Elrond vs Aragorn

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

st@rlight
if there was a battle between elrond and aragorn, who do you think it would win?

coolmovies
ARAGORN all the way !!!!!!!!!!!!!

st@rlight
i say elrond!!!!!!!!!! his an elfbig grin . now i realise that aragorn and elrond are relatives... intereting...so aragorn is a relative with arwenno expression

ESB -1138
How is Aragon and Elrond related?

Any who ignoring the lack of knowledge Aragon would win this battle.

st@rlight
i don't think so. elves have sharper reflexes and are more powerful and wise. elrond has thousands of years in his back... he fought in many great wars... he has a very good exercise...bash.
by the way, elrond had a brother elros (elros chose to be a man, and his heirs were numenorian and later gondorian kings, aragorn the last heir of elros) .so aragorn is a nephiew of elrond. am i right?

thefallen544
He's a very, very, very distant relative of Elrond and Arwen something like 62 Generations seperates Elros (and thus Elrond) and Aragorn (Not including themselves). I feel sorry for Aragorns son Eldarion hes Elronds Grandson (Maternal) or his Great x63 Grand Nephew (Paternal) as Aragorn is Elronds Great x62 Grand Nephew.

This also means that Arwen and Aragorn are cousins, approximately 62 times removed (on Aragorn's side only, for in Arwen there have been only 2 generations)

I'm not sure who would win I'd be tempted to say Aragorn however.

Council#13
Originally posted by thefallen544
He's a very, very, very distant relative of Elrond and Arwen something like 62 Generations seperates Elros (and thus Elrond) and Aragorn (Not including themselves). I feel sorry for Aragorns son Eldarion hes Elronds Grandson (Maternal) or his Great x63 Grand Nephew (Paternal) as Aragorn is Elronds Great x62 Grand Nephew.

This also means that Arwen and Aragorn are cousins, approximately 62 times removed (on Aragorn's side only, for in Arwen there have been only 2 generations)

Um..... yes! big grin

Incest sick

thefallen544
Hardly even with like two generations its not incest so for 62 generations removed...I mean Jesus give the guy a break. "I can't love you because we are 62 Generations apart yet still alas related"

st@rlight
so, i was right!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yes!!!!!!!!smilebig grin

st@rlight
A QUESTION TO THE FALLEN: from where do you know all these things? are them written in the silmarillion?

vanice

I'm not sure who would win I'd be tempted to say Aragorn however.

HAHA, this is kinda fun . I think Aragorn the second, which is the Aragorn we know, is the 65 generation of Elros. I'm not 100% sure but something like that. stick out tongue

don't know much about elronds skills in battle. so I'll say Aragorn just for the sake of it.

Council#13
Hardly even with like two generations its not incest so for 62 generations removed...I mean Jesus give the guy a break. "I can't love you because we are 62 Generations apart yet still alas related"

laughing Still incest stick out tongue

Just kidding

thtadthtshldntb
This is not even a contest, Elrond is a powerful magician and experienced warrior with a Ring of Power.

thefallen544
Elrond is a powerful healer and does have some qualities one would call "magic" but seeing as how little even the Wizards use magic in battles I doubt that would come into play. Furthermore a ring of power isn't an offensive too especially the Elven Rings.

Whilst Vilya the ring Elrond held was the most powerful of the Three Elven rings its powers seemed to be more passive. The Elven rings could slow down the decay of things and areas for example Elrond and Gladriel are known to have used their rings to keep Imaldris (Rivendell) and Lorien going. When the three left Middle-earth powerless all that was made with them would decay and crumble over time.

Elrond was an experienced warrior however he would have had a large part in Aragorns upbringing and his training furthermore Aragorn had been fighting wars for the best part of his life serving Gondor and Rohan. Not to mention Aragorns skills as a Ranger. Far from being a close contest I'd say it was extremely close.

