Final Fantasy III [DS]

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Gen. Grevious
Now this is a thread to see if anyone can tell me what ever happened to Final Fantasy 3,now i dont mean Final Fantasy 6-which was called ff3 in the american version,i mean the actual final fantasy 3,thats alot to take in,but any info would be helpful thankyou.

whobdamandog
I believe 3, 4, and 5 were realeased on PS as final fantasy anthology. I could be wrong though, I never played the anthology. I did play 5 on an ZNES emulator however. Pretty good game, difficult as hell though. I believe numbers 3 and 4 can probably be downloaded from SNES rom site. You will probably need a translation patch to go along with the rom though. I don't think the games have ever been translated into english as of yet. I'm not sure if a translation patch exists for either however, I'll do a search on google and post what I find.

Gen. Grevious
Thanks Man!

whobdamandog
Hey I apologize..actually 3 was a NES game as were 1 and 2. There are plenty fo NES(nintendo) Emulators on the net out there. Download it and try to do a search to find the ROM. You'll probably have to find a translation patch for it too. Here's a link that gives an overview of the story behind FF3 and the rest of the series.

http://www.squareuniverse.net/ff3.html

Final Fantasy 4 was actually Final Fantasy 2 in the US. Just to let you know. Final Fantasy 4,5,6 were all done on the SNES(super nintendo). So you will need an emulator to play them. Or you can get anthology for the PS, which has both 5 and 6 on it. It's only about 15 bucks and you can play it on the PS2 console.

If your into Free gaming(like I am) I suggest the ZNES for windows. Damb good SNES emulator in my opinion. You will need a translation patch for 5, since it was not realeased in the US. I suggest an IPS patch, which can be run in dos to apply the translation to the ROM.

Good luck

JToTheP
The Japanese Final Fantasy 3 is coming to Nintendo DS, in a perfect remake, no, not the US 6, I mean 3 from Japan. Gamespot has details.

Gen. Grevious
cool!

ESB - 1138
Final Fantasy III which has never been released outside of Japan is being remade for the DS and is to be sold outside of Japan. So far the game looks good and it's Square Enix and really, has Square ever let us down on a game before?

IcePunk
They let me down with FFX-2 sad

office jesus
They let EVERYONE down with X-2.

ESB - 1138
X2 was a sequel to an alright Final Fantasy game. This is a remake of FF3 which has never been released outside Japan. They're taking it from 2D and making it 3D for the DS.

ESB -1138
I did a search and found nothing on the remake of the classic NES game Final Fantasy III. FF3 is getting a complete graphics update to be released on the DS in Nov. I believe. FF3 is the only Final Fantasy game never to be released outside of Japan and I am looking forward to it. FF3 was the first game to feature a Job System where you could change your jobs around (like Final Fantasy V).

The four Onion Knights have been changed to four new characters with unique backgrounds. Final Fantasy III DS looks good so far and I know many fans of Square-Enix are looking forward to this game. New jobs have also been added in and you can count on other goodies for this remake of Final Fantasy III.

JToTheP
Yeah, I can't wait for this. I plan to buy it, and if I like classic FF style, like I liked 9, I will buy 1,2,4,5,6 on GBA.

ESB -1138
Originally posted by JToTheP
Yeah, I can't wait for this. I plan to buy it, and if I like classic FF style, like I liked 9, I will buy 1,2,4,5,6 on GBA.

4 is my favorite.

But to truly be sure I will need to play 3. Also Final Fantasy XII is going to have a spin off on the DS.

BackFire
My most anticipated DS title, along with Castlevania, looks great.

InnerRise
The storyline has been changed as well because of the original story being said to be lack luster.

is it comprehensible.....

JToTheP
Originally posted by ESB -1138
4 is my favorite.

But to truly be sure I will need to play 3. Also Final Fantasy XII is going to have a spin off on the DS.

I'm not concerned about 12 at all, I didn't like 11's gameplay, and I didn't like 10 either, didn't bother with 10-2.

Originally posted by InnerRise
The storyline has been changed as well because of the original story being said to be lack luster.

Well, how much detail can you put into an RPG on a basic cartridge? I mean this is a decade and a half later, so of course they can make it deeper with the DS Chip being way bigger than an NES cartridge.

InnerRise

Well, how much detail can you put into an RPG on a basic cartridge? I mean this is a decade and a half later, so of course they can make it deeper with the DS Chip being way bigger than an NES cartridge. Well what are you trying to say? Sounds kind of contradictory.

Ushgarak
I wish they would give a European release date.

JToTheP
Well what are you trying to say? Sounds kind of contradictory.

Well I mean with the size of the disc they can emphasize everything further, along with graphical technology increasing so much. They may very well of had all these original story branches, or however the story enhancements are, but had to get rid of them due to the cartridge space. I mean from what I have seen from google pics, FF 1-3 on NES looked exactly the same, and seemed to play the same. The same going for 4-6 on SNES.

Ushgarak
Actually there was a notable change between IV and V/VI; the first was an eight meg data size, the others closer to 24. I think there was a strong sense of the NES still about IV.

