Children of the Corn REMAKE

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

deathbycorn
A remake of Fritz Kiersch's classic 1984 film, Children of the Corn, is in the works. Adapted from a Stephen King story, the pic follows a young couple who wander into a mid-western town where all the adults are apparently dead and the children participate in a cult that worships a malevolent force in the corn fields.

This has made me so happy!

If you could choose a director to take on this project out of the directors below who would it be?
Or who would you choose?

Stephen King
Brad Anderson
Alexandre Aja
Takashi Miike
Robert Rodriguez
Christophe Gans
Francis Ford Coppola
John Carpenter
Clive Barker
Sam Raimi
Rob Zombie
Eli Roth
John Gulager

Wolfie
Remakes are coming too soon now. COTC is only 22 years old.

By the way, Stephen King is not a director. He's a writer.

deathbycorn
He directed Maximum Overdrive.

Röland
Originally posted by deathbycorn
He directed Maximum Overdrive.

Stephen is the best, but look how that movie turned out. roll eyes (sarcastic)

I didn't even like the first one, so I really don't want a remake but if I had to choose any director I would say Carpenter, Roth or Raimi, maybe Barker.

MildPossession
I mentioned this remake a few months ago to you Death in another topic somewhere...

Leathergien
i think a remake is going to be good but i think either eli roth or john carpenter becuase eli roth would zing it up by making it more gory! and suspenceful!

deathbycorn
The dude who did Silent Hill would make a cool one too I think.
The Paganism in Silent Hill is similar to COTC.

And Mild, that's why I started this topic, I only seen what you posted yesterday!

cropsy_is_god
Why the f**k do ppl have to remake films. This film doesnt need remade all this is is a way for some hollywood wanker to make him/herself richer. The horror genre is dying

MildPossession

ragesRemorse
It is a sci-fi original movie? Well, damn i think we can guarantee that it's going to be gold.

cropsy_is_god
If i could i would put an end to this project and all these other lame remakes. Goddamn the horror genre is going to hell fast.

MildPossession
Yeah you keep going on about it...

I haven't read the book but if they are changing the ending to match what it is in the book then I will be interested to see how it turns out.

deathbycorn
The Children of the Corn short story is one of the scariest things I've ever read.

If they go with the short story ending, this is going to be one nasty fu*king film.

Even if it is a Sci Fi Original its not going to be that bad because like I said on IMDB - its not about a giant snake or crocodile and can't really suffer from dodgy CGI.

Give it a chance, it could be worthwhile.

Now I just want to know what happened to the Who Can Kill A Child remake.

MildPossession
Can you tell me in spoilers, for people who don't want to know, what happens in the end originally compared to the first film?

Cheers.

deathbycorn
In the film at the end Burt ends up burning down the corn field with He Who Walks Behind The Rows in it. Then he and his wife (Vicky) take two of the non believer kids and walk out of the deserted town.

In the short story no one survives - Vicky gets propped up on a cross with barbed wire around her ankles and wrists and gets her eyes cut out and jaw bone ripped open and corn husks put in her mouth and eyes. And burt gets eaten by He Who Walks Behind The Rows.

So if they do that right it could be pretty evil.

Read the short story here:
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=404785

MildPossession
Oooooooooo, totally different!

deathbycorn
They should of just stuck to that original ending in 1984!

But yeah I'm keen for this remake. Big fan of the original so will be good to see what they can do. Also I wonder if they are going to set it in the 70s or set it in nowadays times.

NormaBates
i would hope Alexandre Aja !

papabeard
Yeah Aja or Rodriguez

BackFire
I support this remake on account of the original being shitty and really ....corny.....

deathbycorn
Get out of town! The original is one of the most atmospheric horror films ever!

BackFire
Come on. It's goofy as hell. It's more funny than scary or creepy.

MildPossession
I watched it such a long time ago that I can't really remember the atmosphere. Remember liking it though.

deathbycorn
Originally posted by BackFire
Come on. It's goofy as hell. It's more funny than scary or creepy.

The thing about Children of the Corn for me is not the actual movie but the premise behind the movie. Imagine if it really happened. It would be truly evil.

And when I was like 14, all I wanted to be was a child of the corn with no parents.

