anyone feel like a new amalgam tourney?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

stormfront13
well, we have a lot of new members, and a lot of old members left...and it's been a while since we had one. so who's up for another one? i don't want to run it, i was just thinking about it because there hasn't been one for a while. i was thinking a four mid-level character amalgam tourney. how's about it?

grey fox
I personally loved the Amalgam Tourney but quite a few people disliked it.

darthgoober
I could go for one. But batdude has dibbs on the next tourney.

DigiMark007
People got too good at matching power combos. If there was, say, another herald level amalgam tourney, it's conceivable to have a completely invulnerable character. Juggernaut + Powerful Telepath comes to mind. If it was a team, take out the telepath and Juggs is suddenly vulnerable. Amalgamate them, though, and it's a different story.

Even mid-level, it's too easy to come up with something that's borderline unfair. That's why we initially had to leave the amalgam stuff.

newjak86
Originally posted by DigiMark007
People got too good at matching power combos. If there was, say, another herald level amalgam tourney, it's conceivable to have a completely invulnerable character. Juggernaut + Powerful Telepath comes to mind. If it was a team, take out the telepath and Juggs is suddenly vulnerable. Amalgamate them, though, and it's a different story.

Even mid-level, it's too easy to come up with something that's borderline unfair. That's why we initially had to leave the amalgam stuff. I know what you mean I had a crazy combo if we ever had another amalgam tourny

Alfheim
Sounds like fun though im thinking of some right now.

Scoobless
Originally posted by newjak86
I know what you mean I had a crazy combo if we ever had another amalgam tourny

What combo?

Alfheim
Well Cap and Hulk or Cap and Madrox....well you know me it had to be Cap and something. embarrasment

Soljer
You wouldn't even need to put a telepath on Juggernaut. Just Juggs and the Flash. Then you have a being that reacts faster than eternity ( shifty ) and cannot be harmed in any way, shape, or form.

Perhaps if you had an entirely impartial judge look at the characters before hand, and judge whether they were cheap, impossibly devious combinations of characters, such as Juggs and a telepath or Juggs and the Flash, and rule them out if that were the case, then it would work.

EDIT: Besides, I'd personally like to see a Street-level tourney. I'm tired of all the Green Lanterns and Silver Surfer's flying around on the tournaments on these boards. Let's see some Wolverine fanboyism/bashing! Let's see T'Challa run around punking people!

darthgoober
I think it would be OK, as long as there was a low enough level put on the characters to ensure that the final product wasn't invincible, and the 'No figgin loopholes' rule was in place, to keep people from trying to sneak stuff in.

Soljer
Originally posted by darthgoober
I think it would be OK, as long as there was a low enough level put on the characters to ensure that the final product wasn't invincible, and the 'No figgin loopholes' rule was in place, to keep people from trying to sneak stuff in.

*nods* Go on the honor system, and if someone tries to put in a (damn near unanimously decided) cheap way to victory, they are either barred from using that method, or automatically thrown out of the tourney. The latter would definitely discourage this type of "cheating."

Still putting in my suggestion for a street level tourney, be it amalgam or not.

Blair Wind
'No figgin loopholes' rule was in place, to keep people from trying to sneak stuff in.

shifty I would NEVER do something like that

darthgoober
Originally posted by Blair Wind
shifty I would NEVER do something like that
Yeah, but I might. laughing out loud

newjak86
Originally posted by Scoobless
What combo? Well I was thinking about

Juggernaut+Flash+Green Lantern(Alan Scott)

Juggernaut+Martain Manhunter+Shaman

evil face

Blair Wind
I have a better one erm

Soljer
Well I was thinking about

Juggernaut+Flash+Green Lantern(Alan Scott)

Juggernaut+Martain Manhunter+Shaman

evil face

Why not make it Zoom? He's always been shown as faster than the Flash, even if he doesn't have the same speed force powers. At least that way, you wouldn't have to worry about someone amalgated with Zoom outspeeding you, :-P.

Soljer
I have a better one erm

Does it involve Iceman? big grin.

Blair Wind
not really...but its the best amalgam ever evil face
I dont even need a third character....but I guess I could think of one if need be

newjak86
I have a better one erm I highly doubt that because there are some things in there that are especially nasty among those combos.

Oh by the way out of those five take Juggernaut and pick any combo you want
so it could be Juggenaut+Flash+MM

Anyway Flash has some nice powers I would like to add to an unstoppable brick wall evil face

Sub_Mariner
Flash+Blob+Juggernaut. stick out tongue

Soljer
not really...but its the best amalgam ever evil face
I dont even need a third character....but I guess I could think of one if need be

Describe. big grin.

Blair Wind
.....its best to keep it a secret in case I need it

newjak86
.....its best to keep it a secret in case I need it Your just scared stick out tongue

Soljer
roll eyes (sarcastic) Even if a new amalgam tournament were presented, there would most definitely be rules in place to prevent cheap combos, such as the Juggernaut and the Flash. And if yours is even cheaper...then...it is very doubtful it would be accepted either.