Your basic point is probably right though.

InnerRise
Well I mean with the size of the disc they can emphasize everything further, along with graphical technology increasing so much. They may very well of had all these original story branches, or however the story enhancements are, but had to get rid of them due to the cartridge space. I mean from what I have seen from google pics, FF 1-3 on NES looked exactly the same, and seemed to play the same. The same going for 4-6 on SNES.

They changed the story line for FFIII. That's all I'm saying.

JToTheP
They changed the story line for FFIII. That's all I'm saying.

Entirely, or just added depth?

General Kaliero
If I remember, the Famicom FFIII's story was comparable to the "story" in the first: Four unknowns pulled into a quest to save the world.

The DS version (at last report) will be using the same story, but each of the characters will have a clearly defined self, as well as a background. There will probably be new sidequests, and definitely much of the game will be rewritten to be better than the original script, but overall the plot will remain the same.

InnerRise
Entirely, or just added depth? I don't know anything about the Original Game, but I think I heard something about using different/new characters than that were used in the Original Game.

JToTheP
I don't know anything about the Original Game, but I think I heard something about using different/new characters than that were used in the Original Game.

Oh alright, well neither of us can be 100% than either due to neither of us playing the original.

InnerRise
Nope, not 100% on the original game. But I did hear that about the new game.

ESB -1138
Acording to Square-Enix

Many years ago, on a floating continent hovering high above the surface of an unnamed planet, a technologically advanced civilization sought to harness the power of the four elemental crystals of light. They did not realize that they could not hope to control such fundamental forces of nature. This power of light would have consumed the world itself had the light crystals not had their natural counterparts: the four dark elemental crystals. Disturbed by the sudden interruption of the careful balance of the light and the dark, four warriors were granted the power of the dark crystals in order to recontain the power of the light crystals. These so-called Dark Warriors succeeded in their quest, and restored harmony to the world. But their victory came too late to save the doomed civilization that had foolishly tried to harness the power of the crystals to begin with. Their once-proud culture was reduced to ruin, though their floating continent remained, a reminder of what had come before. And on that very continent, the circle of Gurgans, a race of blind soothsayers and fortune-tellers, predicts that eventually things will come full circle. Just as the power of light can be abused, so too can the power of darkness. And when that occurs, then the crystals of the light will need to call forth their own champions to restore balance to the world....

One day, an earthquake opens up a previously hidden cavern in Altar Cave near the village of Ur on the floating continent. Four orphaned youths under the care of Topapa, the village elder, go exploring and come across a crystal of light. The crystal grants them a portion of its power, and instructs them to go forth and restore balance to the world. Not knowing what to make of the crystal's pronouncements, but nonetheless recognizing the importance of its words, the four inform their adoptive family of their mission and set out to explore and bring back balance to the world.

dirkdirden

Lana
Merged threads...please search in the future before making a new one.

General Kaliero
Heh, I just snagged it this morning, Dirk. I'm up to about 3 hours and loving it. Despite being 3D (and BEAUTIFUL graphics by DS standards) it still feels like the other S/NES FF games.

I haven't used the mail feature yet either, but I hear it's key to unlocking some of the better secrets in the game. Since we kinda-sorta know eachother, may as well try it, eh?

I really like the jobs, and I like that they make you put some thought into what jobs you're using. Right now certain conditions are causing me to use an all-mage team, something I've never done before. big grin

BackFire
I'll be getting it for Xmas. Would get it sooner but I'm already juggling FFXII and Gears of War, don't need another game competing with them just yet.

InnerRise
Originally posted by office jesus
They let EVERYONE down with X-2. Ummm Speak for yourself.

They didn't let everybody down with Final Fantasy X-2, including me.

I haven't purchased any of the re-released Final Fantasy Games on the GBA and had no intention on buying this one.

I still don't know if I'll get this one.

I did get Final Fantasy Tactics for the GBA, but I don't like it all that much.

anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

dirkdirden
Originally posted by General Kaliero
Heh, I just snagged it this morning, Dirk. I'm up to about 3 hours and loving it. Despite being 3D (and BEAUTIFUL graphics by DS standards) it still feels like the other S/NES FF games.

Yeah we'll try out the mailing system but I have to get a new USB thing I lost my old I'll have it this weekend.

Yeah the game will make you use magic ALOT. I just got my ass kicked by the Fire crystal boss. I had MONK, BMAGE, THEIF, RMAGE. Got whomped. I need to get all mages and back row it to win. and MY Rmage isn't strong enough to do any damage.

Also you can equipped 2 weapons and really tear it up. My thief is the best character on my team so far. Job Level 22 and hits 18 times with 2 weapons taking off over 1000 on some monsters.

Yeah It does still have to classical feel. I have played the NES version with translation and its the same storyline just slight differences.

§P0oONY
Ummm Speak for yourself.

They didn't let everybody down with Final Fantasy X-2, including me.

You gave up on FFVII in the 1st town... Your opinion doesn't count. X2 was shoddy.

dirkdirden

General Kaliero
Originally posted by dirkdirden
Yeah we'll try out the mailing system but I have to get a new USB thing I lost my old I'll have it this weekend.

