Pan's Labyrinth

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Strangelove
Pan's Labyrinth (2006)

Directed by Guillermo del Toro, to be released Dec. 29 this year

Robby001
Looks like it could be good or they could turn it bad.

Solo
I've been looking forward to it for awhile, I know a few people who've seen it. They claim it's fantastic.

Ultraman Baltan
http://www.apple.com/trailers/picturehouse/panslabyrinth/trailer/

Interesting, huh?

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Pan himself looks pretty freaky. It's a shame theatres don't come with Smellovision, then we could all get a whiff of his funk.

The movie looks pretty imaginative, but I bet it will also be pretty depressing.

PandoraMomo
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
Pan himself looks pretty freaky. It's a shame theatres don't come with Smellovision, then we could all get a whiff of his funk.

The movie looks pretty imaginative, but I bet it will also be pretty depressing.
they had a special screening of it at my theater. i didnt catch most of it, but from what I heard it was a really dark and violent movie.
I also heard that it was really good.
from what i saw it was visually amazing

Mišt
Looks pretty cool, might check it out.

Strangelove
roll eyes (sarcastic)

Solo
Originally posted by Strangelove
roll eyes (sarcastic)
?

Strangelove
Originally posted by Solo
? I was responding to BF moving the other thread here instead of merging it

Ultraman Baltan
Dude, I already made this thread.

SnakeEyes
Baltan, read the original post from both threads. His was started 9 days before yours.

Ultraman Baltan
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
Baltan, read the original post from both threads. His was started 9 days before yours.

Really? Whoops.

SnakeEyes
It's alright, man.

Now we just need a mod to merge these threads.

Solo
I'm seeing it tomorrow. I'll be sure to tell you guys what I thought of it.

MildPossession
I have never been let down by the man's work, so got to see this one, looks amazing. Like the Beetlejuice drawing on the wall in chalk to make a door part smile

Solo
Wow, probably the biggest disappointment this year. It was tedious, inconsistent, a complete mess. Really didn't like it at all.

Ya Krunk'd Floo
Originally posted by Solo
Wow, probably the biggest disappointment this year. It was tedious, inconsistent, a complete mess. Really didn't like it at all.

Oh, I'm disappointed to hear you felt that way about it. I haven't seen Pan's Labyrinth yet, but usually I can agree with your movie choices.

Still, there have been some fantastic reviews: Empire Magazine - "Dark, twisted and beautiful, this entwines fairy-tale fantasy with war-movie horror to startling effect." (5 stars), and Mark Kermode loves it, too.

MildPossession
I usually agree with Mark Kermode, so keeps hoping. smile

Solo
Originally posted by Ya Krunk'd Floo
Oh, I'm disappointed to hear you felt that way about it. I haven't seen Pan's Labyrinth yet, but usually I can agree with your movie choices.

Still, there have been some fantastic reviews: Empire Magazine - "Dark, twisted and beautiful, this entwines fairy-tale fantasy with war-movie horror to startling effect." (5 stars), and Mark Kermode loves it, too.
Well, for the most part, everyone has been loving it. It just didn't work for me. It was just kinda boring, and it was nothing we haven't really seen before.

Still a lot better than Tideland.

vintageSW77
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f2/t430774.html

Well at least u got to see it.

Tptmanno1
I really enjoyed it...

fruits
i just saw it. i really liked it, but i didn't enjoy it was much as the hype told me i would. i went into it expecting a movie good enough to change lives, cuz that's what i had heard. dont get me wrong, i enjoyed it, i thought it was good, just not THAT good.

black_goku#1
It was purty good really... it was loud though in some parts... maybe just my theater oh and som of the violence seemed well unecessary dont get me wrong i am purty sadistic but well... it seemed like the movie may have done better with a pg 13 perspective really good though the ending was sad but happy but sad..

LORDSIDIOUS01
Don't know nothing about this film only that it was nominated for BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM. How can that be? This film doesn't look one.

Solo
Originally posted by LORDSIDIOUS01
Don't know nothing about this film only that it was nominated for BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM. How can that be? This film doesn't look one.
Learn how to speak.

Prince Nauj
I really want to see this movie

allofyousuckkk
was forced to see this, it sucked

the girl was too trusting

and this movie made no sense, like, it had no point

Nellinator
I didn't like the ending, but I still thought it was a really good movie. I think the monster with the eyeball hands is another movie in the making, he was a masterpiece. I thought all the creatures: the fawn, the toad, the eyeball hand monster, were all really well done.

Tptmanno1
The end, while tragic, I thought was fitting for the tone.

I also believe that the girl (Whose name escapes me at the moment) imagined everything involving the monsters... and thus, I believe that some of the holes that people have been critical of, are just plot elements.

dawsey28
I LOVED it but...

...Man I was expecting so much more fantasy than there was in movie.

It felt more like a war movie than a dark fantasy movie like I was expecting.

Still a great movie, though and definitely worth watching.

I didn't trust that damn faun through the entire movie.

The part with the "feast" seemed almost like something out of Silent Hill.