You cant talk about goofy when you fave horror is obviously TCM and have you seen Franklin lately? He nearly ruined that film for me!

Blinky
I liked the orginal. The new one will probably have a have a shitty Metal soundtrack and make all the kids look like they just went on a hot-topic shopping spree.

tylerTOXICITY
This will be great!
big grin

Dr. Leg Kick
the remake should be dark and more mysterious.

the original was good, i liked it but didn't really do much. it wasn't scary, mainly weird.

BackFire
The thing about Children of the Corn for me is not the actual movie but the premise behind the movie. Imagine if it really happened. It would be truly evil.

And when I was like 14, all I wanted to be was a child of the corn with no parents.

You cant talk about goofy when you fave horror is obviously TCM and have you seen Franklin lately? He nearly ruined that film for me!

There's a clear difference between one character being humorous as in TCM and the entire tone of the film being goofy as in Children of the Corn. TCM had a lot of intentional dark humor in it, but the theme and the execution was still extremely tense, which is why it's recognized as one of the best horror films around and why Children of the Corn isn't.

The premise of Corn is fine and creepy yes, the execution was not, however.

Then again, there's something inherently not scary about kids to me, particularly the kids in the original, they just didn't creep me out at all. In fact, their intimidation factor was all but destroyed in a single scene, when the man just kinda tosses one aside when it charges at him. While that scene is my favorite in the movie, it certainly wasn't scary.

I remember watching the film a couple of years back with some friends and we were laughing our asses off throughout. Not saying the original is bad. Just that it's not scary at all. Before you, I'd never even heard of anyone who found it scary, I'm not even sure the intent of the film is to be scary as much as it is to just be whacky and weird and kinda funny.

The ending from the book, from the sound of it, should be kept in, though. It sounded very dark and grim and that woulda helped immensely.

Bat Dude
Originally posted by Blinky
I liked the orginal. The new one will probably have a have a shitty Metal soundtrack and make all the kids look like they just went on a hot-topic shopping spree.

You've just found the way to ruin ANY movie... Congrats!

Another remake... Meh...

I wasn't alive when it first came out, but I remember the red haired dude had a pretty funky name... Don't remember exactly what it was, though... And the preacher boy kinda freaked me out when I saw it as a kid (evil preachers still kinda freak me out)

deathbycorn
Children of the Corn had a serious tone through out the film. I'm not trying to start an argument with the moderator here man, but I'd really like to know what parts you thought were goofy?

I find the film for the most part is executed fine. Except the 'Hollywood' ending.

I have always found the kids in the original eerie, not scary, but eerie. I think of them as kind of like Amish kids who lived in a Bible worshiping town. And the fact that they get brainwashed into believing that "God" told them to kill their parents is what I find the scariest part of the film. There is an underlying meaning to the film to not follow what you don't know. Or something along them lines. IMO its more of a psychological horror film, and very underrated.

What I like about Children of the Corn the most is the locations though.

And another thing I like about the short story and the film is that Stephen King used several other movies as the basic outline for the film. Like Village of the Damned (evil kids), Who Can Kill A Child (middle of nowhere), The Omen (god vs satan), and The Wicker Man (sacrifices for crops).

But yes, as I said, and you have said, if they keep the short story ending intact, it could be one hell of a dark film.

deathbycorn
This is one image I find scary in the film. And the quote from the short story.

The space behind the pulpit was dominated by a gigantic portrait of Christ, and Burt thought: If nothing else in this town gave Vicky the screaming meemies, this would. The Christ was grinning, vulpine. His eyes were wide and staring, reminding Burt uneasily of Lon Chaney in The Phantom of the Opera. In each of the wide black pupils someone (a sinner, presumably) was drowning in a lake of fire. But the oddest thing was that this Christ had green hair which on closer examination revealed itself to be a twining mass of early-summer corn. The picture was crudely done but effective. It looked like a comic-strip mural done by a gifted child - an Old Testament Christ, or a pagan Christ that might slaughter his sheep for sacrifice instead of leading them.

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/7250/burtmw5.jpg

The film doesn't use the book to its full effect though.

Kazenji
I'm up for the remake as long as they follow the short story.

