Iron Man Movie Casting update

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

nimbus006
Robert Downey Jr. has been cast as Tony Stark a.k.a Iron Man in the upcoming 2008 movie. What do you guys think about him playing Tony Stark?

While I think Robert Downey is a good creative actor i dont see him playing Iron Man. Thats just my opinion, maybe somebody can convince me otherwise.

Stupid Rookie
Yeah I am not too big on this one. I guess they picked him because of his alcoholism and stuff, he thinks he can relate to Stark.

nimbus006
lol that was my first thought, but wasn't Downey a drug addict rather than a alcholic? Probably both right... I just saw that there already is a thread related to this topic. So if a mod wants to move it go ahead.

NoFate007
Yeah...I....uh......hm.......idk how to feel about this just yet lol.

He's got potential......not my first choice (though idk who I would cast)...but we'll see.

Hey, at least they didn't ROYALLY screw it up cough*danielcraig*cough

xmarksthespot
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/graphics/packageart/mugshots/rdowneymug1.jpg

Pure Stark. laughing out loud

roughrider
Downey is too old - he's hit his 40's, right?

MattDay
na he looks good for a 30 ish dude, got a lot of years left in him

Zahit
he's perfect for the role!

calvs
That;s some bullshit. He could play bobby brown beter than tony stark.
Give me a day and I can come up with 10 better for the role.

Arashi13
This was disappointing news that Robert Downey jr. was cast. The movie is guaranteed "lame" now.

pr1983
Downey Junior is, imo, arguably the best actor making movies nowadays...

whether he's right for stark, i have no idea...

srankmissingnin
Slap a mustache on him and he'll look the part... and I'm sure he has the mind set of a rich, womanizing alcoholic down pact. Also he usually comes of a bit cocky and arrogant. Seriously... how is he not perfect for the part?

Madacapa
Robert Downey Jr as Tony Stark is perfect casting. If the first movie looks good in the screening room, they should make the sequel right away, because Downey may fall off the wagen from the pressure. Of course, I would still use him even if he was high on cocaine everyday. Hes a great actor. Let him sleep on the set and have the alcohol/drugs brought to him.

Mindship
Downy is a good choice; he'll capture Stark's druggie/boozing/playboy persona just right.

As for his being too old? Please. What a nice change from Not having an actor barely out of diapers playing someone who's supposed to be mature, in their early 30s at least.

Scoobless
Originally posted by calvs
That;s some bullshit. He could play bobby brown beter than tony stark.
Give me a day and I can come up with 10 better for the role.

They can't get Johnny Depp to play every single character in every single film ..... you'll just have to settle for mere mortal actors

Oh yeah... you've had way longer than a day... where's that list?

nimbus006
Gweneth Paltrow has just been cast to play Pepper Potts in the Iron Man Movie.

LORDSIDIOUS01
Robert Downey, Jr is an intriguing choice but might be able to work. How about Terrance Howard as "Rhodey"? What about Gwyneth Paltrow aas Pepper Potts. This film is shaping up to be a possible blockbuster.

Lucid Lui
They're casting thisd movie pretty perfectly so far IMO. Really looking forward to it.

Scoobless
Who is Terrance Howard?

LORDSIDIOUS01
Originally posted by Scoobless
Who is Terrance Howard? Didn't you see Crash with him, Chris Bridges and Sandra Bullock.

spidey-dude
just saw ironman and it SUCKED ! one of the worst movies ever.

nimbus006
You mean the animated movie?.

LORDSIDIOUS01
Haven't seen the Iron Man animated movie yet. Hear its good.

SnakeEyes
I am severely disappointed with this casting choice (Downey Jr. as Iron Man, that is).

Scoobless
Did you know there's an Iron Man animated movie coming out on DVD soon?

Originally posted by SnakeEyes
I am severely disappointed with this casting choice (Downey Jr. as Iron Man, that is).

Why? who would you have picked?

LORDSIDIOUS01
Originally posted by SnakeEyes

Don't like Downey either, but he may prove to be good.

SnakeEyes
Why? who would you have picked?

It's not that I had an actor picked out, but when I heard the news, I was instantly let down by the news. And I still am.

