What is the devil?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Regret
Given recent discussions regarding Satan I thought I would create an official thread for the subject.

I'll start by presenting an overview of the Mormon belief as to the Devil:

JesusIsAlive

Lord Urizen

Darth Kreiger
Originally posted by Lord Urizen
According to Christianity, then yes you are correct.

From a neutral perspective, Satan is just like Hades, Anubis, and Angra Mainu; The only difference is that he happens to be more popular, and today many people beleive in him...just like people back then beleived in the other "devils" of thier mythologies.

In a few centuries from now, "Satan" will most likely be considered Fiction by most societies, as may God sad

Hades wasn't Evil though, he's not really a Satan.....he was just like all of the other Gods, except of course, he got the short straw, and was forced to rule over Dead People

Imperial_Samura
Satan got a bad rap I think.

First - why did merely rebelling against God make him evil? It seems like a big step from simply opposing ones master to becoming the embodiment of evil.

Was it really so wrong he rebelled against God?

Why did God not simply do away with him?

Logically if one wanted to get back at God one would try and disrupt his plan, not play along - the Devil comes off as God's servant still, dancing to God's plan - God said he was evil, so he was. God says he will lead people astray, so he does. God says that...

Surely he isn't stupid - I mean why not simply apologise to God and get saved? Or is it that God is cold enough to damn certain misguided without giving them a chance to repent? And why rebel at all? What possible purpose could it achieve (though there is something to be said for ruling in hell as opposed to serving in heaven.)

And so on and so on.

Regret
Originally posted by Imperial_Samura
Satan got a bad rap I think.

First - why did merely rebelling against God make him evil? It seems like a big step from simply opposing ones master to becoming the embodiment of evil.

Was it really so wrong he rebelled against God?

Why did God not simply do away with him?

Logically if one wanted to get back at God one would try and disrupt his plan, not play along - the Devil comes off as God's servant still, dancing to God's plan - God said he was evil, so he was. God says he will lead people astray, so he does. God says that...

Surely he isn't stupid - I mean why not simply apologise to God and get saved? Or is it that God is cold enough to damn certain misguided without giving them a chance to repent? And why rebel at all? What possible purpose could it achieve (though there is something to be said for ruling in hell as opposed to serving in heaven.)

And so on and so on.

LDS Scripture on the subject:

Satan didn't just rebel, he is still rebelling. My personal opinion is that he wants to prove he was right, that he can lead man wherever he wants man to go. His sin, imo, isn't just rebelling against God, his sin is against us in his attempt to subvert our agency.

But then, these are LDS scriptures on the subject.

Jim Reaper
He looks similar to this dude -> devil He enjoys trying men's souls,and sentencing them to eternal damnation when they fail miserly. He works for a guy named God. Some sort of partnership exist between them, since one was created by the other. He likes fire, brimstone, trident's, red capes, horseshoes, etc.... And apparently he tortures you horribly for following innate desires. On a personal note, I like him, he has a cool vibe.thumbup1

Nellinator
Originally posted by Jim Reaper
He looks similar to this dude -> devil He enjoys trying men's souls,and sentencing them to eternal damnation when they fail miserly. He works for a guy named God. Some sort of partnership exist between them, since one was created by the other. He likes fire, brimstone, trident's, red capes, horseshoes, etc.... And apparently he tortures you horribly for following innate desires. On a personal note, I like him, he has a cool vibe.thumbup1
Too bad he doesn't like you. He's kind of a jerk once you've seen enough of him. Most of the time he does stuff behind your back without you knowing though.

Storm
I view the devil as a cosmic principal that transcends religion.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Lord Urizen
According to Christianity, then yes you are correct.

From a neutral perspective, Satan is just like Hades, Anubis, and Angra Mainu; The only difference is that he happens to be more popular, and today many people beleive in him...just like people back then beleived in the other "devils" of thier mythologies.

In a few centuries from now, "Satan" will most likely be considered Fiction by most societies, as may God sad

Actually, Satan and Hades are 2 different ball games: Satan is the punisher of souls and hates God as well as everything he created. Hades, on the other hand, is simply the overseer/supervisor of the dead. He's not evil, unlike The Prince of Darkness.

----------------------------------

Regret, I LOVE your sig, homes! The Shelby Cobra is a beautiful example of true American muscle. Orale!

