Rolling Stone ranks 100 best Guitarists

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Strangelove
The 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time

1Jimi Hendrix
2 Duane Allman of the Allman Brothers Band
3 B.B. King
4 Eric Clapton
5 Robert Johnson
6 Chuck Berry
7 Stevie Ray Vaughan
8 Ry Cooder
9 Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin
10 Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones
11Kirk Hammett of Metallica
12 Kurt Cobain of Nirvana
13 Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead
14 Jeff Beck
15 Carlos Santana
16 Johnny Ramone of the Ramones
17 Jack White of the White Stripes
18 John Frusciante of the Red Hot Chili Peppers
19 Richard Thompson
20 James Burton
21 George Harrison
22 Mike Bloomfield
23 Warren Haynes
24 The Edge of U2
25 Freddy King
26 Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine and Audioslave
27 Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits
28 Stephen Stills
29 Ron Asheton of the Stooges
30 Buddy Guy
31 Dick Dale
32 John Cipollina of Quicksilver Messenger Service
33 & 34 Lee Ranaldo, Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth
35 John Fahey
36 Steve Cropper of Booker T. and the MG's
37 Bo Diddley
38 Peter Green of Fleetwood Mac
39 Brian May of Queen
40 John Fogerty of Creedence Clearwater Revival
41 Clarence White of the Byrds
42 Robert Fripp of King Crimson
43 Eddie Hazel of Funkadelic
44 Scotty Moore
45 Frank Zappa
46 Les Paul
47 T-Bone Walker
48 Joe Perry of Aerosmith
49 John McLaughlin
50 Pete Townshend
51 Paul Kossoff of Free
52 Lou Reed
53 Mickey Baker
54 Jorma Kaukonen of Jefferson Airplane
55 Ritchie Blackmore of Deep Purple
56 Tom Verlaine of Television
57 Roy Buchanan
58 Dickey Betts
59 & 60 Jonny Greenwood, Ed O'Brien of Radiohead
61 Ike Turner
62 Zoot Horn Rollo of the Magic Band
63 Danny Gatton
64 Mick Ronson
65 Hubert Sumlin
66 Vernon Reid of Living Colour
67 Link Wray
68 Jerry Miller of Moby Grape
69 Steve Howe of Yes
70 Eddie Van Halen
71 Lightnin' Hopkins
72 Joni Mitchell
73 Trey Anastasio of Phish
74 Johnny Winter
75 Adam Jones of Tool
76 Ali Farka Toure
77 Henry Vestine of Canned Heat
78 Robbie Robertson of the Band
79 Cliff Gallup of the Blue Caps (1997)
80 Robert Quine of the Voidoids
81 Derek Trucks
82 David Gilmour of Pink Floyd
83 Neil Young
84 Eddie Cochran
85 Randy Rhoads
86 Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath
87 Joan Jett
88 Dave Davies of the Kinks
89 D. Boon of the Minutemen
90 Glen Buxton of Alice Cooper
91 Robby Krieger of the Doors
92 & 93 Fred "Sonic" Smith, Wayne Kramer of the MC5
94 Bert Jansch
95 Kevin Shields of My Bloody Valentine
96 Angus Young of AC/DC
97 Robert Randolph
98 Leigh Stephens of Blue Cheer
99 Greg Ginn of Black Flag
100 Kim Thayil of Soundgarden

I don't know if this has been posted here before. If so, Deathblow should close this thread immediately.

Other than that, do you agree, disagree?

The Core
Like everything else Rolling Stone puts out there, this is worthless. A list compiled of names they got out of the college kids they use for these things.

Strangelove
Originally posted by The Core
Like everything else Rolling Stone puts out there, this is worthless. A list compiled of names they got out of the college kids they use for these things. generally speaking, I'd agree

The Core
Oh, and in reading this bullshit list again, the omission of John Lee Hooker pretty much kills the credibility of this list.

A good 25% of the bands these guitarists are from, I never heard of. Sounds like some kids got a hold of their parents vinyl collection, and needed something to smoke pot to.

Kram3r
Like everything else Rolling Stone puts out there, this is worthless.

100% agree. BTW, this list is extremely old. As if Cobain out ranks Zappa by 30 places, ****ing ridiculous.

Myth
What no Dimebag Darrell? No Zakk Wylde? (btw, I'm planning on seeing Black Label Society next month!)

Darth Jello
none of the three agnew brothers? bullshit

~Da Rev~
Kirt Cobain?

