The Official Prison Discussion Thread

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

lord xyz
I searched for a thread like this, didn't find one.

What are your moral views on locking people up for so many years. Does it stop them? Does it protect society? Is it good, is it bad? Is it just an adult version of "Time out"? Is there an alternative solution?

Yeah, I have a lot of questions about prison, and I think it's a kinda stupid method. But what do you guys think?

Bardock42
I think as long as people ar ein prison they can't harm people outside prison. I dig that. Doesn't need to be the horrible, inhumane kind of prisons you see in US movies, though....

Quiero Mota
Here in AZ, prison is officially for punishment only. No showing them the right way, learning, or any of that crap. So an "adult's time out" pretty much describes it.

lord xyz
Originally posted by Bardock42
I think as long as people ar ein prison they can't harm people outside prison. I dig that. Doesn't need to be the horrible, inhumane kind of prisons you see in US movies, though.... But what about innocent people in prison?

bogen
i think it's good for the big players i.e. serial killers, murderers, rapists and all that yuky stuff that people generally frown on.
But for the common man with no history it should be community service for small things like parking tickets or speeding fines.

Bardock42
Originally posted by lord xyz
But what about innocent people in prison?

In theory there should be none....

lord xyz
In theory there should be none.... But in reality, there are. There are inocent people on Death Row for christ sake!

Bardock42
But in reality, there are. There are inocent people on Death Row for christ sake!

Oh well...

ADarksideJedi
Locking them up will teach them a lesson.But I favor the chair if they had cause a murder.But that is just me.jm

Deano
im against the death penalty

ADarksideJedi
Any reasons why?jm

Deano
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
Any reasons why?jm

yeh. its wrong

lord xyz
Locking them up will teach them a lesson.But I favor the chair if they had cause a murder.But that is just me.jm Yeah, it's not like people have commited crimes after they've been let out of prison. Or when people are killed in the chair, it's not like someone else will follow in their footsteps, or will have similar opinions and views. Jesus Christ.

lil bitchiness
Prison was traditionally never considered to be a punishment. It was marely a 'storage' for accused until their sentence.

It was only recently that we decided that somehow imprisoning people was a good or productive thing.
I really do not see it as being either.

Bardock42
Yeah, it's not like people have commited crimes after they've been let out of prison. Or when people are killed in the chair, it's not like someone else will follow in their footsteps, or will have similar opinions and views. Jesus Christ.

So, what's your solution?

debbiejo
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Prison was traditionally never considered to be a punishment. It was marely a 'storage' for accused until their sentence.

It was only recently that we decided that somehow imprisoning people was a good or productive thing.
I really do not see it as being either. That is true.......executions and such.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I think prisons are good because without them there wouldn't be shows like 'Prison Break'.

Or would there....

de-de-de-deeeeee-de-de-de-deeeeeeeeeeee...

lord xyz
So, what's your solution? Make em, work, or go to school, shit like that. Y'know that community service stuff, but on a larger scale. People commit crimes because they've nothing else better to do, if they work, they have no time to commit crimes.

Bardock42
Make em, work, or go to school, shit like that. Y'know that community service stuff, but on a larger scale. People commit crimes because they've nothing else better to do, if they work, they have no time to commit crimes.

So, they rape your baby sister and then you let them clean toilets in a kindergarden?

lil bitchiness
So, they rape your baby sister and then you let them clean toilets in a kindergarden?

Actually, the percentage of people who are as such is very small in prisons compared to those who commit petty crimes..

Drug users, who should be in hospital and rehab, not a prison. Poor and uneducated people is the highest percentage of people in prisons.

Bardock42
Actually, the percentage of people who are as such is very small in prisons compared to those who commit petty crimes..

Drug users, who should be in hospital and rehab, not a prison. Poor and uneducated people is the highest percentage of people in prisons.

So what do you do with them? The rapists and murderers I mean.

lord xyz
So, they rape your baby sister and then you let them clean toilets in a kindergarden? Obviously they wouldn't do things like that. It'd be something like, a gang member, who's very strong, could be a builder or something that needs strong guys.

