potc is a melodrama

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

katelovespirate
sadly I am in university right now, which means i get to research lots of junk that has nothing to do with real life.

however, I am doing a presentation on the melodramatic theatre and art form, and its interesting to note that Pirates of the Caribbean franchise is on the top of the popular movies list that follow a typical melodramatic pattern. perhaps this will assist us in how we look at 3.

some basic requirements of the melodramatic show/film:

1. melodrama appeals to the audience on the basis of ACTION... the characters generally do not THINK, they DO. hence, they often find themselves in very strange and difficult predicaments.

2. the PLOT is not the strong point of a melodrama. It takes a backseat to getting the characters into outrageous situations that the audience cant imagine them escaping from... but of course they do.

3. there is a basic premise of morality in which all melodramas celebrate the plight of the poor man, and condemn big business or authority.

4. music is used to heighten emotional tension. each character has their own theme, which plays when they enter or are being spoken of.

5. melodramas are sentimental and optimistic. they pan out like a GAME... they build suspense, tension, surprise, but dont generally have a lot of substance. it does not flow in a steady progression but rather has peaks of action.

6. Endings always contain arbitrary scenes of poetic justice. couples are paired off, villains get what they deserve, the good guys triumph.

7. Here is the layout of the essential characters in a melodrama:

-Hero (generally poor or underpriviledged)
-Heroine (upper class, but in some way considered the victim.)
-the comic (usually ethnic in some way, he is the highest paid member of the company, and the most loved)
-soubrette (the working girl with good manners who is devoted to the heroine)
-villain
-villain's sidekick (their assistant who they usually kill off towards the end)
-heavy woman (heavy here having an emotional rather than physical connotation)
-light comedy characters (lower class people who provide comic relief)

there are more, but these are the basics. i think its very clear to pinpoint each other these characters in POTC.

my point of posting all this info is that though writers seldom follow a strict melodramatic pattern anymore, the WHOLE premise of POTC EXACTLY fits the basic structure of a melodrama. To turn tables last minute and end it as a tragedy (which has a completely different structure and character pattern) would be bogus. it wouldnt work.

katelovespirate
by the way, i typed this all straight out of my book... just so you know it really does fit POTC perfectly and I didnt bend any info.

LovelyOne
this just makes me more bitter about PotC..I didnt pay to se this shit lol

I thought Jack was gonna get her..but I guess he's just the comic who's feelings get trampled on

katelovespirate
Originally posted by LovelyOne
this just makes me more bitter about PotC..I didnt pay to se this shit lol

I thought Jack was gonna get her..but I guess he's just the comic who's feelings get trampled on

don't feel bitter.

like i said, they apparantly threw out the ending pattern and are switching over to tragedy. which means anything goes.

plus they played with the lines in 2. Jack acted more as the hero than the comic in 2, IMO.

LovelyOne
I dont find it funny that Jack fell in love with Liz became brave enough to protect her and then got shat on from her "royal ass"

shannstar79
do you think that Liz has no feelings for Jack, I truly think she does
I dont think its over between them by any means

katelovespirate
remember in Princess Bride, Inigo? He was a side character with a task of finding his father, while the real hero (Westley) braved hell and high water for Buttercup.

Now Will embodied the hero (albeit a clumsy one) in 1, but in 2, he veered off course and Jack took over the protection and saving of Elizabeth.

LovelyOne
he always does..Will never saved her life once lol

AARGHH thats just pissed me off even more now lol

shannstar79
yep your right Will has always set out to save her but never has, Its always been jack who has saved her and her whom has saves jack
Wild

katelovespirate
why? i am sorry i didnt mean to piss anyone off.

i meant to bring hope that they will have an ending with poetic justice and happy people.

shannstar79
girl I am not pissed of at all, I enjoy talking about all of this I am just happy I have people to talk about it with my friends think I am nuts because I love this stuff smile hehehe

LovelyOne
no lol just the thought of the fact Jack has always been the more deserving one of her..He saves her all the time and they are ending it Will/Liz..T&T are cold man..he deserves her so much..I mean he's obviously never been properly loved by anyone and he really does care for Elizabeth

shannstar79
yes he does care about her, and thats what is sad, I hate to see jacks feeling for her put out there for all to see and then be crushed when and if she marries will on AWE

katelovespirate
dude, they are killing will. i wouldnt exactly call that ending it will/liz. but i havent read the script, i dont know what the connotation of that all is... confused

plus, i am not sure, but i think i might rather will and liz end up together than will just die. i dont want him to die. sad i wish there was a way for all 3 of them to be happy. and i think there is, too. its obvious. Liz and Jack, Will saves his dad and ends friends with Liz. big grin pretty clear to me.

