DC Needs To Make Some F****ing Movies....

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Draco69
Marvel is making a chockload of movies every year. At least two Marvel movies are released per year. 90% of them are crappy but hey at least fans get to see their favorite characters in live action.

DC? Nope. They've had Vertigo titles like V for Vendetta but they rarely release movies from the DCU outside of Superman and Batman. Hell the only goddamn DC movie that wasn't Superman and Batman, was Catwoman and we all know how that went.

So why does DC hesitate to make movies? Why do they only do Batman and Superman? Marvel isn't afraid to branch out of it's two most popular franchises (Spidey & the X-Men) Hell, they have a Ghost Rider and Iron Man movie coming out soon.

But DC? Nothing yet. Wonder Woman is finally getting her own movie. But what about Green Lantern? Or the Flash? Or the Atom? Or the Freedom Fighters?

Why won't DC make movies....?

batdude123
Because you touch yourself at night.

Draco69
Originally posted by batdude123
Because you touch yourself at night.

We already know that. I like to touch other people too at night. But that's besides the point.

H. S. 6
I suppose because DC movies are generally less accepted by fans and audiences.

In short, they're bad movies (besides Batman Begins). stick out tongue

Draco69
Originally posted by H. S. 6
I suppose because DC movies are generally less accepted by fans and audiences.

In short, they're bad movies (besides Batman Begins). stick out tongue

That's the thing. They've only made Batman and Superman movies.

Why do they keep milking the old and dying cash cows and focus on a new franchise?

Like a JLA movie? That would rock....

JLA vs. a White Martian invasion. Co-written by Grant Morrison.

Drooooool.....

Tron
Well, it appears to me that Time Warner (DC) is taking they're time with the movies they've been making currently, going with the "quality over quantity" approach.

Anyway, Marvel's movies are usually hits-and-misses. Also, they're usually done by numerous production companies, whereas Time Warner owns the copyright on all DC material.

That's just my opinion. Anyway, this belongs in the Movie Forum.

batdude123
Originally posted by Draco69
We already know that. I like to touch other people too at night. But that's besides the point.

So you already know the reason?

Draco69
Originally posted by Tron
Well, it appears to me that Time Warner (DC) is taking they're time with the movies they've been making currently, going with the "quality over quantity" approach.

Anyway, Marvel's movies are usually hits-and-misses. Also, they're usually done by numerous production companies, whereas Time Warner owns the copyright on all DC material.

That's just my opinion. Anyway, this belongs in the Movie Forum.

Noooo! Keep it here! It won't get the proper attention there!

*lassoes the thread to a nearby stop sign*

Validus
Wonder Woman is going to bomb hard IMO.

Give me a Kingdom Come movie though and I'll be set. Adopt that movie like Sin City, word for word from the book and it would be awesome.

H. S. 6
That's the thing. They've only made Batman and Superman movies.

Why do they keep milking the old and dying cash cows and focus on a new franchise?

Like a JLA movie? That would rock....

JLA vs. a White Martian invasion. Co-written by Grant Morrison.

Drooooool.....

A JLA movie would be terrible.

You can't pack that many stories into 2 hours of film. Once all the characters had a movie out, then... maybe. And then a JLA flick could be like a... "communal sequel" to all of them.

But until them, hell no.

Originally posted by Validus

I get the same feeling.

Disappointment along the lines of Superman Returns. erm

Draco69

Give me a Kingdom Come movie though and I'll be set. Adopt that movie like Sin City, word for word from the book and it would be awesome.

It's being written and directed by Joss Whedon. It CAN'T go wrong. Nothing he does goes wrong....

No it may not sell well because some zit-faced geek says WW is lame and some sh*t but at least the quality of the movie will be good.

Joss Whedon, people!

mad

Draco69

You can't pack that many stories into 2 hours of film. Once all the characters had a movie out, then... maybe. And then a JLA flick could be like a... "communal sequel" to all of them.

But until them, hell no.

Maybe if you do a JLA of obscure characters like Vixen, Red Tornado and Black Canary instead of the well-known ones.

Worked with the X-Men. Nobody knew their asses...

Validus
It's being written and directed by Joss Whedon. It CAN'T go wrong. Nothing he does goes wrong....