Honestly, he could prove me wrong, but I'm skeptical. I think he'll play the drunk Tony Stark well enough (if they even focus on that aspect at all)... but he just doesn't strike me as a playboy/ladies' man type of guy.

Off the top of my head, Johnny Depp seems like he could do a good job as Tony. He's been mentioned before (in this thread I believe) and I think he could pull it off.

apoc001
Hey, if all else fails, we can just through Christian Bale in.

pinkfloydkor
Did you know there's an Iron Man animated movie coming out on DVD soon?

its already out

its in my netflix queue but it WONT COME

theres like a week wait on it

ive heard its good actually

and about Downey, i dont think he would be my first choice, but i do think that he will play a great stark once he is all suited up (not literally)

LORDSIDIOUS01
Originally posted by apoc001
Hey, if all else fails, we can just through Christian Bale in.

Christian's already Batman. Don't think he'll be Iron Man.

LordFear
Micheal Jai white(from Spawn, Universal Soldiers II and UndisputedII) should be Rhodey. Why the hell is Pepper Gwyneth?
AWWWW stupid casting already. Where is Ms Arborgast? She was there b4 Pepper

Board Walker
Danny Devito for Stark!

LORDSIDIOUS01
Originally posted by LordFear
Micheal Jai white(from Spawn, Universal Soldiers II and UndisputedII) should be Rhodey. Why the hell is Pepper Gwyneth?
AWWWW stupid casting already. Where is Ms Arborgast? She was there b4 Pepper

Didn't realize "Rhodey" knew kung fu. I think the casting is good. Now if they are able to translate it well on screen. Possible hit.

Face
Ironman 2008 can't wait

LORDSIDIOUS01
I can hardly wait to see it.

..::Marea::..
Originally posted by nimbus006
Robert Downey Jr. has been cast as Tony Stark a.k.a Iron Man in the upcoming 2008 movie. What do you guys think about him playing Tony Stark?

While I think Robert Downey is a good creative actor i dont see him playing Iron Man. Thats just my opinion, maybe somebody can convince me otherwise.

Totally wrong!

LORDSIDIOUS01
Originally posted by ..::Marea::..
Totally wrong!

Robert Downey, Jr. might be totally wrong,but as I have seen with various film, the wrong choice turns out to be the right choice. I think we must all wait and see.

wolverex84
well as for the animated dvd, its was a really good movie, i finally came to respect iron man even more now that i saw the movie, fighting earths elements is not an easy job.
anyway as for the 2008 movie for iron, i think Robert can pull it off, although he would not have been my first pick in playing such a role.

LORDSIDIOUS01
Originally posted by wolverex84
well as for the animated dvd, its was a really good movie, i finally came to respect iron man even more now that i saw the movie, fighting earths elements is not an easy job.
anyway as for the 2008 movie for iron, i think Robert can pull it off, although he would not have been my first pick in playing such a role.

This is not about the Iron Man animated DVD.

SpunkySmurph
Originally posted by Board Walker
Danny Devito for Stark! Leslie Nielsen for Stark!

RogerRamjet
howzabout Tony Hopkins for Jim Rhodes? doesn't necessarily have to be a black guy...Tony's just fine..

LORDSIDIOUS01
HUH HUH HAHAHAHAHA. Interesting choices. But Tony Stark was already signed.

jdea
I heard Terrnace Howard was up for the role of Stark? not R. Downey Jr. well it doesn't matter as long as whomever is cast fits how the movie version of Stark is portrayed

LORDSIDIOUS01
Originally posted by jdea
I heard Terrnace Howard was up for the role of Stark? not R. Downey Jr. well it doesn't matter as long as whomever is cast fits how the movie version of Stark is portrayed

Downey is Stark. Howard is "Rhodey" It look very interesting as to how Iron Man is shaping up.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by LORDSIDIOUS01
Robert Downey, Jr is an intriguing choice but might be able to work. How about Terrance Howard as "Rhodey"? What about Gwyneth Paltrow aas Pepper Potts. This film is shaping up to be a possible blockbuster.

i agree, it might be able to work. I think the biggest impact will be the direction by jon favreau.

