Why DO so many People Hate Heavy Metal?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jack of Blades
I just dont understand it.People odnt like punk ROck too very much(Well i dont listen to it)

-hh-
this is simply a generalization.

Impediment
Generalization, indeed. Metal is alive and thrashing. So is punk and hardcore.

The Core
Metal is alive and well. Punk and hardcore, I have to disagree, namely because pretty much every band that's lumped into those categories have lost sight of what the genres once stood for.

It's a totally different form of music, bastardizing once great genre labels, for the sake of selling their music. Even the last of the great hardcore bands like Hatebreed went the Metal-core route. The lyrics are still the same, and the progression was natural, and the message has never waivered, but the traditional elementso f hardcore music are long gone in todays music.

One thing for sure, hardcore isn't hardcore anymore. Especially with bands like Saosin, Terror, underoath and the like mucking up the place. Same thing goes for punk. It's pretty much all commercialized angst put to music and eyeliner.

Darth Jello
The problem with metal is how commercialized and outright cartoonish it gets. I mean this is spinal tap and metalocalypse are so acurate its funny. Hardcore and punk are also in a slump but hopefully if things go as planned and we can get a rehearsal space in the next month, i'll try to do something about it.

JohnnyDo3
Why DO so many People Hate Heavy Metal? <--- Hell I love metal the people who hates metal are d LAMERS cause they can't HANDLE it they rather listen to linkin prick, limp dickshit and Butt**** boys

Impediment
Originally posted by The Core
One thing for sure, hardcore isn't hardcore anymore. Especially with bands like Saosin, Terror, underoath and the like mucking up the place. Same thing goes for punk. It's pretty much all commercialized angst put to music and eyeliner.

All of these goddamn emo bands like My Chemical Romance who have the balls to call themselves punk are, indeed, a smear.

Jack of Blades
Hey linkin park isnt bad too but i love metal too

The Core
Linkin Park is a pop band. There's nothing wrong with pop, because The Beatles were pop, as was Jimi Hendrix at one time. Pop just means popular, and they were by all means, and for good reason. LP's a mutt, and given we're past that stupid "nu-metal" token, they're still a pop band.

Punk and REAL Hip Hop enjoy success underground, where those genres belong. If you're making money, biting the hand that feeds you, by signing a contract, you're more or less a "walking contradiction", which is funny, given that's the title of one of Green Day's songs off of one of the most profitable albums. The world's biggest pop-punk band.

JacopeX
Originally posted by Jack of Blades
I just dont understand it.People odnt like punk ROck too very much(Well i dont listen to it) Well to tell ya the truth.....Im starting get into Metal and rock....Theres an increase right big grin

el_barto
I think NoMeansNo are one of the few bands that are keeping punk alive today.

tabby999
Cines got it. All the lines are getting blurred in punk and hardcore, but metal still has plenty of bands doing the right thing. But i think bands can sign a contract and hold their integrity. sure some bands do try to hard to be "punk" or "metal" (Amen for example, in an article Casey Chaos said after they recorded all the songs for their latest album they took all the catchy songs and scrapped them...morons).

bogen
you want punk, sex pistols you want metal, metalica.

The Core
Sex Pistols were about as punk as The Ramones. Besides, they were only around for less than 2 years, and their behavior got them more publicity than their music. They were part of, not the start of, a movement.

Jack of Blades
Never Heard of Sex Pistols but i do like Metallica

§P0oONY
People don't like heavy metal because they are emo bitches who don't understand any music except popish/punk shit.