Bardock42
Obviously they wouldn't do things like that. It'd be something like, a gang member, who's very strong, could be a builder or something that needs strong guys. Originally posted by Bardock42

lil bitchiness
Make em, work, or go to school, shit like that. Y'know that community service stuff, but on a larger scale. People commit crimes because they've nothing else better to do, if they work, they have no time to commit crimes.

thumb up Prohibition is on the raise. I hope it will be even more so in UK.

There is this false stereotpye that all people in prisons are evil horrible people who should be kept away.

Bardock42
thumb up Prohibition is on the raise. I hope it will be even more so in UK.

There is this false stereotpye that all people in prisons are evil horrible people who should be kept away.

I agree, but....there are people that should be kept away..and prison is quite useful for that.

lil bitchiness

Probation.

Not every person in the prison is a serial killer. People kill for different reasons, and to group them all in one single category would be wrong.

Thus to think a single prohibition for each person who is accused of murder is also wrong, and very ineffective.

Majority of rapists are people who know the victim(s). They should be on Prohibition as well, not left to rot in prison. That certainly is not gonna make world a better place, nor will it clean this world of rapists.

Again, a very small percentage are psycho serial rapists who pick their victims at random. They are too to be worked with. Perhaps then many stereotypes of rapes could be broken and a progression can be made in this filed.

lil bitchiness
I agree, but....there are people that should be kept away..and prison is quite useful for that.

At the moment there is a prison overcrowding, because people like petty drug dealers are put in prison. Certain people, perhaps who are a danger to society should be kept away from society.

But not necesseraly in an insititute full of people who are like minded. Perhaps in a probation centre where people can work on them, make them release their mistakes, and perhaps make a progress.

I believe that leaving them in the same place as the people who have commited terrible crimes is not productive for anyone.

Prison reform, perhaps?

lord xyz
So what do you do with them? The rapists and murderers I mean. Rapists, are looking for sex right? Take em to a brothel. And let them work their.

By murderers, I assume you mean ****heads who don't understand why they kill, therapy usually helps for people like that. (But if we're going to discuss the affects on therapy, we would need a new thread.)

Bardock42
At the moment there is a prison overcrowding, because people like petty drug dealers are put in prison. Certain people, perhaps who are a danger to society should be kept away from society.

But not necesseraly in an insititute full of people who are like minded. Perhaps in a probation centre where people can work on them, make them release their mistakes, and perhaps make a progress.

I believe that leaving them in the same place as the people who have commited terrible crimes is not productive for anyone.

Prison reform, perhaps?

That is probably necessary anyways. But the general idea of prisons is a pretty good one in my opinion.

lord xyz

Prison reform, perhaps? there's another problem with prison.

Lets say you're short on money, so you steal a TV, but you're not very good at it and get caught. You're sent in prison and have 2 or 3 cell mates.

"What're you in for?"
"Stealin a TV."
"How'd you get caught?"
"(Blah, blah, blah)"
"Oh, you should've done this, or if you did this you would've succeeded"
"Yeah do that, or do this"

After he gets let out, he knows how to steal better, and steals without getting caught, all because of prison. Any questions?

lord xyz
That is probably necessary anyways. But the general idea of prisons is a pretty good one in my opinion. Yeah, seperating people who don't fit in with society into a place with other people who don't fit in with society is a real good thing isn't it?

dani_california
If they fixed the drug laws there would be half as many people in prison. I say big time drugs dealers get time and users get community service and rehab. That makes a lot more sence.

Bardock42
Yeah, seperating people who don't fit in with society into a place with other people who don't fit in with society is a real good thing isn't it?

If it is forever..yeah.

lord xyz
Originally posted by dani_california
If they fixed the drug laws there would be half as many people in prison. I say big time drugs dealers get time and users get community service and rehab. That makes a lot more sence. Why should it be bad to be a drug dealer? Just because you didn't think of it first.

lil bitchiness
there's another problem with prison.

Lets say you're short on money, so you steal a TV, but you're not very good at it and get caught. You're sent in prison and have 2 or 3 cell mates.

"What're you in for?"
"Stealin a TV."
"How'd you get caught?"
"(Blah, blah, blah)"
"Oh, you should've done this, or if you did this you would've succeeded"
"Yeah do that, or do this"

After he gets let out, he knows how to steal better, and steals without getting caught, all because of prison. Any questions?

