Hulk and the pocket universe

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SupersKillsHulk
Can someone give some information about how the Hulk gets his infinite strength? I've been told that the Hulk can access infinite strength from a pocket universe through his gamma radiation. However, I haven't been able to find anything about this. I've always thought it was the gamma radiation itself that gave him his strength. Any info would be great.

Accel
As far as I know, the whole "pocket dimension" thing started when the Hulk's official bio tried to explain all the extra mass he gained when he transformed. The state that all his extra mass and strength are presumably extradimensional, however the same description can also be found for Doc Samson and She-Hulk, which would basically mean they too gain their strengths from pocket dimensions.

Overall, that's just another reason why I don't like going by handbooks.

The only time Hulk actually DID have a pocket dimension in him in the comics was Post-Onslaught. This version had a pocket dimension linked to the Heroes Reborn universe (as verified by Dr. Strange and the Surfer) that made him stronger. Unfortunately, the energy flux was also messing with his body and it eventually nearly killed him,s o they had to sever the link. The whole thing only lasted about ten issues or so.

Dinalfos
The pocket universe is actually a relatively plausible explanation for his strength. I like the idea. We know he has the strength, but its origins are a mystery.

manjaro
yes this theory has been going around for a while now, but it could also be that just like sue richards he pulls energy from hyper space...me personally ive long suspected that he and banner just switch bodies the same way that darkhawk switches places with a powerful android thats powered by his mind...and the simple fact that here is a different hulk incarnation for each personality i wouldnt be surpised if there werent a multitude, of hulk bodies in transtemproal limbo just waiting to be swtiched out, dpending on banner's pysche

SupersKillsHulk
Originally posted by Accel
As far as I know, the whole "pocket dimension" thing started when the Hulk's official bio tried to explain all the extra mass he gained when he transformed. The state that all his extra mass and strength are presumably extradimensional, however the same description can also be found for Doc Samson and She-Hulk, which would basically mean they too gain their strengths from pocket dimensions.

Overall, that's just another reason why I don't like going by handbooks.

The only time Hulk actually DID have a pocket dimension in him in the comics was Post-Onslaught. This version had a pocket dimension linked to the Heroes Reborn universe (as verified by Dr. Strange and the Surfer) that made him stronger. Unfortunately, the energy flux was also messing with his body and it eventually nearly killed him,s o they had to sever the link. The whole thing only lasted about ten issues or so.

One of the problems I have with the whole pocket universe concept is that it violates the laws of physics in this universe. If the Hulk draws his power from another universe, it violates the laws of thermodynamics, which state that the universe is a closed system in which no mass/energy can be created or destroyed. The idea of a pocket universe, particularly one where an infinite amount of power can be taken from, creates the possibility that possibly an infinite amount of mass/energy can be introduced into this universe.

By the way, are you certain that the pocket universe that the Hulk had access to was only for ten issues? I ask because I've been having an ongoing argument with a Hulk fan who states that this has been an ongoing thing for years and years.

Accel
Originally posted by SupersKillsHulk
One of the problems I have with the whole pocket universe concept is that it violates the laws of physics in this universe. If the Hulk draws his power from another universe, it violates the laws of thermodynamics, which state that the universe is a closed system in which no mass/energy can be created or destroyed. The idea of a pocket universe, particularly one where an infinite amount of power can be taken from, creates the possibility that possibly an infinite amount of mass/energy can be introduced into this universe.
I wouldn't worry about it. It's comics. People do these things all the time.

By the way, are you certain that the pocket universe that the Hulk had access to was only for ten issues? I ask because I've been having an ongoing argument with a Hulk fan who states that this has been an ongoing thing for years and years.
Well, I don't believe it was ever officially stated he lost it, meaning no one on panel that it was gone.

I guess it's open for debate, but I prefer to believe he lost the pocket dimension until Marvel states otherwise.

SupersKillsHulk
This person I'm debating says that because the Hulk gets this power from the pocket universe, he's not subject to some laws in this universe. For instance, the Hulk has been hit by beams of antimatter. Now, normally antimatter and matter will annihilate each other. Since the Hulk is made out of matter, he should've been destroyed. I say the reason he wasn't was pure PIS, but he says he's different from regular matter because he gets this power from the pocket universe and thus antimatter has no effect on him.