§P0oONY
Never Heard of Sex Pistols but i do like Metallica

You've never heard of The Sex Pistols?... What the f**k?

vintageSW77
Punk Died in 1983.
What the kids of today are calling Punk isnt Punk at all.
Never Mind The Bollocks by THE SEX PISTOLS is a classic album and this cannot be faulted and despite the image that Mclaren created there are some f****ng outstanding tunes on there that sound fresh today.
Punk came along in 76 inspired by THE NEW YORK DOLLS and Iggy Pop ..True The Sex Pistols were part of it ...not the creators... but they were a very important part of Punk in the UK at least as were THE CLASH,SIOUXIE and countless other uk punk bands.
My knowledge of US punk extends to Black Flag,The Ramones and a few others thats about it.....but the PISTOLS were Punk in 76 in the UK and always will be.

Jack of Blades

BobbyD
I just dont understand it.People odnt like punk ROck too very much(Well i dont listen to it)

Jack, this is just me, though I think I may speak for the majority.....sometimes you can't hear the words, and it tends to sound like noise then. If something doesn't sound melodic, AND you can't hear the words? Puh...not good music. Again, that's just me-though I think a lot of non heavy metal fans feel the same way. erm

However, what I think might be noise-you make think is harmony....and that's all that really matters.

Quiero Mota

The reason I don't like it is because it just sounds like soundbites of a car accident being played over and over agian.

Plus, I'm all about lyrics, ey.

Alpha Centauri
Because people who claim to "love" MUSIC often can't love MUSIC without words, which are -- weirdly -- nothing to do with the music at all.

-AC

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Because people who claim to "love" MUSIC often can't love MUSIC without words, which are -- weirdly -- nothing to do with the music at all.

-AC

If you're referring to my post, carnalito, I dont know what you're trying to accomplish. I prefer lyrics in a song, unless the song is intended to be an instrumental.

And I've never made a post saying "I love music"; cars and guns are my passions as well as my areas of expertise.

Alfheim
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
The reason I don't like it is because it just sounds like soundbites of a car accident being played over and over agian.

Plus, I'm all about lyrics, ey.

Yeah I can understand that, but metal can have some very good lyrics. Metal is not for everyone I used to like hip hop (well still do but not as much), but I prefer alternative now. In my opinion metal is more intense and not every one has that mindset.

In saying that I was listening to method and busta rhymes yesterday, sometimes hip hop makes you wanna just.....

BobbyD

-AC

Interesting.

But what about classical music?

S.C.U.D DF
Check out (HED) P.E. Probably the best band around right now. In my eye's. Lyrics are hard, meaningfull. And what they preach is how they live.

Also Kottonmouth Kings are a great band. They just dong give a **** and do what they want.

Mushroomhead is awsome insane if your into somewhat horror/lsd/keyboard.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
If you're referring to my post, carnalito, I dont know what you're trying to accomplish. I prefer lyrics in a song, unless the song is intended to be an instrumental.

And I've never made a post saying "I love music"; cars and guns are my passions as well as my areas of expertise.

I was referring to people who make that kind of remark. If you prefer songs with lyrics, that's cool with me, your preference.

My point was that it makes no sense for someone to act like they love and adore music when they need text to enjoy the experience.

Originally posted by BobbyD
But what about classical music?

What about it? I don't remember Mozart being a lyrical genius.

-AC

Nellinator
My friend loves Archenemy. Singing like that (and then my shock when found out it was a girl) and the fact that I can't hear the words really makes it suck. That said, I really like the instrumental work in Archenemy.

Alpha Centauri
You mean that music part? You like the music?

Well...this may come as a shock...but...that's the main part.

-AC

Bardock42
I like lyrics....they i,prove my enjoyment when listening to a song...nothing to do with AC said..just generally speaking....I try to be the debbiejo of the Music Forum.

BobbyD
What about it? I don't remember Mozart being a lyrical genius.

-AC

laughing out loud

No, silly. I think you misunderstood me. ...was actually defending your point in previous post....that classical music falls into a category that does not have any lyrics....thus purely instrumental. Does classical music to YOU fall in this category?...the category that one usually likes music ONLY because they can hear the words, when it really has nothing to do with words, period? Did that make sense?