This is a documented phenomenon, of prisoners learning from one another.
For worse crimes too.

lord xyz
This is a documented phenomenon, of prisoners learning from one another.
For worse crimes too. Like murder?

If it is forever..yeah. Prison for life? That's aweful, what makes you say they won't learn their lesson, and what if they're innocent? You only get one trial.

Bardock42
Prison for life? That's aweful, what makes you say they won't learn their lesson, and what if they're innocent? You only get one trial.

Yeah, what if they're innocent? Who cares? If it is a decent prison and not a hell hole....

You get up to 3 in Germany...

lord xyz
Yeah, what if they're innocent? Who cares? If it is a decent prison and not a hell hole....

You get up to 3 in Germany... Yeah, a framed 15 year old (who could've been a doctor or a scientist) in a prison with peadophiles and murderers doesn't seem that bad does it?

Bardock42
Yeah, a framed 15 year old (who could've been a doctor or a scientist) in a prison with peadophiles and murderers doesn't seem that bad does it?

I refer him to my "hell hole" comment.

lord xyz
I refer him to my "hell hole" comment. So what would you do if an innocent person is thrown into a hell hole prison?

Bardock42
So what would you do if an innocent person is thrown into a hell hole prison?

Prove that they are innocent?

lil bitchiness
Prove that they are innocent?

Isn't that what the court is there in the first place? To determine one or the other?

lord xyz
Prove that they are innocent? The jury is biased. Now what?

Bardock42
Isn't that what the court is there in the first place? To determine one or the other?

Exactacorrectly.

The jury is biased. Now what?

Good thing I don't live in a country where a jury decides shit.

lord xyz
Wow, out of all the people who have posted in this thread, only 3 have voted!

lil bitchiness
Ok, I voted too.

Bardock42
Ok, I voted too.

I didn't.

lord xyz
I didn't.

Quiero Mota

Throw them in the hole or GP and let the other inmates deal with them....

Draco69
I think people here need to differentiate the difference between prison and jail.

There are different types of prisons as well.

And state law varies on what crimes committed is punishable by prison.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Draco69
I think people here need to differentiate the difference between prison and jail.

Jail: (Usually) Less than a year.

The Big House: More than a year and much harsh in side.

You can typicallly tell the difference by just looking at the building.

(Who are you referring to? The difference is pretty obvious i think)

There are different types of prisons as well.

Minimum security

Medium Security

Maximum security

Supermaximum security

And state law varies on what crimes committed is punishable by prison.

We know.

BackFire
How can anyone say that prison is bad? It has some problems but what other alternatives are there? Some people genuinely need to be locked up because they are a huge danger to people around them.

Yeah, drug addicts probably don't belong in prison, but prison as a whole is very necessary, especially for violent criminals.

ADarksideJedi
What about murders?jm

Quiero Mota
What about murders?jm

Originally posted by Quiero Mota
Throw them in the hole or GP and let the other inmates deal with them....

Ya Krunk'd Floo
When I think about it, incarcerating people for sentences of 10 years or more is a pretty appalling thing to do. I realise that people who do bad things need to be punished for their deeds, but every person should be treated with an attitude that redemption is possible, shouldn't they? Otherwise, it would seem that their one life is wasted. At the same time, when someone takes another person's life it would seem that the indefinite restriction of their life should be the price they pay. Then again, in cases like manslaughter, the matter is very hard to judge.

Yeah, it's a toughie.

Also, in this one episode of 'Prison Break' there was a guy imprisoned with a bunch of murderers and rapists even though he only stole a baseball card from someone. Seems a bit much...

lord xyz
Originally posted by BackFire
How can anyone say that prison is bad? It has some problems but what other alternatives are there? Some people genuinely need to be locked up because they are a huge danger to people around them.

Yeah, drug addicts probably don't belong in prison, but prison as a whole is very necessary, especially for violent criminals. Well I guess Prison is good for locking up ****heads, but think about it, mst of them have acted sensibly in court, so they can do it, when it's serious.

botankus
I searched for a thread like this, didn't find one.

What are your moral views on locking people up for so many years. Does it stop them? Does it protect society? Is it good, is it bad? Is it just an adult version of "Time out"? Is there an alternative solution?