----------
@: st@rlight: Many family trees have been published such as "The Line of Elros" by tracing the family line back through Aragorns ancestors we can work out roughly how many Generations there is. "The Lords of Andunie" have never been truly known the number is believed to be about 18.

From Elros to Silmarien there are 3 Generations not including either. Between Silmarien and Elendil there at 18 Generations not counting either. Between Elendil and Aragorn there are 39 Generations not counting either. Adding on Silmarien and Elendil as we didn't count them earlier we get (39+18+3+2) which gives us 62. Okay my math may be a bit off but that seems how it was worked out in the equations I've seen...lots of numbers.

st@rlight
aha...interesting... confused you have a really really good memorysmile...

ESB -1138
Originally posted by st@rlight
A QUESTION TO THE FALLEN: from where do you know all these things? are them written in the silmarillion?

The Appendix has family trees and such and even explains some of these things further.

Stupid Rookie
I really think Elrond would destroy Aragon. I mean the guy has been fighting for thousands of years. I know he wasn't as powerful as Gilgalad (spelling) but he was supposed to be close and G went toe to toe with Sauron.

Elron has more experience, and magic. He could beat Aragon.

thefallen544
As a swordsman I think Aragorn was more skillful, he was fighting wars most of his life aiding the nations of Gondor and Rohan as well as being trained by the Elven folk and a Ranger. Elrond was powerful no doubt but he was more of a healer and I doubt much of his power would be focussed into sword skill. Whilst one can be powerful yet not that good in combat. Gil-Galad and Elendil both faced off against Sauron. By their joint effort he was cast down yet both men were slain. Elrond was Gil-Galad's herald, whilst he was skilled in combat I'm not sure he could outmatch Aragorn in open combat.

Hewkii_Dude
if there was a battle between elrond and aragorn, who do you think it would win?

Hard to say..Elrond is a elf. They are overpowered.. But Aragorn is a great warrior, I dont think i can answer this. It's hard to know.

Nellinator
Many family trees have been published such as "The Line of Elros" by tracing the family line back through Aragorns ancestors we can work out roughly how many Generations there is. "The Lords of Andunie" have never been truly known the number is believed to be about 18.

From Elros to Silmarien there are 3 Generations not including either. Between Silmarien and Elendil there at 18 Generations not counting either. Between Elendil and Aragorn there are 39 Generations not counting either. Adding on Silmarien and Elendil as we didn't count them earlier we get (39+18+3+2) which gives us 62. Okay my math may be a bit off but that seems how it was worked out in the equations I've seen...lots of numbers.
I once figured this out too.

On the debate: Elrond is more powerful and would win, imo, because of his experience, the fact that he an elf, the ring of power, his 6.25% Maia blood. Aragorn was trained to fight by the elves, but I see no indication that he could surpass the elves in skill. The sons of Elrond are shown to have significant effect in battle, which is why they are mentioned as being present on one of the hills at the gates of Mordor. I see no indication that Aragorn was actually superior to them.

thefallen544
I would agree on your points apart from the ring of power having any great bearing upon the battle. Elrond seems to be more a healer and a councillor in my eyes. Just because hes an Elf and he served in the Last Alliance doesn't make him a great fighter. Not all Elves were good warriors. I think in skill Aragorn surpasses him, having spent most of his adult life fighting wars under the flags of Rohan and Gondor. Not to mention his training as a Ranger and his training by the Elven Warriors.

liamers
Elrond. His sword skills were brilliant in the first age. Plus he has Vilya, the ring of air one of the three elven rings of power. now there

thefallen544
I'm not even gonna bother with this anymore, I've gone over how the Three Elven rings of power were not offensive tools sooooooo many times. The Elven Rings were things of beauty, they had the power to preserve life and the havens of the Elves to slow the weariness of the world and heal its hurts. They didn't give Elrond any god like abilities in combat at most it would allow him to exhbit more control over his healing or far seeing but it wouldn't aid him in a fight against Aragorn. As for skill with swords the two are pretty evenly matched, I would notion that Aragorn has the slight edge when it comes to swordcraft. Elrond taking more the path of the scholar.

