Has anyone else

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ManO'Tomorrow
notice that the writers appear to have become much more adept at making subtle references (as opposed to the blatantly obvious ones they use to make)? For instance, shooting the arrow into the spot where Borneo is located on the Daily Planet Globe or having Chloe correct Lois' horrific spelling. However, they faltered at the very end of the episode when they had Chloe give Clark a red kite that is in the shape of the superman emblem while talking about how he should think about the possibilities.

Three cheers for subtlety!

Marth18
they've always done that in almost every episode SILENCE FOOL........haha

Kal875
Originally posted by Marth18
they've always done that in almost every episode SILENCE FOOL........haha muahahahaha

Marth18
You know, i'll help you out on this one....i say we use this thread to name ALLLLL the times they've done it.....i can only name a few like when

1. Lois rapped him up in a red blanket when she found him in season 4 ep 1.

2. When he said he liked the cape when he was dressed as Zoro.

3. WEARING A RED JACKET AND BLUE SHIRT IN EVERY EPISODE LOL

4. the scar on his chest? i dunno

Kal875
5. hateing masks(thirst)

6. in the 1st ep.where he wore the red blanket after the car crash

Marth18
yea the cape and mask was the same ep same suit too lol

ManO'Tomorrow
Originally posted by Marth18
they've always done that in almost every episode SILENCE FOOL........haha

Yes, they've always put in some kind of reference but usually it's a terribly obvious one or one that you have to laugh at because it's that bad. Take the fifth season's episode Exposed for example. I think that by the third of fourth reference the audience realized that the actor who played Jonathan Kent is the same actor that played Bo Duke in the Dukes of Hazzard and the following references were unnecessary. I was saying that now they've become a little more subtle.

Marth18
that was a funny episode lol, they havnt done anything with The actress that plays martha kent being Lana in the christopher reeves movies, woulda been cool

Big Sexy
I have one. Remember when the Lois from the Superman movies made references to Martha about being with Dr Swann whose destiny was greater than hers.

Marth18
HAHAHA thats awesome, dont remember that

AstroFan
Last night Lois said "have you looked up in the sky lately". stick out tongue

Marth18
Also, season 4 episode 1, when clark was flying to the plane, the pilots in the airplane carring lex said while looking at the radar.."What is that? A bird? A plane?"

Kal875
Guys(and gals) I have just recently came to the answer as to where they get Clarks plaid shirts, It took me forever lookin all throughout the web but I found out that Acrombie and Finch have all the kind of Plaid and Flanel T-shirts Clark wears. Didnt Tom work for Acrombie and Finch before Smallville?

(obviously I didnt spell the store name correctly but you all nknow which one I'm talking about)

Marth18
isnt it Ambercombie? hell i dont know, that place is for **** anyways

Kal875
well you know thhe store better then me for spelling the name right. 10 POINTS TO MARTH!!!!!!!!!1

seancstew
ABERCROMBIE AND FITCH...(correct spelling)

Also known as, the place where silly, idiotic, image concious shop so that they may hopefully at some pointhave a chance to be normal...

of course, I probably misspelled concious.. but then again, I give about 3 poops.

Anyway, I have been watching smallville since its inception, and I am loathe to be called a fanboy about anything. BUT, I have noticed, that in EVERY episode clark does seem to wear red and blue. it was the same way in S5 ep4, when AquaTeen ( sorry, he aint a man yet) wore teal and orange ( of course, he was supposedly from miami, and he might have been a HUGE dolphins fan)

Subtle references are the key to smallville, same as in Superman returns, that movie was chock full of them(at least none of them related to richard prior)

I am still catching up on season 5, since I was depoyed for most of it. All I can say is this.

Chloe, well, she is hot, physically, she gets a 6(compared to lana's and lois's 10's) but, seriously, damn, her character is really cool.

lana, yeah, shes hot, but vindictive, silly, and overall, a total ditz. HELLO!!! clark died, then shows up in a nearly burned shirt after a nuke nearly decimated smallville.

Lois, give the character time to grow, she has not had nearly enough exposure, other than comic relief.

allright, I invite the flames, and its good to be here.

Sean. (and in response to another thread, yes, that is my real first name)

seancstew
Oh, another subtle reference.

if anyone missed the fact that oliver was the geen arrow, then it should have been obvious the minute that...

A) His name was mentioned and then later, he as seen with bow and arrow.

and

B) he is blonde, rich, and an enemy of the luthors.

(the green arrow HATED lex, period. his enmity with him went deeper than Supe's ever could, which was poorly relayedin the comics.)

seancstew
oh yeah, another one.....

regarding Aqua...

AC "We should start up a junior lifeguard association"

Clark " I am not sure that I am ready for the JLA yet"

Wow, talk about subtle. big grin that make the red and blue flannel sirts seem like a beacon on a lighthouse.

bah, Smallville is full if references to the movies, and the comics. Thats why people like us like it so much. It goes beyond the typical formula that so often keeps the shallow ( hehe, sorry, shallow, Aquaman, GET IT MUAHHAAHAHA!!!!)
People occupied, I mean, I can only be so desparate, and frankly, getting lost and seeing a tree on a hill is not that exciting.

