Crimen Sollicitationis

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Storm
Canon lawyers say the document was so obscure that few bishops had ever heard of it. For another, they say, secrecy in canonical procedures should not be confused with refusal to cooperate with civil authorities. The 1962 document would not have tied the hands of a bishop, or anyone else, who wanted to report a crime by a priest to the police. The document would not have been made for the purpose to cover up denunciation of an act of sexual abuse, but because the Holy Office had responsibility for dealing with serious violations of the sacrament of penance.

Canon lawyers disagree about the extent to which the document is still in force.

Alliance
I've never heard of the document. Does anyone have a hard copy?

I wouldn't be surprised though, given Ratzinger's sketchy history in the church. Just skeptical.

Storm
Crimen Sollicitationis

Alliance
Ahh...The BBC. Why can't documents be short, like under 3 pages?

I'll have to read it. Disturbing this is.

Maybe the Catholic Church is trying to protect the tradition of molesting children?

Regret
Originally posted by Storm
Crimen Sollicitationis It is quite an interesting read. It does not appear in my reading to support outside discipline/punishment of clergy that are found to participate in these activities. But then, I am biased in that I believe the Catholic Church avoids public punishments for these things due to the public embarrassment of the Catholic Church caused by it. And because it threatens the infallible Pope concept, imo. A concept brought about through Papal infidelity.

Alliance
It also brings the church under the laws of state.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.