MildPossession
I remember shopping in hot topic... Last time I took a gander in was 2005, for Nightmare Before Christmas merchandise. Still the same then?

Kazenji
Wha ?

MildPossession
Look up the posts...

BackFire
Hot Topic makes my dick soft.

kodak
A remake of Fritz Kiersch's classic 1984 film, Children of the Corn, is in the works. Adapted from a Stephen King story, the pic follows a young couple who wander into a mid-western town where all the adults are apparently dead and the children participate in a cult that worships a malevolent force in the corn fields.

This has made me so happy!

If you could choose a director to take on this project out of the directors below who would it be?
Or who would you choose?

Stephen King
Brad Anderson
Alexandre Aja
Takashi Miike
Robert Rodriguez
Christophe Gans
Francis Ford Coppola
John Carpenter
Clive Barker
Sam Raimi
Rob Zombie
Eli Roth
John Gulager Eli Roth or Rob Zombie, they are both really good, and i'd like to see more of what zombie can do.

MildPossession
Really good is pushing it... a lot.

deathbycorn
I made that list 2 years ago. The director I'd like to see direct this, even though the director has already been named, is Tim Sullivan (2001 Maniacs).

Kazenji
Really need more directors like frank darabont that know what the hell they're doing with these stephen king stories.

Evil Dead
I'm with Mr. Sexy, a.k.a. Backfire on this one.

why are people just upset about the premise of a remake? The original was decent.......for a B-movie, which is what it was. You went in expecting nothing and were pleasantly surprised.

The only reason anybody saw this film was because it was presented as "Stephen King's Children of the Corn"........if somebody makes a newer version, following more closely to the story by the over-rated king of horror, why is it a bad thing?

BruceSkywalker
Best thing for me about the original was Linda Hamilton. Th original was goofy, yet fair. The remake should be a better story and more violence.

MildPossession
David Anders (HEROES) and Kandyse McClure (REAPER) are the first to be cast in Anchor Bay and Starz Entertainment's made-for-TV remake, which will have it's premiere on the Sci-Fi Channel next year. Original producer Donald P. Borchers will be directing from his own screenplay .

I don't watch Reaper so wouldn't know what she is like. I watch Heroes and see they have cast 'Adam' in the film. Preferably with an American accent now, and not English.

deathbycorn
I hope she isn't taking Linda Hamilton's role cause shes black!

MildPossession
It doesn't matter. It's not like it's a role like James Bond, who has always been white and iconic. It doesn't change anything important if the new role is played by an actress who is black... as long as she can act that's all that matters really in the storyline.

deathbycorn
Just seems weird as there was no black people in the original. Is there black people in Iowa?

MildPossession
I believe the population is mostly white, but there is a % of black people in Iowa yes. So it's possible to have a black lead.

Evil Dead
Iowa? I thought it was Gatlin, Nebraska? I haven't watched it since I bought the dvd many a year ago so I could be wrong........could of sworn it though.

tylerTOXICITY
I also thought it was Gatlin, Nebraska

Kazenji

What about the character in the short story was she White or African-American ?

deathbycorn
Iowa is where it's being filmed and to my knowledge (being Australian and judging by movies and Slipknot) Iowa is one of them Klu Klux Klan type places!! Hehe well not the racist part, just full of whiteys! But what do I know, I'm Australian!!

And I don't think it said it in the short story but the film and the other short film based on the story, Deciples of the Crow, also had white leads, so I reckon they should stick to a white couple as the leads. But I spose if it didn't say it in the short story they can do anything they want.

MildPossession
Does it really matter...

deathbycorn
For the sake of continuity, yes!

MildPossession
It's not a sequel though, it's a remake of the same story, not following on. You would be correct if they were making a sequel and the same character was suddenly black...

BruceSkywalker

Actually she is South African and is most famous for her role on Battlestar Galactica. She could very well be Linda Hamilton's role but I will wait and see until more people are added

MildPossession
I've just looked her up on google and she seems fine. Seems a bit old to take one of the Corn Children roles in the film so probably is playing the Hamilton role.

Blinky
Two things that made this sound worse:

1)Made for TV.
2)Premiers on SCI-FI channel.

Sorry folks but movies made for the SCI-FI channel are usually less than shit.

