I finally saw 'Citizen Kane'

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

OB1-adobe
I saw it in a film class and.........uh yeah

Honestly I can't critisize it too hard because I have'nt watched an exhuberant amount of movies from its time, but what in reality who cares anymore besides old farts and people who think they are "film purists" and jump on a band wagon.

Techically it is really neat. All of the compositing and the clarity of the image, and all of the matte paintings, and special effects.

But in reality, I don't care. The character was stupid and boring, the story was'nt anything I was drawn into.

and when I found out what rosebud was I was like..."wow, is this class over now?"

Graveyard Shift
I didn't care for the movie too much, either. I think that it's one of those things, the entertainment factor, than is- that get left behind in the generation it was created in.

Tptmanno1
That was exactly my thoughts. There was some need cinematograpy, but other than that utterly uninteresting.

Solo
I'm not just saying this to be in the film loving 'in' crowd, but guys, it's arguably one of the great accomplishments in film ever. Those who truly respect film won't see it as boring, nor uninteresting. Even if it's dull, you have to admit it was way ahead of it's time, and it deserves a lot more credit than you guys are giving it.

The sad thing is, it's not even Orson's best movie.

Touch of Evil, see it, love it.

-Tired Hiker-
I love that he was in The Muppet Movie. Classic!

Wolfie
Citizen Kane is truly an accomplishment. I think the problem today is people that are drawn to big explosions and explicit sex scenes. I find CK a very interesting story and a nice mystery (for those that haven't had it spoiled by friends or the Family Guy episode).

Jim Reaper
Universal chopped up "Touch of Evil," it wasn't really his film anymore... By Welles own admission. And there is a reason "CK" is shown in film classes across the country, and sits at the top of most critics list, Welles was a genius. You can't watch it once and appreciate its brilliance... Watch it again.

BackFire
You have to keep in mind the time when the film was made. It is hugely influential and extremely important to the medium. It is a very very good film, it introduced new storytelling elements, and of course the obvious cinematography elements, both of which are now seen as basic parts of film.

OB1-adobe
Originally posted by Jim Reaper
Universal chopped up "Touch of Evil," it wasn't really his film anymore... By Welles own admission. And there is a reason "CK" is shown in film classes across the country, and sits at the top of most critics list, Welles was a genius. You can't watch it once and appreciate its brilliance... Watch it again.

Actually we watched it 2 and a half times, damn near 3.

Yes i am giving credit where credit is due. I though t the compositing was brilliant, the cool camera angles, the overall production is absolotley faboulas for its time.

But I absolutly thought the story was stupid, and the characters were dumb. The only one I liked was Bernstein

Sure the special effects in A.I are amazing but the movie is terrible

Rapscallion
Originally posted by Wolfie
Citizen Kane is truly an accomplishment. I think the problem today is people that are drawn to big explosions and explicit sex scenes. I find CK a very interesting story and a nice mystery (for those that haven't had it spoiled by friends or the Family Guy episode).

exactly. CK is an accomplishment. nothing more. it is an exercise in the art of film-making. however with all the technical brilliance it seems that welles has lost sight of why wee see movies. CK is a film that can only be appreciated by those who study film but not the general public, and of the few who recognize its brilliance, that's all they do, recognize it as an accomplishment not as anything that has any sort of emotional significance.how great can a movie be if most people can't realte to or find any meaning in it? i find it incredibly ironic that you criticize the current movie viewing audience for being drawn to movies with sex and explosions, because that's all CK is. a visually seductive dislplay without any trace of why emotion. for all its technical brilliance, Kane has no soul

Solo
Originally posted by Jim Reaper
You do know there's an uncut copy of "Touch of Evil" available? This is the version to which I'm referring, by the way.

Kayne Archeron
the main thing i give this movie credit for is trying things many movies hadn't done before. besides that, it's a pretty depressing story, and i'm not sure i want to see it again

bakerboy
I loved citizen kane. I think that it was one of the best movies ever and very influential. And orson welles did it at the age of 25 years old, what is pretty amazing. And i dont find the movie boring at all, the scenes are very powerful and the dialogue is very good. Only the begining of the film, with Kane saying rosebud and dieing is better than many enterly movies.

-Tired Hiker-
Rosebud was the gay neighbor, right?

Kayne Archeron
Originally posted by -Tired Hiker-
Rosebud was the gay neighbor, right?

no, it was his interspecies-curious horse XD

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.