LovelyOne
He doesnt dieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee laughing out loud

thats why I'm pissed off the most..Jack is the main character..they have shown the main character fall for a girl..and the girl leaves him.If this was just to show the audience what a relationship with Jack could look like but still end it where he is alone..I think they are ****ing stupid

katelovespirate
oh gee i dont know what to say.

i have LOVED all of t and t's previous films. in most ways i trust them.

i think they know what they are doing.

i HOPE they know what they are doing.

LovelyOne
its funny how they always make the girl end with the rogue..who thought his life was perfect until he sees what he's missing..

katelovespirate
yeah. seriously. now is not the time to break that mould, because its a time honored tradition and the best loved way to end things. big grin

LovelyOne
makes sense of what elton John says in my siggy

that theme can be matched in with Zorro, Aladdin, and Shreck

what happened at the end of Zorro 2?

katelovespirate
makes sense of what elton John says in my siggy

that theme can be matched in with Zorro, Aladdin, and Shreck

what happened at the end of Zorro 2?

zorro two wasnt as good as one... but it was okay.

elena and alejandro are married with a kid, but alejandro's constant need for fame and attention really bother elena. she eventually kicks him out of the house, and meanwhile she gets roped into spying for the us government or they will kill alejandro. in order to spy on this bad guy, she has to pretend to seduce him, and her employers also make her divorce alejandro.

she sends him divorce papers and looks like a tramp as she tries to seduce this other man who is a total scumbag, but eventually she and alejandro end up in this super hott swordfight in which she explains why she was doing all that but she still thinks they shouldn't be together... which alejandro responds to by grabbing her and making out with her.

lots of drama goes down, but they survive and remarry and end the movie in a hott kiss, as usual.

willofthewisp
That bothers me about Elena's character. She's not a nag, but becomes one. That's just how I see Liz becoming if she and Will marry. I'm not convinced anyone will die or will not die. And to be fair, I've never saved my fiance's life and I feel we are worthy of each other, lol. Will tries, and that's what matters. Jack is just in the right place at the right time.
Jack does deserve her more because he seems to need her more. Will needs someone else. I think he could be "Jack" for some girl, just not Liz.

CaptinJackLover
i totally agree!

althoiugh ive said many times that Jack deserves her becasue he has saved her more you have proven me wrong and i totally agree with what you said. Jsut because Jack has saved her mor times doenst mean Will has TRIED or WANTED to do that for her. You could tell he wanted and tried to be her hero.

But the reaosn he isnt is becasue he isnt the right man for her! Its just a different way for Lzi to realize who the man in her life should be!

Jack is there more and saves her more, that means he will be the one there for her more, and when she needs it.

Fate is just intervening so poor Will doenst have a chance. If Will was the right man for her than he would be the one always there.

Will needs someone else to be there for. Liz doenst really need will to be her hero or love of her life. Thats why Jack is there, he is just there to get Liz's attention and make her realize HE is the man she needs!

LovelyOne
Number of times Jack has saved Elizabeth so far:

1. When he first met her he saved her life
2. When the man was about to hit her over the head with a rifle.
3. When Barbossa was about to shoot her
4. He saved her from the Kraken once
5 IMO he was going to stay again.

Will:

you cant even count that time where Will saved Liz from the cave..if Barbossa was gonna slit her throat he would have..and Will being stupid would have been too late again...Jack was going to save her again but Will knocked him out roll eyes (sarcastic)

Jack deserves Elizabeth more than anyone..Liz is a cow for not respecting him enough..

