The aztecs are much evaler than everyone thinks.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Aga the Wolf
They sacrificed like, 30 living people a day to there gods and goddesses. They would go from neighboring indian village to village, mercilessly killing or harming people so they could bring them back to Tenochtilan(sp?), there capitol, to be sacrificed. The wars were called the Flower Wars, because Flower was the Aztec's name for blood.

They enjoyed sacrificing babies and making them cry, cuz their rain god would remember to give their crops water when it saw a crying baby. They would have sports games. The loser would be sacrificed. What about the winner? Sacraficed too, yay! They also had dirty water problems partially from blood running down temple steps into their rivers.

Now, what do history books say about the Aztecs?

Nothing.

They describe Asstecs (buh huh huh. Get it?) as kind, loving people. "There ruler was a just, and great one."...

Montezuma (there leader) was a literal tyrant. He enjoyed killing, and forced any lower class citizen to give him any valuable object they found.

Sorry, just had to blow off some steam.
What do you thing about the aztecs?

Alliance
I think your interpretation of ancient history is a little off.

Go vent elsewhere.

Then try reading some history.

Spelling might help too.

Aga the Wolf
Originally posted by Alliance
I think your interpretation of ancient history is a little off.

I did just read history.
Look it up in an in-depth source that specifically talks about a Aztecs. Not "The Aztecs were a strong civilization." text book style books. I mean like, books that tell everything about the Aztecs.

~Forever*Alone~
this, i know.

what a waste of time that was....

Darth Kreiger
I demand my 2 minutes back

Alliance
Originally posted by Aga the Wolf
I did just read history.
Look it up in an in-depth source that specifically talks about a Aztecs. Not "The Aztecs were a strong civilization." text book style books. I mean like, books that tell everything about the Aztecs.

I'm sure you don't even know what an in-depth source is. Your writing style suggests you are very young, you make non-factual extrapolations and overdramatize minimal historical evidence with personal opinion.

Such is not the work of scholars.

Barker
Wow, they really were eval.

no expression

Alliance
no expression Indeed.

King Kandy
If they killed 30 enslaved people a day. it would be a very inneficiant use of resources.

They sacraficed on HOLIDAYS. And often, the sacrificed people were volenters.

Alliance
They did not kill 30 people every day. =

Sacrifices were important, of course they sacrificed on holidays. It was also the highest possible honor to be sacrificed, so of course you would volunteer.

Tptmanno1
You would also have been eaten, but yea..
Religion makes people do funny things.

Quiero Mota
They sacrificed like, 30 living people a day to there gods and goddesses. They would go from neighboring indian village to village, mercilessly killing or harming people so they could bring them back to Tenochtilan(sp?), there capitol, to be sacrificed. The wars were called the Flower Wars, because Flower was the Aztec's name for blood.

They enjoyed sacrificing babies and making them cry, cuz their rain god would remember to give their crops water when it saw a crying baby. They would have sports games. The loser would be sacrificed. What about the winner? Sacraficed too, yay! They also had dirty water problems partially from blood running down temple steps into their rivers.

Nothing.

They describe Asstecs (buh huh huh. Get it?) as kind, loving people. "There ruler was a just, and great one."...

Montezuma (there leader) was a literal tyrant. He enjoyed killing, and forced any lower class citizen to give him any valuable object they found.

Actually, they would kill hundreds a day, which was a religious ceremonies because they believed their Gods ate human hearts and drank human blood.

And I say it agian: it was for religious reasons. They didn't shed massive amounts of human blood for the entertainment of thousands, like the Romans did.

And you're a dumbass for calling them evil.

Darth Macabre
Originally posted by Quiero Mota

That's right, because they're eval...Good post by the way, agreed with it a 100%.

If you're going to call the Aztecs evil, then you'd have to call every other religion and peoples who sacrificed for their gods evil as well.