David Gilmour should be higher than that, as should Adam Jones.

But i guess they do more research than I do, so its probably all solid.

BobbyD
Cobain too high-Santana too low. erm

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by ~Da Rev~

But i guess they do more research than I do, so its probably all solid.

Of course they don't; they just bang any old shit together.

StinkFist462
i dont even know where to begin about this list. so many faults.

Quiero Mota
Like everything else Rolling Stone puts out there, this is worthless. A list compiled of names they got out of the college kids they use for these things.

Yeah tell me about it, homes. For the love of God, they put Jimmy Page over Carlos Santana. What the f**k?

amity75
Eddie Van Halen at number 70? I know about 6 guys who are better guitarists than half the guys on that list.

jaden101
cobain above Robert Randolph...infact randolph at 97th?

no john butler?...no michael hedges?...no trace bundy?....don ross?...erik mongrain?....

the fact that "the edge" is even in the list

Metalhead92
I like BB King but there's no way he's better than Stevie Ray Vaughan.

BackFire
Oh look, another worthless list, how fun. Weeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Nellinator
Originally posted by Myth
What no Dimebag Darrell? No Zakk Wylde?
My thoughts exactly. Add Joe Satriani (top five no doubt), Ritchie Blackmore, Steve Vai, John Petrucci, and Slash.
Also, Zappa, Gilmour, Rhoads, and Eddie Van Halen are way too low. There is no way the Edge (and I like U2) is better than any of those guys. And Jack White that high? I don't get it.

Alpha Centauri
Jack White is underrated, if you can believe that.

-AC

Metalhead92
What no Dimebag Darrell? No Zakk Wylde? (btw, I'm planning on seeing Black Label Society next month!)

Exactly, Wylde blows Hammet out of the water, especially when it comes to soloing. I'm seeing BLS next month too where are seeing seeing them?

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
Yeah tell me about it, homes. For the love of God, they put Jimmy Page over Carlos Santana. What the f**k?

That's not incredible.

BobbyD
Originally posted by amity75
Eddie Van Halen at number 70?

Indeed...tis a shame.

Df02
i read down to Kurt Cobain and gave up.

BobbyD
Originally posted by Df02
i read down to Kurt Cobain and gave up.

That is likely where everyone should easily see that the list is (terribly) flawed....when they get to Kurt.

el_barto
This thread has already been made hasnt it?

Nellinator
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
Jack White is underrated, if you can believe that.

-AC
You really think he's top twenty material? I haven't heard a lot of White Stripes but I've never been under the impression that Jack White deserves a place among the guitar legends. Tell me some good songs that show off his stuff please.

Another thing. I don't like heavy metal much, but they do have some of the best guitarists and almost none of them are mentioned.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Nellinator
You really think he's top twenty material? I haven't heard a lot of White Stripes but I've never been under the impression that Jack White deserves a place among the guitar legends. Tell me some good songs that show off his stuff please.

Another thing. I don't like heavy metal much, but they do have some of the best guitarists and almost none of them are mentioned.

I said he's underrated, I didn't say he was some mega player. I would honestly recommend anything by The White Stripes.

That said, consider the dynamics of the music. Anything that isn't drums, is him, and there's no bassist. He's madly creative also, which is why I think he's excellent.

-AC

Pezmerga
I said he's underrated, I didn't say he was some mega player. I would honestly recommend anything by The White Stripes.

That said, consider the dynamics of the music. Anything that isn't drums, is him, and there's no bassist. He's madly creative also, which is why I think he's excellent.

-AC

I'd have to agree. Black Math, Seven Nation Army (who needs a bassist?), Hello Operator, and Jimmy the Exploder are some of my personal favorites. Also Not to mention His work on the Raconteurs. cool

Victor Von Doom
Ball and Biscuit is excellent guitar work.

~Flamboyant~
Kurt Cobain? What the f**k?

SpaceMonkey
No Johnny Cash. No Dean DeLeo(STP). Cobain too high. Van halen too low. This is crap! Do they really have pride in their work?

Alpha Centauri
They probably weren't rating it on technical skill, they couldn't have been. Therefore it must be preference, in which case we could all pick holes in each other's lists.

-AC

Victor Von Doom
Exactly.

Kurt Cobain is more worthy in some ways than many identikit shredders, though his technique is inferior.

Nellinator
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Exactly.

