Thrawn vs Revan.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Crimson King
They each get a fleet of 50 Star Destroyers to command. Their goal is to destroy all enemy ships. All of the Star Destroyers' hyperdrives are removed so the ships cannot escape.

Both fleets start 100 KM apart.

who wins the battle>

Nikkolas
Does Thrawn get a chance to study the art of the planet Revan is from?

Darth Sexy
Revan is the second greatest tactician in the SW galaxy. Thrawn is the first..Thrawn>Revan

Nikkolas
Shame Revan doesn't have the foresight powers of Palpatine or Traya. With that plus his tactical mind he would have been unstoppable. But, since he doesn't, Thrawn wins.

Darth Sexy
Actually Revan was gifted with Precog.. So he does.. And he was unstoppable. Only reason he was finally defeated was because Malak turned on him.

Nikkolas
Thus, he is not unstoppable.

Darth Kreiger
Assuming no treachery is involved, and this is them meeting for the first time, Revan has a very good chance, and he just might go over to Thrawn's Destroyer and kill him

ESB -1138
Thrawn cannot be beat in military tactics.

Darth Kreiger
Originally posted by ESB -1138
Thrawn cannot be beat in military tactics.

Sure he can, and to ammend my last statement, Revan wouldn't go kill him, his Sith Assasins would.

Anyways, all Revan has to do is move in most of his fleet with some supports behind, ship to ship battles, and tactics become worthless, it becomes an even battle, but Revan has his Sith to kill captains

Crimson King
What if I were to say that Thrawn has art that Revan made?

Darth Kreiger
Originally posted by Crimson King
What if I were to say that Thrawn has art that Revan made?

Revan made art? blink

Dunno, despite how looking at a Piece of Art making you know everything about a person does not make sense, it won't matter in up-close fighting, tactics die, and Revan's Sith Assasins can bored the ships and kill everybody

Deus Venèficus
Originally posted by Darth Kreiger
Revan made art? blink

Dunno, despite how looking at a Piece of Art making you know everything about a person does not make sense, it won't matter in up-close fighting, tactics die, and Revan's Sith Assasins can bored the ships and kill everybody

You don't know a lot of military strategem do you? Unless Revan and Thrawn are foolish enough to engage in a pitched battle that is not happening, but it doesn't matter since Thrawn wins anyways.

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/6797/sign7bz.png

Kas'Im
Thrawn is most likely the better tactician, but the chances of Revan knowing battle meditation are high, and so I believe that it would give him the edge against Thrawn.

Darth Sexy
Revan had battle precognition

Kas'Im
That too, which would surely give him the edge.

Darth Sexy
yes it is

jollyjim311
Sure he can, and to ammend my last statement, Revan wouldn't go kill him, his Sith Assasins would.

Anyways, all Revan has to do is move in most of his fleet with some supports behind, ship to ship battles, and tactics become worthless, it becomes an even battle, but Revan has his Sith to kill captains

Yeah, tactics don't men shit! You're not that bright, are you? Thrawn has better tactics than Revan. And why does Revan get an army of Sith? Thrawn has a solid victory.

Darth Sexy
Originally posted by jollyjim311
Yeah, tactics don't men shit! You're not that bright, are you? Thrawn has better tactics than Revan. And why does Revan get an army of Sith? Thrawn has a solid victory.

Solid victory? Hardly. A victory after a long difficult fight is more likely.

Kas'Im
Purely as a tactician, is Thrawn even that much better than Revan? Throw in battle meditation, Echani and battle precognition and other aspects of the force and I don't see how Thrawn's winning this.

Tangible God
I really couldn't say who was the better tactician, but since I believe that Thrawn knows more about how Star Destroyers work and function, I'll give it to him.

Darth Kreiger
Originally posted by jollyjim311

Actually if you read my post, in close Ship to Ship battle, tactics are worth nothing, actually anything in upfront combat destroys tactics, and without them, Thrawn's in the Shithole, especially since Revan can use Force Storms according to people who read this Bane novel

And as to the Sith, I'm assuming he would along with his other Sith soldiers, and Thrawn has Noghri(sp) and any other Imperial things

Kas'Im
Thrawn really just can't win this.

Escape81
Revan is capable of producing Force Storms? As in Palpatine-class ones, or the upgraded Force lightning variants displayed in KotoR?

In terms of sheer tactical ability, Thrawn is superior to Revan. By how much, I couldn't tell you. But Thrawn has been stated, I think, in a few sourcebooks as the greatest ever. He is titled as such in the Hand of Thrawn duology.

I can see Revan winning if he uses the Force to its highest degree. Then he'd simply slaughter Thrawn.