Yeah the game will make you use magic ALOT. I just got my ass kicked by the Fire crystal boss. I had MONK, BMAGE, THEIF, RMAGE. Got whomped. I need to get all mages and back row it to win. and MY Rmage isn't strong enough to do any damage.

Also you can equipped 2 weapons and really tear it up. My thief is the best character on my team so far. Job Level 22 and hits 18 times with 2 weapons taking off over 1000 on some monsters.

Yeah It does still have to classical feel. I have played the NES version with translation and its the same storyline just slight differences.

I've been double weaponing since I first had enough. My Warrior has two swords at all times, and at job level 9 he's already getting in 6 hits 80% of the time and averaging above 200 damage per attack. My dedicated White Mage is dual-wielding elemental staves, so he's relatively strong for a Whitey. My Black Mage uses a bow and arrow when she's not using magic, and my Monk is naturally bare-handed.

Luneth Warrior Job Lvl 9
Arc WM Job Lvl 14
Refia BM Job Lvl 15
Ingus Monk Job Lvl 10

Everyone's Lvl 14.

Luneth and Ingus are lower in their jobs because of the first section that forces you to Mage everyone.

dirkdirden

Luneth Warrior Job Lvl 9
Arc WM Job Lvl 14
Refia BM Job Lvl 15
Ingus Monk Job Lvl 10

Everyone's Lvl 14.

Luneth and Ingus are lower in their jobs because of the first section that forces you to Mage everyone.

Luneth Monk Job Lvl 18
Arc BM Job Lvl 21
Refia Theif Job Lvl 22
Ingus Warrior lvl 9 & redmage lvl 9

All at different levels lowest 17 highest 20.

I got beat by the salamader so I'm going to change Luneth to white mage and remember to equiped the IceSword on Ingus becuase Salamader is a fire boss.

Do you know how to gain new job classes I can't remember if you have level up your current ones or if you get them later on in the game. I want an archer becuase the Black mage can't use ICE,FIRE,andBOLT arrows. BMage is surprizingly good with the bow.

WORK SUCKS all I can think about is going home and playin this game.

General Kaliero
I think most of the jobs you get automatically throughout the story, while some of the most specialized/powerful ones are through sidequests and the Mognet.

dirkdirden
I think most of the jobs you get automatically throughout the story, while some of the most specialized/powerful ones are through sidequests and the Mognet.

Damn I want an archer to fight Salamader with ICE ARROWs would kick his Gnuts in.

dirkdirden
General K.

Friend code is 343681749337

Don't know if we both have to be online if so post when you can get online tommorow. If not I'll be waiting for my message.

Silverstein
should i buy this game? i hear its hard, i dont want to get a game thats overly difficult...

BackFire
there's no save points in dungeons, that's so far the only massive negative about the game that's been universally pointed out.

InnerRise

InnerRise
I just purchased this game. I've yet to play it though.

Did anybody get the game with a little DS Final Fantasy III Pack along with it?

Darth Jello
Originally posted by Silverstein
should i buy this game? i hear its hard, i dont want to get a game thats overly difficult...

pfff, good luck, even in their remade forms, the first 6 final fantasies are harder than all the other games. Even though they really toned down I and II on Dawn of Souls, they added the sheer joy of fighting Ultima Weapon, Omega Weapon, and Shinryu with inferior final fantasy I and II weapons and magic, especially when your at level 99 with the best armor and the ultima weapon and Omega still kills your fighter with two attacks.

They also decided V wasn't hard enough and so added Omega Weapon mkII and Neo-Shinryu, not to mention a souped up, harder human version of Ex-Death. enjoy

InnerRise
Yeah, tis true.

Some view the difficulty of this game as a mistake they made when remaking this game and not fixing it so it's more evened out. The first Final Fantasy Games that came out were made like this b/c they were making it for the hardcore gamers and the later Final Fantasy Games have improved in this area letting more casual players get the hang of it.

I agree, that they should have altered this part about the game and made the bosses less difficult.

I haven't had a problem yet, but I'm sure I will.

Well there was this one little thing where I was beating every monster that came at me and then I all of a sudden I run into these 2 monsters who kill my characters in 2 hits, so yeah, they messed up in that area.

General Kaliero
When you come to an area where monsters suddenly kill you near-instantly, that's usually a sign that you're not supposed to be there yet. That's the way they made a game linear back then, not with physical obstacles, but making sure you couldn't get through there alive until they wanted you to.

I like that the difficulty is intact, instead of dumbing it down for American gamers. I want a nice challenging game that will last me a while, not something I'll breeze through without trouble because all the battles were intentionally weakened for me.

InnerRise
Well I was in the same area and I like took 2 steps over into this sandy area on the map, which was right beside the town I was going to and the monsters got me. So I don't know if what you said was the case in this incident.

ESB -1138
Originally posted by Lord. Kadaj
Now this is a thread to see if anyone can tell me what ever happened to Final Fantasy 3,now i dont mean Final Fantasy 6-which was called ff3 in the american version,i mean the actual final fantasy 3,thats alot to take in,but any info would be helpful thankyou.

