What and Who are ANGELS????

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The Prophecy
Who are they?

What are they capable of?

How powerful are they?

Do they have rankings?

Do they have names ?

Alliance
Where did you get the image in your avy?

The Prophecy
Originally posted by Alliance
Where did you get the image in your avy?

You like It? Well I'm sorry but I forgot the Website I really was trying to remember.Try searching for angel avatars .

Alliance
I don't really know much about angels so, sorry I can't answer your questions.

The Prophecy
I don't really know much about angels so, sorry I can't answer your questions.

No problem , dude.I'm just glad you liked my avatar lol

Alliance
Hehe. I'm using an angel in my current drawing, and its similar.

The Prophecy
Hehe. I'm using an angel in my current drawing, and its similar.

You like drawing angels?? smile

Alliance
No, I like using mythology in my work.

The Prophecy
Oh cool!!!!!!!!!!!! I know you've seen my other thread "Superangels" thats why I have this one as a bonus for my comic so I can learn more about angels.

Alliance
laughing out loud

The Prophecy
laughing out loud

whats so funny lol

Lord Urizen
Originally posted by The Prophecy
Who are they?

You come up with pretty cool questions...to be dead honest, i used to be fascinated with the mythology and beleif in Angels, as well as the majesty that comes with thier imagined being.

Angels have many identities. Thier roots come from mythologies, such as Christianity and many other religions that preceded it...Here are a few:

1) Servants/warriors/messengers of God

2) Innocent people, particularly children

3) Benign Spirits who enter the physical world in an attempt to help those who cannot help themselves

4) Powerful creatures who work for either a single powerful God or for a Pantheon of Powerful Gods

5) Beings of a higher essence, who are able to access the broader Universe and are not limitted by mortal limitations.

1) Performing any and all feats on a physical level due to lack of risk of bodily harm

2) Flying through the vacuum of space, on the surface and heart of stars, at speeds at or faster than light

3) If an angel lacks a physical body, then teleportation between the physical realms seems like childs play

4) Wield Energy for either offense or defense.

5) If an Angel possesses a physical body, then they probably have superhuman strength

How powerful are they?

No one really knows, because they may not truly exist.

However, in many mythos Angels have been said to easily deliver death to mortals of any kind, touch the souls of human beings, etc.

They are only as powerful as thier God or Gods allow them to be...

Some mythos beleive that Angels are beings above mankind, independent of any god/gods, and are the highest form of creation capable of all things imaginable.

Do they have rankings?

Yes..according to mainsteam religions, the SERAPHIM happens to be the highest order of angels and the most powerful.

According to Christianity, Micheal is the most powerful of the Archangels and is God's first and greatest warrior

Do they have names ?

Yes...quite a few...

Micheal
Lucifer
Gabrielle
Uriel

Lord Urizen
You like drawing angels?? smile

I do... yes i find angels to be one of the most fascinating mythologies EVER...

The Prophecy
Originally posted by Lord Urizen
You come up with pretty cool questions...to be dead honest, i used to be fascinated with the mythology and beleif in Angels, as well as the majesty that comes with thier imagined being.

Angels have many identities. Thier roots come from mythologies, such as Christianity and many other religions that preceded it...Here are a few:

1) Servants/warriors/messengers of God

2) Innocent people, particularly children

3) Benign Spirits who enter the physical world in an attempt to help those who cannot help themselves

4) Powerful creatures who work for either a single powerful God or for a Pantheon of Powerful Gods

5) Beings of a higher essence, who are able to access the broader Universe and are not limitted by mortal limitations.

1) Performing any and all feats on a physical level due to lack of risk of bodily harm

2) Flying through the vacuum of space, on the surface and heart of stars, at speeds at or faster than light

3) If an angel lacks a physical body, then teleportation between the physical realms seems like childs play

4) Wield Energy for either offense or defense.

5) If an Angel possesses a physical body, then they probably have superhuman strength

No one really knows, because they may not truly exist.

However, in many mythos Angels have been said to easily deliver death to mortals of any kind, touch the souls of human beings, etc.

They are only as powerful as thier God or Gods allow them to be...

Some mythos beleive that Angels are beings above mankind, independent of any god/gods, and are the highest form of creation capable of all things imaginable.

Yes..according to mainsteam religions, the SERAPHIM happens to be the highest order of angels and the most powerful.

According to Christianity, Micheal is the most powerful of the Archangels and is God's first and greatest warrior

Yes...quite a few...

Micheal
Lucifer
Gabrielle
Uriel

Thanks for the info and I also find angels fascinating to draw.

Alliance
whats so funny lol

You just got really excited. smile

The Prophecy
You just got really excited. smile

Oh!! laughing

Lord Urizen
Thanks for the info and I also find angels fascinating to draw.

