Christian's sharing their faith

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

marcu
I wonder.

Does a Christian on a board such as this make any impact on those of other faiths? Does the approach a Christian takes determine whether or not your ears/heart are going to be open?

The reason I wonder such things is based on my own story. I grew up with a "Christian" that was forceful and relentless. I got turned off by the idea of God, church, prayer, and bible reading. It was only years later that I let that go and figured out what I wanted for myself.

Is it not better as a Christian to just get to know people first? Take genuine interest in where others are at? Have a little fun? Realize that whatever faith one is, we are all humans here on earth? Of course as a Christian I would like to at the very least challenge people to not give up all together on my God. But if I would come out there judging others, over qouting the bible (if one is not a Christian the bible verses don't mean anything, right? One must believe in the bible in order for the qouting to hold any water.) I would think that if I came in here and judged, blasted, and over qouted to the point that poeple would be sick and tired of me, that I would be turning them farther away from God and thus making me worse off in the eyes of the one I call my Father (God).

So, Christians I ask you. What is your approach? WHat do you think is right or wrong in terms of sharing your faith?

TO those of other religions. What can a Christian here do to engage in conversation that would be meaningful?

The Thorn,

marcu smile

Storm
If believers are willing to present their position in a rational, coherent manner, then they deserve a rational and coherent response, including critical responses. If they are unwilling or unable to present their views in a rational and coherent manner, then they should anticipate being dismissed with little afterthought.

It' s not surprising that people may want to share their religious beliefs with others, but sharing shouldn' t cross over the line into active proselytization.
Believers are welcome to ask questions which will make one think, they are also welcome to ask questions about what one thinks and the doubts you have. But they are not given the license to act as if one were some sort of target for evangelization.

sonnet
Originally posted by marcu
I wonder.

Does a Christian on a board such as this make any impact on those of other faiths? Does the approach a Christian takes determine whether or not your ears/heart are going to be open?

But if I would come out there judging others, over qouting the bible (if one is not a Christian the bible verses don't mean anything, right? One must believe in the bible in order for the qouting to hold any water.) I would think that if I came in here and judged, blasted, and over qouted to the point that poeple would be sick and tired of me, that I would be turning them farther away from God and thus making me worse off in the eyes of the one I call my Father (God).

marcu smile
When Jesus was visited by Satan in the desert Jesus quoted scripture and thus the Word, Satan was not a christian. When Jesus spoke to the people he spoke according to the Word of God, bringing the message of God. They heard what He spoke and believed or decided otherwise. He did not tell them what they wanted to hear, but what they needed to hear. We as Christains were given the task by Jesus to bring the Word of God to the world. Satan is whats turning people away from God , not scripture because people choose to believe the lies. When Jesus spoke to some so called spiritual leaders he told them that they are cursed and will not see the Kingdom of heaven. Today if a christian tells a person that one day he will be judged by God we are called judgemental. Christians will always quote God's word.

JesusIsAlive

JesusIsAlive

Regret
Originally posted by sonnet
When Jesus was visited by Satan in the desert Jesus quoted scripture and thus the Word, Satan was not a christian. You are equating non-Christians to Satan. This is an error. Originally posted by sonnet When Jesus spoke to the people he spoke according to the Word of God, bringing the message of God. They heard what He spoke and believed or decided otherwise. He did not tell them what they wanted to hear, but what they needed to hear. We as Christains were given the task by Jesus to bring the Word of God to the world. Satan is whats turning people away from God , not scripture because people choose to believe the lies. When Jesus spoke to some so called spiritual leaders he told them that they are cursed and will not see the Kingdom of heaven. Today if a christian tells a person that one day he will be judged by God we are called judgemental. Christians will always quote God's word.

There are two fatal flaws with the stance prescribed in this post.

When Christ spoke to lay people Christ did not often quote scripture. He spoke words of wisdom based on eternal truths. Often if he quoted scripture, it was in reference to a very small verse, he would then expound upon the scripture defining why the view of the individual was in error.
Christ did not quote scripture to those that did not know the scripture, and neither did the Apostles. They quoted scripture mainly when debating with the Jewish leaders and teachers, or another that asked a question concerning the law or the scripture in general. The accounts that show events outside this pattern are few.

Your position is further weakened in that until after Christ's death the apostles and such were told only to preach to those that knew, or at least should have known, the scriptures. It was not until following his death that they were instructed to preach to "non-Jews."

Fëanor
I'm catholic, although non-practising--but don't hold that against me--if I want to share anything with anyone online, it's laughter and humour. If I can get that...then I've done my share.

Regret
One should approach others with love. One should encourage others to be "good" people.

Simply asking if they are interested in discussing religion is how doctrinal topics should be approached, and if the person is not interested, it should be left at that. If you are a "good" person, and your life reflects your beliefs, you should stand out as different in some way. People will typically inquire into what it is that makes you such, and typically they will be sincere.

No one should be "pushed" into religion. In my religion, we have these verses as a part of our guidance in this matter:

I think these verses can be applied to sharing ones faith.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.