Liz's dresses and Jack.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

LovelyOne
Ok in EVERY movie..when ever Liz is with Jack..we get symbolism that he is the freedom she needs because he removes the dress and the corset which is symbolic of the restricting life she's forced to lead....she doesn't want her old life and when ever she has these dresses on in movie 1 she loses them when she's with Jack laughing out loud

firstly from the moment he meets her he tears it off and it sinks away into the deep. The first moment Jack touches her he frees her and he allows her to finally breathe..we then see her feisty pirate self come out for the very first time in move 1.

Then later she is made to drop the dress so that she can join Jack and walk the plank...we then see her free pirate like self emerge on the beach with Jack

In movie 2 she loses the dress in pursuit of Jack..and she's her normal pirate self again when she meets him..

then there is another massive and drawn out hint where the dress sinks into the water and it slowly fades away to her new pirate self then Jack appears on the right where we just saw the dress sink.again Lizzie is her feisty pirate self and is at complete ease to be herself when Jack is around

now THATS a lot of symbolism

and its going to end Will/ Liz?

they KEEP making this hint stronger and stronger and stronger and if it was to end Will/Liz then why keep hinting this?

johnnyforever
laughing i love it! that's very interesting...

hazel1
indeed.....

lovethemtigers
This is very true LovelyOne....I wonder if Ted and Terry did this on purpose? Do you think they have even realized their own symbolisms so deeply embedded into this movie? All these things are so true. It's unbelievable all the clues and symbolisms and theories that point to Jack and Liz....yet Disney still refers to this as a Will/Liz love story....go figure....

I'm beginning to wonder if Ted and Terry had any clue as to what they were doing....I think they got in deeper than they ever imagined. I say if they don't put Liz/Jack together then everything about the movies, the theories, the symbolisms and the clues...were all just a big waste of time and one of the biggest goof-ups in Hollywood film history...

LovelyOne
I agree with you..IMO they know what they are doing..but they love to make people guess and throw people off the scent..but when you look at the backbone of the 12 steps and place the story over it. All these little hints appear to fit perfectly with what ever step they are at IMO..and its all Jack/Liz

if they are wise they wont mess with the steps..if they do they can basically go down in history as one of the biggest mistakes in cinema history..IMO they are smarter than that big grin

there is that huge hint at the start and end of the movie..I added something new into that thread and I wonder if T&T added that just so it could end Will/Liz laughing out loud

willofthewisp
This is a really, really good observation. It should be combined with the thread about the symbolism of each of Liz's costumes. We've noticed on Port Royal, she is almost always in yellow/gold, wears a bright color (red) only once when she is taken on the Pearl, and white nearly the rest of the time. Yellow seems to be such a pure, innocent color. Could Jack removing it symbolize that he's indirectly taking her innocence?

LovelyOne
Jack's not taking anything she's doing it all herself. I wouldnt say he is stealing her innocence..she's just growing up when Jack comes in her life.

definition of yellow lol:

Yellow is the color of sunshine. It's associated with joy, happiness, intellect, and energy.

Yellow produces a warming effect, arouses cheerfulness, stimulates mental activity, and generates muscle energy. Yellow is often associated with food. Bright, pure yellow is an attention getter, which is the reason taxicabs are painted this color. When overused, yellow may have a disturbing effect; it is known that babies cry more in yellow rooms. Yellow is seen before other colors when placed against black; this combination is often used to issue a warning. In heraldry, yellow indicates honor and loyalty. Later the meaning of yellow was connected with cowardice.

Use yellow to evoke pleasant, cheerful feelings. You can choose yellow to promote children's products and items related to leisure. Yellow is very effective for attracting attention, so use it to highlight the most important elements of your design. Men usually perceive yellow as a very lighthearted, 'childish' color, so it is not recommended to use yellow when selling prestigious, expensive products to men – nobody will buy a yellow business suit or a yellow Mercedes. Yellow is an unstable and spontaneous color, so avoid using yellow if you want to suggest stability and safety. Light yellow tends to disappear into white, so it usually needs a dark color to highlight it. Shades of yellow are visually unappealing because they loose cheerfulness and become dingy.