Kurt Cobain is more worthy in some ways than many identikit shredders, though his technique is inferior.
I also think Kurt is a good guitar player, but anywhere near the best. But, when songwriting is taken into consideration Kurt is suddenly one of the better guitar players. I'd rather listen to Nirvana than lots of bands with crazy good guitar.

demongene

I agree Darrel Abbot should be in the top 5.This list is bullshit.

vanice
I wonder what they based this list on. If it's skill or impression or maybe something else..
However i can't see how a guy like John McLaughlin is placed at nr. 49 while Kurt Cobain is at nr. 12.
And Joni Mitchell What the f**k? she's not a top 100 guitarist. If she's on the list, almost every singer/songwriter who plays the guitar could be on it.
And I also wonder what happened to Joe Satriani and Steve Vai for example.
They seem to like blues guitarists, five of the top six are blues players. That's not balanced at all.

Victor Von Doom
Joni Mitchell is an excellent guitarist.

Perhaps they went for individuality and music writing ability. Otherwise it'd be 100 shredders no-one has heard about.

jaden101
or 100 asian classical guitarists

Arctic
What about George Thorogood?

vanice

Pezmerga
Alex Lifeson should be on the damn list, if it were a real list anyway.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by vanice
Joni Mitchell is no top 100 guitarist. But she is one hell of a songwriter so that's the case I could agree.

You've basically answered your own post.

vanice
But it's a top 100 guitarist and NOT a best song writer list. I would really like to see how they made this list. Couldn't the threadstarter look it up? It would be nice.

Alpha Centauri
She's a top 100 guitarist, maybe not based on technique, but for usage.

-AC

vanice
Explain yourself. I don't even think of her as a guitarist. I know she is good at accompanying herself, but she often plays with open chords and uses other "cheats" like that, and that does not make her a top 100. I'm not saying she's a bad guitar player or anything, but there are more then a hundred guitarists that are better then her. (please don't make me count them up j/kstick out tongue )

Alpha Centauri
Read what I said again.

I said she is excellent in her use of the guitar, which she is. Better than any silly shredder.

-AC

vanice
Maybe so. I'm not a shredder fan either. However that will still not make her a top 100, but what the heck. This debate is silly. It's basically opinions. But according to me, almost every schooled or professional guitarist could be on this list if she is.

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by vanice
But it's a top 100 guitarist and NOT a best song writer list. I would really like to see how they made this list. Couldn't the threadstarter look it up? It would be nice.

Jesus.

That is a way of being a top guitarist, isn't it? Writing music on...the guitar.

Nellinator
Yes, it is, how else would Kurt Cobain have got that high on the list? And then people like John 5 not make the list? Songwriting is ultimately the most important as far as I'm concerned because that is what makes it worth listening to, although the occasional display of pure talent is worth a watch it just won't earn my repeated attention like a well written song.

vanice
I prefer separating songwriting and guitar playing. Because otherwise Bob Dylan, or someone like that, would be number one. And he isn't the best guitar player i know. I can admit that the list could be quite confusing if they would only judge talent. But the thing is Joni might as well have made her songs on the piano, she is only using the guitar to accompany herself

EPIIIBITES
Where's Navarro? What a joke!

So yeah...I guess this list isn't based on just technical ability or just song writing...it's simply based on sheer domination while using the instrument.

That's why Hendrix is number one...not because he's better technically than Stevie Ray, or better at song writing that Kurt Cobain, but because through his creative genius and imagination he was able to transport people to another world with his musicianship on the instrument.

The only other guitarist that I think has come close to reaching the heights Hendrix has in that department is Page.

...oh and c'mon...let's see what the usual fools I deal with have to say. I know you must have some kind of uninformed opinion you're dying to challenge me with. yes

Alpha Centauri
Dude, you like Robbie Williams. Your opinion means nothing.

-AC

Skeets
Here's another list I found.
http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_newguitar.html
It has a top 200 and some left over guitarist.
Cobain doesn't even make it into the top 200 in this one.

Alpha Centauri
That's basically all fan discussed and voted.

Prince at 72 is laughable. Steve Vai rates the man as one of the best ever.

-AC

Skeets
That's basically all fan discussed and voted.

Prince at 72 is laughable. Steve Vai rates the man as one of the best ever.

-AC
where would you rank him?
I have him somewhere in my top 10.

EPIIIBITES
I just noticed Prince isn't even on this top 100? WT?

Victor Von Doom
Originally posted by Skeets

That site is usually quite reliable.

They also set out their criteria.

I would say, using that, Prince should be top 20.

