When did Rock-N-Roll die?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Madacapa
Can anyone out there tell me the date when Rock-N-Roll officially died, and what was the last Rock-N-Roll record/cd?

Da preacher
Rock & Roll is alive (& it lives in Minneapolis)

Madacapa
Originally posted by Madacapa
Can anyone out there tell me the date when Rock-N-Roll officially died, and what was the last Rock-N-Roll record/cd?

I am actually quoting myself because I really want to know. I grew up listening to rock-n-roll, but I haven't heard it on the radio for several years now.

lord xyz
Can anyone out there tell me the date when Rock-N-Roll officially died, and what was the last Rock-N-Roll record/cd? It's still around, it's just disguised as alternative.

Quiero Mota

In my opinion, circa 1980.

amity75
When Buddy Holly died?

lord xyz
When Elvis died?

Tptmanno1
Never?
Its still around, and if you remember, Rock and roll has never really been mainstream, its just a bit less so now.

§P0oONY
Rock 'n' Roll's shit.

vintageSW77
but THE CRAMPS rule

knight
Rock 'n' Roll will never die, as long as there is someone who remembers IT.

vintageSW77
tommorow

Jack of Blades
didnt die to me atleast

SpaceMonkey
It died when little squeaky-voiced punks started being labled as "Rock stars". What happened to adults being the real musicians and leaving young little kids to the "Pop music". Even as recent as the early nineties there were actual talented musicians making their voices heard(STP, Pearl jam, Alice in Chains, Metallica, RHCP, Nirvana). The few that are left now are the last vestiges of a bygone era. I a preparing for the day when bands featuring whiny "rich kids" as lead singers and all that "Emo" crap gets flushed down the toilet where it belongs.

Tptmanno1
If you can tell me a time when Alice in Chains and Metallica was as mainstream as the "Emo crap" you discribe, I'll concede my point.

SpaceMonkey
Alice in Chains was NEVER mainstream, and that's my point. This "Emo crap" IS mainstream, so the essence of Rock is what's dead. .

Tptmanno1
No your missing the point.
If real rock was never mainstream, why should mainstream shit-rock or whatever make you assume that rock is dead. Rock is not dead, its simply not mainstream.
Try Audioslave, The new Chili peppers, Tool, Dream Theater. There are so many bands that are alive and kicking, but just don't get radio or MTV playtime.

SpaceMonkey
OK, I get your point. Maybe I'm looking for more recognition for them. Not to the point of mainstream, but at least some props. Back when the bands I mentioned were in their prime they got props, albeit not in a mainstream fashion. Today we get crappy rock rammed down our throats.... that's the way being mainstream works today.

Tptmanno1
yea..
More good bands go unnoticed and unrecognized...

JohnnyDo3
its still alive coz it was never forgotten in the first place but soon this POP bubblegum bullshit will die

SpaceMonkey
Originally posted by JohnnyDo3
its still alive coz it was never forgotten in the first place but soon this POP bubblegum bullshit will die

Man, I hope so!!!

Madacapa
Rock & Roll: 1954-1991

The first...
"Rock Around the Clock" (1954) by Bill Haley and his Comets (recorded April 1954) was the first number one rock and roll record. This song is often credited with propelling rock into the mainstream, at least the teen mainstream. At first it had lack-luster sales but was later included in a movie about a raucous high-school, Blackboard Jungle, which exposed it to a wider audience.

The last...
Metallica was the band Metallica's fifth album, released August 13, 1991 through Elektra Records. It is also called The Black Album...

Lana
Hello, opinion.

vintageSW77
Whilst THE CRAMPS are still going ROCK N ROLL lives on!

http://www.thecramps.com/

Madacapa
Originally posted by Lana
Hello, opinion.

Its not an opinion; its the truth.

Lana
No, it's your opinion.

YOU think rock and roll is dead.

There are many who would disagree.

SpaceMonkey
Hey, let Madacapa be. He also thinks Kevin Federline is the new Rap God!!! LOL!!! smile

Madacapa
Originally posted by SpaceMonkey
Hey, let Madacapa be. He also thinks Kevin Federline is the new Rap God!!! LOL!!! smile

Kevin Federline has become a Hip Hop God; that is true. It is also true that Rock-n-Roll died in 1991. I wish I was lying, but I am not. Denial is the first stage of grief.

Dr. Strangelove
One word: Audioslave

There, rock and roll is not dead, case closed.

bogen
rock still thrives in bands like jet and the darkness.

Originally posted by Dr. Strangelove
One word: Audioslave

There, rock and roll is not dead, case closed.
them too do forgive

lord xyz
At al the posts in this thread, mine is the only one that made sense.
Originally posted by lord xyz
It's still around, it's just disguised as alternative.
stick out tongue

Alpha Centauri
Foo Fighters; Mainstream enough for all ages, accessible enough for most people, extremely credible, great rock 'n' roll, great live band.

End of thread, you can all leave now.

-AC

Madacapa
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Foo Fighters; Mainstream enough for all ages, accessible enough for most people, extremely credible, great rock 'n' roll, great live band.

End of thread, you can all leave now.

-AC

First, this thread is not ending. It will take years to break down the reasons for the death of Rock-n-Roll. Second, if you want to leave you can go. This is not a prison.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.