Unengrave iPod vs. Engraved iPod

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

InnerRise
So I recently just ordered a Video iPod 80GB.

I also just found out that if I had actually ordered it from Apple, I could have gotten something engraved on it.

Although as far as I know, my iPod that I ordered hasn't come in the mail yet, should I send it back when I do get it and then order another from iPod to have something engraved on it?

What would you do?

Thanks.

Please really try and give some helpful responses b/c I'm very anal about things like this and this is worrying me like you can't imagine. I'm stressing and beating myself up. Extreme? I know, but I can't help me.

Is It Comrprehensible.....

silver_tears
What the **** is the point of an engraved iPod? dontgetit

InnerRise
Originally posted by silver_tears
What the **** is the point of an engraved iPod? dontgetit Well to some people it adds sentimental value to it and uniqueness.

Especially if someone's getting it as a gift to somebody else.

Same as an engraved watch or ring or other piece of jewelery.

is it comprehensible.....

Mišt
But in 2 years when you upgrade to the Super Extreme 4200GB High Definition Multimedia Centre version, it will end up being a waste of money.

~Da Rev~

Lana
I wouldn't bother with the engraving. Because who's really going to look at it or care?

InnerRise

Lana
I have one, have had it over two years, and don't have any engraving on it nor do I want any. It's silly.

The Rev
get it ingraved i have found 2 ipods at my school a 2GB black nano and a 30GB black video and i kept both because no ones name was in it or on it so no one could claim them.

Jack of Blades
Originally posted by InnerRise

I also just found out that if I had actually ordered it from Apple, I could have gotten something engraved on it.

Although as far as I know, my iPod that I ordered hasn't come in the mail yet, should I send it back when I do get it and then order another from iPod to have something engraved on it?

What would you do?

Thanks.

Please really try and give some helpful responses b/c I'm very anal about things like this and this is worrying me like you can't imagine. I'm stressing and beating myself up. Extreme? I know, but I can't help me.

Is It Comrprehensible.....
Ok so my oppinon is this.But First What Do want more The Ipod or the Engravement?i woud choose Ipod couz that what i woud realy want.I can live without engravement so you can listen to my advice or ignore it.Do what you must

InnerRise
Originally posted by The Rev
get it ingraved i have found 2 ipods at my school a 2GB black nano and a 30GB black video and i kept both because no ones name was in it or on it so no one could claim them. Well I wasn't getting my name engraved on it anyway. erm

More like "Is It Comprehensible....." wink

Originally posted by Jack of Blades
Ok so my oppinon is this.But First What Do want more The Ipod or the Engravement?i woud choose Ipod couz that what i woud realy want.I can live without engravement so you can listen to my advice or ignore it.Do what you must
You say it as if I can only have one. I would still have an iPod if I got it engraved.

Strangelove
did you get the current one from eBay or something?

If you did, it'll be cheaper to keep the unengraved one

Scottie
iPods suck...sent it back and buy a good mp3 player

InnerRise
Originally posted by Strangelove
did you get the current one from eBay or something?

If you did, it'll be cheaper to keep the unengraved one I got it from LEGEND through AMAZON.

I'm about to take the 2hr drive back hom from college just to get it b/c I got a call today saying that it had arrived.

So i'm keeping it.

But since engraving doesn't cost anything extra, it wouldn't cost me extra.

H. S. 6
Why the hell would you want your iPod to be engraved? blink

You'd probably just feel stupid showing it to your friends...

§P0oONY
Getting iPod's engraved is a waste of money.... Yes... I'm aware it's free.

Ladyluck
I have an iPod video eek!

I think getting it engraved is a little pointless. Unless it was like, a gift to someone or something.

silver_tears
Doesn't cost extra though. That's what I wanted to hear. I feel much better about my purhcase now. Do you have an iPod, and if you don't, if you do plan on getting one, will you get the engraving?

I have a mini *exclusive diva*
I wouldn't even consider for a second getting it engraved, I throw it around, drop it all the time, almost lost it twice, I'm sorry but it's just another piece of electronic to me.

I can see the value if it's a gift from someone, and say for your like 18 birthday and you get something like the date and occasion on it, sure, but one you buy yourself, I say screw engraving.

If anything it devalues the ipod.

InnerRise

§P0oONY
Waste of money because you can't even sell it when you upgrade or whatever.

InnerRise

TheKingofKINGS!

What would you do?

Thanks.

Is It Comrprehensible..... I'd send it back.

And not get another.

§P0oONY
Oh yeah. I never thought of that. Probably because I never sell any of my things. It's so hard for me to part with them.

So if I upgrade, I probably wouldn't sell it anyway, especially if I got it engraved.

Then it really doesn't matter... Just keep the engraved one...

Mine isn't engraved though, not because I'm planning on selling it, I just think it looks kind of tacky but whatever really.

InnerRise
No, I had already ordered an unengraved one before I found out that you can get them engraved.

But I'm keeping my unengraved on anyways so it's all good.

Lana
I have a mini *exclusive diva*
I wouldn't even consider for a second getting it engraved, I throw it around, drop it all the time, almost lost it twice, I'm sorry but it's just another piece of electronic to me.