Also, I say this pocket universe stuff is a recent concoction by Marvel writers to shore up how he can get infinite strength. He says that Stan Lee and the old writers already had it in mind, as well as all the different personalities like the Professor, Devil Hulk, Guilt Hulk, etc. I say that they were making the stuff up as they went along. Any opinions on these points?

invisiblewoman
Originally posted by manjaro
yes this theory has been going around for a while now, but it could also be that just like sue richards he pulls energy from hyper space...me personally ive long suspected that he and banner just switch bodies the same way that darkhawk switches places with a powerful android thats powered by his mind...and the simple fact that here is a different hulk incarnation for each personality i wouldnt be surpised if there werent a multitude, of hulk bodies in transtemproal limbo just waiting to be swtiched out, dpending on banner's pysche

interesting take on the topic. i like your point

MightyEInherjar
I like the idea of the pocket universe, or something like it. I always thought that would be an apporpriate explination to some of his feats, like the antimatter ones stated above.

To me, it seems like a mystical sort of thing that would end up getting explained by Strange, how Hulk taps into the mystic force of 'strength' or something like that. I could also see their being an access to another dimention in Banner's head that was released during his accident, and continued to open at different times, like Cyclopes' eyes.

Galan777
Can someone give some information about how the Hulk gets his infinite strength? I've been told that the Hulk can access infinite strength from a pocket universe through his gamma radiation. However, I haven't been able to find anything about this. I've always thought it was the gamma radiation itself that gave him his strength. Any info would be great. Well I'm not sure about all of this, but one thing we can be fairly sure of is that Hulk's strength comes from more then just Gamma Radiation.

The Beyonder, a being whos power is truly Infinite said this about the Hulk:
http://img145.exs.cx/img145/1226/beyonder6ca.jpg

The Hulk is "an infinity of power" according to The Beyonder. That should say enough wink

SupersKillsHulk
Although the pocket universe explanation does make sense on several levels, it still violates key laws of physics. Of course, most comics do, but some people try to argue that this comic book science could be scientifically valid. I readily admit that half the stuff Superman does, particularly the Pre-Crisis stuff, is ridiculous and often violates the laws of physics.

Also, one problem I have with using the pocket universe to explain why antimatter doesn't annihilate the Hulk, due to him being sort of extra-dimensional because of the pocket universe, is the fact that so many other things from this universe do affect him, like certain kinds of lasers, beams, magics, etc. Why is it that this one thing, antimatter, which should be able to destroy anything physical in this universe, doesn't affect him? If anything could destroy the Hulk, it should be antimatter, since matter, which the Hulk is made of, and antimatter, naturally annihilate each other. Seems like the writers got their science wrong there.

Dreampanther
Some interesting comments...

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/07/0702_030702_thehulk_2.html

Dinalfos
Originally posted by Dreampanther
Some interesting comments...

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/07/0702_030702_thehulk_2.html

They are absolutely right. His strength increase is not completely realistic, from a scientific standpoint. But they seem to forget something here. And I don't think I need to tell you wat it is.

Dreampanther
You mean that The Hulk ain't really real? big grin NNNOOOOOO!!!! Next you're gonna tell me there isn't really a big fat man in red clothes climbing down our chimney at the end of each year... AAAAAAARRRGGGHHHH!!!

Tell you the truth, I have never been able to come up with a satisfactory explanation of where the Hulk's size and strength comes from - and I don't think I ever will! Perhaps that is why he is one of my top-favourite characters - because with him you can simply sit back and relax and enjoy the ride.

With Batman, and Punisher, and all the rest, I am always on the lookout for that inconsistency, that mistake that inevitably creeps in and makes it unrealistic. But with characters like Lobo and Hulk, one need never fear it will BECOME unrealistic - because it is so completely over the top already!

I think the explanation I have read here that I like the most is where Hulk and Banner actually switch bodies - it does away with the need to try and explain where he gets his size, mass, density and strength from, without "drawing the energy out of the air" or something corny like that...