Bardock42
Originally posted by BobbyD
laughing out loud

No, silly. I think you misunderstood me. ...was actually defending your point in previous post....that classical music falls into a category that does not have any lyrics....thus purely instrumental. Does classical music to YOU fall in this category?...the category that one usually likes music ONLY because they can hear the words, when it really has nothing to do with words, period? Did that make sense?

There's "classical" music with lyrics....usually great lyrics too....nothing to contribute...fits in well with the debbie theme.

nick1811
Originally posted by S.C.U.D DF
Check out (HED) P.E. Probably the best band around right now.

laughing out loud

Nellinator
You mean that music part? You like the music?

Well...this may come as a shock...but...that's the main part.

-AC
Ya, but I like lyrics a lot. That's why I like country. Bad singing and lyrics can ruin good instrumentals and bad instrumentals can ruin a good lyrics.

Bardiel13
Originally posted by JohnnyDo3
Why DO so many People Hate Heavy Metal? <--- Hell I love metal the people who hates metal are d LAMERS cause they can't HANDLE it they rather listen to linkin prick, limp dickshit and Butt**** boys

THIS, ladies and gentlemen, is why people hate metal. Love the music, sure. Of course, take offense when someone tries to bash it. But, NEVER EVER go on a rant like this. "Metal is teh superior! Anyone who doesn't is a lil emo kid who listens to Linkin Park lol!" No. Respect other people's taste as you would want yours to be. It's cocky attitudes like this, which gets us (especially those Black Metal kids), a bad rep as bitchy elitists. Shut up, brat. So what if we listen to music that's more "kvlt" than the girl who sits next to you in geometry class. You know, the one with the HIM hoodie? Be modest about it for the love of God. Hell, for all I know, you could listen to Slipknot and Korn and the like. You'd get eaten alive by "real" metalheads.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Nellinator
Ya, but I like lyrics a lot. That's why I like country. Bad singing and lyrics can ruin good instrumentals and bad instrumentals can ruin a good lyrics.

An instrumental doesn't have lyrics, first off.

Second, if words can ruin music for you, then I suggest you take a long look at your views before saying you love music.

-AC

Jack of Blades
Well Good lyrics can make the song someone is playing sound even beter

Alpha Centauri
Well Good lyrics can make the song someone is playing sound even beter

They can't make it SOUND anything, they're words.

I assume you mean vocals, which is a sound. I've done this debate to death anyway.

-AC

Bardiel13
Originally posted by Nellinator

What does that have to specifically do with metal?

BornToRule

i think that when you mention the word "HEAVY METAL" ppl almost in all cases are thinking a bout the worst examples with ppl screamin and trhowing guitars all over the stage. Altough i like some songs with "screaming". Because i dont generally like the "bang your head in the wall" kinda metal, i have got my ears on "power metal" witch often has Good singing (even with pop standards). So when you say you listen to metal ppl Gets the image of screamin ppl trashing up the stage.

And i can say that atleas here in sweden the metal fans seems to be fewer and fewer by the minute. All they do is listen to hip hop and POP-techno

vanice
let me ask this question, why do so many people love heavy metal? stick out tongue

BornToRule
Originally posted by vanice
let me ask this question, why do so many people love heavy metal? stick out tongue

Are you meaning in a positive or negative point of view dude..

vanice
I have nothing against heavy metal, I'm just wondering why it's so popular.

tja!

BornToRule
i would rather say its becoming more and more impopular. The only thing ppl seems to listen to all the time is PoP and hiphop...

Also i have a theory i was thingking about.

The ppl who dont like metal says its noise. and my theory is that i wasnt really into metal at let say until i was 15. and i began listen to older metal ,a little slower and not so extreme and so on.

and now im really into fast pace and more advaced metal that i actally thought sounded to like noise earlier.

So the theory is that: Do your taste in music evolve?

for example: a person that is more in to music has easier to listen to metal just because he can apreciate the fast and sometimes advanced style. just because he gets bored of normal music???

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.