Jim Reaper
Originally posted by Nellinator
Too bad he doesn't like you. He's kind of a jerk once you've seen enough of him. Most of the time he does stuff behind your back without you knowing though.

Sounds like my girlfriend. sad

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by Regret
Satan didn't just rebel, he is still rebelling. My personal opinion is that he wants to prove he was right, that he can lead man wherever he wants man to go. His sin, imo, isn't just rebelling against God, his sin is against us in his attempt to subvert our agency.

Still seems like a big leap, just trying to subvert agency to becoming an embodiment of evil.

Why doesn't God simply give him a kew personality? Or show him some divine knowledge that proves him wrong?

If he is still rebelling why does God tolerate it? Especially if that rebellion is against "aganecy" which is significant?

Lord Urizen
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
Actually, Satan and Hades are 2 different ball games: Satan is the punisher of souls and hates God as well as everything he created. Hades, on the other hand, is simply the overseer/supervisor of the dead. He's not evil, unlike The Prince of Darkness.

----------------------------------

Regret, I LOVE your sig, homes! The Shelby Cobra is a beautiful example of true American muscle. Orale!

Hades is actually evil, but he is not responsible for mankind's evil. He takes no credit for the immorals of human kind, while Satan gets blamed for every evil that mankind commits.

Such a cop out...Satan must be tired of getting blamed for every little immoral thing that occurs. If he's really intelligent enough to tap into our minds as such, then he must surely have something better to do than waste time on ONE underdeveloped world like Earth, and explore the rest of this intensely vast universe.

Why is he wasting time with losers like human beings ?

Hades screwed over Demeter when he lured Persephone into this dark kingdom, made her eat the fruit down there which would bind her to Tarturus, thereby forcing her to stay with him every Fall and Winter.

He also had done things to ruin Hercule's life.

He's a bad ass mofo !

Oh yeah...the fire and brimstone......Hades owned that first. Then Satan took that away when his mythology came into being.

Storm
Hades was not an evil character, and was often described as just and fair.

Impediment
Originally posted by Storm
Hades was not an evil character, and was often described as just and fair.

I agree. But there was that time he acted naughty and kidnapped Persephone from Demeter. stick out tongue

Storm
Stern, cruel and unpitying perhaps but not evil. Persephone did eventually come to love Hades.

grey fox
The devil is the apparent sum and source of all existing evil , a scapegoat if you wil for man to lump all of his faults on.

The devil could also be Lucifer , a fallen angel condemned by god for the sin of pride .

For the uneducated and ignorant the devil is god.....only bad.

Damien B
a very minipulative being that is an ass-hole and should mind its own self not influence others.

Alliance

Hehe...you and cars...keep your pants zipped mate wink

Originally posted by Damien B
a very minipulative being that is an ass-hole and should mind its own self not influence others.

Yes I agree....the concept of god is a disturbing one.

Quiero Mota
Originally posted by Alliance
Hehe...you and cars...keep your pants zipped mate wink

I can't help it; I'm a mechanic, cars are my life.

Alliance
I can't help it; I'm a mechanic, cars are my life.

REALLY? stick out tongue

Quiero Mota
Yes.

This is my office.

Alliance
Ha. I'm only harassing you.

debbiejo
People of old tried to put a label on wrong or bad things happening in there lives..............sooooooo here come the devil and god.............do god good and he will deliver you.........(yet not true, bad things happen to good people also.)..........to appease the gods one must make a sacrifice ....it is all based on old pagan thought..............think of today, we or many make appeasing things to god, and yet bad things do happen, though it is said,"oh your faith is too weak, or you have hidden sins"............the whole idea of a devil is untrue...........it was not even talked about in Hebrew...........It was Paul (Mithra based) and the Roman Catholic church who instituted it and of course through Dante's hell ...........

Imperial_Samura
Stern, cruel and unpitying perhaps but not evil. Persephone did eventually come to love Hades.

Indeed - for some reason I always viewed Hades as the Mr. Darcy like figure of the Greek Pantheon.

