Do Christian's really believe in one god?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Zero25
A topic brought up in World Religions that to me was very interesting. I'm just looking for feed back into what people think.

My questions- Is believeing in the devil polytheistic? Why wouldn't god just vanquish him if god were so omnipotent?

Templares
The classic Problem of Evil debacle. The existence of Satan shows that godis neither omnipotent or perfectly good or both.

debbiejo
For most religions to work there must be dualism..........evil and good fighting.

Alliance

Jim Reaper
Originally posted by Zero25

My questions- Is believeing in the devil polytheistic? Why wouldn't god just vanquish him if god were so omnipotent?

Some say the devil is an agent used by god to test mens faith, so god's basically malicious. He needs entertainment, he gets bored up in heaven.

Alliance
Another likely scenario.

Zero25

Alliance
No, because its three persona's of one God. Many faces for one being.

Same as Hinduism.

Hence the term Henotheism (becuase its still one god, but not one being)

Zero25
Originally posted by Alliance

Same as Hinduism.

Hence the term Henotheism (becuase its still one god, but not one being)

Understood. But what about the devil who is a seperate being.

Alliance
Well, if you accept the devil is another god argument (which I don't) then Christianity is a unique combination of polytheism.

Don't forget, certain sects buy one argument and not others, so all permutations are considered accurate.

I've heard the argument that the devil is yet antoher face of god, hsi dark side so to speak.

Since god created angels (apparently) and in omnipotent (apparently) I feel that he chose Lucifer and in essence commanded him to create hell. God controls the "devil" in my book. But then again, I'm not Christian and never really was.

Zero25
Well, if you accept the devil is another god argument (which I don't) then Christianity is a unique combination of polytheism.

Don't forget, certain sects buy one argument and not others, so all permutations are considered accurate.

I've heard the argument that the devil is yet antoher face of god, hsi dark side so to speak.

Since god created angels (apparently) and in omnipotent (apparently) I feel that he chose Lucifer and in essence commanded him to create hell. God controls the "devil" in my book. But then again, I'm not Christian and never really was.

These are good feedback info. Now all we do is wait for JIA.

Alliance
Joy.

debbiejo

Alliance
Jesus is Venus?

debbiejo
Yes the bright and morning star...........

Alliance
Venus.

Quiero Mota

That's exactly my opinon of the Trinity.

debbiejo
Yes the first star seen at night though not really a star and later Satan was also called that......hmm

I can find the scripture if you want

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by debbiejo
Yes the first star seen at night though not really a star and later Satan was also called that......hmm

What the hell are you talking about?

Alliance
The references bwteen the "Satan" and "The Morning Star"

debbiejo
Yes, both Jesus and Lucifer are called the bright and morning star....But in reality it was talking about Venus. Venus is the brightest light. People thought it was a star.

Alliance
One of the "wanderers" of Aristotelian astronomy, which was used at that time.

debbiejo
So Jesus and Lucifer are really a planet!! rolling on floor laughing

Alliance
Sounds pagan to me. erm

debbiejo
Sure does..........Blessed be Venus!!

Alliance
Ok planet worshipers.

debbiejo
Christians are Pagan.....Christians are Pagan.....Christians are Pagan.....Christians are Pagan.....Christians are Pagan.....Christians are Pagan.....Christians are Pagan.....Christians are Pagan.....Christians are Pagan.....Christians are Pagan.....Christians are Pagan.....Christians are Pagan.....dance

And they won't admit it!

Zero25
Originally posted by debbiejo
Christians are Pagan.....Christians are Pagan.....Christians are Pagan.....Christians are Pagan.....Christians are Pagan.....Christians are Pagan.....Christians are Pagan.....Christians are Pagan.....Christians are Pagan.....Christians are Pagan.....Christians are Pagan.....Christians are Pagan.....dance

And they won't admit it!

They sure won't

Nellinator
Jesus was a planet? Interesting...

Alliance
The "morning star" has been a term for Venus for millenia, because it is still clearly visible during dawn, even when all other stars have faded.

Its also a type of mace messed.

SupezM'
Lucifer was his title when he was an angel.

S.C.U.D DF
The whole fact is that GOD is a caring GOD. The whole polythiesim myth's are just people wondering what if. If you think about it. Every one make's a decision. But, at time's there is a what if braught up. Just a little voice you hear in the back of your head. I believe that is god, guiding us. Not necisarly saying our choice will be wrong, just that we need to think it through. Something Bad/Evil may come of it.

But back to aspect, God is not a kill. Or so in my eye's or have heard. He couludnt kill lucifer, Lucifer just wanted more. Lucifer wanted what God had. There is Only 1 GOD. None like him. He banished Lucifer.
Or so this is what I believe. I dont think any religion has it exactly correct. But almost every religion is based upon GOD. Except for the watcha yahyah blow yourself up sh*t.

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by S.C.U.D DF
The whole fact is that GOD is a caring GOD. The whole polythiesim myth's are just people wondering what if. If you think about it. Every one make's a decision. But, at time's there is a what if braught up. Just a little voice you hear in the back of your head. I believe that is god, guiding us. Not necisarly saying our choice will be wrong, just that we need to think it through. Something Bad/Evil may come of it.

Wait... so your God is a caring God by polytheistic belief is just people wondering what if? Your logic... disturbs me.

Essentially you are saying your conscience is a proof of God. To my knowledge a conscious is a human thing, I am yet to see any reason to associate God with it.

No, he isn't a killer. He didn't kill the world with a flood. He didn't kill the Egyptian first Born's. He hasn't ordered people to kill cities full of people. He didn't send Jesus to his death. He doesn't let millions die in natural disasters and to plagues and to...

So you eyes have heard? Typically you haven't seen God, nor heard him. You are operating on what others have told you.

God couldn't kill Lucifer because God isn't truly good. He needed Lucifer to do his dirty work. Or something.

Mature. I see lots of religions, lots of gods, all equally valid, and no evidence that every god out there is in fact based upon the Christian God. The Christian God is based upon the Jewish God.

Kaled
Originally posted by Zero25
A topic brought up in World Religions that to me was very interesting. I'm just looking for feed back into what people think.

i'm not a chirstian, but i think the idea of total purity is also allowing chioce, if he made everything great you would not have free will to be evil. plus being so pure he can't kill anyone because anyone can change

ADarksideJedi
Acouse they believe in one God?Why would they not?And how come the G on God is not cap?jm

crazy
JM you really confuse me sometimes.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.