Hercules vs Superman. The discussion.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

olympian
Now, it isent much of a national secret that i enjoy time to time lurking at SHC. The people there are great for the most part, i got to know cool people like X, Imperial and Thorion and theyr respect threads are just marvelous (no, i mean marvelous, not Marvel. Dont start with biases about companies).

One of the most heated debates that sprang recently over there is a Hercules and Superman debate. A debate that Genis started having with some others and that quickly got out of control. Now note, this isent a slant against him, neither blind support. The same can be said to those he was debating against, respect flows both ways.

But as a fan of one of the characters involved, ill try to give the intel i can muster, and my personal opinion in the topics that got my interest over there. This is about Marvel Hercules btw:

A) "Hercules is "the strongest Avenger ever".

Yes, yes. He was called that by the Wasp during the encounter with the Dire Wraits. How revelant is this statement? For those who expected to be alot, sorry but not THAT much. If not a single one of the Avengers strongmen had been called such, it sure would be. But Thor, Hulk and Wonderman have all been called that. The one thing we know by using this kind statement is, who are the strongest avengerS ever. Well, those four are and id also add Gilgamesh to that list. As you can see, to define the single strongest of the bunch we would have to use other evidence.

B) "Is Hercules stronger than the Hulk"?

Depends the state Hulk is at the moment. That should be a non brainer. And no, he doesnt need to achieve *the limitess level* (whatever the heck that is) to become stronger than Herc, Thor or Superman for that matter. Why? Because in comics none of those are *infinite* either.

C) "Is Hercules stronger than Superman"?

The very argument at heart. There are people who think Thor/Herc are sligthy stronger, others who think Superman is sligthy stronger. Personal opinions are a pain to prove when all those have done insane things.
I have mine. And whoever YOU think has the edge strengthwise i belive its clear to tell that they are all in the same ballpark. Saying any of those is "much" stronger or would win "easily" in a fist match (strength and durability only) against the other, is getting too much coffe time.

D) "Superman still wins slugfest. Herc. does not really have a win over somebody on Supermans strength and durability level. That isn't a jobber"

Good old SnoopDawg. What can i answer to this one. Oh yeah. Better ponctuation. Hey, i know mine isent perfect, but jessaz. Good to know you are still the best for laugths.

E) "What are Hercs. best feats of strength? And please no hyperbole feats."

What did i just said? *laugths* You mean as hyperbolic as WW and Superman holding the "entire mass of the DCUniverse" like ive read over here? Well, there is one i can think of actually. We will get back at it later.

G) "So wich Hercules feat is hyperbolic here"?

Not the feat itself but perhaps what was described during the feat. When Thor and Hercules punched an dimensional gate (meaning each one closed a *door* that ended with the destruction of the *brigde*) with sheer strength alone, it was described that between both there was enough power to demolish "worlds".

Now, this is hyperbolic. Why? Because neither Thor or Hercules have a single other example of causing the destruction of several worlds with just the fists. Neither Superman for that matter. Remember the clash between the Golden Age Superman and the post crisis one in the recent Infinite Crisis series? The same thing. Hyperbolic.

H) "But wait! The Earth feat of Herc was stated as well - when doing another feat"!

Ah, it fits that perhaps the most contraversy solo feat for the comic version of the mythical character ends in here. (in the *H* get it? Aw shaddup). So, did it happened? is it hyperbolic? To put it simply and using my opinion: Yes and No.

It did happened and its not hyperbole until this day. First of all, the labours are in continuity for Marvel. The 12 of them (stables too). We have since Herc`s moderm appearances in the 60`s- statements, narration lines and even on panel-flashbacks that sustain that they happened.

The best example to support the Earth feat is exactly the panel from wich he made the Manhattan drag (no, im not using Need For Speed slant here) where the narration states it clean. So why should i use this one that showed up in a narration where the other was hyperbolic? Because the other wasent supported by more evidence. This one is. Keep reading.

I) "ok, ok! But...what about the contriversy PAGE"?