Nellinator
I'm not even gonna bother with this anymore, I've gone over how the Three Elven rings of power were not offensive tools sooooooo many times. The Elven Rings were things of beauty, they had the power to preserve life and the havens of the Elves to slow the weariness of the world and heal its hurts. They didn't give Elrond any god like abilities in combat at most it would allow him to exhbit more control over his healing or far seeing but it wouldn't aid him in a fight against Aragorn. As for skill with swords the two are pretty evenly matched, I would notion that Aragorn has the slight edge when it comes to swordcraft. Elrond taking more the path of the scholar.
The elven rings of power (if Gandalf's ring is to be of any indication) give extra energy and strength of will. It is also indicated that Elrond may have used the ring to create the wave that washed the Nazgul away from Imladris. However, I agree that its powers are not offensive, but the slight edge they may offer is worth noting and taking under consideration I believe.

thefallen544
Narya the ring that Gandalf bore did indeed rekindle the hearts of men and save the wearer from some weariness. But even so, in a straight out sword battle its a very minor factor. Tolkein himself in letter #131 that the Three Elven rings were "directed to the preservation of beauty" a quote which almost directly sways against them to be of any use in bolstering strength in battle.

Another quoted passage again suggests they are most certainly not weapons of war

"So much only in this hour of doubt I may now say. They are not idle. But they were not made as weapons of war or conquest: that is not their power. Those who made them did not desire strength or domination or hoarded wealth, but understanding, making and healing, to preserve all things unstained."

Another quote from Letter #119
"The Three Rings of the Elves, wielded by secret guardians, are operative in preserving the memory of the beauty of old, maintaining enchanted enclaves of peace where Time seems to stand still and decay is restrained, a semblance of the bliss of the True West."

Blaxican
Isn't Aragorn considered to be oen of the best swordsman, ever?

thefallen544
Aragorn spent most of his life fighting wars, under the banner of both Rohan and Gondor

Aragorn son of Arathorn is born in 2931 of the Third Age,

in 2956 Aragorn meets Gandalf and fights in wars for Rohan and Gondor. If we take the first mentioned date we can work out Theoden of Rohan's age at this point in time to be about eight years old. (Born in 2948)

In 2993 Eomer is born in Rohan by this time Aragorn is about 62 and has faught in many wars and conflicts. I only draw this comparison to show the sort of life Aragorn has had, how many battles he has been in compared to other Warriors such as Eomer of the time.

Whilst Elrond is obviously of the First Born and has lived a long life, he is more of a healer and a preserver thus is the Elven way, Elrond is a powerful magician.

Whilst a capable warrior during the war I would think that in swordcraft Aragorn would prove superiour should the two ever square of. Aragorn has the benefit of Elven lore and teaching, a life of wandering the roughs and wilds of the world including trips far into the East and South exploring all of Saurons movements. He fights in many wars for Gondor and Rohan before Theoden King is even in his teens and before Denethor II of Gondor even is Steward (the title is held by his father Ecthelion II at this point).

No indeed by experience levels Aragorn was of the most learned and hardy of men and I believe he could defeat Lord Elrond in a sword battle.

Nellinator
Narya the ring that Gandalf bore did indeed rekindle the hearts of men and save the wearer from some weariness. But even so, in a straight out sword battle its a very minor factor. Tolkein himself in letter #131 that the Three Elven rings were "directed to the preservation of beauty" a quote which almost directly sways against them to be of any use in bolstering strength in battle.

Another quoted passage again suggests they are most certainly not weapons of war

"So much only in this hour of doubt I may now say. They are not idle. But they were not made as weapons of war or conquest: that is not their power. Those who made them did not desire strength or domination or hoarded wealth, but understanding, making and healing, to preserve all things unstained."