Take his Force powers away, and you have the reverse.

And, since when can Revan use Battle Meditation?

Darth Sexy
Escape is back!!! Wow.. And Revan has Battle Precog, not meditation.

Darth Kreiger
Well he might have learned it from Bastila, or is this pre-KoToR Revan?

Anyways, as said, Revan just needs to move in his ships, where Tactics become useless, then use the Force in anyway possible, knock out a few ships, possibly Thrawn himself

Blax X
And you think Thrawn is just going to stand there as Revan moves in?

Escape81
Originally posted by Darth Sexy
Escape is back!!! Wow.. And Revan has Battle Precog, not meditation.

Yeah. My computer was messed up. And, I took a break from KMC after that mess that happened on EoD (which I've "quit"wink.

Anyways, as I told Illustrious on EoD, precognition is fallible in Star Wars, even when under the command of extremely powerful Force users (ie: Palpatine, Yoda, Luke, ect).

We don't know how handy it'll be. Especially against someone as unpredictable and as skilled as Thrawn.

@ Kreiger:

This isn't sarcasm, but I wasn't aware that Battle Meditation was "teachable". Otherwise, the Jedi wouldn't have been so dependant on Bastilla for their fight against Revan in the first place.

That looks good on paper. But, unfortunately, you fail to grasp that Thrawn is simply better than Revan in tactical ability. He will defeat Revan if it comes down to sheer tactics. Revan's only chance of victory will be dependant on whether or not he can use his Force powers to turn the tide.

If he can, then he'd likely win. Otherwise, Thrawn will kill him.

Darth Sexy
Well in all fairness Escape, Revan's battle precog and brilliant strategies are what got kept him undefeated, so it wasn't fallible when he was using it.

Darth Kreiger
Originally posted by Blax X
And you think Thrawn is just going to stand there as Revan moves in?

Well when you have a Star Destroyer moving at you, you have no where to go, except run, and that won't work, you have to engage, and from there tactics become useless, and Revan's Force powers will be the deciding factor, since it's basically a stalemate there

Crimson King
Well when you have a Star Destroyer moving at you, you have no where to go, except run, and that won't work, you have to engage, and from there tactics become useless, and Revan's Force powers will be the deciding factor, since it's basically a stalemate there

Thrawn DOES have 49 other Star Destroyers to work with.

Escape81
Originally posted by Darth Sexy
Well in all fairness Escape, Revan's battle precog and brilliant strategies are what got kept him undefeated, so it wasn't fallible when he was using it.

He used them against Jedi and Republic tactictions of a considerably lesser caliber than Thrawn. His precognition was fallible; he didn't see Malak turn on him, until it was too late, and that was in the heat of battle.

Not saying that it won't help. It will. But, it's not going to guarentee him a victory.

Deus Venèficus
Originally posted by Escape81
Revan is capable of producing Force Storms?

It was implied in PoD that he learned them from the Ancient Sith, although I'm thinking they were somewhat downgraded from Palps'.

Kas'Im
Erm, the jedi were only so dependant on Bastilla's battle meditation because she was so gifted at it. I'm sure there were others who knew it, just not as skilled at it as Bastilla.

Oh, and Odan-Urr teaches it to Memit Nadill in TOTJ.

Escape81
Originally posted by Kas'Im
Erm, the jedi were only so dependant on Bastilla's battle meditation because she was so gifted at it. I'm sure there were others who knew it, just not as skilled at it as Bastilla.

Oh, and Odan-Urr teaches it to Memit Nadill in TOTJ.

I see.

Well, then, there you go. They were dependant soley on here. I suppose it'd be reasonable to assume that she was the most gifted user that the Jedi had.

It is unlikely that Revan possesses anything close, as he relied on her to use Battle Meditation against Malak's forces at the end of KotoR.

Darth Kreiger
Originally posted by Crimson King
Thrawn DOES have 49 other Star Destroyers to work with.

Umm yea, and Revan has 49 others too, what's your point exactly?

Crimson King
Umm yea, and Revan has 49 others too, what's your point exactly?

Rushing in would get Revan killed. Charging at someone blindly will get you killed, even when your'e a jedi. When Revan rushes for Thrawn's Star Destroyer alone, he's gonna be under fire the whole time. He will not survive to get off a shot at Thrawn.

Darth Kreiger
Shields, they can take the assualts, just gotta charge their weapons for a single all out blast for once he's close, Thrawn's fleet goes Bye-Bye

Escape81
Shields, they can take the assualts, just gotta charge their weapons for a single all out blast for once he's close, Thrawn's fleet goes Bye-Bye

Unfortunately, a blast from a Star Destroyer won't be sufficient to make Thrawn's fleet "go bye bye", considering how Thrawn's ships also possess shields - and he knows far more about Star Destroyers than Revan does.