No it may not sell well because some zit-faced geek says WW is lame and some sh*t but at least the quality of the movie will be good.

Joss Whedon, people!

mad
Oh, I think it'll be a fine movie but as far as the box office goes, I see it pulling in some Daredevil like numbers.

Draco69
Oh, I think it'll be a fine movie but as far as the box office goes, I see it pulling in some Daredevil like numbers.

Probably. It won't be taken seriously....and a man with silverware comiing out his knuckles will be.....

Oh, the injustice of it all....

redcaped
Wonder Woman' Shazam' Green Lantern' Flash...as beginners. Cat Woman is perfect, I have it. DC heroes are more powerful but Marvel is marvelous!

Validus
Catwoman? sick

I think Flash will be pretty big though.

redcaped
CatWoman shows the legend of cats...the 7 lives myth and all that. She has a good shape and also pretty. This is a DC thread so don't take it out on me. I'm not coming back here.

The Prophecy
Go To http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0oGkk. 0WixFiOkAvZtXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE2M3FqdjRrBGNvbG8DdwR
sA1dTMQRwb3MDMQRzZWMDc3IEdnRpZANRU1NIXzM1/SIG=11i1qsot4/EXP=1160621108/**http%3a//www.comicbookmovie.com/

for more info on some upcomig movies

marvelprince
Its simply really. DC is afraid to push its lesser known characters out there. Batman and Superman are icons. Everyone knows them. Catwoman is popular due to her Batman association. Being all owned by Time Warner only means that TW wants to doubly make sure that their movies won't bomb. marvel on the other hand tested the waters, first with their more popular franchises and even then with others like Daredevil and Elektra which may not have been heralded as amazing was pretty low budget so there wasn't much of a loss. Imo there wouldn't even be a WW movie coming soon if it weren't for Marvel actively trying to get their characters on the big screen

SpunkySmurph
Two-Face and Joker would be good for Dark Knight (BB sequel).
They are both traditional Bat villains with grim, dark and grisly aspects which could play perfectly to Batman Begins dark feel

if its another success, perhaps DC will push more comic movies into action

Other ones I'd like to see would be Green Lantern, Captain Atom, Green Arrow, Vixen, Black Canary, maybe a Huntress spinoff from a Batman movie. Martian Manhunter could be good depending on how they do it. Same with Flash. He couldnt use the speed force, but they could come up with different stuff

roughrider
Despite a similar number of characters in their universe, it seems DC has fewer options - not as many characters who could grab the publics attention. Plus, being owner by Time Warner could be a drawback, because only one comapny is going to release your films, and they have a limited slate to put out each year. Marvel will soon be going exclusive with Paramount Pictures in the next few years, but they have distribution going with several companies - 20th Century Fox( FF, X-Men, Daredevil, Elektra), Columbia (Spider Man, Ghost Rider), Universal (Hulk), New Line (Blade) and Lions Gate (Punisher). A lot of quantity can mean some crap, sure - but Marvel is winning the battle, aren't they?

marvelprince
Originally posted by roughrider
Despite a similar number of characters in their universe, it seems DC has fewer options - not as many characters who could grab the publics attention. Plus, being owner by Time Warner could be a drawback, because only one comapny is going to release your films, and they have a limited slate to put out each year. Marvel will soon be going exclusive with Paramount Pictures in the next few years, but they have distribution going with several companies - 20th Century Fox( FF, X-Men, Daredevil, Elektra), Columbia (Spider Man, Ghost Rider), Universal (Hulk), New Line (Blade) and Lions Gate (Punisher). A lot of quantity can mean some crap, sure - but Marvel is winning the battle, aren't they?

Thats another thing I forgot. Marvel has liscensed the moive rights to some other companies so they can actually map out their movies to ensure that at least one comes out every year, whereas TW is limited with how many they do at a time.

But I heard that Marvel is gonna try and buy back the rights to some of their movies so that they'll have full creative control. I'm not too sure if anyone else heard about this

Scoobless
Today's CGI effects are more than capable of handling a Green Lantern film.... it may cost a lot and need a hell of a marketing campaign (because hardly anyone outside of comic readers has heard of the GLC) but it should be worth making.... and, dammit, I just want to see it!

don't shiv
DC movies have inane direction acting and scripting. and tonsy of merchandising.