"The Three Rings of the Elves, wielded by secret guardians, are operative in preserving the memory of the beauty of old, maintaining enchanted enclaves of peace where Time seems to stand still and decay is restrained, a semblance of the bliss of the True West."
I know this stuff. Just a thought though: if the wave was indeed created with the ring was it not being used for preservation? Plus I think that capability could very useful for other uses. Preservation of beauty can easily be seen as preservation of nature and creation, meaning that it must have influence over nature. However, I believe this power over nature was used together with Elrond's Maia powers and his natural skill at the Art. A deadly combination if I may say so.

thefallen544

vanice

well we have talked about this before if I remember it right. But I just have to say this. Even though the elven rings weren't created as weapons, I'm sure they carry certain powers. These powers can be used on the battlefield, no doubt. When Gandalf fights the balrog he says he's the keeper of "the flame of anor". Now what the flame of anor really is, is debated. However, my opinion is that the ring Naria - the ring of fire is the explanation. Because he's guarding the ring right. So I'm sure Elrond will get some advantage of having the ring, can't say what though. But i still think Aragorn is a better fighter and he will Defeat Elrond in battle.

thefallen544
Elrond's ring possibly along with inherent power gave him influence over the realm that he lives. I wouldn't say it gave him power on the battlefield that was not their purpose. To augment ones own natural magic maybe.

Anor literally translates to Sun in Sindarin. The Flame of Anor is not in any way shape or form related to the said Flame of Anor, Or The Flame Imperishable used by Eru to give life. In his letters Tokien talks extensively about the Three Rings and all their given names Narya the Great, The Third Ring, Narya the Red and The Kindler but never has he ever connected it with the Flame of Anor.

The Sun that is seen in middle earth is the last light of one of the Two scared trees of Valinor that of Laurelin, before they were destroyed by Morgoth.

What Gandalf saying is by "wielder of the Flame of Anor" is that he is a servant of the West and the Lord that live there an emissary of the Valar and that whom they serve Eru. He is not however saying, look at me I have a magic ring. He is above that, his power is above that. Naryas power lay in kindling the hearts and spirits of those around for valour and great deeds. There is also evidence they helped ease the passage of time on Gandalf allowing him to go about his task with more vigour but this is not the Flame of Anor.

Initially according to the HOME books it read as 'I am the master of White Flame. The Red Fire cannot come this way' reading it this way doesn't refer to the ring as a THING its a stance white for good, red and later black for evil. In this light even after its evolution into the changed poetic "Flame of Anor" it is Gandalf announcing whom he serves and the power he gains from that, he is announcing that he serves the good side the Lord of the West.

(The original texts for this passage are found in The History of Middle-earth volume 7, X The Mines of Moria (2): The Bridge)

In the actual text said in The Lord of the Rings Gandalf says
"I am a servant of the Secret Fire*, wielder of the flame of Anor*2. You cannot pass. The dark fire*3 will not avail you, flame of Udun*4. Go back to the Shadow*5! You cannot pass."

* The Secret Fire is the Flame Imperishable the force used by Eru to give life and free will. As a servant of this he shows he is a servant of Eru
*2 Flame of Anor as I stated is seen to represent the power he wields as a representative of the Lord of the West and his status as a Maiar. It is not the power of Narya the ring that allows him to cause the bridge to break it is his own. Inherent power.
*3 Again in contrast to the Flame of Anor and good we are shown Dark Fire, a reference to the enemy and evil to be drawn into comparison.
*4 Udun was Morgoths oldest and greatest fortress in the north of the world, Morgoth was the Balrogs only true master.
*5 Shadow, again a reference to dark and evil in contrast.~

Apart from the annotations just made and the reference to past texts and evolutions into what it became the sheer power Gandalf displays cannot be attributed to the Ring. Whilst you are entitled to your opinion of course, I think I have made mine now. I will give it that Elronds ring allowed him more possiblity and influence to create the flood at the ford, but I do not think it would have aided in him a sword battle.