Skeets
I found the list of bassist a little interesting.
http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_bassguitar.html

Victor Von Doom
Yeah. It's decent, though Trevor Dunn is a glaring omission.

They also have a most skilled bassists list, which of course has Victor Wooten at number one. He's possibly the most skilled musician on any instrument.

Alpha Centauri
where would you rank him?
I have him somewhere in my top 10.

The same, probably.

-AC

Skeets
Originally posted by Victor Von Doom
Yeah. It's decent, though Trevor Dunn is a glaring omission.

They also have a most skilled bassists list, which of course has Victor Wooten at number one. He's possibly the most skilled musician on any instrument.
I'll check that one out right now.
Well since this is a guitar thread I might as well post the greatest riffs.

http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_guitarriff.html
This list is also pretty decent.Smoke on the water as number 1 is fine with me.

Alpha Centauri
There are better riffs (In my opinion), in the first two songs on Deliverance by Opeth than most of that top 50 (Most).

-AC

EPIIIBITES
Originally posted by EPIIIBITES
...oh and c'mon...let's see what the usual fools I deal with have to say. I know you must have some kind of uninformed opinion you're dying to challenge me with. yes
Well...I guess I've been proven wrong about something!!

Alpha Centauri
Can you stop this? Honestly?

We get it. You think you're right in spite of being proven wrong, you think the music you like is factually good because you like it, yes...that's nice and we get it. Do you honestly have to keep acting like a stupid little retard in every thread?

-AC

EPIIIBITES
You little worm...

After my first post on this thread...
Dude, you like Robbie Williams. Your opinion means nothing.

-AC
Nice try. Don't try and insult people's intelligence with your weaselish little mind games, boy.

Alpha Centauri
No, it really doesn't. No mind games or tricks, you like Angels. Your opinion means nothing.

-AC

Arctic
And yours does? You arrogant idiot.

Alpha Centauri
Yes, actually.

-AC

Arctic
No, I don't think so. Your post just showed how arrogant and ignorant you really are. You can respond all you want with witty little comebacks I don't care. Have fun.

EPIIIBITES
Can you stop this? Honestly?

Do you honestly have to keep acting like a stupid little retard in every thread?

- "EPIIIBITES you're s#*@, and you like Robbie Williams!!!" (runs away and posts on next thread)

Class act AC!

Just a guess...were you extremely unpopular in high school?

laughing

Alpha Centauri
I was one of the big boys. N-not a prefect.

-AC

EPIIIBITES
I was one of the big boys. N-not a prefect.

-AC
I think that says it all folks...

...he answered seriously.

AC...a big boy. A real man!!!

Oh my.

Alpha Centauri
It was a joke, a joke that multiple people on here will understand, because they know the TV show I quoted it from.

You wouldn't get it because it's British humour, a bit above you.

-AC

Arctic
British humour isn't above anything. Not even the giant pile of crap laying in your toilet right now.

EPIIIBITES
It was a joke, a joke that multiple people on here will understand, because they know the TV show I quoted it from.

You wouldn't get it because it's British humour, a bit above you.

-AC
Ummm. No actually. My favourite humour is British humour.

Here's a thought...maybe I just haven't heard it (and I really wouldn't be surprised if you did answer seriously)

Alpha Centauri
Oh and I wonder why that would be...

You blatantly have a picture of The Queen in your room. Little wannabe Brit.

-AC

Nellinator
I've had that site bookmarked for the last year. It's really helped diversify my tastes.

vanice
Seems like your having a good time guys.

I liked those new lists better, even though it was only rock guitarists and so on..

Funkadelic
Eddie Hazel only #43?
That man is a ****ing god

Puh

Jim Colyer
Glad to James Burton at #20. Lasse Wellander, who played guiter for Swedish ABBA, should be on the list.

NinthSith
Stupid list,over half the people on it shouldn't be on it.Just a bunch of popular music/rockstar's.There were acoustic guitarist's from the 30's and 40's such as Leadbelly and Woodie Guthrie that would put most of that list to shame.Hand 90% of that list a 12 string acoustic guitar and they wouldn't even know what to do with it.

souvinir
johnny ramone shouldnt be that high...he was part of an influential band (one of my favorites actually)...but talentwise the ramones arnt that good...im not saying he shouldnt be ON the list...just not number 16...over many better guitarists who couldve got that spot

Strangelove
I think it's been well-established that the list is worthless. I just posted it to spark some discussion

manorastroman
notice: 100 greatest, not 100 most technically proficient.