Yeah, I have a lot of questions about prison, and I think it's a kinda stupid method. But what do you guys think?

I think the title of this thread should have been reserved for KMC users who are actually posting from prison. Maybe a mod can rename this thread, "People who have never been behind bars for a lengthy period of time yet know all sorts of things about the big house" and keep the title of "Official Prison Discussion Thread" reserved for the actual computer-literate murderers? kthanx

lord xyz
Originally posted by botankus
I think the title of this thread should have been reserved for KMC users who are actually posting from prison. Maybe a mod can rename this thread, "People who have never been behind bars for a lengthy period of time yet know all sorts of things about the big house" and keep the title of "Official Prison Discussion Thread" reserved for the actual computer-literate murderers? kthanx ermm Does it matter?

botankus
Yes. I want to read gibberish from actual inmates other than gibberish from free people who are experts at being inmatees.

lord xyz
Yes. I want to read gibberish from actual inmates other than gibberish from free people who are experts at being inmatees. And I'd rather see a Penn and Teller: Bullshit episode on this, but we can't all have our way, can we?

Quiero Mota
I think the title of this thread should have been reserved for KMC users who are actually posting from prison. Maybe a mod can rename this thread, "People who have never been behind bars for a lengthy period of time yet know all sorts of things about the big house" and keep the title of "Official Prison Discussion Thread" reserved for the actual computer-literate murderers? kthanx

I did three years in the Arizona State Penn, so I think I know a thing or two.

lord xyz
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
I did three years in the Arizona State Penn, so I think I know a thing or two. What for?

botankus
Are you on the loose, or were you granted parole?

Either way, if anyone here at KMC is currently using a fork and butter knife to dig their way out of prison, maybe you could help them out by offering better advice.

WrathfulDwarf
Prison is neither good nor bad.

It's Necessary...

lord xyz
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Prison is neither good nor bad.

It's Necessary... how so

WrathfulDwarf
To keep victims safe.

lord xyz
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
To keep victims safe. Isn't that what restraining orders are for?

botankus
Restraining orders don't mean too much if the guy's psychotic:

Take a girl who reports an ex-boyfriend loser for beating the sh*t out of her. He serves 2 years or whatever, then he gets out and she's got a restraining order against him. Well, f*ck that, he's just gonna go over to his house and beat her some more for ratting him out. If he thinks he might go back to prison, he'll probably kill her for two reasons: a) she can't rat on him anymore, or b) if the house is surrounded, sort of like a suicide bomber (he takes his life, too, in some cases)

lord xyz
Well, f*ck that, Yeah, because it's not like the police can track his every move and stop him. I mean, they have CCTV in streets now, I don't think he guy could go there, or even outside his own house.

Quiero Mota
Yeah, because it's not like the police can track his every move and stop him. I mean, they have CCTV in streets now, I don't think he guy could go there, or even outside his own house.

If the psycho is hellbent on doing it, he will. The cameras aren't gonna physically stop him.

botankus
Yeah, because it's not like the police can track his every move and stop him. I mean, they have CCTV in streets now, I don't think he guy could go there, or even outside his own house.

That example I gave happened to my cousin-in-law in rural North Carolina, where there are more dirt roads than CCTV's.

The threats (not from just him, but from about 6 of his "friends" who had no criminal record) got so bad she had to move 2 hours away to Wilmington, NC. She still got threats there, but luckily he was arrested before he or his friends could get to her, so he's doing time now and his friends just wait until he gets out again.

lord xyz
That example I gave happened to my cousin-in-law in rural North Carolina, where there are more dirt roads than CCTV's.

The threats (not from just him, but from about 6 of his "friends" who had no criminal record) got so bad she had to move 2 hours away to Wilmington, NC. She still got threats there, but luckily he was arrested before he or his friends could get to her, so he's doing time now and his friends just wait until he gets out again. See, he got arrested.

botankus
He got arrested for drunk driving in a separate incident, of which he violated his probation and got tossed back into the slammer.

BTW, his friends did not get arrested. They are out and about and have threatened her just as much. Fortunately for her now, she moved to NYC so they're out of her life. None of those jerks has enough gas money to get up there.

botankus
EDIT - Double Post - Stupid computer error.