Sub_Mariner
Yes, i believe someone called Aga the Wolf.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Sub_Mariner
Yes, i believe someone called Aga the Wolf.

laughing

Alfheim
Actually, they would kill hundreds a day, which was a religious ceremonies because they believed their Gods ate human hearts and drank human blood.

And I say it agian: it was for religious reasons. They didn't shed massive amounts of human blood for the entertainment of thousands, like the Romans did.

I was watching a program were it said one of the reaosn why they sacrificed people to the gods was to avert disasters. The aztecs were going through a very bad period were things just got worse and worse and the worse things got the more people they sacrificed.

They thought they were doing the right thing.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Alfheim
I was watching a program were it said one of the reaosn why they sacrificed people to the gods was to avert disasters.

You're refferring to Huitzilopochtli. And yes, he would cuase storms and shit if he didn't get his fix of human hearts.

Alliance
I was watching a program were it said one of the reaosn why they sacrificed people to the gods was to avert disasters. The aztecs were going through a very bad period were things just got worse and worse and the worse things got the more people they sacrificed.

They thought they were doing the right thing.

Yes, as Quiero has poited out, the Aztecs did not scrifice hundreds of people every day. Sacrifices were reserved for specail occasions or times of crisis.

Thaloc had a temple with Huitzilopochtli at the top of the main pyramid in Tenochtitlan. If I'm not mistaken, the majority of the sacrifices went to these two gods.

Darth Kreiger

I bet because they killed so many people, they lost their work force, therefore, things really did get worse

Alliance
You obviously know very little about this.

King Kandy
They couldn't have possibly killed Hundreds of people daily, Quiero, or else they could not have been a powerful empire. In a single city of large population, they would have completely wasted all resources on this ludacris goal.

Quiero Mota
Actually, they did. They were typicall POW's or winners of the Aztec ball game.

Alliance
They did kill more than a hundred people a day, but this was a RARE occourance. They didn't kill hundreds of people often. Infact they didn't kill on a daily basis at all.

RedAlertv2
A lot of their sacrifices were enemy prisoners. so it wasnt exactly crippling their society. Thinking white men werent evil is what crippled their society.

Alliance
hehe.

King Kandy
Actually, they did. They were typicall POW's or winners of the Aztec ball game.
People tried to win the ball game because they felt it was a honor to be sacrafised.

homer2.0
i think there one of the gereates civiliztions ever

Tangible God
Too bad you can't be them in Age of Empires.

Penelope
The AzteCs were indeed the "truest" definition of a WarLike People. But being WarLike, was the way of life for all of the people, who inhabited both North and South America, as well as Central America, before the Europeans invaded.

Lord Coal
Originally posted by Penelope
The AzteCs were indeed the "truest" definition of a WarLike People. But being WarLike, was the way of life for all of the people, who inhabited both North and South America, as well as Central America, before the Europeans invaded.

Because, as we all know, the 16th century Spanish weren't a war like people at all? Please!

deathbunnyman
laughing laughing laughing

they are pretty dang stupid!

and the spanish realised this and capitalized on it and quickly wiped them out.

face it people, you can say its religion and stuff but how many other religions kill people to avert disasters. what would you say if a country or religion nowadays did this. you would say they were EVAL!!! like worse than Saddam Hussain.

Hercules
Originally posted by deathbunnyman
laughing laughing laughing

they are pretty dang stupid!

and the spanish realised this and capitalized on it and quickly wiped them out.

face it people, you can say its religion and stuff but how many other religions kill people to avert disasters. what would you say if a country or religion nowadays did this. you would say they were EVAL!!! like worse than Saddam Hussain.

Well, the Greeks did, Pagans did, Romans often scarificed animals to gain the favour of the Gods.

Of course this practice would be frowned upon now but this is a very different time.

Evil is an intent, they were not killing to cause the person who was sacrificed pain or suffering the death would have been very quick.

They were doing it to apease and gain the favour of their God's and often the victims were prisoners or people who gave their lives willingly.