Leper_Messiah
Dimebag may just be the best ever along with Randy Rhoads, so why is one not listed and one ranked so low? and Halen is way underrated in this list, i don't care by what standards you rank him by but he's top ten material.

Alpha Centauri
Dimebag is nowhere near the best EVER.

Well, creatively it's opinion, but I fail to see how anybody could think that.

-AC

The Core
I don't necessarily believe that any guitarist that doesn't write their own songs belongs on such a list. As far as Dimes goes, I don't think he belongs here, because he's famous for solos, not so much song writing, and Pantera's strength, IMO, was always in the lyrics.

Leper_Messiah
Dimebag is nowhere near the best EVER.

Well, creatively it's opinion, but I fail to see how anybody could think that.

-AC

Well Guitar World mentioned him as the only guitar god of the 90s in recent issues and how couldn't he not be close to one of the best ever I mean his solos absolutely amaze many guitarists including me on how great timing and speed are combined and how well they go with the 'feeling' of the song like in "Immortally Insane" and "F***ing Hostile". But yes it's opinion creatively but guitar wise he blows way to many of those guys off the list.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Leper_Messiah
Well Guitar World mentioned him as the only guitar god of the 90s in recent issues and how couldn't he not be close to one of the best ever I mean his solos absolutely amaze many guitarists including me on how great timing and speed are combined and how well they go with the 'feeling' of the song like in "Immortally Insane" and "F***ing Hostile". But yes it's opinion creatively but guitar wise he blows way to many of those guys off the list.

A) Use punctuation.

B) So? Guitar World is still opinion.

-AC

Leper_Messiah
A) Use punctuation.

B) So? Guitar World is still opinion.

-AC
A) who cares!?*%

B) But the best opinion in my opinion.

Oh, and where is Dave Mustaine, one of the best singer/songwriters of metal and an amazing guitarist.

Alpha Centauri
A) who cares!?*%

B) But the best opinion in my opinion.

On an internet forum where people have to read, you should be typing with punctuation at least.

It doesn't matter if you regard it as the best or not, it's still opinion. If he was alive you'd not be saying it, I'd bet money on that.

-AC

Leper_Messiah

It doesn't matter if you regard it as the best or not, it's still opinion. If he was alive you'd not be saying it, I'd bet money on that.

Actually the 90s sucked, mainly for guitarists and when I would go see Panters every few months the highlight for me was always Dimebag on guitar since very few others at the time played with solos at all. So I definately thought of him as one of the best guitarists ever and that opinion hasn't changed at all to me. Although he is dead, it's nice to see him getting the respect he deserves, especially from Dean Guitars.

Alpha Centauri
If he didn't get it when he was alive, what does that tell you? It should tell you that people are guilty.

The 90s didn't suck, some of the best bands...well, ever, came out then.

-AC

Leper_Messiah
What about the majority...boy bands, pop, and spanish influenced trash.

I mean, I like Rage Against the Machine, Pearl Jam, AIC, and Stone Temple Pilots as much as the next guy but what a shame that they didn't dominate the decade.

Victor Von Doom
The majority of bands are always shit.

People need to realise this.

Alpha Centauri
What about the majority...boy bands, pop, and spanish influenced trash.

I mean, I like Rage Against the Machine, Pearl Jam, AIC, and Stone Temple Pilots as much as the next guy but what a shame that they didn't dominate the decade.

How is it a shame?

If you knew them, listened to them and loved them, you're telling me it soured the experience because the idiots who DID listen to the trash, didn't listen to the same stuff as you?

That's stupid.

-AC

pcp
it's a shame because they didn't get the recognition they deserved

chillmeistergen
How is it a shame?

If you knew them, listened to them and loved them, you're telling me it soured the experience because the idiots who DID listen to the trash, didn't listen to the same stuff as you?

That's stupid.

-AC

You really are just a tw@t that loves to argue with whatever anybody says.

Alpha Centauri
Be quiet, big people time.

Originally posted by pcp
it's a shame because they didn't get the recognition they deserved

What good is the recognition if it comes from morons who are just saying it for the sake of it, and not actually recognising anything?

-AC

Leper_Messiah
But usually the bands that do rock the decade influence others to sound like them and it's awesome as hell for the fans.

RedAlertv2
But usually the bands that do rock the decade influence others to sound like them and it's awesome as hell for the fans. A bands influence and a bands popularity arent really parallel. Either that, or a band gets popular and spawns a wave of crappy rip-off bands.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.