Here's what happened. When Final Fantasy I came out in the USA; Final Fantasy III came out in Japan. By the time Square was planning to release Final Fantasy II into the USA the SNES came out so they basically tossed it aside and ported Final Fantasy IV over to the USA as Final Fantasy II. The NES FF2 was later brought to the USA via the Gameboy Advance Dawn of Souls which had Final Fantasy I and II with updated GBA graphics.

Final Fantasy III was the only Final Fantasy game never released outside of Japan due to the SNES coming out. So in order to release it to the USA and other countries for a new generator Square-Enix gave the graphics a complete overhaul for the DS to give birth to Final Fantasy III DS and due to the success of Final Fantasy III DS Square-Enix may redo other Final Fantasy games completely.

Lana
Just got this game, I'm liking it a lot so far. Quicksave is a seriously nifty little feature.

General Kaliero
Happy Dance

Good to hear it. Means I'll have to pick mine back up again. ...Except that means I'll have to take Castlevania out. ermm

InnerRise
Yeah, I need to pick my back up as well. Haven't been playing any hand held games like anything lately. Going back to college and leaving my consoles behind at home should really help me get back into my handheld games including Final Fantasy III.

dirkdirden
just finished the game last night. The last level is a lot of walking and fighting with no save point.

Found a good leveling up trick. In the last castle there are mosters that summon monsters. Just keep killing the summoned monsters and leave the summoner alone. Do that for about an hour and you should be set to fight the main boss.

final stats
lvl 68 ninja job class 81
lvl 69 black belt job class 99
lvl 68 knight job class 72
lvl 68 Sage job class 52

Lana
Okay, so here's something annoying that I've come across and am wondering if anyone else has.

I have Refia as a Scholar, and her job level is 5 as I just got and switched to that class. I've got her equipped with two books (light and fire). Though, unlike all the elemental swords and staves I have on my OTHER characters, when I try and select them as items in order to cast free magic, it won't let me. Do you have to be a certain job level for it to work, or is it a glitch, or what? It's really annoying. I could really use that free magic!

taste_u
edit

Lana
Well, never got an answer from anyone for my last question.

So here's another one.

Twice now I've gone through Hein Castle (that floating castle that you wind up in when you go in that one town). I cannot beat the boss. First time I was unable to because I found out the hard way it doesn't take damage from physical attacks. Second time I struggled my way through with a magic group, got to the boss...was attacking using the spells that Study said it was weak against.

And STILL wasn't able to do any damage to it. Thundara was doing fricking 60 points of damage.

So I got pissed off and turned it off.

Right now my party is as such:

Luneth - Red Mage, base lvl 19, job lvl 8
Ingus - Black Mage, base lvl 19, job lvl 6
Refia - Scholar, base lvl 19, job lvl 10
Arc - White Mage, base lvl 19, job lvl 23

Arc's been WM since I could first change classes, hence him being so much higher.

By the time I get to the end of the dungeon they're all level 20 and job levels are between 5-10 higher.

This is obnoxiously annoying to the point where if I go through this dungeon a third time and can't beat the final boss, I'll likely just put this game away for good.

The lack of save points and healing spots in the dungeons is a huge problem in this game, I feel...

General Kaliero
That boss's weakness changes constantly. If you've got the magic and staves for it, hit him with fire, ice, and lightning magic each turn.

Did you raid the castle to the north beforehand? There's some equipment in there that can be helpful in Hein Castle.

Lana
I check his weakness every turn and try and hit him with as many spells of that type as I can before he changes again. Still does next to no damage.

And yep, raided the castle and got everything out of it.

JToTheP
Are you near his level at all Lana? Are your jobs leveled up?

General Kaliero
Level 20 should be good, JToTheP. I beat him at level 19.

Lana, he also goes through stages where physical attacks DO cause worthwhile damage. My party was Knight, W Mage, B Mage, and Scholar. Knight attacked physically each turn, W Mage used staves and healed when necessary, B Mage used actual magic, and Scholar Studied each turn. It was a long battle, but I won out on my second try.

It's pretty much just a case of hitting him with everything you've got and staying alive. If that just isn't working, grind.

Lana
Yeah, I finally managed to kill the bastard. Had Luneth just whack at him with swords every turn, Ingus use magic/staves, Refia alternate between Study, healing and attacking, and Arc alternate between healing and using staves. Finally killed it when I had Refia use an elemental item...Scholar + being lucky and it being what it was weak against at the moment = dead boss.

General Kaliero
And I just got the third crystal. Dragoon class is, dare I say it, cute. Not to mention badass.

Oh, Scholar comes in handy for your next boss, too. Hope you still have some Zeus' Wraths...

Lana
I've got a couple of them.

Is it just me, or does it seem that the Scholar class is underpowered compared to the rest?

General Kaliero
Scholar does double damage with attack items, such as Zeus' Wrath. Which is really the only reason to use one (aside from the cute glasses).

Lana
Pretty much.

BTW, that next boss? Easiest boss ever. Killed it in two turns.