Yes, they are fascinating, beautiful, majestic, and mysterious.

Just keep in mind that angels have been preceded by other creatures; mix of human and wings have existed before the mainstream religions deemed them "angels"...

Read "Spawn", and "Berzerk" for more inspiration. "Devil May Cry" is also a good inspiration, for all that demonic/angelic stuff.

It's hott shit bro lol

The Prophecy
Yes, they are fascinating, beautiful, majestic, and mysterious.

Just keep in mind that angels have been preceded by other creatures; mix of human and wings have existed before the mainstream religions deemed them "angels"...

Read "Spawn", and "Berzerk" for more inspiration. "Devil May Cry" is also a good inspiration, for all that demonic/angelic stuff.

It's hott shit bro lol

Ok,I will.But remember I have to ccome up with a non-anime half angel half demon character,so it's going to be tough.

Deano
angels are whatever you think they are

FeceMan
Seraphim are my favorite angels. They have six wings, using two to cover their eyes, two to cover their feet, and the remaining two in order to fly.

Storm
Who are they?

How powerful are they?

Do they have rankings?

Do they have names ?
It depends, angels are beings that exist beyond a Christian concept.

Mindship
Who are they?
How powerful are they?
Do they have rankings?
Do they have names ?

http://www.steliart.com/angelology.html

Google up angelology for more.

Zero25
Originally posted by Mindship
http://www.steliart.com/angelology.html

Google up angelology for more.

I only know what I looked up, in Christianity they were created to protect humans, from what, I don't remember. Another name for an angel is Azriel, the angel of death.

peejayd
Who are they?

* according to the Bible...

"But to what angel has he ever said, Sit at my right hand, till I make thy enemies a stool for thy feet?
Are they not all ministering spirits sent forth to serve, for the sake of those who are to obtain salvation?"
Hebrews 1:13-14

* angels are spirits (no flesh and bones, Luke 24:39) and they are sent forth by God to serve those people who shall obtain salvation...

"The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear him, and delivers them."
Psalms 34:7

* not all people have guardian angels, but only those who fear God...

"In order to change the course of affairs your servant Jo'ab did this. But my lord has wisdom like the wisdom of the angel of God to know all things that are on the earth."
II Samuel 14:20

* angels know all things on earth...

"And the angel answered him, I am Gabriel, who stand in the presence of God; and I was sent to speak to you, and to bring you this good news.
And behold, you will be silent and unable to speak until the day that these things come to pass, because you did not believe my words, which will be fulfilled in their time."
Luke 1:19-20

* they are capable of making a person mute, or something like that...

"And they struck with blindness the men who were at the door of the house, both small and great, so that they wearied themselves groping for the door."
Genesis 19:11

* as well as making a person blind...

* angels, having the power of free will, can also commit sin against God...

"When men began to multiply on the face of the ground, and daughters were born to them,
The sons of God saw that the daughters of men were fair; and they took to wife such of them as they chose.
Then the LORD said, My spirit shall not abide in man for ever, for he is flesh, but his days shall be a hundred and twenty years.
The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men, and they bore children to them. These were the mighty men that were of old, the men of renown.
The LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually."
Genesis 6:1-5

"For if God did not spare the angels when they sinned, but cast them into hell and committed them to pits of nether gloom to be kept until the judgment;
If he did not spare the ancient world, but preserved Noah, a herald of righteousness, with seven other persons, when he brought a flood upon the world of the ungodly;"
II Peter 2:4-5

* angels also are capable of committing sin...

How powerful are they?

"For they cannot die any more, because they are equal to angels and are sons of God, being sons of the resurrection."
Luke 20:36

* angels don't die...

"Whereas angels, though greater in might and power, do not pronounce a reviling judgment upon them before the Lord."
II Peter 2:11

* angels have greater power and might than humans...

Do they have rankings?

* there are Seraphims, Cherubims/Cherubs, and others... the Bible only mentions Archangels, which was supposed to be the leader or high-ranking angels...

Do they have names ?

* Satan was once an angel, he was a morning star...

"But when the archangel Michael, contending with the devil, disputed about the body of Moses, he did not presume to pronounce a reviling judgment upon him, but said, The Lord rebuke you."
Jude 9

* Michael is an archangel and Gabriel is an angel... there are other angels mentioned but it is from Apochrypha so i cannot consider them... wink

Shalimar_fox
Who are they?Angels are like gods army(not that he needs one),messagers,they praise him ,etc.

What are they capable of?what ever God tell them to do

How powerful are they?great power only angel can destory one if not several countrys

Do they have rankings?Yes,the devil was an high ranking angel,the angel of music.