And there were other God's I felt of comparable cruelty - the myth surrounding how when Agamemnon went looking for an omen to justify the war with the Trojans - one was given when a hawk killed a hare, but the hare was with child, which angered Artemis and she said she wouldn't back the war unless Ags. sacrificed his daughter - Zeus of course had demanded the war, it was Ags destiny, so he did so (which led to his down fall at the hands of his wife.)

Or how Apollo cursed Cassandra when she didn't fulfill her end of the bargain (that is sleep with him.)

debbiejo
Soooooooooo many myths that came before Christianity........soooooooo jump in, the waters fine.................no one will drown.

Imperial_Samura
Originally posted by debbiejo
Soooooooooo many myths that came before Christianity........soooooooo jump in, the waters fine.................no one will drown.

Except those unprepared to learn to swim.

"God and Jesus will keep me afloat!"

debbiejo
In their minds............

Imperial_Samura
In their minds............

Yes, the dark recesses there of.

Regret

Thanks, wish it were a real one, it's a Superformance replica with a big engine in it wink have just over 600 horsepower in it at the moment.

Still seems like a big leap, just trying to subvert agency to becoming an embodiment of evil.

Subverting agency is, imo, at the heart of all evil. Every act you can describe as evil has ramifications on someone's agency.

Why doesn't God simply give him a kew personality? Or show him some divine knowledge that proves him wrong?

Give him a kew personality? Would you appreciate it if God said, "Hmmm, Imperial Samura is a little off in his views, I'll just zap him and make him behave properly." Also, this would be the state of affairs Satan desired in the beginning according to Mormon belief, subverting agency. For Mormons this life is a secondary state, in reference to order of existence, man began as a spirit and was tested in some manner in the spirit existence prior to coming here, Satan and those that followed him failed that test and will not be allowed physical bodies. Agency was just as important in that state as it is here.

If he is still rebelling why does God tolerate it? Especially if that rebellion is against "aganecy" which is significant?

If agency is thus held sacred then it would be hypocritical to take away Satan's agency, especially considering he is the exact same as us in Mormon belief, minus the physical body.

Also, there is a time set aside for judgement, that time does not occur before the second coming of Christ. Satan will not be judged until that time, he has already been received a partial judgement in that he will not receive a body.

debbiejo
People think the imaginary devil is coming to get them and fear it.......and when they have a thought that invades their thoughts they think is it him, when it is only there little small voice of conscious...........

Alliance
Boogeyman?

debbiejo
Just like that...........and when I was 8 I believed in him too...................cry

Could tell you cool story about this ...but I won't.

Alliance
Thank you.

debbiejo
but I could..........won a contest with this true story of my cousins locking me in the basement with this devil man ..........thought I was gonna die............lol

Regret
People think the imaginary devil is coming to get them and fear it.......and when they have a thought that invades their thoughts they think is it him, when it is only there little small voice of conscious........... That's assuming the devil can really do anything on his own. Satan can do nothing a person does not allow him to do. The power of the devil is given him by men. Satan can't "get" anyone, people have to surrender to him. The devil to which you refer is very much a man-made construct.

Imperial_Samura
but I could..........won a contest with this true story of my cousins locking me in the basement with this devil man ..........thought I was gonna die............lol

Wait.... there was an actual devil man in the basement? Couldn't he break the door down or something.

And you never know, he may simply have been Pan, god of Goat Hearders.

Lord Urizen

Hades is certainly not the most evil, Ares was actually worse...however, if you look at all the Greek Gods, you will see that most of them were in fact BOTH good AND Evil....

Athena- turned an innocent beautiful woman into an ugly beast, out of pure jealousy....that beast is Medusa

Hera- tried to kill her step son, Hercules, NUMEROUS times, and eventually succeeded.

Zeus- rapes and punishes mortals left and right

Kaled
What is the devil? the devil is the hardest thing to kill in the universe, because its an idea. A single evil that is the reason for doubt, fear, lust etc in turn you grow to hate the cause of bad emotion and that makes it stronger. So long as people have emotions the devil cannot die, because thats where it lies

debbiejo
Wait.... there was an actual devil man in the basement? Couldn't he break the door down or something.

And you never know, he may simply have been Pan, god of Goat Hearders. Well I never saw him as I was screaming and running through the basement.........But I knew he was their waiting somewhere just for me~helpsmilie

Man I hated my cousins for that.............But I survived, I survived~~

youpi

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.