LovelyOne
Why cant she notice that she is the ONLY one Jack will save like that..he NEVER puts himself at risk to save anyone else..when its Will or anyone else its all negotiations and Jack has his own life at top priority but when It's Liz in danger *bam* he's right in there without even caring about what could happen in the long run..I know he doesn't know Liz at first but he still saved her without caring that the guards would come..later on he saved her life from that man and risked getting shot from the other boat..when Barbossa was about to shoot her I think thats what gave him the balls to actually shoot Barbossa..I bet he would have never done it had Liz not been in danger.

there is a huge difference in character with Jack when it comes to Elizabeth being in danger...and when it comes to himself or anyone else being in danger he acts differently..he's not brave.

lovethemtigers
Why cant she notice that she is the ONLY one Jack will save like that..he NEVER puts himself at risk to save anyone else..when its Will or anyone else its all negotiations and Jack has his own life at top priority but when It's Liz in danger *bam* he's right in there without even caring about what could happen in the long run..I know he doesn't know Liz at first but he still saved her without caring that the guards would come..later on he saved her life from that man and risked getting shot from the other boat..when Barbossa was about to shoot her I think thats what gave him the balls to actually shoot Barbossa..I bet he would have never done it had Liz not been in danger.

there is a huge difference in character with Jack when it comes to Elizabeth being in danger...and when it comes to himself or anyone else being in danger he acts differently..he's not brave.

Because this is a stupid movie, written by stupid men...who have no idea how women really feel....all indications of this movie tell me that Liz should be in love with jack....but I don't think that's the case anymore...and I've really felt this way before Lovelyone and Katelovespirates started talking about the leaked ending.....I have just had a bad feeling for a while - but everyone always shot me down and tried to life me back up. I have been on a rollercoaster ride since this dang movie came out....but IF (not saying it is a done deal) Will and Liz end up together (Liz admits she never had a thing for Jack) then the whole entire movie of DMC was a sham....I love the character of Jack - I would have been perfectly happy watching him be his happy go lucky witty self....and not that serious sexy man in love at the end of DMC...then to be betrayed by the ***** Elizabeth.....because if she has no feelings for Jack...then she has used him the entire movie..she has flirted with him and led him on ...she is a true Pirate...even more so than Jack...and the hate I saw on her face when she chains Jack scares me and the hateful look when she gets in the longboat and Will asks where is Jack...the woman is demented....and she is the product of Ted and Terry...I DON'T LIKE THE FACT THAT SMART, CLEVER, WITTY JACK HAS BEEN OUTSMARTED BY THAT WOMAN...AND THAT WHAT IS MAKING ME SO MAD IF IF IF IF IF IT IS GOING TO BE ALL WILL AND LIZ IN THIS THIRD AND FINAL CHAPTER OF THE POTC TRILOGY....

Why else does Fate Intervene...not to stop the inevitable..but to prevent the "never can be"...so if if if if if if it is Will/Liz...then why did they have to add that line in. They should have just let Lord Beckett say "Ah a wedding interupted....a woman will go through great lenghts when she is kept from her true love...she'll even risk her neck to save a friend to get to the man she loves..." or something like that...why add Jack in there....and the scene where Norrington says "It's a curious thing"..should have been a deleted scene...it was not needed. The dress sinking to the ocean - delete that scene, it's meaningless. AHhh all the clues and symbolisms are driving me bananas......

LovelyOne
LOL demented

you know what..I think they are making it look like jack is the davy jones like one..where he gave his heart to a woman and she doen't love him in retun..so this is going to be a lesson to Jack:

"never fall in love again Jack..women are bitches..so treat them like that or you will end up like Davy Jones and you dont want that..Oh look there's scarlett and Gizzele, the whores from Tortuga..go on be with them..and catch some STD's whilst you are at it..blame them of course"

lovethemtigers
LOL demented

you know what..I think they are making it look like jack is the davy jones like one..where he gave his heart to a woman and she doen't love him in retun..so this is going to be a lesson to Jack:

"never fall in love again Jack..women are bitches..so treat them like that or you will end up like Davy Jones and you dont want that..Oh look there's scarlett and Gizzele, the whores from Tortuga..go on be with them..and catch some STD's whilst you are at it..blame them of course"

laughing yeah....Jack and his whores, a truly beautiful ending to a great trilogy. Love it. I hope Elizabeth rots in hell for what she has done to Jack. I guess the KTTC pple were right...eunichy Will deserves her...but he better watch out, cuz Liz may get mad one day and make him a eunich for real, ala Lorena Bobbit.

I hope in the end she is begging Jack to love her and he tells her "sorry Luv, no Jackie for you. YOu had your chance and now it's too late...go be with that Welp you claim to love so much.".... smokin'

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.