Do they have names? yes

debbiejo
There is something here, don't know if I'd call them angels though in my opinion it doesn't matter what you call them.

Shalimar_fox
yea,i my self am not worring about angels.i'm focus on the father,son,and really on the holy ghost

JesusIsAlive

debbiejo
Don't forget Angels of confusion and false testamony, false religous angels.

Regret
Who are they?

How powerful are they?

Do they have rankings?

Do they have names ?

The LDS view of angels:

Lord Urizen
Originally posted by JesusIsAlive
There are only three names (that I have discovered) mentioned in the Bible that refer to angels, they are Michael, Gabriel, and Abaddon (or Apollyon).

Abaddon is a character in Persian mythology.

Apollyon is Greek...more Pagan roots, huh ?

Kinda like Christianity borrowing Hades and Tarturus

crazy
I know that in Islam angels can not go against god and do not have free will like us(Lucifer I am pretty sure is a jinn and they do have free will).

Alliance
Honestly, if the devil came up to be and said "My name is Beelzebub," I'd probably sh*t myself laughing.

Quiero Mota
Who are they? God's go between from himself to humans. You can compare them to Hermes, actually.

What are they capable of? Flight, Appearing to only selected humans, taking people places, just to name a few.

How powerful are they? They're immortal for one.

Do they have rankings? Yes

Do they have names? Obviously; Michael, Gabriel etc

Lord Urizen
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
Who are they? God's go between from himself to humans. You can compare them to Hermes, actually

Actually, you can totally compare them to Hermes AND Nike, since they were both humans with wings, a myth which predated the myth of angels, and most likely influenced thier fictional creation.

Quiero Mota
Actually, you can totally compare them to Hermes AND Nike, since they were both humans with wings, a myth which predated the myth of angels, and most likely influenced thier fictional creation.

Hermes isn't human.

Alliance
I believe Hermes only had winged feet.

Quiero Mota
And a winged hat. And immortality. And along with Aphrodite, Eros is his son.

Alliance
Hermes isn't human.

Daedalus and Icarus then.

Don't angels predate humans in some Christian mythologies? Meaning they are not human?

Lord Urizen
Hermes isn't human.

Neither is Nike...

I meant to say human-like creatures with wings.

They are both demigods, and angels are a copycat of thier myths.

Alliance
Hermes and Nike were both gods.

Quiero Mota
Daedalus and Icarus then.

Yes, they're human. Hermes isn't.

Don't angels predate humans in some Egyptian mythologies? Meaning they are not human?

I don't believe the ancient Egyptians had angels. But they did have some kind of messenger from the Afterlife.

Alliance
Yes, they're human. Hermes isn't.

I don't believe the ancient Egyptians had angels. But they did have some kind of messenger from the Afterlife.

laughing I don't know why I wrote that. I meant Christian myhtologies.

Quiero Mota
laughing I don't know why I wrote that. I meant Christian myhtologies.

Ok, but still, angels ain't human.

Alliance
Ok, but still, angels ain't human.

I agree. I'm sorry I got confused on your point.

lil bitchiness
Angels are cool worriors in the name of God and Goddess for the territory of Earth, from the other God and Goddess, we tend to refer to as Satan...

So anyway, they are getting humans on their side, who battle it out on earth, while Angels are batteling it out on earth as well as the universe, which we sometimes call Heavens - where the Gods are.

No wait...I think that was an anime....Spawn or something...

debbiejo
^ lol

Lucifer the angel of beauty, music and light!!
Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created.

The key words here are,tabret and pipes. The word "tabret" ortimbrel, Old English tabor was used for any drum. Tabouret and tabourine are diminutives of tabor, and denote the instrument now commonly known as the tambourine. Tabret is a contraction of tabouret. The Hebrew, toph is described as a hoop (sometimes with pieces of brass fixed in it to make a jingling) over which a piece of parchment is stretched. It is beaten with the fingers, and is the true typanum of the ancients

Apollo (Apollon)The god of music, light, medicine, hunting, and prophecy.

debbiejo
http://www.feedback.nildram.co.uk/richardebbs/essays/angels.htm

Angels are everywhere.

Alliance
Originally posted by debbiejo
Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created.

Isn't it amazing how the bible strives to stamp out materialism, yet every description of paradise (eden/heavan) in the bible is overtly materialistic?

ThePittman
Every time I think of angels reminds me of the revealing of the Vorlons on Babylon 5 that they were an ancient race of aliens that influenced the younger races and appeared to us and we interpreted them as angels.

debbiejo
Isn't it amazing how the bible strives to stamp out materialism, yet every description of paradise (eden/heavan) in the bible is overtly materialistic? Very very true.....Streets of GOLD, decorated with Gems.......Everyone gets a Crown......blah blah blah.....