However, for your third character, you could very well add in Iceman (for the unkillable edge) or Flash/Zoom (if they aren't included. Unlimited speed is always a bonus). Or the Juggernaut, for that unstoppability. Or the Surfer, for insane versatility, and power boost.

Though the first two suggestions are definitely the cheaper of the four. stick out tongue.

darthgoober
Juggs, the Eradicator w/T-Vo, Black Flash(for the whole 'he's aways faster' thing).

Blair Wind
Originally posted by Soljer
roll eyes (sarcastic) Even if a new amalgam tournament were presented, there would most definitely be rules in place to prevent cheap combos, such as the Juggernaut and the Flash. And if yours is even cheaper...then...it is very doubtful it would be accepted either.

However, for your third character, you could very well add in Iceman (for the unkillable edge) or Flash/Zoom (if they aren't included. Unlimited speed is always a bonus). Or the Juggernaut, for that unstoppability. Or the Surfer, for insane versatility, and power boost.

Though the first two suggestions are definitely the cheaper of the four. stick out tongue.

I doubt anyone could kill me anyways....evil face nah it would probably be too cheap...but they would individually be within any tourny limits

newjak86
I doubt anyone could kill me anyways....evil face nah it would probably be too cheap...but they would individually be within any tourny limits Killing and beating are two different things
Edit: By the way I chose to show mine because I wouldn't be really scared if you knew anyways because you can't stop
The Emerald Flashernaut anyways and yes I know what the name implies stick out tongue

Blair Wind
....but then people can steal the picks. That is the problem. Kill/beat either one wouldnt happen

newjak86
....but then people can steal the picks. That is the problem. Kill/beat either one wouldnt happen I can say the same about mine stick out tongue

And the problem is if they steal one of my picks they had better be able to use them as well.

Scoobless
I doubt anyone could kill me anyways....evil face nah it would probably be too cheap...but they would individually be within any tourny limits

BANNED!

stick out tongue

laughing out loud ... seriously though... magic users, Juggernaut and Flash types should be banned from all future tourneys

newjak86
BANNED!

stick out tongue

laughing out loud ... seriously though... magic users, Juggernaut and Flash types should be banned from all future tourneys Basically leaving only Superman and Silver Surfer Types right

darthgoober
I can say the same about mine stick out tongue

And the problem is if they steal one of my picks they had better be able to use them as well.
Hey, I just realized you ripped off you Flash/Juggernaut combo from my Runner/Juggernaut combo for AMC's mini tourney. Shame on you.

Scoobless
Originally posted by Sub_Mariner
Flash+Blob+Juggernaut. stick out tongue

Blubbernaut

Scoobless
Basically leaving only Superman and Silver Surfer Types right

Not at all... besides... herald level amalgams just get rediculous... lower power levels are much more interesting due to the larger variety of powers

newjak86
Hey, I just realized you ripped off you Flash/Juggernaut combo from my Runner/Juggernaut combo for AMC's mini tourney. Shame on you. Not really I had already knew mix Juggernaut with speed and you get one nasty guy.

newjak86
Not at all Oh and Thor types.

Basically all you would get is insane energy weilders and people that are physically good in everything and have a number of other powers like flight sad

And some combination of the two

darthgoober
Not really I had already knew mix Juggernaut with speed and you get one nasty guy.
I know. It's a pretty basic combination. Juggs+supperior speed, means that you have someone you CAN'T stop in your face before you can react.

Hey how about this one...

Surfer+Darwin+God Cable. A super psychic Surfer, who evolves as you attack him.

Scoobless
Oh and Thor types.

Basically all you would get is insane energy weilders and people that are physically good in everything and have a number of other powers like flight sad

And some combination of the two

Like I said, amalgam tourneys should be kept to the lower level characters otherwise you end up with almost 16 characters arguing over which one is the most unkillable

darthgoober
Like I said, amalgam tourneys should be kept to the lower level characters otherwise you end up with almost 16 characters arguing over which one is the most unkillable
OK, low level...

Longshot, Domino, pre 'Disassembled' Scarlet Witch.

grey fox
I believe the last amalgam tourney was street levelers as well . The big Kahuna being made up of Taskmaster , Wolverine and venom.

Scoobless
Originally posted by grey fox
I believe the last amalgam tourney was street levelers as well . The big Kahuna being made up of Taskmaster , Wolverine and venom.

Wasn't it Sabretooth?

It was low level but the voting system was extremely suspect (seeing as over half the voters wandered in from the OTF to vote in their one-off comic forum apearances)

But it still made for a much more varied field of characters than the herald level tournament

grey fox
Wasn't it Sabretooth?

It was low level but the voting system was extremely suspect (seeing as over half the voters wandered in from the OTF to vote in their one-off comic forum apearances)

But it still made for a much more varied field of characters than the herald level tournament

Sabretooth ? Maybe ?

You have to admit though it was hilarious when ...(Can't remember his name because I have a shitty memory) Started pm'ing otf posters to vote for him.