...which was mostly due to having gotten a Heaven's Wrath as a drop, that did 6000 damage on it's own.

dirkdirden
Black magic becomes almost pointless because both the ninja and black belt take off 9999 if on a high enough level. I only used the Scholar for healing and nothing else. All the bosses in the game die very fast when you have 2 people taking off 9999 and a knight taking off 6000.

I recommend ditching all your magic people but one and level up a black belt to 99 and the game will be very easy and the lack of save points wont effect you because you wont die.

Lana
Yeah, sorry, I don't like going through the game making everything as easy as possible.

Lack of save points doesn't annoy me because I'm dying, because I'm not. I've yet to get a single game over. It annoys me because I have to redo things over and over because I'll get to the end of something and find I can't finish it with my current set up.

Right now my party is this:

Luneth - Thief
Ingus - Dragoon
Refia - Dark Knight
Arc - White Mage

All level 23 (I think), Luneth and Arc's job levels are in the 30s, Ingus and Refia are around 5 but I just switched to those classes.

Soul Eater + using a Blood Sword = awesome.

dirkdirden
Originally posted by Lana
Yeah, sorry, I don't like going through the game making everything as easy as possible.

Lack of save points doesn't annoy me because I'm dying, because I'm not. I've yet to get a single game over. It annoys me because I have to redo things over and over because I'll get to the end of something and find I can't finish it with my current set up.

Right now my party is this:

Luneth - Thief
Ingus - Dragoon
Refia - Dark Knight
Arc - White Mage

All level 23 (I think), Luneth and Arc's job levels are in the 30s, Ingus and Refia are around 5 but I just switched to those classes.

Soul Eater + using a Blood Sword = awesome.

Three fighters and a healer is a great set up. The Dragoon also gets a blood lance latter on that rocks 110 attack. The lack of save points didn't annoy me tell the last castle very long with 6 bosses in it.

For me the game became very hard to keep playing later on in the game because of the very long last dungeons I almost just stopped playing it but I forced myself to finish it.

JToTheP
dirk, you forgot how effective a Black Mage is: Thundara, Blizzara, Fira, Firaga, Thundaga, Blizzaga

dirkdirden
dirk, you forgot how effective a Black Mage is: Thundara, Blizzara, Fira, Firaga, Thundaga, Blizzaga

Black mage fails in comparison to the sage who does white, black, and summon spells. the black mage has higher magic attack but he never reaches the 9999 mark like the ninja and black belt......the most he would take off was around 5000 for me so I didn't use him in the final battle. And if I use a black mage I also have to use a white mage for healing and then I would have to loose of either my knight, Black belt, or ninja and I wouldn't want to get loose the best defense and two 9999 attackers.

JToTheP
Well, I don't have the Earth Crystal yet, but I can say I love my Onion Knight already. I plan to beat the game with a: Devout, Onion Knight, Magus, and Sage, considering using white & black magic, and Summon magic is about as perfect as possible.

dirkdirden
Well, I don't have the Earth Crystal yet, but I can say I love my Onion Knight already. I plan to beat the game with a: Devout, Onion Knight, Magus, and Sage, considering using white & black magic, and Summon magic is about as perfect as possible.

Never got the Onion Knight becuase nobody had the game when I got it, but now that I'm finished with the game all my friends have bought it.

JToTheP
You could of posted on a forum like gamefaqs asking for friend codes to swap with people.

dirkdirden
You could of posted on a forum like gamefaqs asking for friend codes to swap with people.

But that would require effort and I'm lazy.

Burnt Pancakes
Just bought this. For those of you have this, what's your opinion? Is it really fun?

JToTheP
I'm about to fight the Cloud Of Darkness, my party is around 55-57, and my job levels are around 58-61. How brutal does she attack each turn? I have 4 ribbons, and can cast Reflect on her at the start of the fight, but that limits me to physical a bit.

Any advise would be great, thanks.

Oh, my jobs are: Devout, Onion Kniht, Summoner, and Magus.

Lana
Wow, low job levels; two of my jobs are in the 50s and my characters are only level 28-29.

Yeah, I haven't played in a while, I just beat the boss in Saronia Castle. Who killed my entire party but one person that managed to kill it in one hit with a lucky crit...heh.

JToTheP
Yeah, I kinda didn't switch jobs a lot and just played the game, so I only have about 7 total job levels in the 40's-or 50's.

To anyone who has beaten the game though, would it be possible to beat her yet, or should I power level before fighting her?

Burnt Pancakes
Whats the deal with the save? You can only save at certain spots or something?

Lana
You can save anywhere but in towns or dungeons.

Burnt Pancakes
Thaks for that.

Lana
The inability to save in dungeons certainly pissed me off yesterday, though. Eureka is one hell of a fun area (and has amazing items in it), but Kunoichi (the boss guarding Masamune) completely wiped me out. After I'd been in there an hour.

I've discovered that Summoner is awesome...wasn't going to bother with that job at all but just decided to do so at a whim and wow.

