No respect if you're not from NYC.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Alfheim
Ok this is a thread I posted in the General discussion forum. I was bored and basically I was trying to say in a round about way in hip hop people from NYC and America get the most respect. If you come from the UK or anywhere else you get nothing. I dont think thats entirely true but anyway, discuss.

New York, New York

I used to listen to alot of hip hop and you always hear about how rappers always go on about how rough New York is. People would say some shit like "Oh its laid back in LA, but its rougher in NYC." Obvously I dont know but to me a ghetto is ghetto, regardless of wether it NYC or LA. It really set in when I was watching a rap documentary which had the Boo Yah Tribe, where one of the members stated "All we were about was killing." Now im not saying that thats a good thing, but its just seems that NYC rappers got this thing that LA aint rough, I think they were just jealous cos LA had a worse reputation. Also DC seems pretty ****ing rough.

Im from the UK and interestingly enough some areas of th UK are pretty bad. Like we got Manchester, which is nicknamed Gunchester. Gun crime is getting worse in the UK but it seems Manchester for a long time was one of the worst areas. Another area is Glasgow, which has a highier murder rate than New York! It must be pretty bad there cos Glasgow is alot smaller than NYC. Most crime in Glasgow is knife related and it seems that even if they could shot you, people just prefer to stab people.

There are also some parts of Belguim which are pretty rough

Then theres Brazil which seems would put some ghettoes in NYC to shame.

Anyway I dont know what my point is. I guess im saying alot of people from NYC ghettoes seem to think that the only ghettoes exist in America.

Also this:

Originally posted by Alfheim
Well...ummmm...God is that the time?? Anyway I guess im challenging a steretype that NYC is the roughest area. *shrug*

Yeah you're probably right, but do you remember when Mad Skills came out with his album. I think it was entitled "From Where???". I dont think its like that now but I kinda got the impression if you were a rapper and you were not from LA or NYC you got no respect.

I dont know about now, but American rappers tend not to give UK rappers any respect either. This is a while ago but in 96 the Wu tang went onto a radio station and basically took the piss out of all the listeners playing pranks on them, it was very disrespectful.

Phat J
i really dont put that much thought into it. i could care less who lives in the roughest ghetto, the only thing that concerns me is the music.

Alfheim
Originally posted by Phat J
i really dont put that much thought into it. i could care less who lives in the roughest ghetto, the only thing that concerns me is the music.

Yeah you're right and I agree with you, but are most people like that?

Df02

ooooh 'could care less' really rubs me the wrong way... its 'couldnt' care less...

/off topic

Phat J
yeah i never really got that either, if you could care less, then that means you do care. huh

Originally posted by Alfheim
Yeah you're right and I agree with you, but are most people like that?

i couldnt wink care less about what other think, they wanan like the rapper cuz they've done jail time well then thats their choice. i know people who like 50 cent for being the "'realest' rapper in the game" because hes been shot or whatever, but i just look at them and shake my head.

B dot Rob
Regional bias like you described is so 1995

Dr. Strangelove
Well you have to remember that old stereotype that New Yorkers don't respect anything that isn't from their own city, so the whole "New York ghetto is the worst" doesn't surprise me.

Manchester is pretty awful from what I've read. It's really turning into a real life Clockwork Orange. Scary.

I also think you have to remember that a good amount of Americans still believe or have an image of the stereotypical British person being all polite and snobby because of the accent. This leads me to believe that a lot of these rappers just can't take the fact that someone, who to them sounds upper class, has it as bad as them or worse.

vintageSW77
Yeah were all walking round in white suits with bowler hats on blasting out "SINGING IN THE RAIN" whilst beating up tramps in Manchester

Alfheim
yeah i never really got that either, if you could care less, then that means you do care. huh

i couldnt wink care less about what other think, they wanan like the rapper cuz they've done jail time well then thats their choice. i know people who like 50 cent for being the "'realest' rapper in the game" because hes been shot or whatever, but i just look at them and shake my head.

Actually neither could im just making converstaion. I wanted to be a famous rapper once but eventhough I wouldn't give up rapping completely I dont think I can be bothered to get involved in the hip hop scene because there is so much BS......its just not worth the hassle.

Anyway I dont see how coming from a ghetto makes you tougher. If you love what belongs to you, you will protect no matter where you come from. Ghetto dwellers can serioulsy understimate other people.

Originally posted by vintageSW77
Yeah were all walking round in white suits with bowler hats on blasting out "SINGING IN THE RAIN" whilst beating up tramps in Manchester

Well what is it like I was thinking of hooking up with some one from there but i was worried about the area. I dont want to sterotype but I dont wnat to be naive either.

Originally posted by B dot Rob
Regional bias like you described is so 1995

Yeah you're right, I haven't listened to hip hop for ages. I think there is stil disrespect for people in the Uk though

vintageSW77
Well there is a good Alternative scene in Manchester as well as a UNDERGROUND Hip Hop scene too.
Sure there are arseholes but you get them everywhere.
Its quite a good place to be..u just got to make sure u find yourself in the good places.
We recently have got a heavy influx of dodgy looking eastern european and African immigrants hanging around the City Centre but apart from that its cool.
The outskirts are a different story...
There are shootings but they are black on black and in mostly black only areas so if your like me(whitey)u never see it because youd NEVER go there....it just doesnt happen
That may read rascist but it isnt...its the way things are in parts of Manc.
We have 100% muslim areas where you have grafitti which reads NO WHITES and there are a lot of rascist attacks on whitey too.

I made it sound worse than A Clockwork Orange aint i....mebbe most of it is

AVOID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!

Alfheim
So basically it just have to know what areas to avoid. Im into the alternative scene anyway.

vintageSW77
I must point out that there are attacks on the muslim community by whites too...my last message looked a bit one sided.

vintageSW77
Well there is a BIG alaternative scene in Manchester
You got the Urbis where hundreds of alternative/Goth/Punk kids from all over hang out on a saturday afternoon and then you got Jillys Rockworld which is a top notch Alternative Night.
If your Alternative Manchester is buzzing.
Watch out for the "chavs" though...theres a lot of those but like i said they can be avoided.
http://jillys.co.uk/rockworld/gallery.htm

Alfheim
Originally posted by vintageSW77
Well there is a BIG alaternative scene in Manchester
You got the Urbis where hundreds of alternative/Goth/Punk kids from all over hang out on a saturday afternoon and then you got Jillys Rockworld which is a top notch Alternative Night.
If your Alternative Manchester is buzzing.
Watch out for the "chavs" though...theres a lot of those but like i said they can be avoided.
http://jillys.co.uk/rockworld/gallery.htm

The chavs would not go anywhere near me unless there is like 6 of them or they have a gun. Anyway I might go down there, but as it stands not soon.

Lets just hope WWIII doesn't start before I get there.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.