Hadnt thomas jane played the punisher i would say that he would be a perfect fit for stark. I could see daniel craig filling starks shoes aswell. craig reminds me of a playboy. My friend suggested eddie norton, but i think he is more of a daredevil type. Think norton would have made a perfect daredevil, but thomas jane is still my pic for stark.

LORDSIDIOUS01
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
i agree, it might be able to work. I think the biggest impact will be the direction by jon favreau.

Hadnt thomas jane played the punisher i would say that he would be a perfect fit for stark. I could see daniel craig filling starks shoes aswell. craig reminds me of a playboy. My friend suggested eddie norton, but i think he is more of a daredevil type. Think norton would have made a perfect daredevil, but thomas jane is still my pic for stark.

Thomas Jane and Daniel Craig. HMMMMM, Interesting choices, but they could have worked. What about the guy from the HBO series ROME, Kevin McKidd?

ragesRemorse
Thomas Jane and Daniel Craig. HMMMMM, Interesting choices, but they could have worked. What about the guy from the HBO series ROME, Kevin McKidd?

Is he the guy whom play Vorenus? If so i really dig that guy, havent seen him in many other works, but his performance in Rome was exceptional, but then were most of the actors. He hadnt occured to me, but yeah I could deffinently see that working, even more so than daniel craig. Thomas Jane is still my first fan choice though

LORDSIDIOUS01
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
Is he the guy whom play Vorenus? If so i really dig that guy, havent seen him in many other works, but his performance in Rome was exceptional, but then were most of the actors. He hadnt occured to me, but yeah I could deffinently see that working, even more so than daniel craig. Thomas Jane is still my first fan choice though

Yes he was the guy that played Vorenus.

Wolverine2006
http://moviesmedia.ign.com/movies/image/article/779/779801/iron-man-20070411114247484.jpg

Iron Man's first armor in the movie

LORDSIDIOUS01
Originally posted by Wolverine2006
http://moviesmedia.ign.com/movies/image/article/779/779801/iron-man-20070411114247484.jpg

Iron Man's first armor in the movie

Great suit of armor for Strak. I will assume that towards the end, he will wearing Iron Man's current suit of armor.

ragesRemorse
Great suit of armor for Strak. I will assume that towards the end, he will wearing Iron Man's current suit of armor.

he better. I think that would piss off alot of fans, myself included. The teaser posters for the movie have iron man in his current red and gold armour

Wolverine2006
Of course he's going to be in the Red and yellow armor, I saw some CGI designs for it a while back. I can't find them though, it was on superherohype.com

DarkDethbringer
the movie poster/teasers had an armor they later decided not to use that design but imsure they will have it

ragesRemorse
as long as star isnt black im happy

Board Walker
They should have the actor do did the main role in the movie "The pest" play as Ironman, yes it would be all win.

LORDSIDIOUS01
Take a look at this.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/32509

Validus
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/superdante/untitled.jpg

Yeah, they couldn't have done a better job on the suit.

LORDSIDIOUS01
Originally posted by Validus
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/superdante/untitled.jpg

Yeah, they couldn't have done a better job on the suit.

Co-signed. I love the armor.

Deathstroke
Man, I was just gonna post that. Yeah I really really like the armor.

pr1983
that armour looks sweet... can't wait to see it onscreen...

pinkfloydkor
http://www.darkhorizons.com/news07/070504r.php

ohhhman, that is awesome

check out both of those links on that page

RDJbestIronMan
Originally posted by Arashi13
This was disappointing news that Robert Downey jr. was cast. The movie is guaranteed "lame" now. LMFAO

Zeno The Alien
This thread didn't age well.

nimbus006
Lol, this is surreal coming back on here 13+ years later, not having given this thread another thought since I saw the first trailer for Iron Man, boy was I wrong...LMAO. Never been so happy to be.

riv6672
^^^holy cow this IS surreal. eek!

Scoobless
We're old .....

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by roughrider
Downey is too old

laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud

This thread is a beautiful gem.

Kazenji
Further proof how wrong us comic book fans can be.

riv6672
Originally posted by Kazenji
Further proof how wrong us comic book fans can be.
Ever since Michael Keaton...
We're old .....
...yes we are!
But ever since Keaton, I try and take a wait & see attitude. You can just never tell until the final product.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.