Yes, Hercules does gloat alot. Marvel Hercules at least. But was he lying about it? We know he -was- when -describing the clash between him and Thor-. Not only it contradicted every single other match they had before but we have -statements- from the story itself that he was exageratting. His own remarks about the kid who was a Thor fan and the fact he changed it tells it much. Jarvis reaction when hearing the story as well. But here it is, thats about the clash. What about the retelling of the labours? For him to lie about the Earth feat he would have to lie about every single labour that showed up. They are all in the same page and not one seemed more revelant to his point or important than the other in order to lie about ONE feat. Also, note that you dont have Jarvis reacting badly about it, you dont have Herc thinking to himself how hes lying, a narration hint, the kids calling him a godamn liar, nada.

Add the fact that as said before the labours ARE in continuity...without having a particular panel or text stating he NEVER did it. Not in this story and as much as ive read not in another.

(in this case i dont consider it hyperbolic either because he has done earth class shit most notably against Thor like the infamious armwrestle match).

If you lasted thro all this, cheers to you chump!

olympian
Originally posted by olympian
Now, this is hyperbolic. Why? Because neither Thor or Hercules have a single other example of causing the destruction of several worlds with just the fists
Actually, a sligth repair here. Its hyperbolic because you -dont- have a -single- example whatsoever of either of them demolishing worlds with just the power of they`r fists. This makes what was in the narration in order to embellish the on panel dimensional feat smooth when we dont have anything similiar to give it use.

uff.

Draco69
In a slugfest (negating Superman's flight, speed, heat vision, freeze breath and everything else except strength and durability) I would side with Hercules more often than not due to the fact that Hercules is a much better fighter and his strength is on Superman's level.

In all-out battle between the two, I would side with Superman nearly 90% of the time due to his sheer verstatility. It doesn't matter if Hercules is possibly stronger than Superman. That's only one advantage Hercules would have against Superman's massive array of powers....

Tha C-Master
Agreed.

grey fox
T-vo...

Big Sexy
Originally posted by Draco69
In a slugfest (negating Superman's flight, speed, heat vision, freeze breath and everything else except strength and durability) I would side with Hercules more often than not due to the fact that Hercules is a much better fighter and his strength is on Superman's level.

In all-out battle between the two, I would side with Superman nearly 90% of the time due to his sheer verstatility. It doesn't matter if Hercules is possibly stronger than Superman. That's only one advantage Hercules would have against Superman's massive array of powers.... Remember Hercules has the beard
Gotta love the bearddisguise

olympian

In all-out battle between the two, I would side with Superman nearly 90% of the time due to his sheer verstatility. It doesn't matter if Hercules is possibly stronger than Superman. That's only one advantage Hercules would have against Superman's massive array of powers....
Perfectly acceptable Draco. The big reason why i made this huge thread was because the discussion ended (naturally) about the strength department.

And because the next time a discussion like that ends up here i wont have to type it again.

Oh yes, im lazy.

(and of course the beard adds the factor...and people say he has no versability).

King KAM
Originally posted by Big Sexy
Remember Hercules has the beard
Gotta love the bearddisguise hell it worked for action hank

olympian
Originally posted by grey fox
T-vo...
Is gono...?

badabing

This is a very unbiased and well thought explanation. cool

snoopdogg

C) "Is Hercules stronger than Superman"?

The very argument at heart. There are people who think Thor/Herc are sligthy stronger, others who think Superman is sligthy stronger. Personal opinions are a pain to prove when all those have done insane things.
I have mine. And whoever YOU think has the edge strengthwise i belive its clear to tell that they are all in the same ballpark. Saying any of those is "much" stronger or would win "easily" in a fist match (strength and durability only) against the other, is getting too much coffe time. laughing Whooooooooooo!!!! . So in your very unbiased opinion who is stronger? Herc. or Superman? No crap talk either I need a straight answer.

D) "Superman still wins slugfest. Herc. does not really have a win over somebody on Supermans strength and durability level. That isn't a jobber"

Good old SnoopDawg. What can i answer to this one. Oh yeah. Better ponctuation. Hey, i know mine isent perfect, but jessaz. Good to know you are still the best for laugths.

Who has Herc. defeated in a slugfest that makes you think he can beat Superman? Seriously dude. Don't beat around the bush like you normaly do just answer straight.

olympian
Ah welcome aboard, Snoop, welcome aboard laughing

My heart is all fuzzy now.

MattDay
olympian my friend, you do talk out of ya Ass with a capital A

olympian
What is that Matty? That coming from you?

laughing

olympian
Oh yeah, almost forgot.