DC does make fantastic Animation, Batman Adventures, JLA, Teen Titans, Static Shock... the dialogue is always crisp, soundscape taut colours vivid and action aplenty.

The Batman Animated series is truly terrible

roughrider
DC puts too much emphasis on a few characters - the entire series 52 focuses on the universe without Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman. Like they couldn't possibly get along without them. Would the Marvel Universe fall apart and go into moral decay, if Thor, Captain America and Spider Man weren't around?

Besides the above-metioned three, these are the only other DC characters who have big-screen potential -

Captain Marvel
Green Lantern
Flash
Swamp Thing
Green Arrow
Nightwing (maybe)
Spectre (maybe)
Question (maybe)

H. S. 6
Maybe if you do a JLA of obscure characters like Vixen, Red Tornado and Black Canary instead of the well-known ones.

Worked with the X-Men. Nobody knew their asses...

Well, the first two focused on pretty well-known characters (Wolverine, for example). Additionally, the entire X2 basically revolved around Wolvie, allowing for some effective writing.

We saw what happened to X3 when they introduced all those mutants, and didn't bother to give them a backstory, or flesh out the characters at all... erm

boriquaking55
Quite simply the reason more DC movies aren't made is because, well, most of them would be really lame.

Wonder Woman is gonna be another Catwoman or Elektra - none of them should have been made. In fact, I'll go out on a limb and say any comic movie based on a female lead will bomb. Sounds sexist, yes, but let's face it WW just seems kind of corny for the big screen.

Marvel is sort of the flavor of the moment right now, due to the success of Spider-Man, and studios are trying to cash in. So of course we're gonna see lots of their flicks. As far as DC is concerned, there are only a few possibilities - Kingdom Come, perphaps a Lobo movie, wouldn't mind seeing Darkseid on the big screen - but overall, a lot of the DC characters would just be cheesy in live-action. I mean, c'mon, could you imagine a Teen Titans or JLA movie laughing out loud Aquaman? Green Lantern? With all due respect to the characters, live action versions of those movies would be disasters. I always find the show Entourage funny because it implies that James Cameron would actually do an Aquaman movie and that it would gross as much as Spidey did. That's just stupid

NoFate007
The ones they really should be making next are GL and Flash, which would be big enough hits (especially Flash). Then they can start with the lesser knowns...however (and sorry, guys that like them) you won't be pulling in a huge audience if you try to market a Hawkman/Hawkwoman(girl, etc) movie in a serious tone.

Alfheim
It could be argued that Marvel characters are cooler. Characters like Blade and Punisher will do well in movies even if people dont know them.

Doc Potato
Hmm... nowadays, a lot of people just think comics are pretty lame. I reckon Blade and The Punsiher were MORE popular in taht people didn't even realise they're comic characters. I mean, the Alien "Quadrilogy" is immensey popular but do half the fans realise its based on comics? Nope.

Tron
Originally posted by don't shiv
DC movies have inane direction acting and scripting. and tonsy of merchandising.

DC does make fantastic Animation, Batman Adventures, JLA, Teen Titans, Static Shock... the dialogue is always crisp, soundscape taut colours vivid and action aplenty.

The Batman Animated series is truly terrible

To be fair , The Batman isn't THAT terrible. But, I do kind of feel sorry for the creators. They're in the shadow of the definitive Batman animated series. They're storylines and characters set the standard for what they'd be for the future, and even affected them in the comics. Now, how's The Batman suppose to compete with that? They couldn't just made a carbon copy of the series, they had to change it up as much as they could, and a lot wasn't for the best. But I guess they're doing okay enough, since they're going into their 4th season. And they got some of the DCAU creative team (like Andrea Romano) so that should help a lot.

Anyway, back to the topic.

Besides the above-metioned three, these are the only other DC characters who have big-screen potential -

Captain Marvel
Green Lantern
Flash
Swamp Thing
Green Arrow
Nightwing (maybe)
Spectre (maybe)
Question (maybe)

Nightwing could work, but only if they make sure to stay true to the character and tie it in with the Batman mythos. Like show the occasional flashbacks of Dick's time in the circus, his parents' death, his time with Batman (which the could bring Christian Bale back for), etc. Get Wolfman to help with the script, and you probably have a hit.