Thrawn > Revan.

You need to understand that.

The only way Revan will win is if he has some magical Force power that could turn the tide.

Darth Subjekt
how is one charged weapon going to take out an entire fleet? You don't think that Thrawn can do the same?

People people people, this isn't a duel these too are in. I know people are all on Revan's nuts right now cause of Banes book, but this is a strateigic matter here. Who is better than Thrawn at that? No one. Revan was good, but not that good. Provided they both have equal ships/fleets, Thrawn would take this. The only person I've ever heard of taking out a fleet with the force, was Palps. I don't think Revan could do it.

Darth Subjekt
oops, sorry.

Darth Kreiger
Originally posted by Escape81
Unfortunately, a blast from a Star Destroyer won't be sufficient to make Thrawn's fleet "go bye bye", considering how Thrawn's ships also possess shields - and he knows far more about Star Destroyers than Revan does.

Thrawn > Revan.

You need to understand that.

The only way Revan will win is if he has some magical Force power that could turn the tide.

Actually according to various Novels, games, and such, Star Destroyers firing all their weapons at once do quite a bit of damage, so Thrawn can wait for them to come close and lose tactics, or shoot at them from a distance and attempt to keep them, Revan can apparently do both types of Force Storm, and likely tons of other attacks

And about Thrawn knowing more about Star Destroyers, if this is a fair fight, Revan will know the ins and outs, since Revan doesn't live in this Era

Kas'Im
Sure Thrawn is the better strategist, but Revan has the force and that is a huge advantage.

Escape81
Originally posted by Kas'Im
Sure Thrawn is the better strategist, but Revan has the force and that is a huge advantage.

What point are you trying to make? I already agreed; if it comes down to sheer tactics, Thrawn will crush and defeat Revan. If Revan's Force Storm is on par with Palpatine's (which I doubt, considering how his holocron apparently taught it to Bane - who had to combine his might with others to create a Force Storm on par with Palpatine's), then he will be able to win.

Nothing indicates that Revan possesses a Force Storm anywhere near the level of Emperor Palpatine's, and nothing indicates that Revan is as remotely skilled in Battle Meditation as Bastilla is (if he even possesses it at all).

The best he can do is rely on his precognition, which will help him out quite a bit - but it isn't a guarenteed victory.

Kas'Im
It wasn't so much directed towards you, just to everyone who was saying that Thrawn is a better tactician, therefor he wins.

Wait hold up, since when has it been definite that Thrawn is that much better than Revan in regards to tactics? I wouldn't quite say he'd crush Revan, most definitely beat him but crush him?

Oh Revan's force storm is undoubtedly not on Palpatine's level, but I don't think he would have to combine his strength with others like Bane did, Bane was just probably not on his level at that particular point.

But anyways, I wasn't really just talking about the force storm, but also things like Battle Meditation (which he possibly knows), Precognition etc. The force really is a huge advantage.

True, I agree with this.

Well while Bastilla had a particular talent for battle meditation, she was still clearly not as strong as Revan in the force, so I doubt that she would be leagues above him or anything with the skill - clearly better but I doubt by that much.

And I would think that it's pretty likely that Revan knew of BM, it seemed to be a pretty popular trait with jedi at the time, and considering that Revan before his memory wipe was naturally always craving knowledge, it would seem logical that he would put extra effort into obtaining as much knowledge as he could. However, even if he doesn't know BM, he knows other things that would be helpful.

True, it wouldn't be a guaranteed victory, but in my eyes, the force is a huge added advantage. Not saying that it's definitely true, it's just how I see it.

Darth Kreiger
Even if his Force Storm isn't as good, it will still wipe out Ship after Ship

Crimson King
Even if his Force Storm isn't as good, it will still wipe out Ship after Ship

You don't know Thrawn do you? He prepaers for everything. He'll porbably have all his ships packed with Ysalamari. No Force Storm now!

Quinlan_Vos
Hmm, this is tough. Revan is good, very good. But even then, I have to go with Thrawn. He's the master of master strategists.

Deus Venèficus
One way another due to the way teh thread creator made this battle it is going to be nasty. Pitched battles are nasty buisness and I doubt either Thrawn or Revan would ever volentary find themselves using such tactics.

Hell this entire battle is somewhat redicules since it's already preset. Neither commander can really do anything but cross their fingers and hope their crew is better than the other side. It's like two identical cars slamming into eachother at the exact same speed.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.