I can see the value if it's a gift from someone, and say for your like 18 birthday and you get something like the date and occasion on it, sure, but one you buy yourself, I say screw engraving.

If anything it devalues the ipod.

Minis suck...

InnerRise
Originally posted by Lana
Minis suck... Ouch. I've noticed lately Lana that you don't hold back.

Why the change?

§P0oONY
30GB video one... w00t

§P0oONY
Minis suck...

Not really..... They're still far better than most MP3 players.

Lana

§P0oONY
That's the Nano.... Mini's are older (not even made anymore).... You can pick them up on eBay for dirt. I agree Nano's are a waste of money.

TheKingofKINGS!
iPods suck. They cost too much, and hold more music than you'll ever need.

Lana

§P0oONY
Originally posted by TheKingofKINGS!
iPods suck. They cost too much, and hold more music than you'll ever need.

Oh yeah, they suck because they hold so much.... roll eyes (sarcastic)

TheKingofKINGS!
Well, when minis were made, anyway.

Nanos are a waste, too.

Not true. Very true.

The big iPod (don't know the gig number) can hold more songs than you can listen to in your entire life. The smaller ones still hold a shitload of music, and don't cost much less.

Lana
My 15gb iPod is completely full...I need a larger one.

Very true.

The big iPod (don't know the gig number) can hold more songs than you can listen to in your entire life. The smaller ones still hold a shitload of music, and don't cost much less.

It's cheaper to buy the larger ones, and yes you can very easily fill an entire one with music.

My aunt and uncle each have 60gb ones, I think, and they're both full, with different music on them.

§P0oONY

TheKingofKINGS!

Lana

§P0oONY
And cost too much.

Not if you think about how much you use it....

§P0oONY

TheKingofKINGS!

LanceWindu
There's really no need to have music on you that much anyways. Music is cool, but sometimes you just don't want to hear music.

I listen to music nearly 24/7...

TheKingofKINGS!
Originally posted by LanceWindu
I listen to music nearly 24/7... I couldn't tolorate that,

§P0oONY
There's really no need to have music on you that much anyways. Music is cool, but sometimes you just don't want to hear music. Originally posted by LanceWindu

I 'ckin' concur Ken.

Lana

So do I. I can't stand quiet, I need music on.

TheKingofKINGS!
So do I. I can't stand quiet, I need music on. There isn't enough good music to let me have variety, and listen to music for a month straight anyways.

InnerRise
Well I think I'm ready to open my package of what is to be my New iPod Black 80GB, my first iPod ever by the way.

I also have a Agent18 Case ready to go, a dock and a charger.

*Takes a deep breath...*

is it COMPREHENSIBLE.....

LanceWindu
There isn't enough good music to let me have variety, and listen to music for a month straight anyways.

I've only got 2500 mp3's, which is less than 200 hours of music, but even then by the time I listen to them all I am ready to hear them again.

Lana
There isn't enough good music to let me have variety, and listen to music for a month straight anyways.

There is WAY more than enough good music for that.

My iPod's got about 10 days worth of music. And there's still a ton of stuff I want and don't have on there because it's full.

§P0oONY
I couldn't tolorate that,

Now that's just bullshit my good fellow... There are limitless amounts of good music if you look for it.

Edit: Quoted wrong post.

InnerRise
*all smiles*

*Hasn't gotten past the packaging yet.*

Definitely better packaging than I expected. I'm so pessimistic.

*Ready to open it now*

TheKingofKINGS!

§P0oONY
I'm very picky about the music I like.

I'm pretty open minded when it comes to music... I like certain tracks from pretty much every genre I know of.. I don't just dislike music because it's not what I usually listen to.

InnerRise
I don't know how to open this little black box!!!

shock

Lana
I'm very picky about the music I like.

I am but at the same time will try giving anything a listen.

Trust me, there's plenty of good music out there.

InnerRise
The iPod 80Gb and 60GB are the same size right?

Because I bought this case and it says for 60GB but I have a 80GB.

So I'm putting it on but afraid it's too tight and I dont want to snap it shut all the way in fear of too much pressure on the screen and breaking it or something.

Here's a link to the case that I got.

http://www.amazon.com/Agent-18-ClickShield-digital-polycarbonate/dp/B000CHYS4K/sr=8-2/qid=1160592232/ref=pd_bbs_2/104-9748387-5314319?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

Is this an okay case for a 80GB ipod?

§P0oONY
I'm pretty sure they're the same dimensions.

InnerRise
Ok, that's good. I'm just paranoid, because when I'm putting the back piece on, which takes some squeezing, I see the front screen pressing up against the front piece of the case and you can see the imprint, you know, like a little darkened circles, like a face smooshed against a window or something.

§P0oONY
My iPod is covered in dents and scratches.... I have a casing but it didn't work... I don't care though, it still functions and It's not like I'm going to watch videos on it...

InnerRise
I just found this.