Oh, and Deathstroke would have to be the villain. I don't see it working any other way.

Originally posted by boriquaking55
Wonder Woman is gonna be another Catwoman or Elektra - none of them should have been made. In fact, I'll go out on a limb and say any comic movie based on a female lead will bomb. Sounds sexist, yes, but let's face it WW just seems kind of corny for the big screen.

Wonder Woman may not be the best movie, but I have faith in Whedon. It won't be a box-office smash, but it definitely won't bomb.

Originally posted by Doc Potato
Hmm... nowadays, a lot of people just think comics are pretty lame. I reckon Blade and The Punsiher were MORE popular in taht people didn't even realise they're comic characters. I mean, the Alien "Quadrilogy" is immensey popular but do half the fans realise its based on comics? Nope.

You have it backwards. Actually, the Alien comics are based off the movies.

H. S. 6
The only other DC movie that I think could really have the potential to rake in some big bucks (other than the franchises already started) is the Flash.

MattDay
the flash is quite well known along with batman and superman, although it goes in this order of well known: -

1. superman
2. batman
3. the flash
4.wonder woman
then the rest fall behind these guys, green lantern isn't that well known outside of dc, most people who follow marvel still know who the top three are but not many know anymore dc characters, so flash will definitely do well, it would be interesting on how they perceive him using his speed and what effects they'll use to show it.

Draco69
People don't need to "know" the comic book character in order for a movie to be made.

The general public didn't know who the f*ck Blade or Punisher or Elektra or Daredevil were before the movie came out....

NoFate007
Yeah but you should never use Elektra as an example of anything positive lol.

Too many DC movies have the potential to just bomb. These include the Hawks that I mentioned earlier, but it also includes Captain Marvel. If you saw that guy in a movie and you weren't a fan of it, you'd automatically think it was extremely cheesy and gay - which means they'd have to take a comedic approach, which would piss the fans off. Wonder Woman has definite failure potential. Why? Well, for one, look at how every other woman-based action film has been doing recently. They've all been poor at the box office and nobody seems to care. Now, look at all of the films recently that have failed that are along the lines of Alexander, Troy, etc. You group these types of things together and you don't really have a blockbuster lol.

DC needs to definitely start stepping it up, but they need to be careful. Release good films about interesting characters like The Question, GL, Flash, Green Arrow...but don't get caught up like Marvel is doing, and auction EVERYTHING off. I guarantee you that Ant-Man isn't going to be taken seriously at all, and if they ever go along with Iron Fist, same goes for that. They're going overboard and focusing less on what they should be doing, and instead, just want as many films out as possible. Its about time Iron Man got his own movie, but why did we have Elektra before this? Lol.

H. S. 6
Originally posted by MattDay
the flash is quite well known along with batman and superman, although it goes in this order of well known: -

1. superman
2. batman
3. the flash
4.wonder woman
then the rest fall behind these guys, green lantern isn't that well known outside of dc, most people who follow marvel still know who the top three are but not many know anymore dc characters, so flash will definitely do well, it would be interesting on how they perceive him using his speed and what effects they'll use to show it.

Wonder Woman is easily much more known than the Flash.

I'd say:

1. Superman
2. Batman
3. Wonder Woman
4. Flash

WrathfulDwarf
Marvel is making a chockload of movies every year. At least two Marvel movies are released per year. 90% of them are crappy but hey at least fans get to see their favorite characters in live action.

90%? More like 99% to be precise.

DC shouldn't be making movies about their characters just to compete with Marvel. What they need to is find a good well written story and a good director to pull it off. There are two characters that should get their own movie.

Captain Marvel and Green Lantern (Hal Jordan)

The rest don't need it.

Validus
Originally posted by Doc Potato
That's a good point. I had never even heard of Blade back when the first movie came out. I don't think being a well known comic character means a successful box office return. Just look at Superman.

OB1-adobe

But until them, hell no.

I get the same feeling.