Okay, if that was not subtlile enough, then I dont dont know what is....

But, sadly enough, I can always be found on gilmore street..

(okay, I am a little bit of a sap, but ONLY a little)

again flames welcome, andresponses required. OH!!! pop quiz...

when was milton fine officially named braniac in the series?

Dan-El
I think that the Smallville writers may have perfected "Obvious Subtlety". Think about it: Obvious to us, but very subtle to the characters and/or anyone who knows nothing about Superman while watching Smallville.

Besides, I love the corny references. Like when Clark was "updating" the school symbol with his stylized "S" in metal shop (1st season)

LÉONpro2007
Dan-El, why are you using my boyfriend (Ast)'s sig? lol

seancstew
DAN-El...

Very true, they have perfected it. Otherwise, they would not have such a huge fan base. lets be honest, the first season, the main fans were the people that "got it" in other words, the people that understood where it was going. Then in the later seasons, the story go tmore involved, and the super ( pardon the pun) references got by lined, at least until the end of season three. then season four rolls around, and BAM, clark is flying, he is ripping doors off of airplanes, the link between him and lana is revealed, and, he makes his debut as a bad guy.

most people that were not fans of supe's became fans after SV season one, becuase it made the mythos more personal, and it built on that until they felt comfortable in showing clark for wathe truly is.

on a cycnical note, this MIGHT have soethingto do with the new superman movie grossing uber millions of dollars, of course, it may never have done so well if smallville never existed.

meh, who cares, its a good show, with some engaging stories. BRING ON THE OBVIOUS REFERENCES!

ten bucks they introduce wonder woman in the show before the premiere of the movie. ath which point, I will probably puke.

Big Sexy
Originally posted by seancstew
oh yeah, another one.....

regarding Aqua...

AC "We should start up a junior lifeguard association"

Clark " I am not sure that I am ready for the JLA yet"

Wow, talk about subtle. big grin that make the red and blue flannel sirts seem like a beacon on a lighthouse.

bah, Smallville is full if references to the movies, and the comics. Thats why people like us like it so much. It goes beyond the typical formula that so often keeps the shallow ( hehe, sorry, shallow, Aquaman, GET IT MUAHHAAHAHA!!!!)
People occupied, I mean, I can only be so desparate, and frankly, getting lost and seeing a tree on a hill is not that exciting.

Okay, if that was not subtlile enough, then I dont dont know what is....

But, sadly enough, I can always be found on gilmore street..

(okay, I am a little bit of a sap, but ONLY a little)

again flames welcome, andresponses required. OH!!! pop quiz...

when was milton fine officially named braniac in the series? He never was officially stated as Braniac but the evidence is very implied. One of the biggest I have noticed was that he had knowledge of the ways of earth, its history, and its people within a few days of being their. This is very similair to the JLA Braniac who absorbed knowledge of the planets info within hours of being there.

seancstew
Exactly...

If it was not for the simple fact that he was reffered to as Braniac in numerous fan posts, then NO BODy would have known.

and the fact that he was a construct, (created out of 10w30 motor oil if you are a fan of visuals).

okay, when did everyone start noticing the subtle musical references to the original movies? I noticed around the middle of season four.

Dan-El

ten bucks they introduce wonder woman in the show before the premiere of the movie. ath which point, I will probably puke.

I sincerely doubt it. The movie execs who have their hands on Wonder Woman (figuratively speaking) aren't letting Gough and Miller do any Smallville stories involving the Amazon.

Kal875
Exactly...

If it was not for the simple fact that he was reffered to as Braniac in numerous fan posts, then NO BODy would have known.

and the fact that he was a construct, (created out of 10w30 motor oil if you are a fan of visuals).

okay, when did everyone start noticing the subtle musical references to the original movies? I noticed around the middle of season four. season 4 season 5 and the season premier of 6

also, welcome Sean

NoFate007
I love all the little nods that they throw in. I just wish we would see something winking at Bruce Wayne. I know he's too young to be Batman now, seeing as he should probably be away from the US and training, but I'd like to see something like "Wayne Enterprises Heir Missing" on the news, or uh...ya know...something lol. Forgive me for the half-assed post...I'm sitting here in my terribly boring waste of time mandatory (and unnecessary) computer class at 9 in the morning and I haven't woken up yet.

seancstew
oops...

My bad, milton fine WAS reffered to as braniac... but only if you caught it.

Season five, the last ep, when clark was in the fortress, Jor El called fine...

" The brain Interactive Construct"

I KNEW he was called it the series, it just slipped my mind.

(well, he was not called braniac, but still, its there)

H. S. 6
I really like the "Borneo" line at the end of the last episode. Finally, some decent writing. stick out tongue

Kal875
at the back of the season 5 box it calls him braniac but that doesnt count

Marth18
hmm interesting (said it on a magazine also)

Dan-El
Well, think of it this way:

Milton Fine is called the "BRAIN InterActive Construct" or "BRAIN I.A.C."

Marth18
Makes enough sense to me!

Kal875
yup

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.