Much like the use of the Eagles the Rings bore by Gandalf and Elrond are there to get our heros out of otherwise difficult circumstances or to provide a solution not to be overused to the point of being crutches for our characters to lean upon. It is also worth noting that Gandalf never revealed that he bore Narya, not even to those who travelled with him until his departure at the grey havens. Indeed it seems that until then only Elrond, Galadriel, Cirdan and Saurman knew for sure that Gandalf carried the Kindler. I doubt Gandalf would have so openly announced what he carried when we know that Sauron had many spies and was an expert in torture and getting information even out of Gollum about the One Ring's whereabouts.

Draugwen
And there I was thinking *I* was a hardcore freak blink

thefallen544
Yeah I have far too much time on my hands and Gandalf, Istari, Rings etc are the subjects I spend a lot of my time if I am reading, reading about (Although recently it has been the Men of the North the line of the Kings and what little I can find about Dwarven folk)

vanice

thefallen544
Vilya was more powerful than Narya and its power seemed less of the kindling kinds more of the control over Elrond realm keeping it free from the decay of time and under his sway.

Narya actually held the powers to kindle hope in others and to make Gandalf less weary I don't think it gave him the urge to keep fighting evil. That was his own spirit, when one of the Istari stay true to their quest they constantly long for the West they wish to go back there for it is their home. Yet they can only return when their task is done. And only Saurman fell so utterly into darkness.

Radagast became enamoured by the nature of Middle-earth and can be seen as failing in his task of uniting the peoples of Middle-Earth under one banner. The fate of the two Blue Wizards is unknown and much speculation can be drawn upon if they succeeded in their task or not.

The passage you refer to in the English version says

"great labours and perils lie before you, and lest your task prove too great and wearisome, take this Ring for your aid and comfort. It was entrusted to me only to keep secret, and here upon the West-shores it is idle; but I deem that in days ere long to come it should be in nobler hands than mine, that may wield it for the kindling of all hearts to courage"

Much like Gandalf's nature, apart from easing the weariness of time and world and worry upon him the ring would do little for him. However like Gandalf it did much for those around them willing them for courage and valour, as Gandalf was not meant to directly interfere into matters of mortal hands he was not meant to fight for them. Rather unite them under one banner and inspire them to fight on their own.

The reason I shall say to you that Gandalf is not referring to the Ring as the "Flame of Anor" because in the same passage quoted it is said "And the Grey Messenger took the Ring, and kept it ever secret" Ever Secret, he did not reveal that he held it in any way no matter what guise he would mention it. Or by what name.

I shall give you that the warmth of his spirt is indeed said to be enhanced by the Ring Narya, but this can be read as the warmth percieved by others thusly the desire to help him or unite with him. Thusly is can be related into the powers stated before of inspiring courage and valour and making himself and those around him less wearisome.

Draugwen
If only we had a thread like that on Elvish or the sons of Feanor I could argue just as much XD
I have to agree with thefallen though, as far as I can follow you two^^

vanice
I hate to split posts (because you might lose the context) but this answer is pretty long so I'll take it in chapters.

Vilya was more powerful than Narya and its power seemed less of the kindling kinds more of the control over Elrond realm keeping it free from the decay of time and under his sway.

Narya actually held the powers to kindle hope in others and to make Gandalf less weary I don't think it gave him the urge to keep fighting evil. That was his own spirit, when one of the Istari stay true to their quest they constantly long for the West they wish to go back there for it is their home. Yet they can only return when their task is done. And only Saurman fell so utterly into darkness.