Dull (dingy) yellow represents caution, decay, sickness, and jealousy.
Light yellow is associated with intellect, freshness, and joy.

willofthewisp
Yeah, but I mean indirectly. She's making all the choices, but Jack seems to encourage it whereas Will and everyone else shakes their head at it. He's the cause she acts like a pirate on the island and why she does when she chains him. He's the one who lets her breathe and be free of her corset. Maybe taking was the wrong word. I just think there has to be something to her wearing the same color all the time at Port Royal where she's sheltered and a bit caged, and then in a costume similar to Jack's in 2 and blood red on the Black Pearl.

LovelyOne
IMO she's just maturing from child to woman when it comes to being with Jack.

and yeah you do make a good point though..Its not like its a bad thing that her "innocence/good manners" are being taken away..its a movie about pirates lol

that dress looked as dull and dingy in the rain to me..it looks horrible.

"Dull (dingy) yellow represents caution, decay, sickness, and jealousy." big grin

and she actually looks as if something/someone is dead in her life and she is mourning because it/he is missing we then get introduced to Jack in a coffin..

johnnyforever
no expression huh blink wacko so...many...opinions!

LovelyOne
Its funny how they never gave her a white wedding dress.....

"White is associated with light, goodness, innocence, purity, and virginity. It is considered to be the color of perfection.

White means safety, purity, and cleanliness. As opposed to black, white usually has a positive connotation. White can represent a successful beginning. In heraldry, white depicts faith and purity.

In advertising, white is associated with coolness and cleanliness because it's the color of snow. You can use white to suggest simplicity in high-tech products. White is an appropriate color for charitable organizations; angels are usually imagined wearing white clothes. White is associated with hospitals, doctors, and sterility, so you can use white to suggest safety when promoting medical products. White is often associated with low weight, low-fat food, and dairy products."

instead they give her a horrible dingy yellow which symbolizes decay, caution etc..as if the wedding is one big mistake

johnnyforever
you're right it should have been a white dress. but then maybe they didn't do that back then. and btw, i thought they gave her a green dress like a moss? but maybe i'm wrong!

calypso
Then maybe we would think the symbolism was for Kate Moss and Johnny to get back together...hahaha just kidding. Don't jump me...

sailorleo
here's another thing about the dress...it'd gold....equaling treasure! need i say more?

shannstar79
true that : But not all treasure is Silver and Gold mate smile

willofthewisp
I thought it was a fairly recent thing to get married in white. Correct me if I'm wrong, someone, but I think back in the 1600s/1700s girls just got a new, best dress for their wedding. Like they went out and bought something extra special.

sailorleo
Originally posted by willofthewisp
I thought it was a fairly recent thing to get married in white. Correct me if I'm wrong, someone, but I think back in the 1600s/1700s girls just got a new, best dress for their wedding. Like they went out and bought something extra special. yup yup!

willofthewisp
Other thought: even with that custom of just buying a really nice dress and not caring about the color, maybe the writers intentionally had her not in a white dress because they wanted to create the impression she doesn't want to be as innocent as she seems. She wears a lot of white in the first movie and she needed to make a huge transition in the second one. Maybe that's it.

I also like the idea of the dingy gold being compared to mourning, death, like marrying Will will just make her decay.

surfchikpir8fan
im glad she didnt have a white dress cuz could it would of got all muddy n dirty n the rain n jail lol like LovelyOne said - White=cleaniness lol im a clean freak lol! smilesmilesmilesmilesmile

willofthewisp
Makes me wonder if she'll wear yellow in the next one. Give her some blues, greens, pinks. Even blacks! Let her wear some different stuff for Jack to admire her in. I know he wants to spoil her rotten. Maybe he'll pull out a trunk of his plunder and it will be all these gowns he wants to see her in....and help her out of.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.