Prisoners would expect it cause if the roles had been reversed they would have done the same and well people who competed for the "honour" were not victims of Evil or victims at all really.

Evil is wiping out an entire population based on their religion, evil is torturing people to death for having a different politcal point of view, evil is women and children lying dead in the street through a gas attack.

Every civilisation is capable of evil, The British were downright evil and barbaric at some points in the history of the Empire, as were the Romans and most others.

Aztecs are no more evil than anyother civilisation.

Bardock42

And you're a dumbass for calling them evil. To be fair....human entertainment seems to me a much more moral reason to kill people than for religious idiocy.

deathbunnyman
i would say they are far lower on the evolutionary chain (stupid) compared to all other nations in the age of exploration, not evil.

European nations finished sacrificing waaay before the aztecs. they were just stuck in the stone age, whilst europe, as evil as they may be, advanced in technology and exploration.

people say they were a great and prosperous people. well...maybe compared to pre-roman germanic tribes. aztecs just sat on their ass and killed their own, whilst the british and roman empires were greatly improving life as well as being evil.

Fishy
i would say they are far lower on the evolutionary chain (stupid) compared to all other nations in the age of exploration, not evil.

European nations finished sacrificing waaay before the aztecs. they were just stuck in the stone age, whilst europe, as evil as they may be, advanced in technology and exploration.

people say they were a great and prosperous people. well...maybe compared to pre-roman germanic tribes. aztecs just sat on their ass and killed their own, whilst the british and roman empires were greatly improving life as well as being evil.

To be fair, Christians still killed thousands in the name of their religion. Maybe not ritual sacrifices anymore, but witch burning was still done to please god and to stop the bad things from happening. So in a way they were the same things only called different.

I also think that the Europeans had a greater need to improve their technology and their city's then the Aztecs did. Not to mention that we had more to trade with, compared to the Aztecs who were far more limited in their strong and powerful enemy's and strong trade powers in the area. Which would logically slow or even completely stop progress.

Marxman

people say they were a great and prosperous people. well...maybe compared to pre-roman germanic tribes. aztecs just sat on their ass and killed their own, whilst the british and roman empires were greatly improving life as well as being evil. The Aztecs were far from stupid. Their architecture TO THIS DAY rivals some of the best in Europe. They were the best of the best in terms of military on their continent. In other words, you're ignorant.
Originally posted by Tangible God
Too bad you can't be them in Age of Empires. AOE II in the Xpac Age of the COnquerors you can. My fave civ!

Fishy
Originally posted by Marxman
The Aztecs were far from stupid. Their architecture TO THIS DAY rivals some of the best in Europe. They were the best of the best in terms of military on their continent. In other words, you're ignorant.
AOE II in the Xpac Age of the COnquerors you can. My fave civ!

Really why? They barely had any real Siege weapons, of course their castle units were good but that was pretty much it?

Well starting with more civs was nice too I guess...

Tangible God
I lost interest in that game, found love in Total War's Rome.

Marxman
Originally posted by Fishy
Really why? They barely had any real Siege weapons, of course their castle units were good but that was pretty much it?

Well starting with more civs was nice too I guess... Their army was themed around their merciless infantry. You can't very well wheel siege weapons around the jungle. They were the best for their time and place.

GANGSTA COW 10
AYE AYE SONS IS THIS THE STAR WARS ROLEPLAYING SECTION RIGHTO?

The Grey Fox
Yes it is, my Fez hat friend, welcome to BESPIN BESPIN BESPIN TATOOINE TATOOINE BESPIN PLO KOON - KI-ADI-MUNDI - YODA...... LEADERS OF THE ILLUMINATI!!!!!! THEY ARE EVIL I LIKE EM SO MUCH

deathbunnyman
The Aztecs were far from stupid. Their architecture TO THIS DAY rivals some of the best in Europe. They were the best of the best in terms of military on their continent. In other words, you're ignorant.

ok then. compared to EUROPEAN nations in the age of exploration.

its always gonna be my word against yours and fishys, but architecture evidently dont mean your stay on the face of the earth. europeans had architecture and military might.

id also like to see the aztecs build the eiffel tower, london eye etc. any european country could build an aztec temple quicker than they did. wink

can we not just end this dumb arguement

Fishy
Their army was themed around their merciless infantry. You can't very well wheel siege weapons around the jungle. They were the best for their time and place.