Originally posted by snoopdogg
So in your very unbiased opinion who is stronger? Herc. or Superman? No crap talk either I need a straight answer.
Who has Herc. defeated in a slugfest that makes you think he can beat Superman? Seriously dude. Don't beat around the bush like you normaly do just answer straight.
1- The question was answered already.

2- I love beating the bush, Snoop. I love it.

snoopdogg
Oh yeah, almost forgot.

1- The question was answered already.

You basically said they are in the same ballpark. But you didn't say who WAS stronger. If you think Herc. is stronger then so be it that's your opinion, I have no problem with that. IMO Superman is stronger.

R.O.T. Yahman

I also cant see Hercules surving having the moon thrown at him.

IMO Hercules has yet to really prove he can move Celestial Objects, I believe he's in the Wonder Woman category, I.e. he can move pretty much anything land base (Although the effort demonstrated during the dragging of Manhattan, suggest maybe slightly lower) and has strength that can only be measured accurately on the Earthquake Richter scale (Taken from the recent Supreme Power series). As there are characters who are weaker than this in the D.C. universe, who have also hurt Superman (Lex's Luthors armour, Metallo, Hawk man and Steel come to mind), its not hard to imagine Herc severely hurting superman in a sluggfest, and with his superior battle skills maybe winning. Superior durability (I.e. i don't think Herc would last that long against someone with Supes strength, take the Destroyer example as an indication ) and Speed mean that Supes will at least be able to hold his own in a sluggfest. In an all out fight supes wins 9/10.

olympian
Originally posted by snoopdogg
You basically said they are in the same ballpark. But you didn't say who WAS stronger. If you think Herc. is stronger then so be it that's your opinion, I have no problem with that. IMO Superman is stronger.
Exactly that. What is never understandable is who claim either is *much stronger* than the other. I know Genis didnt spelled those exact words but it seemed like he was implying that, regarding Herc being above SM.

Think all you like for either way, but have common sense. If there is a difference between these guys its minimal.

As for myself, you got it. Same ballpark= Herc/Thor and Superman strengthwise are in the same room. I dont think Herc is stronger anymore than i think Superman is stronger.

(again, this is only about strength).

Originally posted by R.O.T. Yahman
I also cant see Hercules surving having the moon thrown at him.

IMO Hercules has yet to really prove he can move Celestial Objects, I believe he's in the Wonder Woman category, I.e. he can move pretty much anything land base (Although the effort demonstrated during the dragging of Manhattan, suggest maybe slightly lower) and has strength that can only be measured accurately on the Earthquake Richter scale (Taken from the recent Supreme Power series). As there are characters who are weaker than this in the D.C. universe, who have also hurt Superman (Lex's Luthors armour, Metallo, Hawk man and Steel come to mind), its not hard to imagine Herc severely hurting superman in a sluggfest, and with his superior battle skills maybe winning. Superior durability (I.e. i don't think Herc would last that long against someone with Supes strength, take the Destroyer example as an indication ) and Speed mean that Supes will at least be able to hold his own in a sluggfest. In an all out fight supes wins 9/10.
Some things there are a bit out of place Yahman.

1- Superman = The Destroyer in strength? We are talking about the *Asgardian Destroyer* here?

2- What are the chances of watching Hercules moving the moon when he cant fly?

3- We basically know he has strength for those *celestial* stuff because he has showed planet moving force before. And cosmic (just like Superman) by shutting down a rift door between dimensions. If you have more than one example where your strength alone is capable of this absurd stuff then your in the big leagues.

R.O.T. Yahman

As for myself, you got it. Same ballpark= Herc/Thor and Superman strengthwise are in the same room. I dont think Herc is stronger anymore than i think Superman is stronger.

(again, this is only about strength).

Buts that you just willing to compromise rather than accepting the real Truth shifty

olympian
Give it up, your not a major shit starter, to begin with devil

R.O.T. Yahman
Give it up, your not a major shit starter, to begin with devil

I know , I never feel the need to 'Start Shit' .... I consider my self an Artist of the Truth cool

olympian
Its "seeker" of the truth.

Now seek your way out, pilgrim!

R.O.T. Yahman
Its "seeker" of the truth.

Now seek your way out, pilgrim!

No i made my own one up .... Maybe Im an AVATAR rather than an Artist. Anyway, i know the Truth, and its my role to Convey it. wink

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.