If one religion were the true religion...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Regret
Given life as it is, no stating that God should do things that he doesn't now, or that all of a sudden this one true religion should provide evidence, what would be the characteristics of this religion?

This is assuming that there is such a thing, and if there is one, that its beliefs as they stand are accurate. This is not stating which it is or any such thing, only a brainstorming session as to what such a religion would include given current religious movements' patterns.

These characteristics should not follow statements such as:

It should follow the Bible - Why? Because this is defining what type of religion it should be, not characteristics of said religion. Sorry, this isn't a Bible pushing discussion.

Entirely tolerant - Sorry, but there is no such religion in existence today. Characteristics should follow patterns in current religions, as the assumption is one of them is correct. Sorry, this isn't an "equal rights"/"religion bashing" discussion either.

JesusIsAlive

Imperial_Samura

JesusIsAlive
Are all religions heading
toward the same goal?

(click on link) http://www.comparativereligion.com/conclusion.html

Conclusion

Why should anyone trust in Christianity over Islam, Buddhism, Mormonism, or anything else? It is because there are absolute truths, because only in Christianity is there accurate fulfilled prophecies of a coming Messiah. Only in Christianity do we have the extremely accurate transmission of the eyewitness documents (gospels) so we can trust what was originally written. Only in Christianity do we have the person of Christ who claimed to be God, performed many miracles to prove His claim of divinity, who died and rose from the dead, and who said that He alone was the way the truth and the life. All this adds to the legitimacy and credibility of Christianity above all other religions -- all based on the person of Jesus. If follows that if it is all true about what Jesus said and did, then all other religions are false because Jesus said that He alone was the way, the truth, and the life and that no one comes to the Father except through Him (John 14:6). It could not be that Jesus is the only way and truth and other religions also be the truth.
Either Jesus is true and all other religions are false or other religions are true and Jesus is false. There are no other options. I choose to follow the risen Lord.

http://www.carm.org/evidence/why_believe.htm

Imperial_Samura
Sigh.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by JesusIsAlive

Buddhism is not in slaved to a fictional being called Satan. You do not know anything about my religion.

JesusIsAlive
For former Christians turned Buddhist, atheist, Muslim, or agnostic or any other "religion" outside of Christianity.

Hebrews 3:12
Beware, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief in departing from the living God;

2 Peter 2:21
For it would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than having known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered to them.

Hebrews 10:29
Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace?

Hebrews 6:4-6
For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, if they fall away, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame.

Imperial_Samura
For former Christians turned Buddhist, atheist, Muslim, or agnostic or any other "religion" outside of Christianity.

Beware, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief in departing from the living God;

For it would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than having known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered to them.

Stop, please. The question, in a nut shell, was - "What would the characteristics of the true religion be" - JIA you don't seem to be anywhere approaching such a question.

"Follow Christianity because the others are wrong *Bible quotes*" is not providing your opinion on what characteristics the "true" religion would have.

Shakyamunison

Hebrews 10:29
Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace?

You should learn something about these other religions.

Regret

fini
JIA, if you cant add to the discussion THEN SHUT THE **** UP you Troll !!!!!

sheesh

JesusIsAlive
Originally posted by fini
JIA, if you cant add to the discussion THEN SHUT THE **** UP you Troll !!!!!

sheesh

Man, aren't we ornery. I think you should get up, go outside, and take a deep, deeeeep breath. Then tell yourself: this posting business ain't supposed to get me upset. If it does then I shouldn't be here.

Shakyamunison
Man, aren't we ornery. I think you should get up, go outside, and take a deep, deeeeep breath. Then tell yourself: this posting business ain't supposed to get me upset. If it does then I shouldn't be here.

First off you will not dictate to me where I post.

This is the true JIA.

fini
NOW adding to the topic

IT would be good to have one true religion, but considering that different religions stem from different cultures, it will be hard to make one true religion

MAYBE if all religions had the same basis......... oh wait they do, its just that many choose not to see the similarities.

So the fact that there could be a true religion and everyone else is wrong, wouldn't make much sense. SImply because of the cultures around the world.

fini
OOO, I am not upset, lol

Storm
Again JesusIsAlive, consider whether your post is relevant to the topic, whether it is of interest and helpful to all, and whether it is likely to continue to the point that it annoys others. If it isn' t, then simply don' t participate in the discussion.

JesusIsAlive
Originally posted by Storm
Again JesusIsAlive, consider whether your post is relevant to the topic, whether it is of interest and helpful to all, and whether it is likely to continue to the point that it annoys others. If it isn' t, then simply don' t participate in the discussion.

No problem.

Storm, you seem like a sensible person so if you have time click on some of my threads and go through them. You will see a litany of inane remarks that do not remotely pertain to the thread topic. And this has persisted long, long before I did it this one time. In fact, just click on the Atheism Test thread and you will see what I am talking about.

Just try to be more equitable. I have no problem with complying but it would help if I saw you saying this more often to others.

xmarksthespot
Your threads are inane to begin with, no matter how many fonts you use the only thing that adds color to them is the off-topic comments.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Regret
Given life as it is, no stating that God should do things that he doesn't now, or that all of a sudden this one true religion should provide evidence, what would be the characteristics of this religion?

This is assuming that there is such a thing, and if there is one, that its beliefs as they stand are accurate. This is not stating which it is or any such thing, only a brainstorming session as to what such a religion would include given current religious movements' patterns.

These characteristics should not follow statements such as:

It should follow the Bible - Why? Because this is defining what type of religion it should be, not characteristics of said religion. Sorry, this isn't a Bible pushing discussion.

Entirely tolerant - Sorry, but there is no such religion in existence today. Characteristics should follow patterns in current religions, as the assumption is one of them is correct. Sorry, this isn't an "equal rights"/"religion bashing" discussion either.

Characteristics of one true religion?

Perhaps something along the lines of Taoism, Zen and Buddhism. One true religion should be ENTIRELY personal, and not collective or concerned with communities based on it, such as Judaism, Christianity and Islam are.

One true religion, should not desperately seek converts, but should welcome them with open hands.

One true religion should teach people the power of mind, the dangers of hate, jealousy and greed.
It should not DEMAND people to accept something without understanding it. That is complitely political, and it is neither spiritual nor intelectual.

It should basically follow all the GOOD aspects of each of the religions today.

Alliance
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
Sigh.

yes

If there ever is a world religion, I feel it would be a common spirituality towards a world government. Like the Deism of the American founding fathers, human rights, OBLIGATION to participate in government, and equality under the law are concepts, ordained by a "higher power" that should be pursued through government.

The best part is "higher power" can be anything form a god to natural law, to civic duty...applying to religious and non-religous people alike.

The state is the only organization to have significantly trumped religion. Its wonderful.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.