DigiMark007
Newjak, I had the exact same idea years ago (during the first amalgam herald tourney) of Juggs, Flash, and Alan. It would be a tough combo to beat. Great minds...

Anyway, the honor system doesn't work. Trust me. People are generally honest, but they love finding holes in the rules that allow them to have advantages.

And the last tourney just ended like a month ago....I'm sure a lot of people aren't too keen on another right now.

DarkCrawler
I am. big grin

When is batdude's tourney coming?

H. S. 6
I want to see a street-leveller tournament.

grey fox
Originally posted by H. S. 6
I want to see a street-leveller tournament.

Same here.

Blair Wind
Anyway, the honor system doesn't work. Trust me. People are generally honest, but they love finding holes in the rules that allow them to have advantages.

shifty never....who would do such a thing

Im game though...its never the same intensity in a regular debate.

batdude123
Originally posted by DarkCrawler
I am. big grin

When is batdude's tourney coming?

Sometime around Christmas. smile

Scoobless
BANNED!!!!

Sorry.... just getting warmed up

evil face

newjak86
Newjak, I had the exact same idea years ago (during the first amalgam herald tourney) of Juggs, Flash, and Alan. It would be a tough combo to beat. Great minds...

And the last tourney just ended like a month ago....I'm sure a lot of people aren't too keen on another right now. Wow really that is cool hurray for us Digi evil face

Anyways yeah its hard to really have a clean system though just based on the nature of the game being trying to find any and all advantages you can bring to the table.

stormfront13
idk, i was thinking mid level characters, like everyone under iron-man or something. with no tp, tk, teleporting body parts off and the such. with definite restriction levels on the strength, speed, and healing factor and what-not. i just think the amalgam was more creative and fun

Blair Wind
shifty

Tha C-Master
Originally posted by H. S. 6
I want to see a street-leveller tournament. Those are always fun.

Soljer
Originally posted by Tha C-Master
Those are always fun.

yes

Scoobless
How about an amalgam tourney with two divisions?... a 4 man Spider-Man level level amalgam division and a 2 man Iron Man level amalgam division

They play out in their seperate tourneys... then the winners and second place teams from each division face off for the final 4 places

no expression

Scoobless
shrug

Accel
How about an amalgam tourney with two divisions?... a 4 man Spider-Man level level amalgam division and a 2 man Iron Man level amalgam division

They play out in their seperate tourneys... then the winners and second place teams from each division face off for the final 4 places

no expression
I don't know what the hell you just said, but I like the way you said it.

I'm game. thumb up

Soljer

no expression

While it would satisfy more people, it would also push some away. Obviously you could compete in either, or both...but many would likely not want to take on the responsibility and trouble of competing in two tournaments at the same time. Hence, you'd likely split the tournament going population.

Unless everyone else tells me Im wrong, in which case....sure! smile.

batdude123
Too bad this thread wasn't earlier. I'M running the next show..... TOUGH COOKIES PEOPLE!!! mad

Soljer
Originally posted by batdude123
Too bad this thread wasn't earlier. I'M running the next show..... TOUGH COOKIES PEOPLE!!! mad

Any indication of what level it'll be at? And whether it will be amalgam or not?

Scoobless
Originally posted by Soljer
While it would satisfy more people, it would also push some away. Obviously you could compete in either, or both...but many would likely not want to take on the responsibility and trouble of competing in two tournaments at the same time. Hence, you'd likely split the tournament going population.

Unless everyone else tells me Im wrong, in which case....sure! smile.

Perhaps some form of combination... maybe give people the option of taking 2 Iron Man level character or 4 Spider-Man level characters

It would add more variety

shrug

jinzin

Even mid-level, it's too easy to come up with something that's borderline unfair. That's why we initially had to leave the amalgam stuff. besides THE BIG KAHUNA was just one amalgamation away from being COMPLETELY unstoppable anyhow.. shifty

Scoobless
Suuuuure he was

stick out tongue

Who?

no expression

stormfront13
bump...anyway, how about having a team VS tourney. like everyone has a team of 5 or 6, and then we compete

DigiMark007
Originally posted by stormfront13
bump...anyway, how about having a team VS tourney. like everyone has a team of 5 or 6, and then we compete

batdude's planning one for this winter. It's kinda hard to do them now, because probably 80% of our regular members are in some level of school, and this is a busy time of year. So it shouldn't be much longer.

I don't know the details, but it's supposed to be a 3-person herald team tourney (teams of 2 forum members though, like the last one).

Scoobless
I don't know the details, but it's supposed to be a 3-person herald team tourney (teams of 2 forum members though, like the last one).

I hope not... that's exactly what the last one was...I'm kind of sick of herald level tourneys at the moment

no expression

newjak86
Nothing is for certain yet Scoobs. Everything stil has a lot of hammering out left.

leonidas
I hope not... that's exactly what the last one was...I'm kind of sick of herald level tourneys at the moment

no expression

that's cuz you suck. erm

stick out tongue

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.