Disappointment along the lines of Superman Returns. erm

They did it in Jl's first episode

H. S. 6
Originally posted by OB1-adobe
They did it in Jl's first episode

And you really think a movie, released to theaters, with live actors, would be able to successfully pull that off? erm

The general audience wouldn't accept it, and while the directors/screen-writers have tried to add all these stories/backgrounds, they've cut down and modified the characers, pissing off fans.

Wolverine2006
The Flash Movie is going to rock

OB1-adobe

DC? Nope. They've had Vertigo titles like V for Vendetta but they rarely release movies from the DCU outside of Superman and Batman. Hell the only goddamn DC movie that wasn't Superman and Batman, was Catwoman and we all know how that went.

So why does DC hesitate to make movies? Why do they only do Batman and Superman? Marvel isn't afraid to branch out of it's two most popular franchises (Spidey & the X-Men) Hell, they have a Ghost Rider and Iron Man movie coming out soon.

But DC? Nothing yet. Wonder Woman is finally getting her own movie. But what about Green Lantern? Or the Flash? Or the Atom? Or the Freedom Fighters?

Why won't DC make movies....?

well what is going on with the straight to dvd animated movies they are putting out?

roughrider
We all know the movie DC needs to make -

- WATCHMEN.

But they NEED to take the greatest care in the world, to do it properly. no expression

Arashi13
I heard Jack Black was cast to be The Green Lantern and it made me want to puke. If that is their idea for Hal Jordan or Kyle Raynor then I am glad they are not making the movie.

Ultraman Baltan
I want a Flash movie. The TV show rocked.

don't shiv
fantastic DC movies

Mr Terrific

Selina's Big Score characters loke Stark & Slam and the Wiz-kid would leap off the screen

Zatania

WildCat & Powergirl

Birds of Prey

brainchild81
DC puts too much emphasis on a few characters - the entire series 52 focuses on the universe without Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman. Like they couldn't possibly get along without them Ditto. DC don't give a f**k about anybody but those 3 & 2/3 of that trio is lame. Originally posted by boriquaking55
Quite simply the reason more DC movies aren't made is because, well, most of them would be really lame.

Marvel is sort of the flavor of the moment right now, due to the success of Spider-Man, and studios are trying to cash in. So of course we're gonna see lots of their flicks. As far as DC is concerned, there are only a few possibilities - Kingdom Come, perphaps a Lobo movie, wouldn't mind seeing Darkseid on the big screen - but overall, a lot of the DC characters would just be cheesy in live-action. I mean, c'mon, could you imagine a Teen Titans or JLA movie laughing out loud Aquaman? Green Lantern? Ditto for the most part. GL could be cool, but only if it's John Stewart and he's like the one on JLU. Wouldn't mind seeing a flash movie either. Make a really good movie about an obscure character that doesn't come off as lame or cheesey. It's sad about the female flicks because if Catwoman & Elektra would have been done right they could have been great. & WW seems to just be more of the same, maybe even worse because the character isn't exactly top shelf. "I've got a magical Lasso that makes you tell the truth & an invisible jet"smile The actress better be sexy as hell. She should put Rebecca Romjin to shame(not an easy task) Marvel should make a really good Supreme Power movie

OB1-adobe
I think an aquaman movie is very doable.

1. Environmental issues
2. general interest in the city of atlantis
3. cool undersea national geographic kinda footage

I think there is enough to do something. Espeacially special effects wise to.

Think about the phantom menace when Quigon and Ob1 are swimming to the gungan city

Sub_Mariner
Auqaman:Could be going to war with earth b/c of climate change and atlantis is getting flooded. shifty

OB1-adobe
yeah that too. Maybe some global warming crap also.

WW. we need a Kate beckinsale or a Jennifer connely, a little younger though.

Beautiful woman. Dark black hair you can practically see your reflection in. About 5 foot 10 with the boots on. Great legs, C cup boobs.

Themyscara.

Think of Rome in the movie 'gladiator', only on a tropical island though.

brainchild81
yeah that too. Maybe some global warming crap also.

WW. we need a Kate beckinsale or a Jennifer connely, a little younger though.

Beautiful woman. Dark black hair you can practically see your reflection in. About 5 foot 10 with the boots on. Great legs, C cup boobs.

Themyscara.