Yes they were, but I just don't consider them the best in AOE2... I always preferred the Celts, Teutons or Koreans really.

The thing is though inventions are made by necessity, they didn't have any need to invent the things we did here as they ruled anyway. Rome was powerful at it's might but stagnated and then fell. It's what happens when you become to powerful you stagnate and stop advancing as quickly or at all. They had no need to develop other military things so they didn't.

There architectural creations however are brilliant, one can't deny that.

Council#13

Nothing.

I think that your views on history are a bit narrow and one sided, not to mention slightly inaccurate. They didn't sacrifice 30 people a day. They didn't go around simply killing and hurting people. True, they brought back slaves to be sacrificed, but they didn't exterminate entire villages for the fun of it. They were much more practical. The Triple Alliance forced those tribes to offer tribute.

As far as those sacrifices and the Flower Wars go, it's true that the Aztecs slaughtered massive amounts of people at a time. However, the religon of the Aztecs required that they give these blood offerings or else the gods would destroy the world again. These sacrifices were made only on holidays, and it was considered an honorable death to be sacrificed. Also, remember what happened to some of those small cities and tribes in the deserts of Peru when the rain ceased to fall.

Marxman
Originally posted by Fishy
Yes they were, but I just don't consider them the best in AOE2... I always preferred the Celts, Teutons or Koreans really. Oh, I see. I thought you meant the actual army, not from the game. But nah man. Great infantry early on in the game, I would own people with my Fuedal Age fighting. And then if the game went long, after all the blacksmith upgrades and Aztec specific upgrades, those Jaguar Warriors were hard to take down.

miss_swann
FUNNY STORY: This is true yet hilarious:

Many other mexican tribes did not like the Aztecs at first. They decided to try and make friends with a tribe and invited the princess to a ceremony. When her guard went back for her she wasn't there, Montezuma had sacrificed her. All of the Aztecs thought this was a great honour and couldn't understand why the other tribe were so annoyed.

FistOfThe North
How did the Aztec carry out these sacrifices. Like what methods did they use to kill the doomed, (or in their case "the honored"wink

DigiMark007
There's so much ownage in this thread. Great stuff.

laughing out loud

Syren
'evaler'? crazy

MightyEInherjar
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
How did the Aztec carry out these sacrifices. Like what methods did they use to kill the doomed, (or in their case "the honored"wink

Usually either a beheading or death by dismemberment.

Sometimes organs would be removed (usually a "beating heart" in Hollywood) depending on the circumstance. The blood was usually the most essential part of the sacrifice.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Bardock42
To be fair....human entertainment seems to me a much more moral reason to kill people than for religious idiocy.

July 9th!? Ay guey, I can't believe I missed this.

Anyways, how do you figure?

Bardock42
July 9th!? Ay guey, I can't believe I missed this.

Anyways, how do you figure? Well, it seems more straightforward. I mean the real reason why they do it is entertainment anyways, so why not just admit it. If it's cool to kill someone for the one or other God (you likely made up) it should be alright to kill them for your own (or even mass entertainment). It just seems more honest to me.

Not that I condone either, obviously.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by MightyEInherjar
Usually either a beheading or death by dismemberment.

Sometimes organs would be removed (usually a "beating heart" in Hollywood) depending on the circumstance. The blood was usually the most essential part of the sacrifice.

While alive most likely. Damn that must've hurt so bad.. Getting your stomach quickly sawed opened by a stone knife followed by having your intestines and liver scooped out in your full view..The agony of it. And for what..For some false sun or rain or moon God.

IHateCaesar
They were freaky

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.