Don't forget too that Lucifer is the angel of beauty and MUSIC!!!!! In the KJV.

Fëanor
Very very true.....Streets of GOLD, decorated with Gems.......Everyone gets a Crown......blah blah blah.....

Don't forget too that Lucifer is the angel of beauty and MUSIC!!!!! In the KJV. i thought he was the angel of light or something like that.

debbiejo

Alliance
Yeah. Lucifer was so studly, he turned all the guy angels gay.

debbiejo
MUSIC is evil in many Churches ya know because of this......some have no music at all just voices, no instruments

Alliance
Music turns people gay too. Damn Hollywood....dodgy

ThePittman
Music turns people gay too. Damn Hollywood....dodgy Sounds like everything is going to turn you gay stick out tongue

Alliance
I blame the media no expression

Sometimes I just get ticked off...and I have a test in 3.5 hrs.

ThePittman
I blame the media no expression

Sometimes I just get ticked off...and I have a test in 3.5 hrs. Good luck smile

Alliance
hehe no expression

Storm
Back on topic please.

Fëanor
Yes, and the most beautiful of all angels, but in the KJV he is also mentioned to be the angel of music with the most beautiful sounds. and that he was once the right hand of God, and knew of the coming of man and was jealous that God would favor the monkeys over his first children.

debbiejo

ThePittman
Angel discussion please................ I thought that was about angels?

debbiejo
Storm said something............ooooooooooo mean Storm.........lol

Fëanor
Angel discussion please................ i thought i was discussing angels. although i did take parts from the bible, the movie Prophecy and some book i read about an angel called Ashiel

Kaled
Angels, what are angels? well i have no clue what to say here, theres the halo and wings edition but honestly thats just absurd.

In my very limited experience of life i'd say an angel is a good person, someone who does what is right despite being able to take the easy option out, and never quitting.

debbiejo

Naib
Sorry you do have a point..........*Too much music in my ear*......lol

Yeah the RIGHT hand of god..........you'd think god being all knowing would know that this would of been the wrong angel to this job............. which begs the question of an all knowing God. or....was there an alterior motive for allowing it. if God already knew he was going to fall, why allow it? or if he didn't know...then he can't be all-knowing. kinda like a merry go round that one.

debbiejo
Precisely............He is all knowing or he is not.....

Naib
and if he's such a forgiving father, why couldn't he just forgive Lucifer or Satan or Shamael and return him back to the fold?

but here's a thought...if God is ALL that, why does he have angels to delegate work?

debbiejo
Because it is all based on certain myths...................It is most sounding like god has a government and delegates...................This is a mans point of view.......humans............not a god(s)...

Answer to you rother question..............If god is all loving, then why cannot not he forgive Lucifer......??????....................strange eh?..............yet this is all based on previous mythology................sorry to say, but true.

Naib
that pretty much says a lot about peoples religious ferver and righteousness.

debbiejo
According to the word of god...............we are all forgiven................and why not Satan, who is just Lucifer?...................If god is what he said to be then ALL can be forgiven.............and knowing all would have known this.............and would Satan (name given by the church) also known this since this is in printed literature, and he would know it.................
Because Satan only means advesary not a real person

Naib
Satan is the later Roman name for a hebrew word for adversary Shaitan. Lucifer is a latin name meaning Angel of Light. Shamael is the original hebrew or semitic name for a semitic god who opposed El-Al or El-i...which then became Allah

Marth18
If he forgave him, wouldnt he just try to do the same thing again...

debbiejo
Why?

Though some interpretations of Revelations says that the devil will try to win over those through the 1000 years after Jesus leaves with his saints.................and THEN will be the final and final judgment................... confused

Naib
Originally posted by Marth18
If he forgave him, wouldnt he just try to do the same thing again... kinda like when your dad said no you can't do that. it's all a metaphor.Originally posted by debbiejo
Why?

Though some interpretations of Revelations says that the devil will try to win over those through the 1000 years after Jesus leaves with his saints.................and THEN will be the final and final judgment................... confused then God will say, "Take my wife, please!" *drum roll-cymbals crash*

Alliance
Originally posted by Marth18
If he forgave him, wouldnt he just try to do the same thing again...

That god allegedly extends that prviledge to humans...

debbiejo
A human god made in mans
image.

RocasAtoll
A human god made in mans
image.

What? How can a human be a god?

Alliance
Shh. Its Christian.

peejayd
* God is merciful... but do you think it is in the charcater of Satan to ask God for forgiveness? i surely doubt... wink

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.