The Pict
Prisons are needed, no doubt. They keep the animals of our society locked away. I have mixed views on the death penalty but I think that the prison system in many countries is too lenient.

Fishy
Originally posted by The Pict
Prisons are needed, no doubt. They keep the animals of our society locked away. I have mixed views on the death penalty but I think that the prison system in many countries is too lenient.

I have to agree here, and other hand I have to disagree.

Death penalty in sometimes seems deserved but the problem with the death penalty is that it ussually starts with just for the worst murderers caught on video tape and everything and can eventually go to people suspected of murder and or rape and things like that.

Punishments are an even harder thing, putting somebody in jail for the rest of his life seems like a good thing if he's a murderer. On the other hand he might improve his life and never do it again and actually live life like a normal person, so 10 years in prison should be enough and he could rehabilitate in that time. Then again 10 years isn't very long and 50 sounds better but after 50 years you are never going to function again in society.

I guess it depends on what you really want, punishment or rehabilitation....

lord xyz
The Death Penalty really is the lesser of two evils. But that's still not good. and this thread is about Prison, morons who wanna keep the death penalty can talk in the death penalty thread.

Now that that's cleared up, onto prison.

After some deep thought, maybe prison should still stay in countries where it works, and where it is too important to give up. However in Britain, I think we would be better off without it. Same with a few other Euro countries like Germany and Holland.

The Pict
The Death Penalty really is the lesser of two evils. But that's still not good. and this thread is about Prison, morons who wanna keep the death penalty can talk in the death penalty thread.

After some deep thought, maybe prison should still stay in countries where it works, and where it is too important to give up. However in Britain, I think we would be better off without it. Same with a few other Euro countries like Germany and Holland.

I'm pretty sure you were the first person to make a reference to the death penalty.
And do away with prison in Britain! And have thousands of killers and rapists back on the streets? That's a really stupid idea.

Fishy

Do away with prisons? I agree the justice system here doesn't always work and sometimes people who shouldn't have been let out are, but do away with the entire system? Every person that does come out changed is another person who'se life would have been ruined by staying in prison. Sometimes rehabilitation does happen.

lord xyz
I'm pretty sure you were the first person to make a reference to the death penalty.
And do away with prison in Britain! And have thousands of killers and rapists back on the streets? That's a really stupid idea. First person to mention DP: Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
Locking them up will teach them a lesson.But I favor the chair if they had cause a murder.But that is just me.jm

As for the other two points, I think you should look again.

The Pict
What? You say Britain would be better of without it. How many times have you read the paper and heard about people comitting crimes after being let out prison and under "police observation"

The Pict
And also XYZ I said reference to the DP which was you:

But in reality, there are. There are inocent people on Death Row for christ sake!

lord xyz
My friend, I don't think you are safe here, go back to 1 millionth post game, it's where you belong.

The Pict
My friend, I don't think you are safe here, go back to 1 millionth post game, it's where you belong.

Ok don't make a sensible reply to my posts, just belittle a thread you yourself made and your own intelligence by being completely moronic.

botankus

laughing out loud

lord xyz
Ok don't make a sensible reply to my posts, just belittle a thread you yourself made and your own intelligence by being completely moronic. I would if you posted something worth replying to.

Fishy
Well you still haven't explained why Holland and England would be better off without prisons... I'd like to know too

lord xyz
Originally posted by Fishy
Well you still haven't explained why Holland and England would be better off without prisons... I'd like to know too We would be better off without prisons because there are no isolated people. No isolated people means everyone can change society for the beeter. I mean, imagine if Isac Newton was put in prison. His life would've changed and that would hold science back. Or how about if Darwin was put in prison? Maybe me saying we'd be better off might sound kinda dumb because I'm not very good with words.

Fishy
We would be better off without prisons because there are no isolated people. No isolated people means everyone can change society for the beeter. I mean, imagine if Isac Newton was put in prison. His life would've changed and that would hold science back. Or how about if Darwin was put in prison? Maybe me saying we'd be better off might sound kinda dumb because I'm not very good with words.

Yes I completely agree, because both of those people were murderers and rapists who tried to hurt everybody... Of course keeping criminals out of society is bad.

Prisons are necessary of course they can be based on bringing people back into society as well functioning non killing non raping people, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't have prisons at all....

lord xyz
???

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.