Something else, I just finished reading the short story by King (I'm reading Night Shift). Now that I have read the story I can safely say that the 80's movie was really different from it. The story was a lot darker and the main characters themselves were not that likable. I would support a remake that is darker, more brutal, more scary... more true to the story. I am probably hoping for too much, especially from the SCI-FI channel.

MildPossession
I don't get the sci-fi channel here, I take it that is a good thing then...

MildPossession
The new Malachai has been found, in the form of CIRQUE DE FREAK actor Daniel Newman. The redux, which already has a slot on the Sci Fi Channel for its premiere in 2009, is being directed by Donald Borchers, one of the producers on the 1984 original.

deathbycorn

deathbycorn
In the original you only see a few adults get killed in the cafe at the start. I hope in this remake we see more of the children killing more adults, and Issac actually telling them to go and kill their parents. That would be pretty evil. In the original there was a deleted scene that never made it to special features on the DVD versions where you saw a longer prologue where several other adults are killed, most noticlbly a deputy whose throat is slashed and then stabbed in the chest, and a farmer who is hacked to death outside his barn by a group of scythe wielding kids.

BackFire
I think it's impossible to show children killing adults without being corny and cheesy. It kinda becomes inherently funny if you see kids slaughtering adults, like self parody.

Needs to simply be implied.

deathbycorn
I get what your saying but have you seen Who Can Kill A Child or Them?

You can make a movie about kids killing adults very terrifying.

MildPossession
Watch Eden Lake, sounds like it can be done. Kids(yes older ones) killing an adult. Getting good reviews here. Doesn't sound corny or cheesy at all. One reviewer said it's one of the best British horror films to come out in a long time.

BackFire
Older ones are acceptable.

I meant young ones.

I think it can be shown, but not explicitly. In Them it's not even clear that it's children until the end and even then you don't see them commit the murders.

MildPossession
That's sort of a surprise in the film...

BackFire
You're right.

Should have spoiler tags.

deathbycorn
Well BackFire, just wait and see what they do before you call it corny!!

I think it could be done.

BackFire
Well the fact that this is going to be a TV movie doesn't give reason for excitement.

deathbycorn
They reckon its going theatrical too but I highly doubt a movie premiering on Sci Fi would go to cinemas.

MildPossession
I can't be arsed to look back and read through everything so sorry if you posted this in your long post.

Former Vietnam vet Burt's marriage to former prom queen Vicky is on the rocks, but Burt hopes to rekindle their old flame with a second honeymoon driving trip. Unfortunately, their journey takes them into the heart of darkness - a seemingly deserted rural community that conceals a grim secret among its rows of tall corn... It was also revealed that this will be a period piece set in the 1970s.

When was the original set, can't remember?

deathbycorn
The short story takes place in 1976.

And the first film takes place in 1983 or 1984.

Moonmaiden
I'm a Mom of one of the special extras in the new Children of the Corn movie. Yes the lady from Battlestar and the man from Hero's are the man & lady in the film. The kids wear amish looking outfits, so be a sured there is no Hot Topic clothing involved. It is being filmed in eastern Iowa, on a map we would be the bottom of the nose. We do have black people in Iowa and Koreans and Viet Namese and Mexicans and many more nationalities. We are quite diverse. I've only been to one shoot, so I can't tell you too much.

deathbycorn
Would be really great if you could keep us updated on the shoot smile

Thats heaps cool that your child is a child of the corn!!

occultdestroyer
Who cares?

It's a "corny" movie anyways.

MildPossession
ANYWAY...

That sounds really good Moonmaiden, like DeathbyCorn said, will be very interested to hear more if you get any good information.

Moonmaiden
she has one more week of filming, she doesn't report every day,being an extra and all. I'll let you know more next week after she films some more.

deathbycorn
Cool, thanks heaps.

Try and find out what they are doing for the He Who Walks Behind The Rows creature.

deathbycorn
Some of the pictures that are doing the rounds on the net suggest to me that this is following the short story VERY closely.

**** this is going to be cool.

deathbycorn
http://scifiwire.com/2009/01/children-of-the-corns-hot-kandyse-mcclure-will-make-you-forget-dualla.php#more

Interview with Vicky.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.