For a Few Dollars More

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

crazy_shadow
This stuff's really gay..i got bored and felt like reading it all...i'm lil pissed about the situation..
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/737/737177p1.html

SaTsuJiN
heh.. well I havent bought a single "online item" since this craze has started.. I'm not about to start now... your skill should make those items available to you.. not the lazy "oh I'll just buy my way through this game" logic

Spartan005
^ Yeah thats pretty retarded having to buy everything...

Infact, I didn't buy one thing on Xbox live yet, since the demos are keeping me so damn entertained. I've been playing NFS: Most Wanted like everyday on the roadblock challenge... its sooo damn fun eek!

PVS

Barker
lol

Darth Kreiger
I wouldn't be surprised, that my friends is why you need to get off the Consoles, and onto the PCs

InnerRise
Originally posted by Darth Kreiger
I wouldn't be surprised, that my friends is why you need to get off the Consoles, and onto the PCs

mhm

is it comprehensible.....

DanZeke25
That is the stupidest shit I've ever heard in my life.

IceJaw
Originally posted by DanZeke25
That is the stupidest shit I've ever heard in my life.

Mišt
I dont support the idea of buying game items (well, at least for something ridiculously priced), but from a developers perspective, its the only way they get paid. I dont see why its a problem to spend say $2 for an upgrade on a game, you dont have to buy every upgrade they release.

Eg: Oblivion: "Charging gamers for horse armor seemed rather conspicuous at the time".

Ok, at first glance its 'why should I pay for this crap?', but when you look at the developer side, they are the ones sitting there programming and designing the stuff, they are the ones spending their time making it happen, and if they dont charge for people to download it, they dont get paid for their time. How would you like to be a developer and not get paid?

On the PC side, they have the development kits available for download for modders, so they can sit back and let others do the work for their own benefit, but console gamers cant do that. And since consoles cant really get expansion packs to update the game (and hence they still dont get paid, although I can see this changing fairly quickly with the use of harddrives in consoles,) with more crap later on, they will have to choose the best things to make, and release them seperately.

Phat J
ah. you got my hopes up. i thought this was a new clint eastwood western game. the good, the bad and the ugly styles. sad

crazy_shadow

SaTsuJiN
shoo thats whut I'm sayin laughing out loud

plus if they're on a team with a famous series under their belt they'll most likely be getting way more than that

like for example with bethesda for oblivion.. I wonder how much those programmers got paid to study geology, and integrate it into oblivions world

crazy_shadow
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN

plus if they're on a team with a famous series under their belt they'll most likely be getting way more than that

like for example with bethesda for oblivion.. I wonder how much those programmers got paid to study geology, and integrate it into oblivions world i dont know but thats why i cant wait to be a game programmer eek!

Mišt
Originally posted by crazy_shadow
$40+ an hour for programming games isn't enough? lol

Would you want to work for free? Besides, the point was that they dont get paid if they dont charge for extra game content, which users are the ones crying for. Why should they make stuff for games that they dont need to put in, just because some people want some cool armor for their horses? It doesnt change the game in the least. Its different if they dedicate their time to an expansion pack adding many things to the game, because they release it as a 'game' and charge accordingly.

like for example with bethesda for oblivion.. I wonder how much those programmers got paid to study geology, and integrate it into oblivions world

It doesnt matter how much they get paid for making the game, its their time and energy being put into making the extra content.

Would you want to spend 3 years making a game, getting paid, then have it released and have the gaming population wanting extras put in, and you having to spend a further 6 months of your time making minor add ons? Oh, and without getting paid?

Kayne Archeron
they're certainly going to get paid alot less due to gamers who are outraged by this idea and don't buy the game WHATSOEVER

SaTsuJiN

Mišt
You cant modify every aspect of it, the article is about console mods, and console gamers dont have the resources to do so. If they were charging for official PC mods, then it would be a different story seeing as we have the abilities to mod ourselves, I already addressed the PC side of the game modders.

The developers are doing us a favour by releasing the console mods, if you desperately wanted the horse armor, pay $2, is it really that much to charge for a simple mod? You either buy it or dontsrug

You mentioned before "your skill should make those items available to you.. not the lazy 'oh I'll just buy my way through this game' logic", the point of releasing/charging for mods is that they arent available in the game to earn, you are downloading extra content which they took time out to make specifically for the console, complaining about paying for it is stupid (unless the price doesnt justify the content of the mod).

SaTsuJiN

Mišt
They "did" charge for the pc version of the horse armor.. which is my point.. they're trying to break the whole "marketplace" into the pc gaming scene, and I found it tacky...

hmm I didnt know they released 'official' pc mods, I thought they were keeping most of the add ons for an expansion/patch later on?

also as you've probably read in the article.. its getting worse... with the new gran turismo.. you purchase the framework of the game... and from there on.. every single track and car will have to be paid for to obtain... now considering the game will be 50 or 60 US dollars... dont you find that a little expensive for "framework" ?

Yeah I read it, it said at the end: "This editorial is a satire". So no, the GT was a joke. If it was real, the developers would lose plenty of money, since no one would buy each car/track.

theres no doubt that if this trend grows, we'll find ourselves paying for PC game mods as well... which is why I'm totally against it..

I never complained about paying for it.. because I never did pay for it.. and I wont ever pay for it.. and I'll be sure to encourage my friends not to pay for it either

"Give them an inch, they take a mile" I say..

It was complaining in general, as in, the gaming market, not you specifically. If people are complaining about paying for extras, then they can go without.

As for PC mods, Ill only ever download free user made ones, or put my money into a decent expansion, or just grab it off someone else. Theres always going to be someone who will download a mod and upload it for the rest of us, which is why PC mods will fail.

Hwoarang
I'm confused, whats happening ?

Mišt
..nothings happening, the article is a satire based on the increase of game developers making add ons/mods available for download for games, but charging people for doing so.

SaTsuJiN

crazy_shadow
it's funny how the armor for the horses is the most expensive while these quests are cheaper...

if anything sould cost more it should be the quests, the armor is a simple design you can mod

Hwoarang
So they are charging you for certain parts in a game. Like a new character or car or stage or something like that.

If so thats ****ed up.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.