Cowboy Bebop VS Samurai Champloo (Which is the better show?)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dusty
Compare and contrast, people. This thought has been going through my head for days now. i'm halfway done with the Champloo series, and so far I'm lead to believe that it is superior to Cowboy Bebop in many ways.

Here's some pro's and con's favored in my personal opinion.

Cowboy Bebop
+ Space Jazz
+ Sweet shootouts
+ Vicious
+ Spike & Jet
+ Space Battles
- Ed
- The episode, 'Brain Scratch'

Samurai Champloo
+ Newer, better, Animation
+ Sword Fights
++ SOUND TRACK (Hip Hop Samurai)
+ Amazing story put into each episode
+ Humor
+ Cinematography
- Can't think of any. Maybe some of the fillers.

Don't put in an opinion unless you've seen both.

Mark all spoilers.

Kayne Archeron
i prefer the drama and story in most of bebop, but i love the soundtrack to Champloo, and both have awesome characters, so it's kinda a tie for me

WrathfulDwarf
For me is SC but only because of the animation. I do hate that Hip-hop soundtrack which doesn't fit in the series.

Dusty
Favorite episodes of each?

Cowboy Bebop: Black Dog Serenade
Samurai Champloo: Bogus Booty

Kero_Co
I thought Champloo was kind of mediocre, until about the last ten episodes. Samurai Champloo is very good, but Cowboy Bebop is legendary.

SC: 4/5
CB: 5/5

Dusty
Bump.

Lana
Bebop. Hands down.

I can't stand SC.

calvs
Bebop for sure, But I like the Humor in SC better and the Animation and Soundtrack kicked ass. I'll post fav eps when I get home.

Dusty
In my opinion, the finale of SC was superior to that of CB's finale.

calvs
Originally posted by Dusty
In my opinion, the finale of SC was superior to that of CB's finale.
Nah. Not even close IMO

Kero_Co
The thing is, while SC's ending was great(and the ending song is more than worth pirating), it's not up there with CBs. Cowboy Bebop's ending made people cry when it first aired, that in itself proved how great a series it is. Its ironic really, because all through the series the characters complained how it was going to happen, and when it did, it was completely unexpected.

Dusty
Don't get me wrong, Bebop's ending was legendary. I just preferred the multiple explanations in SC. Really revealed some things about the characters we never really knew before.

With Spike, basically everything was there. Not a lot to offer.

calvs
Originally posted by Dusty
Don't get me wrong, Bebop's ending was legendary. I just preferred the multiple explanations in SC. Really revealed some things about the characters we never really knew before.

With Spike, basically everything was there. Not a lot to offer.
Well, we learned about his thing with Julia, how he knew Vicious and his story.

Fave eps:

Bebop: The Real Folk Blues pt. 2 or Hard Luck Woman. Both made me cry. Seriously.

SC: Redeye Reprisal or Bogus Booty

Dusty
I've come to a conclusion. I'm gonna say Champloo is the better anime. But by a hair. I just liked the characters more, the soundtrack more, and the animation/fights more. Just, IMO.

I'm not saying I didn't like Bebop, though.

Kenshinswife
samurai champloo has nothing on bebop, the story line had so much more to offer than sc

Kayne Archeron
Champloo and Bebop both get shot down for supposed "lack of story", though they have some of the most entertaining ones around. it sure beats 100 filler episodes *looks at naruto*

Dusty
Every time I watch one show, I prefer it to the other.

Just the magic of the two, I suppose. laughing out loud

superbatman86
I gotta go with Beebop.Episode for episode champloo comes out a little better but the overall arc of the characters and some ridiculously excellent ones(all the ones with Viscous) pulls it ahead.Frankly Viscous made the show.A bad guy with a legitimate reason to hate and want the main character dead.

dirkdirden
It's like asking me what I like better Cake or Pie....Put them together and then your talking.

I'd Say Tie.

Whiteclipse
I agree, tie - besides spike and mugen are practically the same character, both are almost unbeatable in their resepective shows, both have about the same attitude, a 'tragic' past(kind of- if you call stealing your best friends girlfriend or being a pirate tragic) and both of them are voiced by the same person(english version)Steven Blum does them both i think? (correct me if im wrong) As far as main characters go - total tie, as far as story/style goes - Bebop by a long shot - and when it comes to battles - im gonna have to go with SC-----but this is all just my opinion

Dusty
Originally posted by Whiteclipse
I agree, tie - besides spike and mugen are practically the same character, both are almost unbeatable in their resepective shows, both have about the same attitude, a 'tragic' past(kind of- if you call stealing your best friends girlfriend or being a pirate tragic) and both of them are voiced by the same person(english version)Steven Blum does them both i think? (correct me if im wrong) As far as main characters go - total tie, as far as story/style goes - Bebop by a long shot - and when it comes to battles - im gonna have to go with SC-----but this is all just my opinion

You're right about Blum.

And, both shows are just so great. What one show lacks, the other one contains.

Ricodrayz
The beginning eps of bebop were kind of stupid lol Sur ethey were OK but people make it sound Godly when the same plot could be seen in a sat morning cartoon with Bugs Bunny. The over all story when they actually use it in the episodes were great. Bebop is Gold lol but is overated(people say it is 11/10, it should be 9.5/10 =O )

Sam only had better artwork and flowed more fluently because it is new lol and it is the same freaking guy that made it. I bet if Sam came out before Bebop, Sam would be viewed better. The story sounded so crappy at the start lol to find some *** that smells with sunflowers but then moving through the whole thing the meanings and everything else twist and connect which was great, even the dead characters llike the blind woman was good =O
Humor in Sam was better too lol

lando005
they are both amazing animes but i like sc a little more

Kayne Archeron
i'm glad they gave Mugen and Spike the same voice in english, considering the creator made them similar so they'd be reflections of his own personality

MBreezy104
eh SC is better in my opinion, yeah Bebop was out first and yeah it's considered legendary but if SC was released around the same time it would have the same status right not plus Mugen is waaay more badass than Spike now i dare someone to try and argue with that lol

Csdabest
I loved Samurai Champloo. And Cowboy bebop. It just your preferrence. Samurai ending touched me the most. How they both found peace within their hearts and finally cound true companions. Even thought they all split up.

I hated how Spike died. >_< Even though i loved it at the same time.

NemeBro
I love both, but Cowboy Bebop without a doubt in my mind.

drinnocuous
I feel that bebop is better on account of the fact it deals with more complex ideas than champloo, one great example is existentialism (a philosophy that the universe is pointless and that everything is relative to the beholder; this is shown when the satellite developes consciousness, when spike talks about how life feels dream like, its basically what brain scratch is entirely about, ect.) I also like spike more than mugen because he's more emotionally connectable, spike is a very deep character in many ways, mugen is a cardboard cutout. while mugen is certainly similar too spike I never felt close too him. Finally there's the ending for bebop, its tragic, violent, exciting, and for me felt dreamlike (as do many of the spike scenes) which is important when you think about spikes character and what he represents. Either way they're both awesome and in my opinion the 2 animes you should watch before you die.

SSJGGogeta
Imo, I think they're both not very good, but I guess Samurai Champloo because it's kind of funny.

I just don't like either because they're both really boring to me.

Qwackers
I didn't think cowboy bebop was so great it seemed to me that the plot of it was just finding out more about the characters which led them to do anything with each episode without having a flow to it where each episode had something to do with the next besides the addition of new information and characters

TheTyrant
Originally posted by NemeBro
I love both, but Cowboy Bebop without a doubt in my mind. Pretty much.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.