Leviathan and Bahamut were really easy to kill though stick out tongue

JToTheP
The inability to save in dungeons certainly pissed me off yesterday, though. Eureka is one hell of a fun area (and has amazing items in it), but Kunoichi (the boss guarding Masamune) completely wiped me out. After I'd been in there an hour.

I've discovered that Summoner is awesome...wasn't going to bother with that job at all but just decided to do so at a whim and wow.

Leviathan and Bahamut were really easy to kill though stick out tongue

I hate the summons in this game though, the fact that the attack they use is so random. I hate when I need to heal that round, and Odin casts Reflect on me, and destroys my healing attempts.

But, I do agree with you, the Summoner job is great.

BackFire
Savepoints or bust, for me.

Game breaking, I think.

Lana
I hate the summons in this game though, the fact that the attack they use is so random. I hate when I need to heal that round, and Odin casts Reflect on me, and destroys my healing attempts.

But, I do agree with you, the Summoner job is great.

Summoner doesn't have the random summon effects, it's only Evoker and Sage that do. When you summon using Summoner, it's straight heavy damage to the enemies. And it's pretty sweet doing upwards of 6k damage to everything in your way.

Originally posted by BackFire
Savepoints or bust, for me.

Game breaking, I think.

I've been wasting a lot of time in Eureka and Crystal Tower because I keep teleporting out to save, because I don't want to get wiped out by some nasty monster or a boss and lose a bunch of progress (like what happened last night). Though I must admit it's a great help in levelling.

Oh, and dragons suck...

JToTheP
Summoner doesn't have the random summon effects, it's only Evoker and Sage that do. When you summon using Summoner, it's straight heavy damage to the enemies. And it's pretty sweet doing upwards of 6k damage to everything in your way.

I've been wasting a lot of time in Eureka and Crystal Tower because I keep teleporting out to save, because I don't want to get wiped out by some nasty monster or a boss and lose a bunch of progress (like what happened last night). Though I must admit it's a great help in levelling.

Oh, and dragons suck...

Oh, well dammit, I wish I knew that Summoner wasn't random, I thought that's how the summons were set up in this game.

Well, far too late now, and a game this difficult I wouldn't restart.

Lana
Oh, well dammit, I wish I knew that Summoner wasn't random, I thought that's how the summons were set up in this game.

Well, far too late now, and a game this difficult I wouldn't restart.

I thought you said you were using a Summoner? I mean, surely you'd note by using the class that the summon effect was constant...

Right now I'm kind of really annoyed by the inability to save in dungeons, especially as I'm in the World of Darkness so I can't even leave in order to save. I'm not terribly worried about dying right now, but what I am worried about is getting to the last boss and dying. That would probably piss me off enough so that I don't bother to finish the game.

Right now my characters are level 55, and I'm using Ninja, Dragoon, Summoner, and Devout. Dragoon's job level is maxed, the rest are in the 40s (I only changed to them when I went into Eureka). I'd like to get to level 60 before I go after the final boss, though as the monsters in World of Darkness give absolute shit in the way of exp, that's going to take a while erm

JToTheP
I thought you said you were using a Summoner? I mean, surely you'd note by using the class that the summon effect was constant...

Right now I'm kind of really annoyed by the inability to save in dungeons, especially as I'm in the World of Darkness so I can't even leave in order to save. I'm not terribly worried about dying right now, but what I am worried about is getting to the last boss and dying. That would probably piss me off enough so that I don't bother to finish the game.

Right now my characters are level 55, and I'm using Ninja, Dragoon, Summoner, and Devout. Dragoon's job level is maxed, the rest are in the 40s (I only changed to them when I went into Eureka). I'd like to get to level 60 before I go after the final boss, though as the monsters in World of Darkness give absolute shit in the way of exp, that's going to take a while erm

No, I confused the name of the Sage with the Summoner because I hadn't played in a bit and forgot.

I figured I'd use a Sage because she/he, for me it's Refia, so she, can cast any spell what so ever. I figured since Arc, my Onion Knight is best with physical damage, and magic as his back up, that the Sage would pick up that slack. I found out far too late though that only the Sage's summons are random, I thought that's how they designed 3 is all.

I have a Devout, and Magus as well, and I'm finding out that a Magus is basically useless now. So, I agree with you Lana that the Cloud Of Darkness is going to be horrifically overpowered, especially after I found out even if you max out a few jobs, you won't have 9999 HP.

I think to have an attack like Particle Beam that can wipe out the entire party, in an end-game this difficult is ridiculous and uncalled for. Fine, I understand 'final boss', but if I die I have to go through all of that again, level up around 7-10 more times, and level my jobs back up around 15-20 levels.

So to me it's just ridiculous, and she has four attacks per turn.

Lana
I don't think Particle Beam is NEARLY as powerful when you actually fight her for real as opposed to when she wipes out your party after fighting Xande. Still a party-killing power if you don't keep on top of everyone healing, yes, but not doing 9999 damage. Plus supposedly by fighting the four other bosses in World of Darkness you weaken her as well.