Dinalfos
Originally posted by Dreampanther
You mean that The Hulk ain't really real? big grin NNNOOOOOO!!!! Next you're gonna tell me there isn't really a big fat man in red clothes climbing down our chimney at the end of each year... AAAAAAARRRGGGHHHH!!!

Tell you the truth, I have never been able to come up with a satisfactory explanation of where the Hulk's size and strength comes from - and I don't think I ever will! Perhaps that is why he is one of my top-favourite characters - because with him you can simply sit back and relax and enjoy the ride.

With Batman, and Punisher, and all the rest, I am always on the lookout for that inconsistency, that mistake that inevitably creeps in and makes it unrealistic. But with characters like Lobo and Hulk, one need never fear it will BECOME unrealistic - because it is so completely over the top already!

I think the explanation I have read here that I like the most is where Hulk and Banner actually switch bodies - it does away with the need to try and explain where he gets his size, mass, density and strength from, without "drawing the energy out of the air" or something corny like that...

Dammit, you weren't supposed to know mad wink

But seriously, it also has something to do with the fact that he's science born character with a superhuman/supernatural powerset. When it comes to superhuman stuff, only internal logic really matters. Given the fact that Hulk is not human(neither in mind nor in physique) and possibly connected to some sort of extradimensional universe, there's no real need to rationalize his powers and appearance.

But yeah, as long as there actually IS a sufficient explanation(even if it's still unknown to us), there's really no problem at all. All they have to do is come up with something like the "strength force" or a "mass force" ( Happy Dance ) and all scientific quibbles you could possibly have are nulled. Well, as long as you keep internal logic in mind.

Dreampanther
rock

Juntai
If you want a more realistic comic, try reading something besides heros.

MightyEInherjar
Originally posted by Dinalfos
... really no problem at all. All they have to do is come up with something like the "strength force"...

I've always thought that would be a fitting idea...Flash has the Speed Force, Hulk could have the "Strength Force." In turn, it could explain all the supernatural abilities and the little elements of magic related to the Hulk.

Mindship
Personally, I find the idea of a "pocket universe" something of an overkill. My own explanation (posted a while ago in a Hulk thread) involves just one universe: ours.

---------------

"The Hulk's power is ultimately grounded in psionics.

The gamma rays changed those parts of Banner's brain which affected aggressive feelings, behavior and strength--the "fight" part of the fight/flight response. They also skewed his brain's ability to sense the universal psionic field (yknow, the one so many other heroes tap into). When Bruce gets pissed, that ability kicks in, creating an intense, but localized conversion of energy into matter.

The energy comes from the quantum vacuum, a frothing of virtual particles. These ghost particles are empowered psionically. This is where all the Hulk's mass comes from: matter out of the vacuum of space, being adapted by his Fight response. It also provides the virtually unlimited wellspring of energy from him to draw on, as he gets angrier and angrier.

This also explains why his pants are nigh-indestructible. The Hulk may be monstrous but he's still human. At a deeply unconscious level, Bruce's modesty is still fractionally intact. As the pants are damaged, they are instantly regenerated (as best as possible), just like the Hulk's body regenerates (only living tissue takes longer cuz it's more complex).

This further explains why the Hulk can see astral (psionic) forms."

manjaro
that would be killer if you were writing his official bio or something but I think body swapping is more straight forward beucase of one main reason...when doc sampson had f ****ed with bruce's mind. it caused him to tap into his own psyche on a more profound level..so much so that bruce had to convene with a few of his other selves, and be like "cmon guys this Multiple presonality bullshit is getting out of hand, i think we should time share."

Also, i remember a big fight between him and abomination in TIH#25(the one b4 emil was caught the first time) and bruce, fixit, and the professor were at a nexus point in his own psyche, and they were cousneling him that he needs to accept betty's death, but he refused and went the way of savage..then boom it was that hulk that emerged....

and we've all seen the famous images of doc sampson's counseling sessions then when all the myriad hulks saw an opening they were all racing to be the first one to get out..then the devil hulk was giddy with excitement, that bruce has showed him a way out...so even tho no writer has been ballsy enuff to explore this thoery and discard the old pocket domesion nonsense , i still maintain that they switch bodies from a trans temporal nexus that exists in bruce's mind

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.