Yeah that's what I said. I it is impossible to say "it's like this and that's wrong" on this matter. However we agreed that Naria gave Gandalf, and others that were around him, courage and good moral in combat. This can be the difference between life and death, how is that not useful in combat? What I have said so far is that the rings of power can give powers to the one who carries it, NOT physical but still useful in a battlefield. Now you said Vilia is more like quote:
"less of the kindling kinds more of the control over Elrond realm keeping it free from the decay of time and under his sway."
I can't prove you wrong here, but if would be nice if you provided a quote here; or some kind of source. Why should it be any different to the other rings?

I do think naria is a part of why gandalf felt the urge to fight evil, to put it your way. At least the quote I gave you said so. I will write it down again, with a more careful translation. And a longer part of it.:

"His spirit was warm and eager (a trait that was further extended by narya), because he was Saurons Enemy and he fought the fire/flame that destroys and devastates with the fire/flame that warms and brings aid in hopelessness and distress"

This says quite clearly that Narya is a part of why Gandalf never stops fighting. I also think there is a connection between the ring Narya being the ring of fire and why Tolkien chooses to write "the fire/flame that destroys and devastates with the fire/flame that warms and brings aid in hopelessness and distress".

And you already know what happened to the Istari. I should have put my sentence in an other way I admit. But still gandalf was to only one who remained true to his task. That's what i meant.

Much like Gandalf's nature, apart from easing the weariness of time and world and worry upon him the ring would do little for him. However like Gandalf it did much for those around them willing them for courage and valour, as Gandalf was not meant to directly interfere into matters of mortal hands he was not meant to fight for them. Rather unite them under one banner and inspire them to fight on their own.

Again, I can't prove you wrong, but I think my quote says quite well that the ring made him even more himself, if you know what I mean.

The reason I shall say to you that Gandalf is not referring to the Ring as the "Flame of Anor" because in the same passage quoted it is said "And the Grey Messenger took the Ring, and kept it ever secret" Ever Secret, he did not reveal that he held it in any way no matter what guise he would mention it. Or by what name.

Let's make a thread! I will be glad to discuss this.

I shall give you that the warmth of his spirt is indeed said to be enhanced by the Ring Narya, but this can be read as the warmth percieved by others thusly the desire to help him or unite with him. Thusly is can be related into the powers stated before of inspiring courage and valour and making himself and those around him less wearisome.

Yeah I can't see what we were arguing about stick out tongue

thefallen544
Vilya was more powerful than Narya, as the ring Elrond bore was the mightiest of all of the the three. Whilst its powers are not specifically stated we know that like Galadriel Elrond used his ring to slow the passage of time and keep Rivendell untouched by the shadow and the passing of years. When the one ring is destroyed the powers of the three shall fade and with it Rivendell and Lorien shall grow old and the passage of time shall show upon them.

Narya is unique I think because its qualities did not seem to effect the area, it may be because of how Gandalf used it to effect people that differs from Elronds and Galadriels use of their rings. I think the rings seemed to augment ones of inherent power or character are you demonstrated Gandalf's aura was enhanced by his possesion of the Red Ring. Elrond and Galadriel were powerful Magician's among Elves and its quite possible that as such the rings acted upon them differently instead enabling them to control their environment. It could also in theory be a power of the three to protect and preserve that which one cares about most, Gandalf cared most about the peoples of Middle-earth and their plight, Elrond and Galadriel whilst caring for others their main domain was with the protection of their specific kingdoms I shall attempt to find a quote this is just so you can see my line of thinking.

vanice

thefallen544
Lotr ROTK "The Grey Havens"

"Elrond wore a mantle of grey and had a star upon his forehead, and a silver harp was in his hand, and upon his finger was a ring of gold with a great blue stone, Vilya, mightiest of the Three"

Gil-Galad apparently delivered the Third ring, Narya to Cirdan and kept Vilya himself up until his death in which is passed to Elrond. Of course during this time whilst they held the rings of power they could not wear them (During the time of the Last Alliance Sauron still held the one ring and even the Three were not immune to its power)

vanice
Ok. I wonder in what way it's more powerful. I don't question it, just wondering what it means.