Nellinator
I didn't trust the faun either. My friend I watched it with and I were both convinced that he was using the girl as a way to get back into the Underworld as though he had been banished.

FistOfThe North
I just saw it today for the 1st time. Didn't catch it in theatres cause it looked suspect but after watching it today, i loved it. I'm Hispanic and speak Spanish it fluently so i understood the movie outright and fortunately I didn't have to bother with reading the English subtitles with reading the sometimes aggravating subtitles.

It's gory and violent but cool. Hey, it is a fairy tale for adults, right?

I loved that monster with the eyes on the palms of his hands.

TT Luvs ya
I liked the movie i jst hated the fact it was in subtitles, i kept lookn at the writing insted of the movie. It was quite gd apart fae that.

BackFire
Great movie. So unique and inventive.

Frightening, sad, heartwarming and gruesome. Awesome stuff.

jaden101
anyone who goes into a movie expecting this is a complete idiot. IT'S A MOVIE...

all this garbage that gets spouted about films like this are so far off the mark it really is ridiculous

even worse are people who harp on about garden state and how it can change your life...or its soundtrack can change your life...why?...because natalie portman tells them it can

idiots...

InnerRise
I was severely disappointed in this movie.

Pretty much the only fantastical moments were the Toad Scene and the Dining Room scene with the monster with the eyeball hands.

I'm exceptionally let down considering I spent the 30 Dollars on the special edition. It better have some mind blowing special features on that bad bow for I have not seen them yet.

I was expecting so much more.

I do have some questions though that hopefully will be answered in the commentary and special features.

anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

Smasandian
You bought the movie before you saw it.

Wow.....

I loved the movie. I really liked the captains story and the rebels. I totally didnt expect the movie to be violent at all..
But great.

Awesome acting too.

InnerRise
Well I buy all of my movies.

I never rent anymore.

SO yeah...........I rarely purchase a movie and not like it though, I'm pretty good and knowing what I like by seeing the Trailers and reading reviews and all that jazz.

This just happens to be one of those exceptions.

I'm kind of ashamed to admit it, but I also didn't realize this movie was in Spanish.

I've yet to watch the special features, I'll do that soon.

What I find interesting is that the direct said this movie "Nearly Killed Him" and so much went into it.

Considering how little special affects was in it and how it was basically a movie set in reality for the most part like other movies, I don't see how this movie could have been any more harder to make than any other movie. I don't see how it could have "KILLED" him to make this movie.

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

doomsday49
pfffff...lol....corny and overrrrrrated!!

2D_MASTER

Untamed Love.
Pan's Labyrinth. I recently brought it on DVD, it's an excellent film despite it being in Spanish. Graphics are great, along with the storyline and characters - definitely worth the money!

Smasandian
Originally posted by InnerRise
Well I buy all of my movies.

I never rent anymore.

SO yeah...........I rarely purchase a movie and not like it though, I'm pretty good and knowing what I like by seeing the Trailers and reading reviews and all that jazz.

This just happens to be one of those exceptions.

I'm kind of ashamed to admit it, but I also didn't realize this movie was in Spanish.

I've yet to watch the special features, I'll do that soon.

What I find interesting is that the direct said this movie "Nearly Killed Him" and so much went into it.

Considering how little special affects was in it and how it was basically a movie set in reality for the most part like other movies, I don't see how this movie could have been any more harder to make than any other movie. I don't see how it could have "KILLED" him to make this movie.

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

Not knowing the exact reason why he said that doesnt entirely mean that it wasnt hard to make.

Special effects doesnt exactly mean just CGI, it could mean the the building of sets.

Or he could be refering to the stress of making this movie and I can understand why. He just came off making two successful movies in Blade 2 and Hellboy and then he made this. Something completely different and in Spanish. That's pretty big.
Also could be that he got alot of flak from producers and people complaining about how this movie is pretty intense and violent with alot of mature scenes...but it looks and plays like an fantasy kids book.

WheretoVirtue?
I just saw it and I can say it was "good." I wouldn't put it in my favorite movies or anything-but I wasn't bored at anytime during the movie.

Yeah, I wish she had done more tasks or something because that's what I thought the movie was going to mainly about. That's what I was expecting and wanted.

Soljer
Muy Excellente.

Morridini
Just saw this movie, like dit a lot. Refreshing to see good non-english movies.

Impediment
Originally posted by BackFire
Great movie. So unique and inventive.

Frightening, sad, heartwarming and gruesome. Awesome stuff.

Seconded.

I bought the DVD yesterday, and I was very pleased with my purchase after experiencing this wonderful movie.

queeq
It is. Happy Dance

brakeonthroo
Guillermo is a genius
Matt

chadbang
The wine bottle in the face ruined the movie for me. Most violent thing i've ever seen on film.

Movie tragic
Good film

Patient_Leech
I thought this movie was overrated. Some cool visuals, but not particularly interesting otherwise. The fascists were exaggerated cliches, I thought, which was annoying. But then again, I saw this when I was, let's just say... intoxicated with a particular substance (however, had I not been, I don't think it would have changed my opinion). And everyone raving about it probably raised my expectations..

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.