Sage is a garbage class, as is Magus. Black magic is woefully underpowered in this game, so there's really no point in ever using it outside of a few parts where you HAVE to. And Sage is crap because it's not as good at casting magic as the specialized classes, and then you have that stupid random summon effect. Yeah, I'm not going to leave things up to chance at this point in the game. I'd say replace your Sage with a Summoner and your Magus with a Ninja...assuming you collected plenty of Shuriken on your way through Eureka. Because throwing Shuriken is a guaranteed 9999 damage, ALWAYS.

And I'll say that yes, I was initially very wary of Summoner and wasn't going to use it at all because of how underpowered attack magic is in this game (which really pisses me off). But trust me, Summoner will be doing much, much more damage than a Magus or Sage. Yeah, 3000-6000 damage is low compared to how much my Ninja and Dragoon do, but that damage is also to every enemy.

I really don't think 9999 HP is needed either because hitting that before level 99 is pretty damn hard to do. My characters are all about 2800-2900 HP right now, not having any problems with things. I'm also currently level 56, so I'd still like to level up a bit before I go and tackle Cloud of Darkness. I still have two more Ribbons and two more bosses in here to do, though, so that's really about 4 boss battles still to go before I go for the final boss. I could probably get 4 levels in that time.

And 15-20 job levels...I'd have about 40 job levels lost if I die in here, and about 10 levels. That...would be infuriating. I just don't like that it's a point of no return, so you HAVE to do your final leveling in here, but the enemies give next to nothing in the way of experience. How lame is that.

Ushgarak
Yup, Magus is useless. So, fairly much, is Sage- all-rounders just don't cut it. You need a specialist.

Lana
(insert my standard bitchfest here about how they made attack magic all but useless)

Seriously, I really, really hate that.

At least Summoner somewhat makes up for it though it's still not quite as strong as I think it should be.

JToTheP
Yeah, well, I do hope after killing all four bosses she's POSSIBLE to fight, I keep having nightmare flashbacks of Mario & Luigi:Partners in time and how the final boss fights took me 3 hours total. I was level 30, which was good enough for me to fight everything, and it still took me ages.

So, at this point I'm not too worried about time, it's the ridiculous power final bosses seem to have, especially in handhelds, and why wouldn't the 'ultimate' healing Spell, CURAJA, restore 9999 HP?

I hope they fix these issues in 4, and knock out the temp save issue entirely. It's really game-breaking to me on an otherwise fine game.

Lana
Who says Curaja won't heal 9999 damage? If you have a decently leveled-up (character and job level) Devout, it should. Hell, mine will heal about 1500 just using Cure.

Meanwhile, I got annoyed with my attempts at leveling in World of Darkness and just loaded my save file instead of my quicksave. Apparently when I'd gotten to the top of Crystal Tower I'd teleported out and saved, as I only lost about 4 levels. I'm at level 59 right now, will hit 60 somewhere in Crystal Tower (as I'm heading back there now), will probably be about 62-ish after defeating the bosses in World of Darkness (depends on how many random battles I fight in those two places).

And really? If you haven't yet fought any of the world of darkness bosses...they're pushovers. Yes, you'll need to make sure that you heal every turn, and they have a ton of HP, but they're not hard to defeat.

And personally, I love the quicksave features. It's great for when you want to quit in the middle of something. I just think they should also add actual save points in dungeons.

Lana
Okay, I just beat the game with my characters at level 61-62. So I'm happy big grin

I was going to type out a whole long thing about the last boss but meh, I'll do that in the morning stick out tongue

Ushgarak
To be fair on FFIII, aside from the last dungeon, all of the dungeons are pretty small. Although it is frustrating to get boss-killed, you can be back there in twenty minutes.

FFIV will need more save points simply because it was larger.

InnerRise
I haven't played this game in the longest.

After attempting a few times to get through that dungeon with the LAVA and getting to the end, only to lose and have to start over, I got frustrated and haven't picked it up in a while.

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

JToTheP
*End Game Spoiler talk*

Well, I just beat the game, and actually the fear of dying was the most difficult part of the battle. Arc, my Onion Knight died, and Ingus, my Black Mage died, but purely because her attacks later on became more powerful and once again because I'm sure I had a lot lower levels than anyone else.

Levels:
Luneth-Devout: Level 58, Job:71
Arc-Onion Knight: 57, Job:70 (Biggest downfall being low Magic defense)
Refia-Sage:Level 59, Job:63
Ingus- Magus: Level 57, Job:73 (Defense being the biggest downfall)

I started off the battle with casting Haste on all four, followed by all of my Flare spells for Arc, Refia, and Ingus. I followed up by using Chocobo's Wrath items with Ingus until he died, which was flare basically, and using Luneth's healing as a Devout on each turn.

I'm sure anyone else would have an even easier time than I did with her. The ending wasn't too bad, it was pretty nice. I'm really satisfied with the game, and I hope 4 on DS delivers just as well.

The end game save, and being able to continue playing to do Side quests, like the Secret Dungeon is always a welcome touch as well.

Ushgarak
Onion Knights are not much good unless your character level is 95+- their stats are the lowest of all before then. The magic resistance issue would go away at that point.

To all, I highly recommend a Summoner rather than Magus. Magus spells are rubbish at high end- an odd design issue with the game.