Different sources say differently, apparently. The second appendix and the chapter in silmarillion "about the rings of power" says gil-galad gave it to cirdan. but unfinished tales says he got in directly form Celebrimbor, the elf who forged the elven rings.

thefallen544
I'd trust the Sil over UT in that case, I use UT when no other source as such is available. However all were ideas of Tolkein at some point.

vanice
Yeah me to, some things in UT are just notes in the margin, whilst it says something else on the paper. One can't say what exactly he meant.

Bain
Elrong always has such a big robe on because hes hiding his walker.

Aragorn all the way.

nenarye
I'd trust the Sil over UT in that case, I use UT when no other source as such is available. However all were ideas of Tolkein at some point.

I don't know if I'd say that. The UT goes farther into depth of certain storys in the Silm, therefore {one would think} giving more information. Those margins and notes give a lot of information BTW.

thefallen544
True, I trust UT when the stories don't contradict those in the Sil. If they just add information or are a totally different story then I'll always trust UT just not if its saying the opposite of the Sil.

Pirates-Orlie
I'd hope Aragorn to win, but I think Elrond has a bigger chance.

bogen
Sharper reflexes, physically stronger, power of a ring and wisdom of time all say Elrond.

vanice
Originally posted by bogen
Sharper reflexes, physically stronger, power of a ring and wisdom of time all say Elrond.

since when is Elrond stronger than Aragorn? No way man...

bogen
Originally posted by vanice
since when is Elrond stronger than Aragorn? No way man...

Since he's an an elf, since he lead the joint armys of the freeworld against souron, since he held one of the rings of power.

Just because aragorns fighting ability was chafed up in the movies doesnt mean the books say the same.

vanice
Originally posted by bogen
Since he's an an elf, since he lead the joint armys of the freeworld against souron, since he held one of the rings of power.

Just because aragorns fighting ability was chafed up in the movies doesnt mean the books say the same.

So elf = stronger? ... hell no.
if you would have taken the time and read what I and thefallen discussed on this very thread you would find that the rings of power doesn't boost physically.

And tell me where it says in the book that Elrond is a fighter at all. He aint.

kamikz
Yup, he was a healer, we have no real specific proof of his abilities as far as I know. All we can do is assume, and though abscence of proof is not proof of abscence, I think we have enough on Aragorn to say that he can to the least fight Elrond to a close, and most likely win....

tulakhordpwns
yeah aragorn wins

Biccie
Elrond all the way! In experience alone, he helped get the one ring back originally.

Also he has plenty of magic to use. Don't forget the film missed the bit that it was Elrond that created the river wash to get rid of the black riders when arwen was taking frondo to rivendell, so he has more than just healing powers.

Although i think aragorn is fantastic, in this fight, it has to be Elrond.

Cap'n Happy

This is foolish, apparently you don't read the books. As a great Elvin lord, Elrond is quite beyond even the skills of Aragon. Pitted against lower ranked Elves like Legolas that's one thing, but Elrond? Not a chance. Some of the posters here, quite up on thier JRR say otherwise- but how do you get past the obvious superiority inherent in Elves over men (even men descended from Westerness)? Elves clarely have greater speed, strength, reflexes to men... and I just can't buy Elrond as a simple healer/scholar type. I don't recall ever reading one way or the other in the books, but why assume this? The sons of Elrond are wariors, why not Elrond himself?

Jbill311
Elrond was a warrior, but he swore that he would never fight again after the betrayal of Isiuldur. He then became a healer, but still had all of his years of warfare and training.
Aragorn was a powerful fighter, but his skills were spread out between survival and fighting, and he had less time to learn either of them- especially when compared with elrond's thousands of years.

Elrond wins hands down, if you could convince him to fight.

Vaiem
Gotta go with Elrond on this one. He's got the experience and the mindset to come out triumphant. But Aragorn would put up a good fight.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.