation with homosexuality being expressed in her art. It is definately bold and agressive, not sure it is brilliant though, she seems to want to offend, not sure what purpose having Christ viewed as a homo would serve.

Eis
Nice paintings, not too sure about the conceptualism.

We can expect Lord Urizen to come in this thread and make comments on what specific ways he would like to have sexual intercouse with Jesus and Judas... Any minute now.

Alliance
Originally posted by Robtard
The skill of her artwork isn't bad, but she does have an Anne Rice like fasincation with homosexuality being expressed in her art. It is definately bold and agressive, not sure it is brilliant though, she seems to want to offend, not sure what purpose having Christ viewed as a homo would serve.

As with any art, I like to read the artists' statement.

Perhaps her views are not as simple as "Christ was gay."

From her website, describing the Judas Kiss painting

Originally posted by Becki Jayne
We must begin to think of sexuality as a divine state, a natural act.

Why does Judas Kiss depict Jesus in a homosexual embrace if I do not literally mean Jesus was gay? In Western Civilization, Jesus is THE ideal of holiness, of perfection in the flesh. My purpose is to de-shame our human sexual natures, especially gay sexuality, and present it as a sacred act, a spiritually correct behavior. Thus, Jesus is the perfect symbol to help us heal our shame and reclaim the holiness of our sexual natures. I chose Judas as a symbolic reminder that we betray ourselves and others when we reject or disown what is intrinsically our nature. Secondly, I want to show the folly of taking a representation about spiritual beliefs literally. Perhaps people can see the mistake of taking the Scriptures literally, too.

I use similar methodolgy in my art. Chirstian art is very prevalant and its messages are instantly obvious. I co-opt it all the time to express my personal views.

Describing the Crucifix painting:

How can people be so cruel? I asked. What incredible and perverse mind creates and allows something as horrific as crucifixion? Or napalm, for that matter? For me, the burden of the cross means confronting the failure to love.

Shakyamunison
There is something odd about the space in the art work. The foreshortening is more isometric and reminiscent of Japanese paintings. The detail of light and dark is well developed witch sets up a classical feel, but the isometric perspective make the paintings seem flat.

Alliance
I posted them here more for the realigious nature of the artwork.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Alliance
I posted them here more for the realigious nature of the artwork.

What do you expect from someone with a BS in fine art. wink

Alliance
BS for bullshit?

Shakyamunison
BS for bullshit?

Bachelor of science. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Lord Urizen
I think the artwork is beautiful...not just cuz of the homoerotic stuff, but as an artist myself I take delight in this work.

Alliance
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Bachelor of science. roll eyes (sarcastic)

I'm an amateur atrist myself, and yes I can draw allusions to Rivera and VanGogh and Gauguin...and while thats WONDERFUL....

I think this is the religion forum.

Originally posted by Lord Urizen
I think the artwork is beautiful...not just cuz of the homoerotic stuff, but as an artist myself I take delight in this work.

Jayne's statements are wonderful. I though as a fellow mythological artist...you might enjoy this.

This is another, if not my favorite...

http://www.beckijayne.com/images/resur_pic1.jpg

Lord Urizen
I'm an amateur atrist myself, and yes I can draw allusions to Rivera and VanGogh and Gauguin...and while thats WONDERFUL....

I think this is the religion forum.

Jayne's statements are wonderful. I though as a fellow mythological artist...you might enjoy this.

This is another, if not my favorite...

http://www.beckijayne.com/images/resur_pic1.jpg

What strikes me most about that work is the twist on the actual story of Jesus....cool sh*t

Alliance
Yes, but its more than a twist. She goes DEEP.

Shakyamunison
Yes, but its more than a twist. She goes DEEP.

How is that?

Alliance
For example...all the bible pushers haven't posted here yet.

They probably see the first images and x-out of the page.

One she's blantatly comparing the suffering of Christ to that fop homosexuals. But many of these people probably see that image and think "oh, she's saying Jesus was gay."

This is obviously NOT the case at all. In her own words, she's saying "I want to show the folly of taking a representation about spiritual beliefs literally."

Engaging the audeince in that way is commendable as an artist. Of course, you have to read her statement to get that, which I'm sure none of the bible pushers do.

The painting itself seperates the boys from the men so to speak. THAT's genious.

Shakyamunison
For example...all the bible pushers haven't posted here yet.

They probably see the first images and x-out of the page.

One she's blantatly comparing the suffering of Christ to that fop homosexuals. But many of these people probably see that image and think "oh, she's saying Jesus was gay."

This is obviously NOT the case at all. In her own words, she's saying "I want to show the folly of taking a representation about spiritual beliefs literally."

Engaging the audeince in that way is commendable as an artist. Of course, you have to read her statement to get that, which I'm sure none of the bible pushers do.

The painting itself seperates the boys from the men so to speak. THAT's genious.

But I'm not a Christian, and have not been one for a long time. So, the impact on me is minimal.

Alliance
No, its not, because you see that mythology and you know instantly what it means.

Shakyamunison
No, its not, because you see that mythology and you know instantly what it means.

Yes, I understand it, but it does not move me.

Alliance
Does it have to?

Shakyamunison
Does it have to?

Yes

Let me put it this way; I am more moved by your signature work.

Alliance
Then you should see what will be my duel entry.

Shakyamunison
Then you should see what will be my duel entry.

You should use one of those paintings as your new sig. wink

Alliance
Nope, not for a tourney.

Making sigs from art sucks.

Quiero Mota
Technically a sig is art. So I really don't see your point.

Alliance
No, I mean using an pre-existing art piece and using it as a sig.

Bardock42
Wahhh...I entered the thread of pretentious and superficial bullshit....do you folks have no self respect whatsoever?...my recommendation: Kill yourself.

Alliance
How so?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.