As for game frustration- actually, although I was tense at times, that was never so bad. I certainly got far more frustrated playing Metroid Prime, which has saves all over the place.

JToTheP
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Onion Knights are not much good unless your character level is 95+- their stats are the lowest of all before then. The magic resistance issue would go away at that point.

To all, I highly recommend a Summoner rather than Magus. Magus spells are rubbish at high end- an odd design issue with the game.

As for game frustration- actually, although I was tense at times, that was never so bad. I certainly got far more frustrated playing Metroid Prime, which has saves all over the place.

Magus' Magic isn't that bad actually, every monster in the World Of Darkness, my Flare casts inflicted between 6000-9999 depending on if it was their weakness, or their defense. They just have NOTHING else worthwhile, even with the Ribbons they have no physical defense what so ever. I accidently guarded once during my fight with the Cloud, and she still did 850 damage to Ingus.

As far as Onion Knights go, I only chose them as well because it was hidden, and easily called 'godly' more or less. I have the guide, and I went through all the jobs when I got the 4th crystal to decide my final party. I would of been better off with the Dragoon leveled to 68 that I had, and training a Ninja would of been more help than Flare magic I suppose as well.

I thought Prime 2 was more frustrating than 1, regardless of the backtracking to new areas. I found nothing more difficult than using the Screw Attack across the gap to return after you get the item. It was a nice feature to use to rebound off the two walls to get to certain areas, but not at all designed for distance, even if it was to 'demonstrate' how it worked.

Ushgarak
"Magus' Magic isn't that bad actually, every monster in the World Of Darkness, my Flare casts inflicted between 6000-9999 depending on if it was their weakness,"

Well, ok, not useless, but the fact of the matter is that Summon magic does more damage and you get more casts of it.

The Summoner is an offensive spellcaster that is just better than a Magus, thus making the Magus a kinda pointless class- a strange mis-match which led, orignally, to them integrating summoning elsewhere in later FFs, and I am unsure why they left it in on this re-make.

Meanwhile, I am in danger of heresy here because I preferred 2 to 1.

(hides)

(though it would have been worse if falling out the level killed you rather than just doing damage and a return to the top of the ledge)

General Kaliero
Somewhat disappointing that I got FFIII soon after it came out, got maybe 60% through the game and then got distracted from it for months. Then I start playing again to beat Lana to the end, and she gets there first. (training my new Summoner and Devout now) Ah well.

I thought Echoes had a better story and level design than Prime, but I also say having to sit and let your health regenerate in Dark Aether was a horrible, horrible, time-extension mechanic.

Ushgarak
Lana went a bit manic there.

And I'd agree about that, and likewise the loading of levels beyond a door on Dark Aether causing you to possibly die from health loss- hardly acceptable. But... ah, well, I'll probably do a review of them.

Lana
Somewhat disappointing that I got FFIII soon after it came out, got maybe 60% through the game and then got distracted from it for months. Then I start playing again to beat Lana to the end, and she gets there first. (training my new Summoner and Devout now) Ah well.

I thought Echoes had a better story and level design than Prime, but I also say having to sit and let your health regenerate in Dark Aether was a horrible, horrible, time-extension mechanic.

Hey, I did the exact same thing. Got to Saronia and put it away for a few months.

But hey, you have a Summoner now, right? Hehe...

And yes I went a bit manic, and I'm blaming Ush for that one as I decided there was no way he was going to beat it before me when I'd gotten the game nearly 6 months ago stick out tongue

Blax_Hydralisk
I;m currently at the point were I just got to the new continent and beat the kraken and I'm in the gold mansion. I have a thief, but I don't know how to use him to open locked doors. Whenever I walk tp a locked door it just says it's locked and brings up my list of items. How do I get my thief to unlock the door?

Lana
You either need keys, or to level up your Thief's job level. I think once you get to around 70-ish you'll be able to unlock all doors automatically.

JediKatarn1
Lana...oh Lana? Your name melts in my heart and not in the professional hand;-D. Yes, I know you hate stupid people and I would never question your authority or decision. I'd love to take you out for pizza or maybe a little bit of Italian. Do you dance? Make night romantic. Some of these guys say your not gorgeous or sexy enough, they are full of BS, baby your 100% spectacular in 256 pixels of RGB photoshop color. I didn't PM you or contact you by email becuase you said in your profile you don't want to be contacted so I wanted to be alittle bit flattering. Your really amazing. What are you? A redhead. Oh I like redheads. Don't listen to some of those fools out there. Baby you follow your dreams and persue them. Hope we can talk more, I'm so anxious and excited. ~Cory Morr.

Captain REX
Oh JediKatarn, you won't be missed.

Spartan ll
^^That one had it coming.

Final Blaxican
Can anyone tell me what the status ailment is when there's a line of dots hovering above your head? My black mage can't use any of his magic...

General Kaliero
Originally posted by Final Blaxican
Can anyone tell me what the status ailment is when there's a line of dots hovering above your head? My black mage can't use any of his magic...
I'm thinking that's Silence?

Final Blaxican
Ah. Right on dude.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.