"If we break down Toshiba's drive offerings by dimensions, we get this:
30GB 5x54x71mm
60GB 8x54x71mm
80GB 8x54x78.5mm

The 60GB drive is 3mm taller than the 30GB; that and the battery is why the 60GB 5G is thicker than the 30GB model. The 80GB toshiba drive shares this height, but is also 7.5mm longer than either drive. It may or may not fit in a 5G 60GB iPod, but I doubt it. Those ArsTechnica pictures make it look like a tight fit. Also, the 30 and 60GB models are said to be CE (for consumer electronic devices) while the 80GB drive is PMR (perpendicular magnetic recording) which is a newer process for storing more data on a smaller hard drive platter. Maybe it's this technology that accounts for the extra length of the drive."

Does this mean it won't fit in the case?

Because I don't want to keep trying if it's too big for the case, even by a little bit.

§P0oONY
Those dimensions are incorrect... the 60GB isn't taller... It's thicker than the 30GB.

Edit: No wait... they are correct... Ignore this post!

InnerRise
I was actually referring to the part where it says the 80GB is longer than the 60GB.

silver_tears
Minis suck...

As if, mine's never let me down.

InnerRise
Someone please tell me how to use this Dock Adapter piece.
It won't fit into my universal dock.

RevoWution™©®
Get a U2 Video iPod lol. I have one and it's already engraved with all the band member's signatures hehe.

I also get a cool red click wheel lol.

InnerRise
Someone please tell me how to use this Dock Adapter piece.
It won't fit into my universal dock.

is it comprehensible..... is it comprehensible.....

InnerRise
Well I've been trying this whole entire time and the Case won't fit my ipod with pressing up against the screen more than I would like. I can snap it shut, but I think the pressure against the screen is too much.

Not to mention Ordered the wrong dock, the old dock. I had no idea there was an old universal dock and a new one. So hopefully I can send that back. I'll have to order another one now, the new one. I hate to lay my ipod on the bare desk while charing though. I have no case to set it in while doing it, no dock. I'm really down.

Wasted some needed money.

InnerRise
Ok. SO I figured out what I did wrong in my orders.

I've just ordered another iPod Leather Case, and the newer universal Dock. I'm going to try and return the dock I already have, but I'm sure I can't return the case that I've opened up.

Now. What would you all do?

All I have to protect my iPod is the case that came with it. Not good protection by the way.

Would you just not use your iPod until you received the better case in the mail or would you use the case that came with it until then and just deal with taking your iPod out of the case everytime you wanted to do something? Therefore risking dropping it everytime you take it out of the case.

crazy_shadow
engraving isnt a waste of money...if you put your name on it, and then it gets lost, but you see someone with the EXACT same ipod the next day, you can see if your names on the back...

that is if you're still in school/college

silver_tears
Are you like anal about your iPod What the f**k?
It's not like tissue paper, they're made to withstand things, not even wanting to set it down on a table.....that's just weird.

LanceWindu
If I had an iPod it would probably be scratched to hell. I could really give a **** though, as long as it plays music and the screen is okay so I can watch TV shows on it...I'd be happy.

§P0oONY
If I had an iPod it would probably be scratched to hell. I could really give a **** though, as long as it plays music and the screen is okay so I can watch TV shows on it...I'd be happy.

My thoughts exactly, although I don't care about the screen either as watching videos really drains the battery life down to like 3-4 hours. It's really not worth it.

InnerRise
Are you like anal about your iPod What the f**k?
It's not like tissue paper, they're made to withstand things, not even wanting to set it down on a table.....that's just weird. If you go back some messages, you'll see that I actually said that.

I can't help it. I'm like that about a lot of things, especially things such as this.

I'm really considering not even taking it out until I get my case in the mail to put it in.

I don't even like how I have it now.

It's sitting on top of the desk on top of the little case that came with it charging up. There's no case, so it's exposed to dust and the like, and I hate touching it right now with no case b/c fingerprints are getting on it.

I cringe at the thought of me earlier today tryingto squeeze the case on that I did get that's too small. I'm paranoid that I damaged the screen by pressing it on, even though there's nothing wrong wit hit, I still think I damaged it.

And just now I imported songs from a CD I have onto it and they don't put it in the order that they are on teh CD, they do it by most recently imported, so the last song, is the first song and that's bugging the heck out of me. I was considering erasing them all and redoing it.

This is only a small aspect of my life where I'm just uptight about the whole thing. Please let me case and dock come in the mail by this weekend.

3 more days. *Crosses finger*

I can't be the only person who feels this way about things and wanting to keep them perfect.

I remember one time I went to summer camp (bad idea) and it was hot, we had no air conditioning in our cabin, but this one boy had this big fan on the floor, so I slept on the floor. I bought down my sheets and covers and stuff and spread it out across the floor, and I guess I was doing it a certain/peculiar way because one boy who didn't even know me, asked me, "Do you have to have everything perfect."

I was like, "No."

And went to bed. I was perturbed at that. Mind your own d@mn business kid.

is it COMPREHENSIBLE.....

silver_tears
You're a little crazy petpet

InnerRise
No I'm not.

I'm just too good.

mhm

InnerRise
So this is the first official new day with my iPod and I've decided. I won't be using it, taking it out of this room until I get my new case, which should arrive this weekend.

I'm sad.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.