Think of Rome in the movie 'gladiator', only on a tropical island though. Kate's not big enough(A or B). Not sure 'bout Connely. She used to be sexy as s**t back in the Rocketeer days. Looks like she lost too much weight. For Aquaman to get over, the movie's gonna have to be ultragood & I don't see that happenning.

OB1-adobe
Originally posted by brainchild81
Kate's not big enough(A or B). Not sure 'bout Connely. She used to be sexy as s**t back in the Rocketeer days. Looks like she lost too much weight. For Aquaman to get over, the movie's gonna have to be ultragood & I don't see that happenning.

I can see it happening. I can see the costume already. His orange shirt is almost like a copper metallic color with the gold collar and wrist bands. The whole thing looks like fish scales that do that change of color thing in the sunlight

H. S. 6
I think an aquaman movie is very doable.

1. Environmental issues
2. general interest in the city of atlantis
3. cool undersea national geographic kinda footage

I think there is enough to do something. Espeacially special effects wise to.

Think about the phantom menace when Quigon and Ob1 are swimming to the gungan city

There's no way an Aquaman movie's going to work.

The general audience is not going to accept a fish man.

brainchild81
Ditto. Aqaman's kind of a joke. Especially in that costume. Better off making him like he was on JLU

Dinalfos
Most DC movies aren't going to work, I'm affraid. Take Wonder Woman for example. The female action heroine sub genre has yet to shake off the stink of films like Aeon flux and ultra Violet, so a Wonder Woman movie could prove to be a HUGE risk. And Frankly, given the nature of the character, a lot of work is needed to make the character fit for the screen.

The same goes for Flash, although his powers are much cooler in the eyes of the public. But still, the character might be a tad too old fashioned.

katie_girl09
I'm gonna go see the WW movie. I think its probably gonna be crap though. I don't think that its a predetermined thing that comic book movies based on women will fail. I just find that with comic book movies based on female superheroines, they don't try as hard to come up with a good story. I think it has a bit to do with sexism. They seem to think that making the heroine sexy is enough to make it a good movie.

katie_girl09
Originally posted by boriquaking55

I completely disagree with you. I think if they treated it as well as they treated the material involving their male superheroes (Batman, Superman) it would be a very good movie. But if they only seem to care about the heroine's cup size or how good she looks prancing around in skimpy outfits, I can see why it might be bad.

boriquaking55
Originally posted by katie_girl09
I completely disagree with you. I think if they treated it as well as they treated the material involving their male superheroes (Batman, Superman) it would be a very good movie. But if they only seem to care about the heroine's cup size or how good she looks prancing around in skimpy outfits, I can see why it might be bad.

Even if they did that, I don't see the film being a success financially

Sub_Mariner
Maybe a straight to dvd animated Auqaman film. erm

roughrider
Originally posted by Sub_Mariner
Maybe a straight to dvd animated Auqaman film. erm

Good idea.
Especially since he will become redundant as a concept, once the Namor movie comes out. wink

Sub_Mariner
Good idea.
Especially since he will become redundant as a concept, once the Namor movie comes out. wink

yes

cool

Anyway, i would probably buy it this way, don't think a big screen Auqaman film would be all so great.

DarkCrawler
Hopefully the Namor movie won't bomb.

Though I have to say, Namor movie has a lot better chances of surviving then Aquaman movie...sadly, the Super Best Friends have still left their devlish mark on Aquaman. Namor isn't as known as Aquaman, so public wouldn't have as negative feeling on him...especially as he is portrayed so badass these days (well, he always has, it's just that the speedo lowered his badass-factor by 70%).

As for DC movies I think would be great...

Flash (Barry or Wally, As the Rogues Gallery or Zoom as villain)
Green Lantern (Hal, as Sinestro as the last villain)

Accel
I always pictured that a Flash movie didn't even need to be done with the Flash outfit (cause frankly, I'm not sure any one can pull that look off in real life). The Flash could be a teenager much like the one who appeared in Smallville with just red clothing.

And I think Zoom would make an awesome villain.

brainchild81
Good idea.
Especially since he will become redundant as a concept, once the Namor movie comes out. wink Namor rules. Always telling people to shut up & smackin' 'em. I hope his movie is done well

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.