Top 10 football players in NFL history

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

BobbyD
Okay, this is going to be tough, and I've tried to be as non biased as possible. But my list looks like this thus far (in no order).....

Jerry Rice
Reggie White
Joe Montana
Jim Brown
Dick Butkus
Lawrence Taylor
Walter Payton
Johnny Unitas
9) Emmitt Smith?
10) Anthony Munoz?

Barely missing the cut...Deion Sanders? Bruce Smith? Barry Sanders? Dick Night Train Lane? Ronnie Lott?

Your list/thoughts? smile

BobbyD
Otto Graham? confused

botankus
This kind of topic has the potential to grow to 10,000 posts...each offering their version of the Pope in cleats.

Of course, there will always be "the guy" who lists 8 or 9 CURRENT players laughing out loud - on their own list.

BobbyD
Originally posted by botankus

Of course, there will always be "the guy" who lists 8 or 9 CURRENT players laughing out loud - on their own list.

Indeed, but those who lack a sense of history about the game will likely easily be refuted and/or dismissed. wink

botankus
I guarantee you someone's list will look like this:

1) Peyton Manning
2) Terrell Owens
3) Reggie Bush
4) L.T. (when you ask if it's Lawrence Taylor, they'll be like, "Who??"wink
5) Jerry Rice
6) Jerome Bettis
7) Tom Brady
8) Steve Montana
9) Carson Palmer
10) Brady Quinn

BobbyD

1) Peyton Manning
2) Terrell Owens
3) Reggie Bush
4) L.T. (when you ask if it's Lawrence Taylor, they'll be like, "Who??"wink
5) Jerry Rice
6) Jerome Bettis
7) Tom Brady
8) Steve Montana
9) Carson Palmer
10) Brady Quinn

(sigh) Probably...especially that Steve Montana guy.! eek! laughing out loud rolling on floor laughing

botankus
Me, I'm not sure if I can rank them, but from your list I would keep

Jerry Rice
Reggie White
Jim Brown
Lawrence Taylor
Walter Payton
Johnny Unitas
Anthony Munoz
Barry Sanders

and also add Jack Lambert, Ray Guy, Jack Ham, Mark Bavaro, Dan Marino, Lester Hayes, Fran Tarkenton, Adam Vinatieri, John Hannah, Jim Kelly, Mike Webster....and probably about 50 more that I'm too tired to think of right now.

BobbyD
Hmmm, John Hannah...that was the other OL I was thinking of!

forumcrew

8) Steve Montana

10) Brady Quinn

Hillarious!

However Im not against a current player making the list. Favre? 10 is just too small a list in such a broad game (be a lot easier in say the NBA).. whos to say if some great DB is greater than a great QB or a great DL? its just hard to not do it by position or at least by offense/defense.

DigiMark007
To be objective about this is hard. But you really have to look at players that were the undisputed best at their position, then pick a few others. Probably no QB should be on the list, for example, because you might get 5 different answers from 5 different people of who was the best. But no will can argue with, say, Jerry Rice....unless they're extremely biased.

That said...

Jerry Rice
Reggie White
Lawrence Taylor
Jim Brown (stats and dominance that still put modern backs to shame when basically every other position has been surpassed in the modern era).

Based on stats alone, Barry Sanders is next on the RB list (and unlike most other great RBs, he played on a lot of crappy teams).

For their time, guys like Otto Graham or Unitas....but any great modern QB is better than they were from a purely athletic standpoint. And Montana is the most frequently cited "best QB" ever. Any of those are acceptable choices.

You might even add someone like Ray Lewis. Best LB in the modern era....probably ever, considering the advances in exercise and fitness technology that give the edge to more modern players.

Rod Woodson too, probably.

botankus
Yeah, I think a few current players are justifiable, but I agree with forum that 10 is a very, very small number in the grand scheme and history of the NFL.

That being said, I would give one current player maybe like a #9 ranking (and you're all gonna rib me for this one), but I'd put Adam Vinatieri on that list. As a Steelers fan, I don't like the Patriots, of course, but I have complete respect for the man and what he has accomplished. Believe it or not, I was actually pissed off when he decided to leave the Patriots this past off-season!!!!

Some might question putting a kicker on there period, but when I think of clutch players in the history of the game, he's right up there with the Bradshaws, Aikmans, Montanas, Rices, etc....

Sooo, why not Tom Brady? Meh, I'd put him at #14 or something. How about that?

forumcrew
Tom Brady would struggle on a list of just QB's

manning/montana/young/favre/elway/unitas/marino.. I think they all make it over brady.

master skyler
Where is Tarkenton? lol, there are a bunch of QB's over Brady, like players now. I think the only reason the Patriots were winning and that Brady was doing good is the rest of his team, but im not gonna take Brady's skills away and discourage him, his got talent just not as much as some other people.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.