John Williams

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Spartan005
In the past few weeks, I've really come to appreciate John William's music... especially because I have almost every one of his songs for my piano. Anyway, which theme do you think is the best and why?

SnakeEyes
Did John Williams even do Pirates or Batman?

office jesus
Originally posted by SnakeEyes

Nope. Badelt did Pirates and Elfman did Batman. Elfman is shit anyway. As far as my favorite pieces of Williams' music? I can honestly say the Original Star Wars trilogy. Well..A New Hope and ESB especially. RotJ was kind of forgettable to me.

Tptmanno1
John Williams rips so much stuff from other composers its not even funny.
His scores are also quite similar, Chromatic runs and Horn solo's, With old throwback brass fanfares.

vintageSW77
Originally posted by Tptmanno1
John Williams rips so much stuff from other composers its not even funny.
His scores are also quite similar, Chromatic runs and Horn solo's, With old throwback brass fanfares.

Much as i love Mr Williams work(his non prequel Star Wars works are in my opinion the greatest film scores of all time.. Jerry Goldsmiths PLANET OF THE APES being up there with them)you are right about his work being similar.
They played a bunch of his stuff before THE DEPARTED at my local cinema and i thought i was listening to a bit of Star Wars Prequel music when it turned out to be from Harry Potter!

sithsaber408
Obviously I'm biased, but I'd have to go with the Starwars soundtracks.

That stuff is movie history, part of our everday culture even.

The Indiana Jones and Superman themes are also quite memorable and stirring.

Thorin

amity75
Yeah his work IS all similar but NOTHING makes me feel more like the coolest guy on earth than when I've got the Indiana Jones theme going through my head.

~Da Rev~

vintageSW77
I read a lot of people in the UK ask for Robbie Williams at their funeral...ill go for John Williams.
NOT the JAR JAR BINKS theme though.

amity75
The Asteroid Belt theme from TESB is my own particular fave. happy

vintageSW77
The whole Empire soundtrack is untouchable.

Spartan005
Originally posted by SnakeEyes

Whoa... my bad

I probably put it up there cause it was mixed with all my other sheet music that was all composed by Williams ... whatever

pr1983
that bit of music during the last stage of the fight between luke and vader in rotj is my favourite star wars music ever...

john williams is a legend... and deservedly too...

Kid Kurdy
Don't forget Schindler's List, some beautiful music can be heard in that movie.

John Williams is definitely the most famous American film composer.

Spartan005
Originally posted by Kid Kurdy

John Williams is definitely the most famous American film composer.

Oh yeah... I could only have 10 choices

And I've never seen that movie... yet embarrasment

Capt_Fantastic
He didn't do the Godfather either. Who's running this poll? Fox News?

~Flamboyant~
Indiana Jones, and Duel of Fates from Star Wars episode 1.

Mr. Bacon
I recently saw John Williams conduct the Boston Pops, that was amazing, selections from almost all of his works happy

Morning_Glory
Originally posted by Spartan005
In the past few weeks, I've really come to appreciate John William's music... especially because I have almost every one of his songs for my piano. Anyway, which theme do you think is the best and why? you didnt have Schindler's List on your poll hmm thats one of my favorites

Morning_Glory
Originally posted by Kid Kurdy

John Williams is definitely the most famous American film composer. oops... ok someone else already said it embarrasment

Antaeus
Strange poll - several of the music themes are not by John Williams.

Best John Williams and best film score ever:
Star Wars

Other great film scores are (not necessarily Williams):
Lord of the Rings
The Good the Bad and the Ugly
The Pink Panther
Godfather

The American Film Institute also has an opinion:
http://www.afi.com/tvevents/100years/scores.aspx

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.