Expanding population in a reincarnation paradigm

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Regret
How does reincarnation account for an increasing population? I do not know enough about the subject to answer this myself, and do not want to read through various materials to find the answer.

Alliance
I'm sure you could come up with lots of reasons. Shakya and I never got to this question, its one I also share.

Shakyamunison

Regret

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Regret
So then, by this analogy, does the population fluctuate and go from a large number to a small from time to time throughout eternity? Also, is there any pattern or law governing the series and size of the waves?

It is just an analogy. laughing I don't know the answers to your questions.

Regret
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
It is just an analogy. laughing I don't know the answers to your questions. Alright. I am just curious about it, from my perspective it seems that it could be a fatal flaw in the concept. No offense intended.

Shakyamunison
Alright. I am just curious about it, from my perspective it seems that it could be a fatal flaw in the concept. No offense intended.

No offense taken. I personally believe in Simultaneous Incarnation. Imagine side laded out before you, and all lives being lived at one time. Now your question is made irrelevant. big grin

Regret
No offense taken. I personally believe in Simultaneous Incarnation. Imagine side laded out before you, and all lives being lived at one time. Now your question is made irrelevant. big grin I do not understand this Simultaneous Incarnation. Is this a time irrelevant concept then? As in you are constantly existent in every possible incarnation?

Shakyamunison
I do not understand this Simultaneous Incarnation. Is this a time irrelevant concept then? As in you are constantly existent in every possible incarnation?

To understand Simultaneous Incarnation you have to realize that you are not who is reincarnating. You have one life, and then you die. There is a greater you that lives many lives all at the same time. You could call this you, your true soul, but I call it my entity.

Regret
To understand Simultaneous Incarnation you have to realize that you are not who is reincarnating. You have one life, and then you die. There is a greater you that lives many lives all at the same time. You could call this you, your true soul, but I call it my entity. I think I understand the concept. I do not believe I could accept such a thing though.

DigiMark007
Basically, critics of reincarnation would seem to think there's a finite number of souls (or essences/entities/etc.) to go around. That wouldn't necessarily be the case in most schools of thought that endorse reincarnation.

It's not really an issue if you believe in reincarnation (at least for me)....it's not much of a stretch to believe that not everyone who could potentially be reincarnated is currently here on earth.

Alliance
It is just an analogy. laughing I don't know the answers to your questions.

So I shouldn't mention that a wave is a bad analogy?

DigiMark007
Shaky's right to an extent though. He doesn't know. Neither do I. Or anyone, really.

We can offer theories and analogies, but if you believe in reincarnation, you believe in it. If you don't, fine too. I have my theory on the expanding population problem with reincarnation (outlined in my first post). But it's just that...a theory. I can't offer it as fact (and I don't). But there's empirical evidence I can point to that suggests the strong possibility of reincarnation, so I believe in it, but I certainly can't know everything about it, including this.

I think anyone, eventually, has to accept that there's things about the universe (both spiritual and also tangible) that they don't fully understand. But knowing everything isn't the important part. It's doing what you can with what you do know.

Atlantis001
In the ancient hinduism which is from where all this reincarnation thing came from I remember that I have read that the number of monads(souls) is the same.

But a friend of mine that knows about these things said that its related to the time between incarnations. So, more population means that people stay less time desincarnated, and vice-versa.

fini
And according to hinduism, u can reincarnate not only to human form, but other animal forms. So i guess with the advent of a new mass extinction and population growth in people goes hand in hand , with respect to souls.

Regret
Isn't there an order to reincarnation forms in Hindu belief? Like lowly creatures, and then up until human, then going from dark to light until you become low cast Indian through high level Hindi priest then back to Brahman, all dependant on your actions in each life?

fini
essentially yes.

Alliance
Originally posted by DigiMark007
Shaky's right to an extent though. He doesn't know. Neither do I. Or anyone, really.

We can offer theories and analogies, but if you believe in reincarnation, you believe in it. If you don't, fine too.

You should offer fact, but most religoious people forget that aspect of life.

Regardless, you should at least hava a working model that coud theoretically be true.

Shakyamunison
I think I understand the concept. I do not believe I could accept such a thing though.

It is good that we can agree to disagree. big grin

Regret
It is good that we can agree to disagree. big grin Yes, that it is. On points where belief is the major component I think often it is necessary to be capable of such a thing.

Shakyamunison
Yes, that it is. On points where belief is the major component I think often it is necessary to be capable of such a thing.

I look at it simply:

The unknowable cannot be known; the unspeakable cannot be spoken. No matter how close you or I get to the truth, we are lost to express it. There is always a part of what I say that is wrong, and there is always a part of what you say that is wrong. To think otherwise is to be lacking in humility.

Regret
I look at it simply:

The unknowable cannot be known; the unspeakable cannot be spoken. No matter how close you or I get to the truth, we are lost to express it. There is always a part of what I say that is wrong, and there is always a part of what you say that is wrong. To think otherwise is to be lacking in humility. Agreed, Truths of this nature are impossible to give to another person, one must learn it for oneself

DigiMark007
Originally posted by Alliance
You should offer fact, but most religoious people forget that aspect of life.

Regardless, you should at least hava a working model that coud theoretically be true.

erm

...I offer fact where I can. I can offer plenty of facts that justify by belief in reincarnation. But I'm also responsible enough to recognize my limits.

So no, I wasn't attempting to offer an explanation for this question, because I can't. I don't see it as a problem, or something that threatens my system of beliefs, so why offer something up that would have to be accepted by blind faith? I don't do that sort of believing anymore (I had enough of it as a former Christian).

And I do have the working model you alluded to...outlined briefly in my first post. Again, just theory. But I concern myself more with what I can know and, more importanly, can do to improve humanity.

Mindship
How does reincarnation account for an increasing population? I do not know enough about the subject to answer this myself, and do not want to read through various materials to find the answer.

I've often wondered about that, too. And while the wave analogy is quite picturesque, I believe there is a simpler answer.

Ultimately, all souls come from God.
God is infinite.
Therefore, the soul supply is infinite.

angel

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.